1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Looking at her wiki entry, this might be some time before the Monk got his fangs on her... So, she's a hedge witch right now, with very little power but some skills and knowledge.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Sure. But did it have to be such a pane about it?

4. Lakanna

Lakanna Lurker

I think OL might start to get a reputation soon: "talk to this guy, and you won't finish a conversation without a fight scene." Seriously, OL seems to be a trouble magnet even moreso than most superheros. Every. Single. Time. he investigates anything, it winds up with something like this.

infinityDivided and Ardy like this.
  5. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Pfff. Small timers. ;)

Handlewithcare likes this.
  6. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Almost as bad as some waiters!

AidanMorgan and w34v3r like this.
  7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Most of them, I think? It's just that the ones that are interrupted by an attack are more memorable.

... or she never met him in this continuity, or it was a type of vampirism one can be 'cured' of, or something like that.

ShadowPoint likes this.
  8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Pfft, if you ask the South, not only did it never end, but they are ready for round two any day. It's always interesting to be screamed at about how much more "American" they are then you while they fly the flag, and wear the symbol of Armed treason.

Huh, now that'd be interesting just as a concept. Someone with an American flag, wearing a American flag shirt and hat, lecturing some random Englishman about how they are more "English" than them.

9. Mr Zoat

It's the most American of traditions.
    They drink tea iced. I don't even like the stuff and I know that's wrong.

10. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Quote from Dresden file book Changes.
    From a letter from an english wizard than when first introduced is dressed like Steed

11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That's what happens if you ask the caricatured stereotype of the South. Frankly that kind of attitude is just as racist as what it's trying to attack, as it's prejudicially judging people by a stereotype of their ethnic heritage (and it is an ethnicity!) instead of by the opinions and behaviors of the actual individuals.

In reality, that's a meaning of the symbol that was never attached to it by those who employed it. In its actual use, it's a symbol of regional and cultural identity, as the South is culturally distinct from the rest of the country, and in that role its symbolism isn't really any different than any other flag.

(EDIT: snip snip snip, no, that's modern-day politics, let's not go there)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  12. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly, i'm just hoping for another american civil war. Why? Simple:

Both sides have nukes this time.

Whoever wins, it's sure as hell going to put a end to this whole, incredibly annoying issue because the other side is going to be replaced by a series of smoking craters, and i have yet to meet a smoker crater that is any good at yelling at people.

(also i feel like this might be getting a bit into modern politics here, we should probably stop)

13. Maxx Crowley

No, that's what happens when I go down south to visit family, and run into Southerners. No politics or stereotypes here. Cutting out the anti-gay slurs, a phrase I have had shouted at me dozens and dozens of times (Sometimes from said family) is"The South will rise again." From their mouths, and stickered on their trucks.

Trucks that apparently can't make it through an inch and a half of snow. Watching Dallas Texas fucking SHUT DOWN over a tiny bit of powder was just precious.

Then they get hit by a Hurricane and I just laugh. Though occasionally I see someone on the news claim that because I made out with that cute boy with the red tipped hair and the tongue ring, said Hurricane happened.

For science's sake I continue to test this. Purely for science I assure you.

They've already bastardized the English language to a horrific degree, and American English is already a bastardization...so that's like double bastard, why should something like Tea be sacred?

14. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I'm glad someone else loves the way Steed ends his letters.

Twilight666 likes this.
  15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Nuclear winter is a serious problem. Don’t even joke about it. On a side note, the problem in the United States isn’t directly with the South. Our problem (speaking as someone from California), is the way we politically treat the South/parts of the mid-west. They’re angry so they take it out on any available targets. They have a strong culture, that certain people get angry for because it represents the opposite of that of big cities/ education / progress. It’s sort of like the South represents the uncivilized masses, people who argue religion over science, etc... and with the way we treat them, they’ll only get more extreme. Even England has similar problems, just that their minority isn’t large enough.
    (And that’s too much politics already, so not saying any more.)

boo600 and Drode like this.
  16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The thing about stereotypes is that they wouldn't really exist if some people didn't fit them. And some places, to be sure, are worse than others. I'm sorry that your family lives in one of those places. But the other thing about stereotypes is that they're caricatures, and caricatures by definition focus on exaggeration and overgeneralization.

Well yeah. If you're proud of your identity, but that identity keeps getting attacked and dragged through the mud, wouldn't you look forward to the day when your people can get out from under that oppression?

17. Buggy123

Oh, I am serious. Putting in a joking way, but dead serious.

(Hah, get it? dead serious?)

edit: also guys you should really probably steer away from the political part of this conversation because the mods are serious about that rule, yknow.

18. Maxx Crowley

I mean...pride goeth before a fall? I thought they liked that book.

Besides, if I say that "The gays will rise again!" someone's just going to make a dick joke. But, do I do that before, or after pointing out MY people's ACTUAL oppression in the whimsical ol' south? (But not here. A PM perhaps)

Also, my identity isn't wrapped up in a time where people were literally owned, leading to issues with expansion of territory where said ownership would allowed, leading to the claim of "Cracking with whip over the heads of Northern men" (God damn, can never remember that senator's name), leading to political bullshit, leading to a war over said bullshit, leading the south to really hope England would bail them out (Which, god damn if that isn't the funniest irony EVER), which led Ol' Abe to making said ownership a stated part of the war to block that shit, leading to a loss that the south still hasn't gotten the fuck over and seem particularly butthurt about. (More lube and stretching. Duh!) "War of Northern/Yankee aggression" Pah!

At least Germany has the decency to go "Ja....Zat was a bad thing we did."

But if there is one thing that is particularly American, it's having a massive Ego while refusing to admit you ever did anything wrong. Be it slavery, the genocide of the Native tribes, and all that.

Is....is the American civil war too recent?

19. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The UK has it’s own problems... like people who vote for certain policies because they’re on mugs/ busses.
    (Hopefully that’s not very political, and more cultural)

20. Buggy123

The way i'd put it is "it never really ended, so yes".

21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The Southern extreme attitude affects certain modern policies and elections, some of which lead to big arguments, so the result is too modern.

Prince Charon, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  22. Maxx Crowley

Hold on, lemme scan my old history book.

[​IMG]

Damn fine publication.

But if 152 years is still too soon. Then I shall cease.

23. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

This seems like a very interesting example of how a British perspective on regions leaving the nation differs from an American perspective. The instinctual american perspective and the perspective almost certainly held by Arthur Curry is that this is a negative thing that is caused by elements of society seeking to preserve their alleged "rights" at the expense of human rights. In contrast the British perspective is more shaped by the legacy of colonialism and has a more nuanced understanding of why regions would leave.

I am very interested in seeing how this conflict continues although I hope Mr.Zoat is careful. It would be a shame if he runs afoul of the rules and is forced to leave yet another site. Where else is there for him to go?

boo600 and Prince Charon like this.
  24. Buggy123

Officially sure. But look at modern america. Look at both sides constantly butting heads at virtually every issue, look at the constant unending screaming matches like that which led to the "no politics" rule here, look at both sides fucking themselves over just to spite the other side. This stuff has led to untold amounts of suffering, pain, hardship, oppression, and misery. It's torn apart families, effectively stalled manned space exploration in it's tracks, and has done no small amount of harm to the rest of the world given the place that America holds in it.

Does that sound like a country that had a civil war due to various moral, political, and sociological issues, and then when one side won the losers said "well damn, alright you won so we'll drop the issue."?

No. The civil war never ended. I'm not convinced it will ever end until one side fucking dies; and that's why I honestly support a second fucking nuclear civil war. Millions of deaths (probably my own included), and nuclear winter, are fucking nothing compared to what this conflict has and will cause for hundreds of years to come.

(also yeah that probably means we shouldn't discuss it either)

25. Maxx Crowley

So where were we before this?

Jade's merits as OL's romantic partner?

Personal preferences aside, I'm not a fan of Jade simply because of how....dull she is. That, and though I don't know why, she seems so...less of a character then the rest of the available cast.

Granted, I don't support Zatanna either. But that's because I don't really care about Zatanna as a character even in the comics. I think it's the stupid, solely for titillation, outfit of hers. The backwards speech IS an nifty way to cast spells (Given that so much "magical" language is either not-latin or just made up gibberish) to be sure. But....well I guess I've never read her in anything all that interesting.

Melinoe is....visually interesting, but I really don't get into the whole "Tsundere" thing.

I still say Hera would have been fucking hilarious. The literal queen of MILF's.

Kon of course is still my pick (Never gonna happen). Though...what other boys are there? Hmmm

26. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

It's like a weird fetish. You know it's going to raise some eyebrows/cause a few disgusted expressions when you bring it up in a polite society, but it's just too good to stop doing.

Ardy likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

I don't think I'm crossing the line into modern Atlantean politics, but hopefully someone with point it out to me if I do.
    Sometimes, you just have to be prepared to put the work in to make them interesting.
    The With This Ring version no longer wear that.
    Ratchet is pretty friendly, though I'm afraid that Thaddeus Junior is homophobic. Literally homophobic. He doesn't hate gay people, he's simply afraid of them.

28. Buggy123

Personally I think Zatanna would've been more interesting too, but the age and maturity difference is a bit to large for that to be viable at all.

Actually now that I think about it, a lot of Young Justice characters seem... bizzarely young. Sorta like I automatically assumed they were older than they are because they acted more maturely than you'd expect.

29. Maxx Crowley

>.>....I mean, if while in space, Jade is exposed to cosmic plot radiation and permanently transforms into a hot asian boy with a cute cock I will take it all back.

Well yeah, there is that.

Who? You'd better not be talking about some character called......Big Sir, or I will sic Les Potats upon you.

Teenagers written by a grown man tend to be like that.

Though I suppose the fact that several of them have dealt with life and death situations for years, while others are either trained soldiers or grown super-weapons could be given consideration.

Drode and True Ninja like this.
  30. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

But how do we judge cuteness in space chickens?

infinityDivided and erebus1994 like this.