1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

So looks like the Xenforo Invis-Text Multi-Reveal script doesn't work here like it did for spacebattles and sufficientvelocity. Anyone know a good one that does?

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I use the Xenforo Invisitext Handler script, from Userstyles. While the default version uses Stylish, if you scroll down on the page, there's a tiny link for a userscript just above the discussion.
    It turns invisitext into a black bar which reveals if you mouse over it.

Alternatively, check the addresses on your script. QQ uses 'forum.' instead of 'forums.' (at least in my script's version)

Obliviated fan and Bramble Thorn like this.
  3. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

You could try Xenforo Invis-Text Multi-Reveal. I find it works well if you edit it appropriately.

Bramble Thorn, Zig and Twilight666 like this.
  4. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

If you are using Xenforo Invis-Text Multi-Reveal it would work but has an issue:
    The site url is forum.questionablequesting.com and not forums.questionablequesting.com so you should go to it's settings and add this:
    in the user includes
    It's basically the original user include but without the s in forums
    Edit: Ninja'd by a post pointing to me:cool::p

Zig likes this.
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not directly.

There was a New God storyline in which people from the hundreds of worlds that Darkseid had come to their planets and gone all Highlander on their deities, leaving them godless, had decided to blow up the Earth in revenge with a galaxy busting bomb.

How that makes sense, don't ask me.

So the New God's solution to this was to point out to the godless aliens that Earth has a shit ton of deities and basically set up the reality show "Who wants to be worshipped by aliens?"

So in DC one could travel to any number of alien worlds and find out that the natives worship a frankenpantheon made up of deities from various Earth pantheons depending on which Earth deities the aliens of that planet thought were cool.

Somehow it never occurred to the Source worshipping New Gods to suggest the aliens take up worship of the Source too.

But just as Dream of the Endless is the Greek God Morpheus and a Martian god, an alien god could be a guise for the Source.

Obliviated fan, Drode, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Thanks, was trying to edit the actual script and couldn't find where to do it. Didn't realize I had to go to settings.

7. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Over Narn.

8. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

9th January
    06:30 GMT

GAAAAAAAGHHHH!
    A rocket pack construct appears on my back, thrusting me into the gun's arc of fire, fusion cannon construct evaporating as I lose my fear-focus. The ships vanish again, and in my mind's eye I see the gun's internals glowing as the cannons prepare to fire, the intensity of my desire to stop these fucking idiots making forming a construct shield unusually eas-.

The guns start firing. Given what M'gann said, these are almost certainly police vessels rather than true warships, but they're policing vessels from a planet where everyone is a telepathic shapeshifting telekine. Heavy bolts of plasma ram into the shield and then detonate! And it's cracking!

"AND YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF FUCKING, SELF-DEFEATING IDIOTS!"

And the shield knits back together slightly but they're still shooting!

"I'M TRYING TO KEEP YOUR CIVILISATION FUNCTIONING AND THIS IS NOT HELPING!"

Another shot, and some sort of chain reaction occurs in the cloud of superheated hydrogen ions building up on the far side of my shield construct, forcing me back. No, no. You don't get to do this to me. No trigger happy prat gets to ruin my work.

I Construct The Great Machine.

Bright orange tron lines flare across my construct, damage erased and construct strength redoubled. And I.. feel it, feel the construct. Mother Box what's happening?

Ping.

Theoretically, yes. But I've never done it before.

Ping.

Yes, you're right, it would be.

"M'gann!"

"No one's answering!"

"Make a decision, M'gann! Either you dissuade them or I kill them!"

Someone takes a shot at her, and she ducks behind my construct shield. Wonderful, with gunnery like that this whole area is going to get levelled! Another set of guns open up-. Still invisible. Magic, great. I still don't know what the total level of force the Marshal is using is, and I don't really want to slaughter them all if there's an alternative…

Who can I call in who doesn't need to be briefed from scratch?

Ring, contact Lantern Komand'r.

By your command.

A bust of Komand'r forms over my ring. "Grayven, are you finished with those wretched Martians?"

"No, and I'm afraid that I need your assistance. I'm opening a hush tube to your location. I need you to come here and wreck some ships for me."

"Whose?"

I still can't see them, but from the changes in the arcs of fire I'm guessing that the patrol ships are manoeuvring to allow more of their number to phase through the roof. Maintain the shield, maintain the shield.

I Direct The Great Machine.

"Martian Manhunters. Some idiot's given them an attack order."

"So you're attacking them?"

"Only until they stop. Then I hunt down and savagely assault the one who gave the order." I glance M'gann's way. "Any progress!?"

"I'm trying to force them to think about fire, but something's blocking me!"

"They're veteran Manhunters! They've probably got better shield-!"

"No, it's not that! I am making contact, it's just not-"

Karmang isn't the only one who studied the broadcast in detail. All of the Sorcerer Priests had the same opportunity. The fact that the one I spoke to was sniffy about the whole thing doesn't mean that the rest were. Or that they'd mind removing the restrictions from Green volunteers.

"-doing anything."

There's a brief delay in the shooting, and every gun fires at the same point on my barrier. Yes, nice try, constructs don't work like that.

"Anything from R'oh K'arr?!"

"The ships aren't responding to him!"

Circe knows how to remove the restrictions, but I never bothered showing her how to reinstate them. I could reinstate them on a case by case basis… Probably. But that's no use in a situation like this.

"I'm ready. Send the tube now."

Ping.

Komand'r's bust disappears from my ring as the woman herself appears next to me, a sort of slimmed down Okaaran-style armour construct covering her body. A second to get her bearings, then she stares in the direction of the incoming fire. "I can't see-"

I take a pair of goggles out of subspace and hold them out to her with my left hand. Empower the Loyal Vassal.

"-them." She takes the goggles without looking around and pulls them over her face. "I'm just getting a blur."

"Yeah, they're good at hiding."

"These caves are a sealed environment."

"If they didn't want to risk holes getting shot in the walls, they shouldn’t have started a fight here. Get those ships down."

She smiles cruelly. "Happily."

Komand'r darts around my barrier then shoots towards them, purple-orange light billowing from her hands. Looking past her I see… Smaller.. shimmers, appearing from the far side of the larger ones.

"M'gann, infantry!"

I'm… Not good at splitting my attention when I use a ring. And while this shield construct is tough, it can't take an unlimited amount of damage.

M'gann turns her helmet-covered head my way. "Grayven, I-. They're not bad people-."

"They are today. Make a decision, M'gann."

She stares at the oncoming fire for a moment, a few shots from infantry-carried small arms adding to the weight of it.

"This is how you feel all the time, isn't it? You try to fix things and everyone just-."

I sheathe my daiklave and draw my sidearm. A pifflingly weak thing compared to what I could do with a construct, but it can harm phased targets. "Epiphanise later, M'gann!"

[​IMG]

"But if they want Grayven-" Her body thins and elongates, a… Her outer surface shimmers. "-then they can have Grayven."

M'gann lunges at the concealed infantry in full Burning Martian mode as Komand'r smashes into the closest patrol ship!

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Well, that escalated rather quickly.

Going to be some interesting repercussions from this.

M'gann joins team grayven maybe?

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Googles The Great Machine.

Grayven... Stop... He is one of the really good ones...

11. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

This is how you get Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds, to quote TV Tropes.

12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Typo, or did both sisters show up?

Gilgamesh Wulfenbach knows that feeling.

Oh, dear. Yeah, this will be awesome, and scary.

13. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Broken bbcode here.

This is where the Fun begins!

Mr Zoat likes this.
  14. Azure Mirage

Azure Mirage Making the rounds.

Brilliant twist with M'gann. Just had to say that her going Burning Martian is a brilliant escalation of how far the Renegade version of her has come as far as her power development.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A rocket pack construct appears on my back, thrusting me into the gun's arc of fire...

The joy of multi-classing. One class doesn't play nice with the other's abilities...

Interesting...

Wonderful, [color=orange]with gunnery like that this whole area is going to get levelled[/color]! Another set of guns open up-.
    Broken color tag, which you've probably already fixed ;)

Sometimes, you just got to punch face first, consequences later, Grayven...

She smiles cruelly. "Happily."
    (Missing a Full Stop.)

Komand'r darts around my barrier then shoots towards them...
    (props to Prince Charon, he caught this first...)

Extraneous word.
    Oh, dear... This could be trouble in future...

Invisitext:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  16. Mr Zoat

The Great Machine as in society, i.e. what Mitchel Hundred named himself after. Not after the man himself.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...yeah, sorry M'gann. This is an epiphany no one should have to have, but makes people seize and rage when it happens.

I hope this won't have any negative repercussions now that she's seen The Light. Definitely won't go joining any shadowy conspiracies to drag people into a better way of thinking. Absolutely not.

18. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Plus, even if he was talking about Mitchel Hundred, that's not exactly a negative sentence in the first place.

19. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Honestly speaking... YJ M'gann might go for it. She's less a traditional superhero and more a refugee with little social support outside of her high stress job.

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Especially since the current Light hasn’t done anything tricky or really evil and operates more like the Team originally did than a group of super villains.

21. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I don't know why, but I read this in the Freeman's Mind voice.

Probably the orange.

22. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Grayven's team should get this framed, it's practically his MO at this point.

23. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Wow, they literally have a peace conference going on, and their first instinct is to obey the order to fire on them?

Don't martians regularly watch Earth for TV broadcasts and reading people's thoughts? They should know that this has never worked out well for any human government, ever.

I love that Miss M understands, and is willing to back Grayven. Burning Martian is legitimately one of the most dangerous creatures In-Universe, damn near Kryptonian levels.

I feel like sanctions are needed against Manhunters. Not too hard too get around Mars either with Boom Tubes or gates.

24. Mr Zoat

How do they know what it is?
    No. Their communications are telepathy-based rather than radio wave based, and even when the planets are at their closest only the strongest telepaths can hear human thoughts from Mars.
    Except when it does.

25. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

M'gann has gained Renegade points.

Bramble Thorn, Alexandercctv and Ardy like this.
  26. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

The Endless are a concept and their inversion. Death is at the start of every life. Did Grayven invert conquest into defense of a society?

Did he combine Conquest and the desire to make part of martian society his to channel his divinity through his ring?

Did the fact that he channel his divinity directly into the construct he was using to defeat this army?

Obliviated fan likes this.
  27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

War is part of conquest and defence is part of war.

Obliviated fan and Ardy like this.
  28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

What good is conquering something if you can't keep it afterward?

29. Mr Zoat

A friendly buffer zone, resource extraction, enforcing religious conformity, maintaining internal cohesion...

30. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!