1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Versed in the lewd.

The Renegade didn't remember that. I like how Paul can rely more on metaknowledge, while the Renegade needs to make do with whatever he remembers plus Grayven's memories/archives from his Fatherbox, and then Motherbox.

I really hope this guy doesn't capture OL, leading to an arc or two of OL trying to escape. Also, I love how Doctor Impossible just tells OL to cut to the chase instead of trying to talk things out, since he knows it'll never work with Sparta.

mastermenthe, Vorian, Ardy and 16 others like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So it's Grayven.

Ohh, so it looks like the magic on the planet was somehow damaged.

Not too surprising, seeing as it had a demigod war on it.

So it was him.

Well if Paul manages to capture him I'm sure the Titans will be interested in showing him some of their hospitality.

So even if they don't get the Seeds back they may still be revived.

Well fuck.

Or he knew you were there from the start and was preparing a trap.

Nice try Doctor, but what you don't know is that Paul isn't rational when it is most desperately needed.

That's Common Sense' ability.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    mastermenthe, Ardy, Oglymogly and 8 others like this.
  3. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

"This isn't a rational opponent you can talk things out with. This! Is! Sparta!"

4. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

I love this line.

Also, missing threadmark.

5. transhumansage

transhumansage I trust you know where the happy button is?

the doc tells it like it is.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Vorian, Alexandercctv, mauke and 7 others like this.
  6. Old Knife

Old Knife Know what you're doing yet?

What happened to you Paul? Why not simply surprise capture and THEN talk?

You were supposed to be better than this.

7. Ngamer11

Paul always prefers a peaceful resolution. He'll only go with pre-emptive strikes and immediate countermeasures when he's sure that that isn't possible. Also, keep in mind that Paul isn't operating at 100%, probably because of that Dream Exhorter that Doctor Impossible mentioned.

Maybe he can have those Venturians look into that, since Paul gave them the job of researching the Dream.

Vorian, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 9 others like this.
  8. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why isn't Athyn's with Paul? Did he not use the seeds?

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed, Ophidian. When it comes down to it, being that afraid does tend to wipe all other thoughts from your head, other than 'get away from scary thing'... At least OL won't have to worry much about the locals. Those that aren't fleeing are already dead...

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. One of these things took all the heroes and villains of Earth working together to stop, and some of them still didn't survive.

And likely it'll just absorb anything your ring can throw at it too. This is going to be a tough one.

...Because the planet would have evaporated in its' energy corona as it shifted into real-space? More than likely...

...Which raises the questions of how the Controllers took them down once deployed. The 'powerful weapon' option, I suppose. Or did they just not give a fuck and let them run riot in the local area?

Thought so, it;'s probably absorbing emotional spectrum energies too. Or she's got some kind of concealing device down here.

To be fair, if you do end up hitting something, your armour can tank it.

Don't get distracted, OL. Let's hope it doesn't sniff out the juicy morsel flitting about... Namely you.

Getting a real 'Spock flies into V'Ger' vibe here... Trippy.

Yeah, that's to be expected. This thing is basically a black hole without the hypergravity, in terms of energy absorption...

Well, shit. Looks like you're gonna be stuck with the old Righteous Face Punching when you find Sparta...

And now I'm picturing a black mist flowing along the walls all around him, heading for the surface... Spooky.

Ah, Sparta's sponsor, no doubt. Finally we get to find out who it is...

Which would presumably be what was futzing around with his head back during the fighting. Presumably meant to create a blockade against exotic travel methods, like Greediporting.

Yes, marvellous timing. Also known as 'stepping hip deep in the latrines'.

Ah, basically the Anti-Scott Free. The man with the convoluted plans.

...And he's worryingly genre savvy. Great.

So, the Ascendant war messed up the world's Thaumic structure. Which probably goes some way to explaining why the Titans fled. The place is probably inimical to anything with a soul now.

Ah, the Conspicuous CG effect again. I'm betting the New God device is meant to serve as a control system for the Sun-Eaters. And lets mere mortals bridge the functionality gap between them and a Maltusian in order to use the factory controls.

Ah, yes, the 'never gloat until all your enemies are dead' part of the Evil Overlord list... Critical failure there.

Overestimating your importance a little, are we, little frog? Too bad the world outside your well is quite a bit more complex than you wish it were.

Ah, so that's how they got it. Surprised he doesn't use a Hush Tube, though. Guess he didn't have all the materials needed to build one.

Or, as others have said, he knew you were there the moment you got near enough. Guy's a grade-A asshole.

No, OL, I don't this is going to be that easy.

Predictable? Disappointing? Annoying? Yes, yes I suppose it is.

So, the final boss battle of the arc begins. Thankfully, Sparta's not got the power of the Seeds to call on right now. So it comes down to 'can OL manage to match her in Narrative Combat' while trying not to get killed physically. Talk about an acid test for his newfound knowledge of Godspeech...

10. Ngamer11

Paul gave them to Athyns for safekeeping when going to confront Sparta. Athyns isn't going anywhere near Sparta.

11. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Getting out there.

I like this guy, finally someone behaving rational and genre-savvy in this arc.

mastermenthe, Vorian, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maltusians are godlike beings so they may have also been able to overpower these things.

Seeing as the Seeds were mentioned I'm thinking it may be something like a high tech voodoo doll, as in using pieces of the Titans to hurt them.

Grayven has separated from Apokolips so he may not have access to that much resources and equipment and needs to rely on other methods for some things in order to not waste what he has.

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

They are called Controllers for a reason- they have telepathic mind control powers.

Clonus' mutant half-human monsterspawn took over entire planets.

They might be able to command them to turn over and play dead.

They normally store their sun-eaters in suspended animation, it's not like they are going to feed them in between stellacides.

They might have a device to force sun-eaters into such a state.

14. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Knowing your power ring was about to be useless is there any rational reason not to bond with Ophidian to take care of this before the people/world dies?

Also altered mindset doesn't mean idiot and that is the territory your getting into. With a side of classic do the same thing over and over expecting different results insanity.

15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm surprised no one else noticed the threadmark is broken

Edit: Damn I've been ninja'd

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh oh. Is this guy a rational villain? Those are the most dangerous.

17. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It was there when I posted.

18. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Know what you're doing yet?

When even an Apokiliptan says you are cuckoo for coco puffs, you're in a bad place.

19. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Hey Zoat? What was that song Pauphidian was randomly playing?

About sitting down with your inner demons for coffee or something?

CTrees likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

21. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Thank you!

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Experienced.

Because it's one of the places with defenses that could likely kill the Ophidian if triggered.

23. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Refreshingly straightforward?

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He claims he's Scott's brother, which makes no sense.

The allegation that he's a Penguin henchman who stumbled on a Fatherbox seems far more likely.

25. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 I trust you know where the happy button is?

He also seems to respect or at least understand OL

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Ardy

Ardy Not too sore, are you?

truly theirs was a love that was never meant to be

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Earlier, I made a comment about Vaermina always being contrarian, even if it supports Mr. Zoat and the story. This is an example of that.

28. Dappershire

Dappershire Getting out there.

Or he just needs a distraction while he does his tech thing, and a calm discussion wont reliably give him one. Paul's gettin' played. Throw her in a frictionless bubble and move forward, Lantern.

Xmaster3000 and iamnuff like this.
  29. Ngamer11

He probably would, if he had access to his power ring.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  30. Coda

Coda I trust you know where the happy button is?

"dependent"

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.