1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

I'm more than half expecting, after the dust has settled and the other shoe has dropped, for us to find out that somehow Karmang somehow caused that one to order the attack. But for the moment, I'm guessing that pretty much everyone who might have been able to tell that he was magically affected has either been wiped out or inundated with more urgent tasks.

2. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

No downsides, other than locking her metaphysical nature into being the Goddess of Fire, preventing her from developing any additional superpowers.

BBJimmy, nobodez, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  3. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I mean, if you're creative enough that's still a lot.

Alexandercctv and Prince Charon like this.
  4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Nice job destroying the evidence Grayven. I was assuming you’d use a “clean” bomb that left the building / paperwork intact, but killed all the Martians in nasty ways. You know, something like an Antilife bomb, or a make your head explode bomb, not an actual nuke. Some sort of pathogen/ chemical warfare. You know, something real nasty. This is too actually clean (nothing left). Not Apocalyptian enough for you, huh? Too subtle? You HAVE to go with molecular disintegration, huh? Seems a bit too nice for something DeSaad made, killing them instantly like that.

Ardy likes this.
  5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

There is that, yeah... probably. On the other hand, she lives on Earth, which as noted in the narrative is full of crazy bullshit that even higher beings consider practically impossible.

6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Exactly. Fire powers aren’t crazy bullshit enough. Need to hold out for more.

7. Prince Charon

No, I mean that just because the New Gods think that she would be locked in does not mean she wouldn't find a random book in an estate sale or pawn shop or what-have-you that would let her also have water powers or tapioca powers or something, even after becoming a New God.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Not really - all those powers would be expressed through her New God domain/ soul structure, and come out as fire in some way. Cast water - make highly flammable alcohol (firewater).

9. Prince Charon

OK, clearly we are looking at this through different lenses, because to my mind, you are massively underestimating the bullshit level of most DC-like Earths, including Earth-16.

Of course, a college student who can conjure alcohol would be a lot of fun at parties...

10. Queshire

Fire consumes. Naturally it should be able to consume whatever exotic effect of the week is at hand. Fire is constantly in motion. Bam, superspeed or shape shifting. The sun is a big ball of flaming gas. Pew pew radiation or sunbeams for all your vampire killing/Kryptonian boosting needs. Infection? Burn it out. Werewolves at the door? Well humanity has used the light of a campfire to keep away the beasts of the night ever since it was first discovered. Wounded? Pheonix fire.

There was a fanfic I read where the local goddess of fire caused someone to keel over by flat out stopping the ATP reaction cells use to obtain energy. I don't know how well the science supports that one, but damn if it wasn't impressive.

11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Wat?
    Stuck in a cell while J'emm deals with more urgent matters. R'oh K'arr has the Marshal position.
    As yet, nothing beyond getting patched up.

12. Mr Zoat

No one ever said it was instant disintegration. Remember the original description of Necron Gauss Flayer weapons?
    They wouldn't think that she was 'locked'. They would think that she had matured.

13. Prince Charon

I'm quite certain that you knew what I meant.

EDIT: Thinking about it, DC-humans being able to make someone 'less mature' for various purposes would not be terribly surprising.

WhiteNoise likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Oh, the second part of what you said is entirely plausible. Earth brand bullshit is strong. However, there is a big cultural difference between how New Gods traditionally regard the Awakening and how humans do. For humans it's one source of superpowers amongst many. For New Gods its more like getting your cutie mark; a sign of your purpose and growing maturity.

15. Queshire

AKA New God puberty.

16. Mr Zoat

Not exactly. Apokoliptian Lowlies are the same species as their New God overlords, and they're capable of reproducing. honestly, New God birth would be a more accurate description.

17. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L The Best Monkey

Mr Zoat When Artemis Nguyen became a New God, what was Greek Artemis' reaction to there now being another goddess of archery named Artemis?

18. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Err, dude, you're a rich, powerful, heroic, bodybuilder-looking older man.

She's a horny teenager.

Even if she's not actually interested - not in a way she'd pursue - I really don't think she's going to be looking at you in a paternal manner.

Yeah, this guy gets it. Or rather, he isn't getting it, because greasy-haired teenagers can't compete with rich, powerful, heroic, bodybuilder-looking older men.

Easiest way around that is just to give her an extra power or two before preforming the Awakening.

Fire is part of her nature and has been for her entire life, so her New God metaphysical bullshit will probably develop around that, but she'd still have speed/strength/whatever on top of that.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  19. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

I think it's more that you usually adopt a child, and often people consider going off to College as becoming an adult. Stretching your own wings, responsible for yourself.

To offer adoption to a grown-ass woman, even if it's in the understandable sense similar to cultures where a business stays in the family, so the head might adopt his successor to make him part of the family before passing the company to him, would be quite jarring to ANY college student I currently or have ever known.

Drode, Alexandercctv and Ardy like this.
  20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Maybe that happened in the first comic they meet. In the one I have, Superman didn't bother to explain that detail and just called him a sore loser. Meaning that if you didn't read a comic with Conduit in it before, it made it look like Superman actually cheated.

And both in continuities with Clark developing his powers as a young adult or a child or outright not having his powers until he late teens, Clark Kent being a school sport star is consistent. Let me reiterate it, with or without powers he was the number one atlete in High School.

Now if it was without powers is fair, if he already had them... well there is a reason Conduit isn't a thing in continuities were Clark developed his powers as a young adult.

But let me honest here, if you found out the Flash was a track running Star in High School, would you believe him if he told you he didn't have his powers back then?

And to be fair with Conduit, Clark didn't limit himself to a single sport, meaning Clark Kent being the number one in so many was a tad unbelievable. No wonder Smallville didn't do that, limiting Clark to a single sport.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  21. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

There's also the question of how widely the ring-enhanced-ogre-tentacle-orgies Grayven was setting up in Japan for awhile early on are known. Because if that rumor got out, he could have a real interesting reputation.

Alexandercctv and Ardy like this.
  22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

She never ever developed addicional powers in canon anyway. And considering her powers are Psychic... she could end with a literal brain meltdown if they tried to add new powers, unless the extra powers had a different source.

23. Mr Zoat

The Renegade doesn't care.
    Rich and powerful, certainly. Arguable heroic, or at least antiheroic. But the Reneagde doesn't look like a body builder. Or rather, if he does, it's one of the freakishly proportioned ones who certainly wouldn't be considered conventionally attractive.
    I don't believe that I've made any reference to Claire's sex life.
    As demonstrated above, this statement is completely correct.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well her powers are supposed to be psychic. But her pyrokinesis had both Ring Sinestro and fatherbox apparently going "WTF!?!"

So I suspect there might be more to it than that. I find it hard to believe that pyrokinesis is so exotic in Zoat's version of Earth-16.

It was the last issue actually, the one where Conduit dies, in which Conduit accuses Clark of cheating, and Clark's response was basically 'Kenny, my powers didn't start manifesting until my late teens. I had to rely on determination back then like everyone else."

That stuck with me because it was news to me that he grew up powerless, because yes, him growing up with powers is the norm, so the fact that DC was doing something different got my attention.

Plus, it made sense to me, someone who had to hide who he is his entire life, someone who grew up without pain or fear of danger, free to soar through the sky, someone like that might admire humanity, might empathize mightily on the intellectual level, but someone like that can't say something like "Oh shucks, nothing special about me, I'm just a Kansas farm boy" without lying or being delusional, but DC was presenting Clark as someone who could say that with complete and total sincerity.

Now obviously isn't the case in YJ, because Superboy is biologically 16 and he has some kryptonian powers, although that does make an interesting possible explanation for why he doesn't have them all. Maybe Clark didn't have all the powers at 16 either.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  25. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Hmm. I don't see why miss Flamethrower would even think about "locking" herself out of more superpowers with Awakening. I read it more like hesitation before permanent change of self. (And maybe people that went through Awakening she is aware of are not very inspiring to a teenager girl - bloke Grayven, crazy scythe girl Akane, apocoliptians?)
    Actually, how many examples of collecting multiple powers she would be aware of anyway? Is that a thing?
    And of course there is always magic / power rings / etc to be able to create supernatural effects unrelated to one's domain.

26. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

She's a teenager. I think the odds are in my favour when assuming she's a ball of hormones at this point in her life.

WhiteNoise and Prince Charon like this.
  27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, is still highty suspicious for Clark hog the first place is so many sports. Hence why the character of Conduit is no longer used and modern despicious don't have Clark have played so many different sports and be the number one on them.

Besides even without powers, Kriptonians are the result of many hundred years of genetic manipulations, so he still had an advantage. And yes that part was canon when the comic was published.

If the comics had shown Clark strugging with some sports or at least having to work harder than others to get top grades, he would have been more sympathetic.

But enough of this, back on topic, becoming a pseudo New God is mostly advantages, more so that Grayven is now doing that with a Mother Box instead of a Father Box.

That makes me worry of those he improved with the Father Box.

Drode and WhiteNoise like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

As Xander Harris once put it: at a certain point in your life you have to buy the Wookie costume and go with it.

Also, Claire has met Scott and Barda Free.

29. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

She's a teenager, they're always horny ;)

Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  30. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Pretty sure this is a UK only word, had to Google it. Scholarship is the colonial equivalent.