1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

a possibility

pieces... come in

type... is also

No, a hypothetical Proto-Indo-European reconstruction, which is apparently cognate with his name, means "spotted." There has been no etymology determined in Greek (or indeed, any Indo-European language). The closest hypothesized Greek cognates would mean "flesh-devouring" or "evil of the pit" and both suggestions have been criticized by the linguistic community.

The "spotted" meaning is also a significant step removed, as that name actually correlates with one of the dogs of a death god in one branch of Hindu mythology. The name in Sanskrit ("sarvarā") could plausibly be cognate with Greek "Cerberus" but linking the meaning would require that the two myths are actually related instead of merely being a coincidence across separate cultures.

Bramble Thorn, Drode and Mr Zoat like this.
  2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Considering Cerberus' physical traits vary in the myths, for example he's sometimes been described as having a mane of snakes, I like to think that Cerberus is a shapeshifter.

In which case he can be all the dogs. :)

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Dley

Dley Getting some practice in, huh?

Wait a Mundo? Dragon cave, Magician slash semi embodiment of Love acting strangely before said magicians spell going poof and considering in ancient times dragons were considered symbols of Greed we can now assume things are about to get interesting.

4. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

Ironwork? Interesting. Maybe gnomes aren’t as allergic to it as other fae.

On an unrelated note, I still think that the Justice League dumping Canis with their youth team is a disaster waiting to happen, and unless it was a case of “we literally have no better way to keep him in line at the moment” it’s definitely not one of their smarter ideas. I am quite frankly amazed he hasn’t caused a major PR incident by now.

5. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

I thought the plural of "doggo" was "doggoi".

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You forget - their youth team is also their special/covert ops team - they can operate better as superheroes in secret. Unlike the Justice League, most people don’t know about the team. Lower profile - at least to civilians. It doesn’t matter if he’s loud, so long as he doesn’t interact with civilians. He’s also not doing anything overly illegal, and this is the best way of giving him stuff to do + watching him. You can’t arrest him, but he’s also too destructive when he’s not following orders.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not sure about that one.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  8. Threadmarks: Hoard (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

11th January
    23:55 GMT +1

"Zatanna, we need that spell."

I'm glowing, she's-. Shit, she's not glowing-glowing, there's just so much orange in her right now that it looks like she is to me. Did I..? Miss this? No, the supporting structures-.

She points the head of the Staff of Love at me. "Love me."

I don't.. feel anything happen. My spell eater isn't even getting hotter.

"Zatanna, please, talk to me. I think you're being influenced by an external-."

The gnome who was clutching his head comes upright, the front of his face projecting forwards and spurs forming on his forearms as he mutates. Something in the air. A few regular gnomes have noticed us, but they're just retreating rather than raising a hue and cry.

"Evol em."

Warning: spell eater temperature increasing.

Zatanna staggers slightly, and I instinctively reach out to steady her with my right hand. She takes it with her left, then holds up her staff with her right and stares at it in confusion. "Why didn't-? Oh."

"Something's altering your desires. You need to cleanse yourself-."

She grins manically at me as the newly mutated gnome throws back his head and exhales a puff of flame. "No I don't. Ezigrenys!"

"Zatanna, I'll be happy to talk to you about this-" Violet light crackles around the Star Sapphire before flowing down her arm andMerging with her orange glow. "-when you're in your right mind."

"Oh, I'm in my right mind right now."

Pale violet phantasms materialise out of the air around us, intercepting a wave of the smaller mutant gnomes. Some move immediately to grapple while others dissipate around their opponents' fire breath before pulling themselves back together. Any regular gnomes who hadn't already fled are doing so now, and I can see reinforcements for the mutants heading this way.

"I've been in love with you for a year."

"I know. And I told you-."

"That you didn't think it was appropriate. And that hurt But after a while, I just realised how noble you were being."

"I'm glad, and I'll be happy to talk about this-"

A shower of rock rains down from the roof as Amon punches his way through!

"-after we've dealt with this situation. Amon, what are you-?"

"I'm going to fight the villain." He grins somewhat maniacally. "Isn't that what we're here for?"

Oh.. dear.

Boom!

As Amon flies down as fast as he can I hear the faint echoes of the boom tube as Canis appears… Somewhere off the main concourse.

"Orange Lantern to Aqualad." I try to take a step away, then realise that my feet and shins have been enveloped in violet crystal. "Something's affecting our team mates' minds."

"I-. I am aware. I am afflicted also."

"Orders?"

A mutant gnome leaps down from a nearby stalactite, claws spread wide..! Only to be annihilated by a violet bolt from Zatanna's staff.

"I.. regret… I cannot-."

"Understood." I try applying a little more force to the crystal, to no avail. I almost certainly could break away…

"Did you know that the Star Sapphire talks to me sometimes?"

"No. It.. wasn't supposed to do that."

"Oh, it's not controlling me." She smiles in a way I suspect that her altered mindset thinks is reassuring. "I just cast a few spells to try and find out…" She frowns. "Hang on a sec."

She turns, stamping the butt of the Staff of Love down on the ground. Violet light radiates across the stonework, shards of… Razor-edged crystal impaling the first wave of mutant gnome reinforcements. Blood pours forth from their brutalised torsos, their arms impotently flailing at the translucent spine in a frenzied and futile attempt to free themselves.

Zatanna's going to feel horrible about that once she comes to her senses. And I need to stop her. I really wish it hadn't come to this. I reach out for her desire netw-.

"That didn't take you long." She looks at me sceptically as a barrage of violet beams force the unskewered mutants to take shelter. "But after everything you said about protective equipment, did you really think I didn't come up with a way to stop power rings altering my mind?

While inconvenient here, it could be useful for the Orange Lantern Corps if it worked on the wearer.

"Well done."

She smiles, genuinely pleased at my compliment. "Thank you."

"But while I'm perfectly willing to discuss the specifics of our relationship, I'm not willing to do so with you when you're so clearly under an external influence."

Zatanna blinks, then turns to frown at the Star Sapphire. "No, I'm not going to freeze him in a giant block of crystal! How can he marry me if he can't speak to the priest?"

Oh no, she's gone full Silver Age. Ring, armour.

Unable to comply. Subspace pocket unavailable.

I'm not. Letting. Whoever is doing this. Control-

The crystal around my legs shatters as my environmental shield flares!

-Zatanna. Armour.

Compliance.

"Starfire to Orange Lantern. What is happening?"

"Some sort of mind-altering gas weapon. Stay high and wait for the Bio-Ship."

"Very well."

"Zatanna, if you're serious-"

"Deadly."

"-then we can talk about this once the source of whatever is affecting your mind has been dealt with. Which is probably below us. Can we do that?"

She puts her left index finger to her chin. "Can we talk and fly?"

"Yes?"

"Okay then! Let's go!"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  9. Otokonoko Culture

Otokonoko Culture {Unverified Trap} {Verified Cake}

10. NotaWriter

NotaWriter I trust you know where the happy button is?

it should be esigreNys I think

11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Did she just use the orange light without a power ring/ orange crystal like the star sapphire?

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You shouldn't be, violet constructs are supposed to be immune to the orange light of avarice.

I believe that should be "it".

So buffing power rings and removing their weaknesses...

Bad Zoat... Bad...

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No.

14. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Man, things are going to be so awkward after this.

What the heck is happening?

Alexandercctv and Relyt33 like this.
  15. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

and yet she is still best girl.

16. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm. Is the mind-whammy gas a product of gnome mutation or the cause of said transformation? And how do the stolen goods work into this equation?

More importantly if Canis is under the influence, where in the Universe did he just wander off to and is he bringing back gifts?

17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Probably went to go rescue the art.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Is the gas weapon merely enhancing desire? Or is there a mere gas that somehow invokes the orange light? Because that sounds seriously dangerous.

19. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Now is the voice she hears the Predator or a Zamaoran scientist studying her? I’m partial to the Predator myself.

20. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I'm loving this so much right now. I've always had a soft spot for Zatanna and what Zoat has done with her in this fic is amazing.

Hopefully this will have a good outcome.

21. Zeushobbit

Zeushobbit I use my mind and yours doesn't matter.

She used the star sapphire and her inherent magic to channel the orange light I believe. her spell was Synergise so presumably she was using the violet light to guide the orange. Given that Love and Desire are fairly complementary emotions I gather they likely work together well when the target of your Desires is the same as the target of your romantic feelings.

22. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

If this is the same dragon that people have been linking to, the thefts are occurring because it's trying to recover its hoard. With the stolen items originally belonging to the dragon, or being made out of things that belonged to the dragon.

In which case the only thing the thefts have to do with current events is that the dragon wants what's been taken. At least I'm assuming that they aren't directly related to this avarice boosting stuff.

Obliviated fan and Prince Charon like this.
  23. Ashaeron

Ashaeron Know what you're doing yet?

Could also be something totally out of left field; Truggs, for example, is well aware of the power of the Orange Lamp. I don't think it's terribly likely, but we've had these 'root-cause-is-actually-totally-something-else' interjections before.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

While inconvenient here, it could be useful for the Orange Lantern Corps if it worked on the wearer.

Alexandercctv and Mr Zoat like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  26. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Well this arc is interesting! Look forward to see where you take it.

Ardy likes this.
  27. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Well this had to come up sometime. I guess "while acting cray-cray" is as entertaining a time as any.

Alexandercctv, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  28. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I feel sorry for Zatanna, especially after she recovers and remembers what she was doing. That'd be embarrassing enough as an adult, but most such things tend to feel even worse when you're a teenager.

29. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Why does Paul think it's a gas weapon? It seems more likely to be an AoE field of orange overload.

Chaoswind likes this.
  30. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cause it started when a strong wind blew from below