1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Old Knife

Old Knife Know what you're doing yet?

Diana is a daughter of Zeus right?

Godly heritage and legend wise, she's probably going to have the advantage.

Now if that were only enough to compensate for her desire to only do things that are socially acceptable in the USA.

2. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm sorry, but I'm kind of lowkey rooting for Diana to lose. I enjoy seeing Grayven have to handle this kind of clusterfuck situations, it's when he shines the most. Besides, this duel reeks of having pride involved in it, one of Diana's few but major failings. Astarte technically wasn't Diana's prisoner, but Grayven's, since he defeated the evil monster and as was explained this isn't Earth, so he could have decided how to handle it and right now is being more like accommodating to Diana.

Since supposedly in the comics she won, maybe she will do so here as well, but who knows what the result of either outcome could be. Theana here isn't sunshine and who knows what the rest of the fleet will do? Not to mention, we haven't seen hair of Original Grayven and apparently he has been on the ship and nobody could remove him either. Who knows what the hell he's doing. Grayven needs to get this taken care of, this is looking more and more like a distraction. A terrible, disgusting, deserving of extermination, but distraction nonetheless; and accommodating Wonder Woman's sense of justice when she clearly doesn't have any concrete plan sounds bad. At least he's actually implementing something to take care of these locusts with Artemis.

EDIT:
    What? Where did that come from? Diana isn't Zeus' daughter at all. She's made from clay, with Gaia's blessing. So she's like an artificial child of Gaia, more close to a Titan generationally than to an Olympian aligned God. It's just that she also has the blessings of the Goddess that patron the Amazons and hasn't embraced her naturally divine nature and just considers herself daughter of Hyppolyta and another Amazon, just one with (maybe extra) superpowers.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Not too sore, are you?

They probably are, but there’s no guarantee they work for Grayven. Plus! It is possible Effigy, an Orange Lantern, or a random spaceship laser that flew off into the void killed them. Thoroughly.

Seriously guys, Effigy could take this group, right? Martian shapeshifting, pyrokinesis, mobility, a mildly enhanced brain… He could take this group, even if they have effective swords.

Ngamer11 and FeepingCreature like this.
  4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

In the bullshit post 2011 DC comics world, Diana and her twin brother Jason were sired on Hippolyta by Zeus.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, those are correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

6. Darko

Darko Well worn.

The planet may still have plant life.

I think the previous one still did.

I don't think she's listening.

Psychopaths aren't exactly sensible.

But he loves doing that.

He really wants to.

I don't think fairness is a thing for these women.

If he challenged them and won then she may have seen him.

Seeing as she's helping Astarte she may be something like an equerry and was there when Actually Grayven came.

Concerning renegade not embodying conquest but rather acquisition, Obloquy actually gave an explanation for how New Gods can have the same Domain, or Mantle as it was called in Life Ore Death.

Basically it's possible for them to have the same Mantle, but they would interpret it in different ways.

For example, Scott embodies Freedom, but the type of freedom that is free of imprisonment or similar things. A less moral or ethical New God may embody freedom from inhibitions or morality.

We may be able to view renegade as being Conquest through political and cultural means rather that Actually Grayven's more forceful approach.

According to Zoat they managed to kill one and somehow figured out how to use the ring.

Though that was in the comics.

It's an understandable emotion.

To quote Rogal Dorn:

"This seems, accurate"

...TTS will not be making more videos....

7. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This Diana didn't have the relatively recent humbling fight with the Shade that Paragon-Diana did, so that's a good point. Paragon's roasting of the League might have prompted some changes too.

I'd be worried Theana would pick up on the invisitext since she has divine heritage and presumably has spent some time around the real Grayven. Not sure if you can speak in code or encrypt invisitext somehow. Tao shows that people other than those Awakened via the Desaad process can speak in invisitext, though I think that only happened once. Diana learning it might be cool; she spends time around Scott, Barda, Green Arrow and presumably Orana (what's she doing now anyway?) who would all have the capability.

This reminds me that Mortalla's spiritual growth was stunted as a deliberate effect of Desaad's processes, so I'm wondering if the magic of Harmony can undo that damage. Renegade might not want to risk Darkseid's reaction at taking her to a place that's metaphysically antithetical to him, but it seems like something to consider. If the meeting on New Genesis had gone better then that might have been a viable alternative to help her.

While I'd like Diana to change her modus operandi at least slightly when it comes to things like this, I can admire her ethical principles as well. And staying true to herself is probably quite important as a nascent Goddess of Truth. I would like her to grow in power or unlock her Titanic potential, something that's different from her usual style of combat, to have some actual change in the characters and make the narrative more interesting.

8. Darko

Darko Well worn.

No that's from the n52 and Zoat rarely uses things from there.

There's also the fact that Astarte has had millenia to master her abilities compared to Diana's decades.

Effigy was stated to be able to potentially destroy a planet, but they may be able to take him on.

As for the Orange Lanterns, most of them are focused on the war with the Reach so they may not have the manpower to deal with this group.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I think she joined the League, but I'm not sure.

DrThoth likes this.
  10. DrThoth

Yeah, I don't recall her being listed, and I feel like she'd still be too unfamiliar with modern Earth society to be the best fit. Being a combat trainer for the Team (and probably for most of the League) sounds like a better role for her.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

In the Shade's POV in Episode 109: The Other Half, he thought to himself that Diana asked him to go all out on her when thinking of how the more durable members of the League tend to take hits rather than avoid them. She mostly has been humbled, it's just that the Renegade didn't do more to upgrade the League's gear the way Paul did.

12. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I think renegade gave Diana Apokaliptian armour.

The same for the Team.

Prince Charon likes this.
  13. transhumansage

transhumansage I trust you know where the happy button is?

i thought it was established here that diana was a budding titaness or is that only in the main-paul continuity

RichardWhereat likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Well worn.

It's true in both universes.

transhumansage and Silveraith like this.
  15. Baladar

Baladar Getting sticky.

If Paragon had seen them use the snakes to devour the sapients of a planet, he’d likely destroy all of their ships and have killed all of them by now.

G-man hasn’t done that because of space god reasons.

16. DrThoth

He might have branded them or altered their desires; I know he doesn't like doing the latter but I think he'd be fine with it in the heat of battle. Since Renegade notes they don't seem tech-savvy (though how that squares with them reverse-engineering emotional spectrum and Omega Effect technology, Source only knows), marooning them might be an option.
    Alternatively, get any remaining Zamaron Pirates to enter a fight with them and just sit back and enjoy the stereotypical comicbook misandrist superwomen smackdown.

I'm now imagining what Tangseid would do if he encountered the Citizenry; I imagine basically what he did to Diana, just with a whole force.

17. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Know what you're doing yet?

I mean guys let's be honest here looked at objectively Astarte should woop Diana's ass in a one on one fight She has more experience Is fighting and using her actual divinity not like this version of diana who has just started using it while her aunt has used hers for a while

I think unless she severely underestimates fighting Diana And Mr. Zoat uses the force of plot There's no way objectively that Diana can wins this fight

At least not that i can see

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Maybe Astarte will be the thing that finally pushes Diana to use the abilities that she's been unknowingly preventing herself from accessing. As a Titan, she should be much stronger than she currently is. The things holding her back are the blessings of the goddesses and her own mindset.

19. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I mean, Diana won in the comics.

The Citizenry are so weird. There has got to be someone pulling the string to make this society hold together, because otherwise why haven't they fallen apart long before now?

20. Rockinalice

True true that could happen the Interesting thing about that happening is if it does Is is how she's going to control the massive amount of power she's unlocked when it does? Because the difference in power between even a baby Titan and what Diana is using now It's like the difference between Batman and Superman. Would her body even be able to handle going to level of power so fast as well?

Mr Zoat correct me if im wrong on power levels for this?

i just going of the only Titan we saw for this and he beat Poseidon pretty easily unfortunately that was an old Titan Who is well used to his powers and not a baby like Diana And even if she unlocked her Titanhood It would probably take her a few Millennia at the lowest estimate to reach her full power and potential i would think because TRUTH is such a broad Main DOMAIN to have she would probably have smaller domains in JUSTICE, WAR, BEAUTY, that she would have to master as well.

Sorry for the rambling

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  21. Rockinalice

Yes she won in the comics but like I mentioned she mostly won "because of plot" not because she was objectively the better fighter

I think that's one Of the problems with comic stories they'll come up with a villain that objectively speaking shouldn't lose to the hero yet they do because plot demands it Or the hero will pull out a power or something that was never mentioned before or even hinted at to pull the win

(bigest example is superman who is an average member of his race but does things all the time that a member of his race should not be able to pull off but does it anyway because PLOT)

This is why I'd like to Mr. Zoat story he has given good reasons for the heroes winning and losing fights and I can't currently remember any time he was just like "because reasons" that's why they win.

Cuchulin and Otto von Saurion like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Well worn.

If Diana does win this, despite Astarte being more experienced, then I'm betting that it would happen due to her tapping into her divine power and overpowering Astarte and catching her by surprise.

Astarte may not have so much experience fighting against other divine beings, due to the universe not having too much magic so the chance of meeting other magical beings may have been unlikely before Actually Grayven came along.

This is just my theory.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  23. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Honestly, I just pop my "invisitext to blue bookmarklet" for every chapter, because I never know when it's going to show up (and I mainly read on my mac or iPhone so the highlight trick doesn't work).

jasonh23761, Lord Ernest and Mr Zoat like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Diana won their first fight in the comic by using the lasso to restore Astarte's memories. The effect was so debilitating that she folded. No idea how she won the rematch.

25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down

Was Theena talking to Artemis when she said this or was this a challenge to Grayven. Also are Artemis, Green Arrow, and Tao all archer Gods. Is there some variation between their abilities or can they all do what the other can if they have the Knowledge/Experience.

DrThoth likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I think Artemis mentioned that she's connected to archery, but in a way that's like hunting or assassination related, while Tao is more your standard warrior.

I'm still not sure if Green Arrow was fully Awakened, but if he was then he may be like Tao.

And they can do what the other can.

For example Artemis was able to make those rainbow bubbles Tao is capable of making.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  27. DrThoth

He was Awakened at roughly the same time as Artemis, but because she spent all that time in the future, and Tao had been more or less fully empowered by Chang'e from the start, I presume he's the least metaphysically powerful. Style-wise I agree that he'd be a lot closer to Tao.

I was thinking of this as a possible resolution, but since Astarte has already been tied up with the Lasso and apparently remembers her whole life even without it (might be wrong about that part), and is still all bloodthirsty, right now I don't see how it'll work differently in their duel. Right now it reminds me of Granny Weatherwax's mind-hack of the Duchess in Wyrd Sisters to make her confront her true self and the damage she's done, which turned out to be ineffective because she already knew and embraced those things as part of her self-concept (actually the Duchess might make a good Orange Lantern, but in terms of capability and viability for enlightenment, not morality).

Vorian, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  28. Stsword

Stsword I trust you know where the happy button is?

You must have read a different comic book then.

Diana cut through Citizenry forces like a cuisinart.

It was quite obvious Citizenry technology< Olympian magic.

The woman empowered by divine blessings that she can punch a foe to the moon, is only slightly slower than the Flash, and can tank a thermonuclear strike was in fact just flat out more powerful than the Citizenry.

She took out an entire Citizenry strike team including Astarte, defeated their undefeated champion, and then literally tore through the spaceship to defeat Astarte.

While Achiles was defeating the gruel snakes single handedly with a melee weapon. Citizenry technology< Olympian magic

29. Rockinalice

Which is what im saying objectively Astarte has been fighting wars for Millennia. which means she has a much more experienced than Diana when it comes to combat single or otherwise and as a demigod of ares and an amazon Queen living breathing war for Millennia using her natural divinity she put her well above a Diana that has only used the power she gets from other gods. which is just a fraction of a Gods power. Which Would mean that Astarte should have beaten her. Just from lore reasons on how demigods and gods work

but lets wait to see how mr.zoat does this fight

Side note: its a comic fact that when any Flash is serious there isn't a single hero in the Justice League that's any match for them in speed or can keep up with them the best example is Flash War that shows this.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

Keep in mind just what War's she has been fighting.

Because this is very much a "Black Panther's Wakanda" case where she has so technologically outclassed her enemies that her tactics and skills should have never needed to evolve past the most basics.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.