1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

World Wide Inn

Discussion in 'General' started by Introspective Tinkerer, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Introspective Tinkerer

Introspective Tinkerer Searching for their Answer

While I was trolling around tg I found this new entry in the archives: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/33777600/

I want to hear what you guys think of the idea without the fuckery that is tg getting in the way.

So, do you think it would work?

2. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

not a chance in hell. when dealing with middle ages technological development levels alcohol was a necessity to not get sick when drinking something.

3. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

Magic changes a lot.

4. Introspective Tinkerer

As was put in the beginning post of that archive log the inn is linked to the different portions of the empire by magic portal.

5. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

You would need vast amounts of dimensional fuckery to pull it off - the countless portals across an entire empire, to say nothing of making one inn big enough to house every weary traveller.

It's incredibly impractical. So you know... if you have enough magic? Maybe? Of course, if you have that much magic you might as well move your entire empire to a dimensional pocket of your own design, or live in a floating city in the skies and look down on the dirty peasants beneath, or something.

6. Introspective Tinkerer

Can you at least think about what it be like to have an inn like that? I mean they had some very good points in there before the thread descended into idiocy.

7. inverted_helix

inverted_helix Connoisseur.

Here's the thing that doesn't make sense with that. If you have portals going to every place there was originally an inn, no one needs to stay in an inn anymore. You can just commute to your destination as needed and stay in your own home. Travel times become effectively zero.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  8. Introspective Tinkerer

Sigh, have any of you fully read the link I put there? Because a lot of this sounds like you're just parroting what some people said in there.

9. inverted_helix

I read the link. Doesn't change the fact that a portal network linking every town in the country negates the need to have an inn, since people can just stay in their own homes and still be where they need to.

Honestly that would be an amazing utility in itself.

I suppose in a magic world there's typically adventurer types that don't own a home and just wander the countryside staying in inns or camping as they go, for them rooms might initially seem favorable but it would still be cheaper for them to buy a house somewhere cheap with gateway access.

It would also probably lead to a massive equalization in property values due to effectively making everywhere an extension of the same city.

10. Introspective Tinkerer

They came up with some pretty interesting ideas about what the Inn would be like, what do you think about them?

11. inverted_helix

Really I don't know how you draw the line on what you call "tg fuckery".

The Inn would quite rapidly end up a sprawlng megalopolis with portals between locations inside it even I expect because it would be so large.

I think it would not just be like a magic airport but a world and empire unto itself.

Quests would all begin and end in the inn. Maintaining control over everything within would probably be very difficult, but effectively like controlling an empire but with no transit times.

It would dominate global economy simply because any trade that goes near the borders of the empire would find it faster to travel through the portal network. A small charge for each use would easily pay for the costs of building the network in time, the liquor tax idea that originated the inn becoming irrelevant.

12. Introspective Tinkerer

What I meant by that was that eventually the argument reset itself to the first complaints made and the person who actually made the thread left because people were arguing with each other over stupid things.