1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

You make a very good point. Maybe Yellow Corps could be like a torturer/interrogator kind of thing for anyone who can resist branding. Drawing up a blank on Violet.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    I'm not that precise in my use of terminology.
    [​IMG]

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

What is this from?

Prince Charon, Vorian and Travisplo like this.
  4. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

What is that from?

Mquz, Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

So... like a railgun, but using a different fundamental force. Yep, nothing to worry about here.

They're still sector lanterns. They may not be assigned to sector 2814, but "sector lantern" is still their rank.

7. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Yellow seems to me like the unit tactics Corps, deploying in pairs or flights of four, and regularly training in platoon-level and company-level actions, in the name of solving problems quickly and overwhelmingly. Essentially they are the "shock and awe" Corps.

Violet might go in for more community- and nation-building, with embedded agents building community structures (and maybe sticking around to start a family).

8. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

For Yellow, disaster prevention.

Assuming you're using the version where they power up on ambient fear, that means that the worse the situation is, the more powerful they are.

Their ideal scenario is one in which everyone around them is scared shitless, so if you were trying to design a productive version of a YLC, they'd be the most efficient choice to deal with planets facing extinction-level events.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Of course, you'd have to cultivate an image of being associated with calamitous events, or else yellow flight trails will become a sign of hope which is... rather the opposite of what would be ideal operating conditions for a Yellow Lantern.

"If these guys show up, you're well and truly screwed."

10. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Is Xor the Sentient war moon/space station thingy?
    What ever happened to that thing anyway?

11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

No, that's Ranx. He's currently operating as a base of operations for the OLC. I don't remember exactly where, but possibly Vega.

Xor is the character who would have been known as Konvikt except for OL putting him on what amounts to a work-release program.

12. Mr Zoat

Maltus, actually.

13. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Invocation to Murphey, check.

The US's own personal version of the Invocation to Murphy since the Iraq War, check.

And both in the same post no less!
    ...Is he intentionally trying to curse Thanar after having seen what racist, xenophobic, imperialistic, jingoistic douchebags their current government is firsthand?

Unrelated, the story only thread?

Have you considered posting the finished episodes there in one complete post each instead of each daily part in its own post?

Make it easier to read, and to see the full word count of the story.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  14. Mr Zoat

I.. think I can talk about this. The original banner referred not to the Iraq War in general, but to the ship's tour of duty, which had indeed finished.
    The Story Only thread isn't up to date anyway. I'm.. getting there.

nobodez, Drode, Prince Charon and 2 others like this.
  15. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

That reads less like a sarcastic "What could possibly go wrong?" and more like "something's about to go wrong, what could it be?" before arranging for the budding problem to be dealt with.

Adequate amounts of paranoia.

16. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Heard a rumor that Mr. Mind is supposed to play a somewhat big part in an upcoming YJ event. I wonder if that's true.

....Annnnd now I'm imagine Sunny Sparkle being used to force villain rehabilitation.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

How so? Don’t think she’d be all that useful?

18. Threadmarks: Wing and Dagger (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

22nd January
    04:13 GMT

Ms Parker glares at the gormlessly grinning man inside the interrogation room. "Who is he?"

Once the commander was convinced that my brand worked as I claimed, he contacted Mr Pul and received a sealed list of questions to pass on to his interrogators. Having reviewed his soldiers' records of events in the temple he didn't feel quite right about throwing me out, so I returned the courtesy by only staying for the parts which related to my own interests. Wouldn't want them to think I was reporting everything to Hyathis, and I hope that voluntarily keeping myself ignorant will engender a little more cooperation.

"His name is Kartez. He's Thasaro's senior.. 'field priest'. Head of operations. The Blessed One was new, but it was the only one they've been able to.. make?" She nods distractedly. "They use a cell structure. He only knows a few names and faces, but he believes that there are small communities of Seven Devil worshippers throughout Thanagar Empire space. I didn't stay for the details; I'm sure that Imperial Intelligence would rather deal with the Empire's messes in private."

"This trip-." She shakes her head again, then turns to face me. "It's left me more disconnected and confused than I was on Earth."

"The memories?"

"Thanagar… In my day, this sort of… Deceit…" She takes a breath. "We risked everything to rise up against the Seven Devils. Wide scale deceit, enslaving.. aliens…"

"Didn't happen in your day?"

"The priests lied to us, so we were honest with one another. The Devils used us as weapons in their wars, so we only fought if we had to. I -Chay-ara- fought in two wars against species who still saw us as the servants of the Seven Devils. We didn't fight aggressive wars at all."

"Do you really think being honest about the existence of the Seven Devils is a good idea? It would only take a small disaffected group of citizens-."

"They shouldn't be letting our people live in conditions like that. Why would anyone build a city like that?"

"It wasn't there in your day?"

"There was.. probably a town there. Thanagarians have always liked mountaintops. We didn't.. bury our underclass. We didn't even really.. have one."

"How did that work?"

"We were a theocracy. Everyone served the Devils." She snorts quietly. "And that ethos of service lasted longer than the beings we served. And they didn't care enough about us as individuals to bother differentiating." She turns away, looking around the prisoner holding area. "I've been an American for three lifetimes. I want to blame the military take-over that happened after the Equality Plague for the stratification, but Bleez told me that it's actually gotten less bad since then. Anyone can join the military now, and that used to be class-restricted." She slumps. "We used to be so hopeful."

"Now that you have full access to Chay-ara's memories, have you considered writing a biography?"

"Charlie's been on at me about doing that. I said that we should prioritise the lives we lived in places on Earth no one else wrote about. Now I think I should write about Thanagar." She shakes her head. "Not that I think their government would let a book like that be published."

"Heh, yeah, the government banning it would totally stop people reading it." I shake my head. "Seven thousand years after Seven Devil worship was banned people are still doing it. I wouldn't overestimate the Thanagarian government's ability to enforce that sort of ban. Particularly if.. someone who could move around without a ship was doing the distribution."

"That could work. It'll still take me a couple of years to write it… And I can't reference anything. If there were any other records from that era, Thanagar's government would have destroyed them."

"Ex.. cept the records of the Green Lantern Corps."

Her eyes widen slightly. "That.. isn't a bad idea. If I could convince them to share them."

"There aren't any general rules against sharing unclassified historical records. In fact, there are examples of Green Lanterns sharing accurate historical data with researchers which have been ruled 'appropriate' when governments complained to the Guardians about it. We can stop off on Staphis on the way back if you're interested."

She nods distractedly.

Okay, it's a little hard to work out what effect this will have on Thanagarian foreign policy. Even if they take the temples apart for their metal content that won't add that much raw material to their building effort. How will it affect their military campaign? They must know that there's no Nth metal to be found on the worlds neighbouring theirs. They've already got more systems than they know what to do with. Certainly more habitable worlds than they've been able to fully settle. The only external threat is Hyathis and she's not exactly imminent, there's no casus belli…

Internally? Ordinarily I'd say that the opportunity to suppress one group of internal dissenters might spill over onto others not associated with the original justification. But the High Council already rules without external checks on their power. They only really need to justify things…

The old colonies. The High Council controls Thanagar, anything with 'Imperial' in the name and the new colonies. They don't control the old colonies in the same way. If you were building a cult, you'd want to set it up in a place that wasn't a police state. Somewhere that prided itself on not having military rule. And if.. there are significant cult communities on any of those worlds…

"Excuse me."

I stride across the detention area and into the attached briefing room. Bleez turns away from the muted live feed as she hears me walk in.

"Is now a good time for me to ask for a ride home?"

"Possibly. I'll have to talk to Mister Pul, but I doubt they're going to want external observers for the next bit. What religions do the old colonies practise?"

"None, really? I think the biggest religion is the Church of the One. And that got unbanned, like, thirty years ago. And all the native religions." She frowns as she tries to work out what my angle is. "We don't worship the Seven Devils, if that's what you're talking about."

"I'm a little concerned that the High Council might try and use this as an excuse to reduce colonial autonomy. It might be a good idea for you to encourage your mother to start taking action ahead of a government purge."

"Oh. Ah, yeah, they.. might. Any idea what to look for?"

"Isolationist communities. Places with little external contact. Anywhere with this symbol." I generate a construct image of the image tattooed onto the bodies of all of the cultists: a triangle on a circle with seven points radiating from it. "If no one's heard anything and you haven't seen any mutants then they're keeping things quiet. The majority of members might not even realise what they're part of."

"Right… Yeah…"

"What's the Religious Education component of your school curriculum like?"

"There isn't one, really. Education is controlled by individual principalities, there isn't any sort of general rule."

"You might want to get on that as well."

"Yeah." She walks past me and out of the briefing room. I follow her. "But I'm not exactly looking forward to living with Mother again."

"Noblesse oblige." I look around as several interrogators leave the cells. "Do you know what they're going to do with the-?"

There are flashes of light from the cells as the prisoners are shot dead.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  19. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

... military dictatorship, so, yeah.

20. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

That one guy that OL branded getting executed, makes me wonder if OL should be looking into getting more construct lanterns. If they were killing them anyway ...

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, that's worrying.

What religions do the old colonies practice?"

Welp. Not subtle, are they?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, is he suspecting the government sat this up as a pretext to tighten control over the colonies?

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Nah, the government could simply take advantage of the situation as it is in order to advance their agenda.

25. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I don't think OL of all people will have much a problem with this. And if he does, someone needs to stamp a certain word into his forehead.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And probably the Kryptonian doomsday vault in orbit around Earth.

27. Mr Zoat

He certainly wouldn't have a problem with executions per se, but killing a potentially useful intelligence asset seems a little short-sighted.

28. Just a guy

Just a guy Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

You don't exactly have to be when you're a military dictatorship as powerful as the Thanagarians.

29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Which one? This seems like something Kryptonians might not have known about since it happened too far away and too far back for them to care. If no one wrote about it in detail, the vault wouldn’t have the information most likely simply because it’s not considered important.

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  30. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Oh yes, paint a target on Earth for the Thanagarian Empire. I'm sure they won't do anything as crazy as try to invade to destroy a destabilizing element in their society.