1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gamer System (Help Needed)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Sbiper, May 29, 2018.

1. Sbiper

Sbiper I trust you know where the happy button is?

Does anybody know where I could find a good overview of The Gamer System?

I've recently become interested in this concept, specifically in relation to ASOIAF.

There are a few Gamer fanfics out there that I have read, some are quite good and these have piqued my interest.

I've started to build my own 'Gamer' system with the usual components (Attributes, Skills, Merits, Achievements, Mutations etc.) But I'd like to see if what I'm doing makes sense and to get ideas for Skills etc.

Oh and Lewds Skills OFC :).

Should this actually go anywhere I'll post the story in the NSFW section here, but I'm not going to take it anywhere until I have a good ideal about Skills and Achievements etc.

2. Oniele

Oniele Not too sore, are you?

I made something that you can butcher to add things however you want to, never finished though.

Sbiper likes this.
  3. Sbiper

Thanks, some good info there but probably going to go a design the thing from scratch if I'm honest.

I have some ideas sketched and formulas for XP progression etc. mapped out - using exponential formulas so the the % increase will decrease with each jump but the XP value continues to increase. Currently the biggest % jump is the 1st one (35%) and the smallest is the last one (5%) - but that's over 250,000 XP for that last (Level 50) Level Up.

Attributes are the 'usual suspects', Skills come in 5 different types with increasingly more severe prerequisites. Skill Upgrades (attribute bonuses and additional.skills) happen when you hit 50% and 75% on certain Skills.

Merits are bloodline based and appear every 3 Upgrade Levels.

Now I actually have to describe all these Skills/Upgrades/Merits :)

Oniele likes this.
  4. Sbiper

So far the System I'm working on looks like this:

12 Attributes (STR, STA, DEF, DEX, HEL*, INT, PER, WIL, CHA, WIS, FTE**, SPR***). All these are 0-100 in terms of Attribute Points

*HEALTH
    **FATE (Luck)
    ***Spirit (Magic)

There are 45 Levels (Level 5 to Level 50) that the character can progress through.

To Level up from LvL 5 to LvL 6 requires going from 1500 XP to 2300 XP, an increase of 800 XP or a 35% increase.

To Level up from LvL 49 to LvL 50 requires going from 5,261,000 XP to 5,337,000 XP, an increase of 276,000 XP or a 5% increase.

Skills are Broken Down into Lvl1 to Lvl5 Skills.

LvL1 Skill - Requires a Single Attribute to unlock, at either 25, 50 or 75 Attribute Points i.e. Sword Fighting requires a DEX of 25 to Unlock
    LvL2 Skill - Requires two Attributes to unlock, either can be at 25, 50 or 75 Attribute Points i.e. Politics requires a CHA of 25 and a WILL of 25 to Unlock
    LvL3 Skill - Requires one Attribute and one Skill to unlock, either can be at 25, 50 or 75 Attribute/Skill Points i.e. Bastard Sword requires a DEX of 25 and a Sword Fighting of 25 to Unlock
    LvL4 Skill - Requires two Attributes and one Skill to unlock, any can be at 25, 50 or 75 Attribute/Skill Points i.e. Fire Dragon (Sword) Style requires a STR of 50, a PER of 50 and a Sword Fighting of 50 to Unlock
    LvL5 Skill - Requires two Attributes and two Skills to unlock, any can be at 25, 50 or 75 Attribute/Skill Points i.e. Fury of Fire requires a DEX of 50, a INT of 50, a Fire Dragon Style of 50 and a Bastard Sword of 50 to Unlock

Currently there are 30 LvL1 Skills, 27 Lvl2 Skills, 17 LvL3 Skills, 15 LvL4 Skills and 24 LvL5 Skills

Merits and Perks are still being worked on.

Only Skill System I know is the EVE Online one as I played it for 6 years, but this has only a nodding acquaintance with that Skill System.

Any comments or lists of skills that I could 'plunder' would be appreciated.

5. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Xenophile

First off, minimize your math as much as possible. The bigger the spreadsheet the harder it'll be to update and improve it over time. You don't need to create a simulationist's nightmare, even in the Gamer Manwha you don't actually see his character sheet all that often or even the ratings of most of his abilities.

KaiserMoon, Ronall, Falconis and 5 others like this.
  6. Sbiper

But does that not take away the main pleasure of The Gamer System in the 1st place? :)

uflesh940, highs2lows and Fijili like this.
  7. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Xenophile

The more you have to keep track of, the faster you are to suffer burn out.

Besides, I've always viewed the Gamer System as a framework to facilitate potential stories rather than being a draw in and of itself.

8. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Just a mild suggestion, but maybe let there be merits or perks that can negate some of the requirements for higher tier skills, or use a lower tier skill as a higher tier skill (I'm assuming there is an actual difference between lvl 1 skills and lvl 5 skills). So say a perk that lets you use Fury of Fire with just the Dex 50, Int 50, and Fire Dragon Style 50 for example. That gives some flexibility in getting high level unlocks, since at present without a guide it sounds like they would be hard to get by accident. The perk that increase the lvl of a skill on the other hand would let you go farther without finding those high level skills- you could use Bastard Sword in place of Fire Dragon (Sword) Style if you never leveled up your PER, and thus didn't realize you are missing out on a better skill.

Harpy81 and Snowdove30 like this.
  9. Vallan.Mandrake

Vallan.Mandrake Know what you're doing yet?

Some options I have not seen before:

-You can "force" the player to spend their stat-points on level-up by "pausing time" till the points are spent. This prevents the annoying "wait forever to spend points" stuff.

-Or don't use Level-up stat points at all - Level could be a stat/Skill Cap, it could be a multiplicator for HP/MP or other stuff.

-Generally, I think there are 3 important parts of the Gamer system: 1.No power decay (you don't loose stat/skill) 2. improvement (the MC will only get more powerful, with no cap; this forces progress) 3. self analysis (making the power level and options of the MC obvious).

-Create ID is not actually a part of the Gamer power, but a part of the Gaia world. I would advise against using IDs, because it allows a risk free way of getting Exp and Loot/money.

The main reasons I like the Gamer stories, is that there is a progress. I like non gamer stories with clear progress even more, but they are more difficult to write.

Other things I see that make me quit reading:
    -Don't do the usual percentages, like "Boxing lvl 1: Fists do 5% more damage". Because the percentages usually don't make sense (info: 5% = 0.05). I would prefer stuff like "Boxing lvl 1: Amateur Level boxing" or similar.

-Don't represent fighting only through numbers: "-21Hp -20Hp -23HP *miss* -21HP"... is not a good fight.

-Don't use Rolls or Saving throws.

-Even more, don't turn reality into a game. Sure the Player might be a game PC, but nothing else. So no encounter rolls, no persuation rolls, no Saving/Reloading, and don't make people behave like NPCs.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  10. Sirnerdlord

Sirnerdlord Versed in the lewd.

You could also use the ASOIAF cyoa for help and ideas.

11. Quantumshard

Quantumshard Getting out there.

Trust the replies that tell you to keep the math to a minimum. I wrote a Gamer fic over on SB, and tracking the numbers comes second to the story as a way to show progression.

Trying to do it the other way around makes things get unfun very quickly.

Snowdove30 likes this.
  12. MudkipSage

MudkipSage Versed in the lewd.

My two cents but;
    The gamer is based upon a grindy asian RPG its a grindy videogame not a tabletop RPG Active X/Day are silly.
    You have Mana. everything cost mana to activate. Don't add unneded resources.

Keep information coincide unless you are posting something cheaty. like
    Manly Aura Lv 1 - 10.58%

instead of

---Manly Aura Lv 1 - 10.58% ---
    +100% beard length
    +300% Strength
    +300% Constitution
    +200% WIllpower

The skills from the original gamer should give a good idea on what a good skill should do.
    http://the-gamer.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Jee-Han

You only really need to state it the first time, and maybe during a recap chapter here or there, like if you are listing all the bullshit you have got going on.

Numbers are there as a guideline, not a rule. Don't bother doing math unless you really need to. +10 levels in sword says a lot in how much you've been grinding the protagonists.
    Fights should only have numbers mentioned if you are making a point. If the villain of the weak does a shitload of poweruing up and the HP bard shows 1590/ 1600 That is highly amusing. Or inversely, if a single hit drops you to 1000/1600, same thing. Don't bring up numbers except for breaks in the action, or its critical to know that they only have 8/1000 hp left.

Don't repost skills all the time, its unneeded, and character interactions to show are much more interestings.
    "Why are you so damn good with a sword?!"
    'grinding twenty levels most likley'
    "I'm just a natural?"

Way more interesting than
    "Lv 21 sword"

If you feel you need to show lots of gain, just list them off and quickly move on to more interesting things. 1000 Strength isn't entertaining. What you do with it is. (Like juggling trains)

If you MUST do math, keep it simple, and additive.
    Base = Stat.
    Add percents additively, so 20 stat, with +5% adds (1) , +30% adds (6) , +100% adds (20),
    If you have Strength 20 and all three above +% incrase, thats +135%, just put it down as Str 20 (47).
    2 significant digets is plenty. Maybe even 1 for stats.

The Gamer power primarily does two things.
    It accelerates learning, And it negates error.
    If you can do it ONE TIME, you get it as an ability. Imagine naruto trying to learn how to cut the leaf with wind chakra. Hundreds of clones working for hours. The Gamer makes ONE dude getting it right create a skill, and then you can instantly grind that skill until you master it. This negates trial and error. Succeed once, and you learn the basics. Then just throw time into grinding the skill, repeatedly doing the same thing, like forging Iron Daggers in Whiterun, to learn how to craft Ebony Armor. Characters get stronger on the scale of a videogame. Hours in a game, is like months or years in real life. And games tend to assume larger than life, heroic kind of statuses of the PC.

Outside of the Gamer setting, it also gives Mana, which could be inclusive (Like if you have a Naruto setting, and you are just renaming Mana into Chakra, or accept that they have some degree. Alternatively You can have Mana be seperate from Spirit/Aura/Etc. But this will give more resources to track, which is bad. HP/Mana is efficient in conveying information. Time untill death resource, bullshit to do things resource.

Don't snark the PC w/ messages. Snarky Gamer messages should be subtle enough that your not sure if your just an idiot or someone is calling you an idiot.

Lastly:
    DO NOT DO SOCIAL INTERACTION!
    This is a fic killer. Do not make social interaction a part of the gaming system. Because then your protagonist automatically win. You can have them have gain skills for sex, massaging, kissing, etc et al. But do not make Diplomacy a gamer skill if you don't want that to basically destroy any sort of character development moment. Unless of course you juts wanna cheap excuse to fuck anything you want with no consequences.

The Abyss auction doesn't likely exist in most settings, so you have to decide how OP you want to be. Not including skill books, or having them be appropriately rare is invaluable. Have their destruction have CONSEQUENCES on occasion.

ID Create is universally OP, and i'd drop it and drops from any gamer fic remotely serious, because that power BY ITSELF, could break most settings.
    (Just infinite weak harvestable monsters could break ASOIAF. "Winter is coming. But who cares, we have mats/drops for days"

At least IRL boars are limited in supply.

13. DropBear

DropBear Tourists Taste Terrific

I've been reading a lot of litrpg stuff lately, and something I've only seen twice so far is "The Path/Way." Basically, every time you get a skill level, you get a point that you can put in a path/way. Example Paths include something like "Path of The Newbie 0/10" that at 5 points in gives some free attributes, and at the full 10 might give bonus HP/Mana on level up. I found this really interesting. Not sure if it's something you want to add, but it could be fun to see your take on it.

14. GhostHaxStomp

GhostHaxStomp I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’ve been working on a system for a while now, but I only now found this thread. I’m trying to make something that doesn’t get too ridiculous, what with multiplicative synergy and all, but I’m wondering if you guys have any advice? Btw, “HumanCap” is just a placeholder I have for the physical limits a human could have, disregarding magic or gene-mods.

HP: (50+VIT)LVL

HP Regen: VIT/10%/s

MP: (50+INT)LVL

MP Regen: WIS/10%/s

(Name) Lvl 1.
    (Class)
    HP: 56/56 (0.6/s)
    MP: 67/67 (1.4/s)
    STR: Human Cap 25
    VIT: Human Cap 30
    DEX: Human Cap 27
    INT: Human Cap 45
    WIS: Human Cap 50
    LUK: No Cap

I’m hoping that by making HP and MP dependent on level, I can ignore bullshit like a level 1 punch-guy smacking around a level 20 wizard while ignoring all spells. Any advice?

MudkipSage and Malbutorius like this.
  15. MudkipSage

So in no particular order;

HP/MP, I don't really see the problem w/ a wizard getting punched out by a normal dude. WIzard should of had 50 or something buffs preventing that exact scenario, and shouldn't of let an enemy get close enough to punch them in the first place. Glass Cannons are not notably more tough than an average person, but they are on the SUPER human level, so they traded away beyound human durability for significantly more punch, and utility.

Mana should already depend on level. You get Stat points at level, you put them into INT to get mana.

Also if you multiply by level, you are actually adding progressively less.
    Lv 1-> 2 : 100% increase,
    2->3 50% increase,
    3->4: 33% increase,
    4->5 20% increase, and so on.
    Just make it 50 per Level + Stat, and save yourself dividing. More math = Bad when writing fics
    (Unless you have a secret love for calculus, in which case, may god have mercy upon your soul.)

Regen should be something that you cannot rely upon in the middle of combat unless you want a Kirito scenario where someone literally cannot damage the protagonist due to their absurdly high regen/HP pool. This WILL force you to have absurdly tough antagonists because they will have to alpha strike with every attack, and no one who cant dish out enough damage will have any hope. I'd advise haveing base regen being really low, quickly getting into the hours per HP/MP bar recovery, then having skills that passively speed it up. You can then control grinding per day, by controlling how many regen buffs, and their strength, and make the prospect of spamming skills to level them less appealing depending on the setting because mana spent grinding is mana you can't spend staying alive.

Class: The Gamer?
    Most humans don't have Gamer Body, which recovers fully upon resting in a bed. A broken bone doesn't get better w/ a night at an inn, it requires a visit to the hospital, a sling, or possibly a cast, and several weeks/months to heal. Class could just be how the game system defines them, but in source material, most people have a Title next to their name if they have any remarkable attributes.

Human Caps while interesting in how you calculated it, probably dont apply to the Gamer. The entire point is that videogames ignore silly trivialities like reality, and reason.

Also, "Cap" implies that humans cannot go beyond this number, which is silly. Most people probably only comfortably lift 50lb, but what about those strongmen who set world records dead lifting 1000lb?

Knowing what your caps are is a good baseline, but don't make it a hard rule. (Also determining a baseline stat wise is useful, as you can adjust from there. 20 is a good baseline because it multiplies very easily, and you can figure people having gained around 95 points from levels, assuming a newborn is 1-5 in non luck stats , making the average person lv 10-20 depending on their ability. The aformentioned Strogmen probably have a title which improves gains for Strength/Vit, and record holders probably are higher level depending on how you determine your baseline.

Anyways, again my 2 cents.

Ibskib and GhostHaxStomp like this.
  16. GhostHaxStomp

GhostHaxStomp I trust you know where the happy button is?

The problem isn’t really a jacked dude bashing over some wimp with a cool stick, but that said jacked dude has enough stretch and durability to ignore bullshit from a guy 20 levels ahead. It’s one of the issues I have with most Gamer five actually, since most of the time the MC can gain stats regardless of level; leading to a level 3 “civilian” killing the dragon in one attack.

So at level 1 the protagonist HP is Lvl(50+Stat)? Or there’s a base number and every level adds 50+Stat to it? Would gaining a VIT point retroactively change HP, or would all changes wait until next level up?

That’s a good idea. But how much should I limit it? I was going to just do a percentage of whatever stat, but then changed it to 10% of VIT/WIS because that’s easy math and not a lot if those stats are low. Should it be closer to 1%, or even something like 0.1% per second?

One thing I'm keeping is the per second values, because it always annoys me how in gamer fics their pools don’t move until 60 seconds have passed.

These are kinda placeholder soft caps right now. The general average for a healthy guy, really. So yeah, I’m probably going to change them around a bit more.

Thatnks for the assist!

MudkipSage likes this.
  17. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Xenophile

Here's an idea, downgrade Gamer's Body and Gamer's Mind to something that allows for tension.

Hero's Body: Your form is mighty and unyielding! So long as you have so much as an ounce of life left in you're body you will be able to carry on! Ignoring pain easily and not causing harm due to strenuous movements! You will still be able to be harmed and take injuries, but if it doesn't kill you outright, it won't. And physical injury can be recovered from, from severed limbs to lost organs, so long as the strike isn't fatal you will not die.

Hero's Mind: What kind of hero can't go up against incredible odds and fight regardless when needed? You have a keen mind that is immune to fear effects, this does not give you a bloated sense of ego, only that you will be able to remain calm in combat regardless of circumstances, as well as granting increased resistance to artificially induced mental effects.

18. MudkipSage

Fair enough, and yeah the abilty to grind stats AND get points per level, is kind of wonky. Pick one?

I was saying [50*lv) + Stat, which makes Vitality kind of pointless unless you are getting 100's per level...
    Looking back at previous post, it wasn't a very good baseline.

(Level*5) + (Stat) would probably be better. With the average "Teen" being lv 8-12, adults being 14-20, Children being 2-5. The point is that you need a "core" HP pool which is bulky enough to take a decent hit. Even squishy game characters can take a modest amount of damage, at least from mobs and the like.

Current HP should always reflect the amount of VIT a person has RIGHT NOW. If VIT goes up, HP goes up. Don't do "on levelup" stuff. Only villains do that! There shouldn't be punishments for having low VIT at low levels other than it being harder to not die. Same for the rest, the difficulty of having low X should be the logical problems that being weaker in that aspect should imply. A Gamer with stats uniformly high is going to be balanced, and able to adapt resonably well than a specialist who is avg human in some thing, but godly at others.

Regardless, The Gamer should end up being superhuman pretty damn fast, and should have appropriately difficult opponents.

Multiplying is generally bad, but if thats how you want to do it okay.
    The % is less important than the time it takes. .1% per second means every 10 second you gain 1%, so 1000 seconds = 100% bars. So 17 min to refill.
    You want at least an hour if you want regeneration to be an obstacle, because don't forget that The Gamer is regaining MP WHILE they are grinding. If you can grind 24/7 they are going to get more powerful that much faster. Having a FLAT regeneration may work better, because as stats go up, the amount of helpfulness of regeneration goes down. Wis stat being high, not withstanding.

One of the really cleaver things the Manwha does is "perks" at certain levels, 50, 100, 200 of a stat. I'd give 100 regen / hour, w/ a base pool of 100, BUT make the mana pool jump upwards in size with the perks, but let the mana regen lag behind. Then give large boosts with perks at the 50/100/200 marks.

Lets say you have a pool of 100 mana, with 100 regen per hour. Int increases the pool by x10 at each "perk level" (and increases magical power by chunk as well, cuz Int = magical damage)
    so at stat level 50/100/200 you have 1000, 10,000 and 100,000 mana.

But if regen increases at say 500(2 hours), 1000(10 hours), 2000 per hour(20 hours)? That recovery rate is going to drop, slowing grinding, but allowing for the protagonist to build up his mana pool for fights and the like. His ability to jump his skills is reliant on his regen, with skills costing more mana as they get more powerful.

There is no discernible difference between 60 mana per min, and 1 mana per second, other than taste, and the processing power it takes on your computer when a game is running. just put it in 1 second intervals if that makes you happy xD

Most people just take advantage that 1/min intervals means a character could get a (literal) last minute hp boost to let them live in a dramatic fashion after getting hit for 101 dmg when they have 99 hp left, but they recovered 5 hp so they made it. 1 hour/Min intervals is also more useful for calculating grinding times. Which The Gamer's tend to do.

I would figure out where a "weak" human is, and where a "strong" human is and go from there, baseline stats should be roughly even.

All that being said, i think there is something to be said about SKILL. In the original Gamer fic, the reason the protagonist is OP isn't that his stats are fantastic, they are, but they are obtainable by peopel in the world. The reason he is so OP, is he gets skills which reflect his stats, and improves them at an impossible rate.

Currently he has like 200 int. which makes him on the level of super geniuses w/ photographic memory and whatnot. There ARE other people with this kind of stat layout, and his teacher has even higher still.

The way he gets OP is that he has like 5x different buffs, which are magic based, and thus look at INT for how strong they are. They then get MORE powerful because simply having them active makes them slowly creep upwards in efficiency. so every hour he runs aroudn with buffs all his buffs get slightly stronger. He spends HOURS and HOURS grinding these spells, so what was originally something like

"Add 30% INT to your HP (60)" and "Your skin gains damage reduction equal to 1% int ( Dr= 2 ))
    Add +30 skill levels and it becomes something like
    "Add 390% INT to your HP (780)" and "Your skin gains damage reduction equal to 29% Int (DR = 58)

The thing is, learning any of these spells would be the results of several months, and getting them to the level he does would take years. He learns skills instantly via getting it right ONCE, and then gets them up in a matter of weeks/months.

Hope this was helpful, remember that stats/skills are less important than characters and goals, and it probably will work out no matter how bad the system is xD

Ibskib likes this.
  19. Hexxy666

Hexxy666 excuse me going through a mental break

As I know from any Gamer related systems, the mechanics are actually kinda pointless, it's more an artificial form of progression more than anything. Bigger numbers giving the illusion that the protag is getting tougher.

Any serious attempts to apply them lead to burnout, especially if they are as complex as the original source material. The only thing I can say is to make sure your system is solid, and STICK with it, no, editing it in the middle or adding on shit, down that path leads madness.

20. NowaifuNolaifu

NowaifuNolaifu Oh myyyyy...

Frankly i have come to abhorr that powerset.
    Everything gives you exp, every skill gets buffed, every new skill or whatever gets its own buff and every buff stacks itself with the rest. Evrything he can do gets autocompleted. Chapters become lists of "Things i did and a vague math of the buffs"

Gamer Bod eliminates tension from wounds. He can get impaled, still fight, and after sleeping nothing happened. Cheap and pointless tension.

Gamer mind us an excuse for not having character "Always cool and rational an unaffected by mind stuff (one of the few counters it actually has). And prevent even boredom to so much as be a bump.

Any development is easy "i spent the night curling a twig for extra str". Is just like PA fics "I made a billion robots and/with [25-lines of scifi technobabble]

The only reason the original Gamer even worked was because it could just pull stronger enemies from wherever.

So far the only goid fic of gamer was this Naruto/Fallout one

Either nerf the thing into a "reasonsble" rage, pick another system or settle for a comedy-crack

21. OutcastLich

OutcastLich Versed in the lewd.

Edit: both the fic and the site are NSFW.

If you haven't heard of it there is a completely AU gamer fic on the CHYOA site that has about dozen different paths that each the same basic system but add new mechanics to adjust the formula. the currently longest branch is probably the best and most developed. And as a quick summary of the common elements in the gamer powers there are 3 that I think everyone should use

SEP(Skill Evolution Points) - rather than automatically prestiging into a better skill at max level skill are instead upgraded with SEP that are awarding through bosses, achievements, etc, and the gamer can do so at any level of the skill giving him a list of options based on the skill being upgraded and this system applies to upgrading elementals to their next tier. This provides motivation to focus on a limited skill set as opposed to grabbing every skill possible and cleans up the messes caused gamer that are literally every variation of every class ever at once as well as promoting a more diverse party.

Limited stat growth - the gamer only gets stats from leveling, special events, and some achievements with major achievements and quests increasing the stat per level yield, something that represents inherent potential in other characters, I.e. gods have a stat per level ratio in the teens while basic humans average 5 and abyssal humanoid(humans, elves, dwarves) vary in between except for outstanding examples. This cuts down on complication with the gains from grinding to a simple Exp->Level gain->Stat gain system for base power growth with skill levels growing to whatever seems reasonable given the time the skill has existed and degree of use.

Unique Objectives and Rewards - achievements are often unlocked through socially significant actions (like backing a successful campaign for an ally to become leader of a nation sized guild) and provide reward only available through these means ( like the previously mentioned stats per level increase) so the MC has a constant push to actually go out and affect the world personally as opposed to staying in a barrier grinding levels forever because it will never be as effective as actual achievements and their rewards.

There are a few other things it does well but those are more situational to the specific setting of the story so they will not work in every fic.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  22. medon12

medon12 Getting sticky.

Determine the stats of your "final boss" now. Then work out how strong your MC is going to be while facing that boss. Work backwards through your plot from there. That's the only real way to make a gamer fic work in a world without huge numbers of super powered guys running around who might conceivably face your protag.

EDIT: Actually, it's really the right way to do it even when there is an unlimited supply of ridiculously strong guys running around in the verse you're in.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Rangle likes this.
  23. SlyMonster

SlyMonster Know what you're doing yet?

You need something simple yet interesting. The best gamer system I found is in "The root of darkness"

Sbiper likes this.
  24. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L The Best Monkey

• Don't necro. This is against Rule 7.
    My favorite gamer system is in Maxfic's Naruto: The Gamer Files. It provides a solid way to incorporate dungeons, it puts a sensible limit on grindable stat points, and it does a good job of integrating a party system.

25. a guy1013

a guy1013 Versed in the lewd.

instead of numbers use letters to measure skill and just post what the letter means at the start which will cause a tiny headache for readers but less of a headache for writers
    ex
    f=0
    e= baby which is like .1
    d= child like 1 to 2
    c= teen to ave adult which 4 to 5
    b= peak adult around 7 to 8
    a= super human or any beast of burden which is like 9 or higher
    s= dragon

26. Armentho

Armentho Versed in the lewd.

for gods sake

dont limit yourself to a single game genre

while the rpg is a good foundation for leveling up dont fear adding extra mechanics from other games

for example,outposts and fortress capturing of far cry would be a great idea

-embrace the game:take the powers to its logical conclussion,the little details are everything
    >no more muscle soreness and is hard to get exhausted,therefore a gamer must seem like a fresh rose must of the time
    >powers arent good only for the DPS,used with creativity a low leveled power can be lethal (like using a low leveled phyrokinesis to ignite flamable materials as distraction)