1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. transhumansage

transhumansage I trust you know where the happy button is?

what are the odds that the druichi and the asur immediately start attacking each other?

Prince Charon and Assblaster5000 like this.
  2. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not according to the wiki. Dragon ogres and dragons predated the Old Ones but elves were made by the Old Ones.

Cuchulin and WereDragon like this.
  3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 Not too sore, are you?

Sucker's bet.

No way that someone doesn't at least pull out a weapon.

Prince Charon and transhumansage like this.
  4. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Here for example is an illustration of someone who suddenly found himself isekai'd into Warhammer.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He'd have to have some way to integrate the genetics of two incompatible species. Which he doesn't.
    The only thing that was firmly agreed right away was mutual territorial recognition, which was easy as The Empire and Nehekhara don't share a border. A future meeting was scheduled where other issues will be agreed, and the groundwork for that agreement was laid during the SI's meeting. In theory, Lybaras can now sue in Imperial courts if anyone from the Empire tries stealing from anyone in Nehekhara, but that's unlikely to come up.

The Light College are drooling.
    That was Rogue Trader, where models had a stat saying how cool they were.
    Here's another.

6. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Versed in the lewd.

I was going to scoff at the idea that the Maltusian database on the Ring would struggle with some low tier genetic meddling, but then remembered the SI didn't have a database at first, until the Mind-control starfish incident when he mugged a Greeny and coped his.

I'm still willing to bet the Maltusian clarktech and Orange Light could pave over such trivialities as "conventional physics" and "genetic compatibility", but he'd need to really want that for it to work. And if the SI is ambivalent on the subject of kids under near-ideal conditions with someone he loves, I doubt this version of him would have a strong desire for them in the Warhammer world, with his only-not-chaotic-evil-because-she's-mind-controlled elf girlfriend.

7. Assblaster5000

I could have sworn I'd heard he was in a novel or two, but that... doesn't really say all that much in Warhammer does it?

Prince Charon likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

I'm reasonably confident that wasn't the case. At the start of the Rogue Trader era, space marines were conceptually very different to what they were at the end of it. And there weren't a lot of books released at the time.
    [​IMG]

9. Assblaster5000

If I knew what was going on in that image it would probably prove a point. Sadly, most, if not all, of my 40k knowledge is based purely in lore, so I've got no clue what that image is meant to convey.

Edit:I am admittedly quite stupid at times, and my knowledge of the fluff is hardly absolute, so it's entirely possible that what it's meant to convey is a matter of pure lore and I just don't have the context to get that.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

At a guess, he's poking fun at the changing character of the setting over the years. Early Space Marines were basically just that: Marines in spaaaaace, with 'chapter' names just as flavour. Ordinary men in powered combat armour, with often-silly 'Hollywood war movie' personalities.

These days, Space Wolves are written as space Vikings who are all 'Wolf' this or 'Fang' that. They wouldn't be caught dead with squads named 'Howlers', 'Snarlers' or 'Tearers'. You also wouldn't get three captains in a single army like that (They'd be 'lieutenants' these days, under a Captain.)

Even the stats and equipment are very different, whether in the amount of armour worn, weapons carried or the very names. For instance: no 'Jet Cycles' or 'digital weapons' (alien-made ring-shaped guns.) 'Navigator' isn't a rank (It's a mutation that lets humans navigate the Warp, and thus not likely to become a space marine.) The marine troopers would have higher toughness and wounds, while the Intelligence, Cool and Willpower stats there no longer exist in the main game.

To sum up: Early Warhammer 40,000 lore is bat-shit crazy, and they were making it up as they went as a fun RPG-lite skirmish game. These days, the lore is locked down tight and the rules are made to sell models. :confused: Not sure if that helps, but...

11. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Though it's mostly just wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf, wolf and wolf.

And Leman Russ used to look like Darth Vader's ugly cousin.

12. Assblaster5000

It does actually, and it makes a decent amount of sense, so thanks.

13. Mr Zoat

Rogue Trader was kind of Early Access 40K.
    That's been retconned a few times. Remember, Warhammer came out first. They can't have been related to species that didn't exist yet.
    Fairly low. There aren't any biological differences between High Elves from Nagarythe and Dark Elves. If they're not dressed like Dark Elves it's not going to be immediately obvious that's what they are.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  14. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Not my least favourite of the alts, but not one I’m happy to see.

15. Assblaster5000

I think that this is the Astartes I was thinking of, and a quick glance at the page makes it seem like he hasn't existed since 1E, so it's pretty likely that he was never in any novels.

16. Darko

Darko Well worn.

He basically doesn't get any screen time.

Instead Cato Sicarius gets screen time.

17. crazygrox

crazygrox I trust you know where the happy button is?

I suspect that it's the magical background. I think his village is one of the only areas which both lacks a functioning waystone network(and thus high-intensity flow of winds), and lacks a significant concentration of Dhar.
    Essentially I suspect that elven fetuses early in their development need more protection against or isolation from intense magical energies.
    You could probably provide it by use of enchanted protective items or enchanted rooms for the prospective mother until the fetus is far enough along.

Vorian and Mr Zoat like this.
  18. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Getting sticky.

I know very little about this setting, but I'm fairly sure that if this problem was purely magical in nature, then the Elves, who I assume would be highly skilled in the art of magic, would have likely figured it out by now. I suspect that there is at least some major physical component to the problem as well. Like the lack of any high enough quality tools for physical observation during the process. Of course, if the solution was actually to remove sources of magic, there is still a chance that it wouldn't be something that has been tried yet, seeing as it's quite counterintuitive for a society based around magic to do.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Experienced.

In Young Justice Amazo was powered by either a Mother Box or a Father Box. In the comics? Yeah is pure bullshit. Justified because you can tap into one of the Lights like the Flashes tap into the Speed Force, but still bullshit.

There is a reason why I wrote an Omake of an Alternate Paul going all out EARTH MAD SCIENCE FUCK YEAH! Because is really insane. Earth is the true Mad Science planet in DC.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

Warhammer doesn't work on a retcon system.

If something shows up in official material, it's true, period.

21. Assblaster5000

I... very sincerely doubt that, but sure, give a link to something that outright says that and I'll concede the point.

Doesn't change that this is a fanfiction and if Zoat says that Dr. Manhattan comes by and just deletes Chaos then that's what happens, end of story, but at least you'll be right about the official canon of this particular setting.

quietwhile, Lord Ernest, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  22. Doccer

Doccer Not too sore, are you?

Could offer to make mods that'll increase the likelihood of twins and triplets. Sex changes though that'll be unlikely to work. Or speed up the woman's cycle so they can get pregnant more often too.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  23. Stsword

Stsword I trust you know where the happy button is?

And when exactly was this revealed?

24. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

Just post this every update. You don't even say anything else haha.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

Don't mind if I do.

And Zoat didn't make a comment on his story's Warhammer, he made a blanket statement about Warhammer as a franchise.

26. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

"Keep in mind Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are worlds where half truths, lies, propaganda, politics, legends and myths exist. The absolute truth which is implied when you talk about “canonical background” will never be known because of this. Everything we know about these worlds is from the viewpoints of people in them which are as a result incomplete and even sometimes incorrect. The truth is mutable, debatable and lost as the victors write the history…"

"But is it all true? Yes and no. Even though some of it is plainly contradictory? Yes and no. Do we deliberately contradict, retell with differences? Yes we do. Is the newer the stuff the truer it is? Yes and no. In some cases is it true that the older stuff is the truest? Yes and no. Maybe and sometimes. Depends and it varies."

Marc Gascoigne, former head of Black Library

In other words, There is No Canon! ONLY CHAOS!

27. Mr Zoat

And I have so much contempt for that answer. Serious, how hard is it to say 'sometimes we change stuff'.

28. Assblaster5000

A shame, I was just about to point out that the quote Vaermina used said all of that as well.

At least someone can read the full thing and not cherry pick.

Ardy and Someguy Somewhere like this.
  29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Honestly, for any setting or background where you've got a 'Your Doods' aspect to things, I think that you have to leave things either open to interpretation or otherwise give some grey areas for folks to work with.

Any Table Top Game or RPG where you are inserting your own characters or factions into a setting has to have room for that to exist without utterly destroying the narrative. Especially when there is a DM representing, or rather Reinterpreting the universe for the sake of the players and the story and game they want to play.

I mean, with 40k the Big thing in the fluff for that was the Missing Legions. Originally when it came out they were just unlisted, in something of a nod to the missing Roman Legions who's names and numbers would not be used again. It Also gave players a chance to say 'yeah, my guys came from ____' and to fill in the background however they liked. It let you shoe horn in your own armies and characters without messing up anything.

As 40k's background got filled in, it had to deal with this gaping hole in the lore...mostly in a very 40k way of Censoring all the mentions of it completely, in universe and out. It became something of a joke after a while. A recurring mystery that we'd never get answers for. The lore Around them got nailed down so tight that it'd be nigh impossible to come up with something to use them now, but the details were never filled in.

Then GW gave us the Horus Heresy Novels, where the huge epic legends in the fluff suddenly had 'first hand' coverage. This dramatically shifted the lore, as the stuff we THOUGHT we knew from in universe myths and stories were shown directly rather then 10,000 years of playing Telephone with the narrative (in universe, out of universe it's going from short blurbs in army books to epic novel stories in a somewhat more cohesive manner).

Thing is, even with this new Canon, with direct descriptions of what's going on, they still leave lots in the way of ambiguity. Just about anything involving the Emperor himself is so saturated with 'what you see and hear cannot be trusted' that there isn't enough salt on earth to take with it. For the missing legions themselves, we get writers purposely dancing around the concept leaving the smallest of grains of facts for fans to pick away at. Because they're fans too, and they're in on the Joke.

30. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Know what you're doing yet?

Visiting Ulthuan will be an interesting experience for Paul, I'm sure. Once his findings on Elven Fertility issues are shared, general opinion among the Asur might rise up from "dangerous human with a magic ring" to "VERY important person with a magic ring, treat respectfully".

And given the translation capabilities his power ring provides, odds are there'll be more than a few who'll be interested to note they don't have to speak any "barbaric human language" in order to hold a conversation with him.

Meanwhile, Paul's probably grown experienced in dealing with upper-class twits with the Reikland and Bretonnian nobilities at some parties that he'll be able to tolerate any obnoxiousness from the more gadfly sorts of elven nobles.