1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

A place with really potent and or infectious magic like say a temple dedicated to preforming a very specific transformation magic?

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Don't overlook the scribbling in the notebook.

Though the potential for mental illness was one of the reasons Lex Luthor gave in Metropolitan Man for acting against Superman. He felt that the chance of him developing mental illness and killing everyone on Earth was unacceptably high.
    Sadly, the angels removed that option.

3. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Yeah that got destroyed by an angel.

Also because it was making all of the fights he should have trouble with as a lantern too easy.

4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"Touched by an Angel" sure turned out to be a lot less positive for one's prospects than the TV show would have us believe.

DrThoth likes this.
  5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

He lost it when the Angel of War curbstomped his orange ass.

Gantradies and Korfayron like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Anyone know if Abin Sur's wife has a canonical name?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  7. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

If she does, I've never seen it.

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Doesn’t have it anymore - destroyed by angels

Korfayron likes this.
  9. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

You mean the Brand of Sacrifice from Berserk? What is up with that, man? Gunn's gonna get sued, you watch.

10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Really, that was more of an excuse. Sure, it's a very plausible one, that is a serious risk, but still an excuse. Also, Luthor naturally ignores the question of what if another alien shows up, doesn't have that weakness, and is hostile (and you don't have Superman around to save you, anymore), or has abilities that let them find out what happened to Superman, and becomes hostile as a result.

11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The second one is unlikely, and he thought he could probably deal with the 1st, if he could deal with Superman. I mean, he does become Superman sometime in New 52 / Rebirth for a while.

12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Different Luthor, and the one in Metropolitan Man got ridiculously lucky (kind of like a fanfic writer contrived the ending he/she wanted to have) killing that Superman in the first place.

13. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Off topic but I'd like to ask what happened to this Tananari person, if you're willing to share?

Drode likes this.
  14. Threadmarks: Wing and Dagger (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

22nd January
    03:40 GMT

Aaaaand rest.

Gravity… Normal. Mutations removed, spell eater temperature no longer increasing. Rings, state power reserves.

"Sixty nine percent power remaining." / "Eighty three percent power remaining." / "Seventy one percent power remaining."

Don’t even need to recharge.

The soldiers move forward from their position near the borehole cautiously, keeping both the entrance to the temple proper and the Blessed One's corpse under their guns-. The entrance, the Blessed One and me under their guns the entire time.

"Oh, knock it off. I'm not impressed."

The.. flight leader makes a motion with his left hand and the guns are pointed elsewhere. "I was concerned that the alien might be.. influencing you."

"It was a corporeal creature with some spell casting ability. It would have to have been much better at magic before it could breach my defences. If you're interested-" The soldiers take position around the entrance. "-in learning what fighting actual demons is like, you should request a tour of duty on Earth."

"The day I get a power ring, I will do that."

"No, a power ring is what you get for surviving on Earth. We have five Sector Lanterns and three Honour Guard Lanterns for a reason."

He shudders slightly. "What sort of insane deathworld is it?"

"Grow some primaries." I get a short glare as he flaps his wings and glides over to the entrance. "Ms Parker, the Blessed One appears to be dead. Anything we need to do in order to make certain?"

"Sever the neck or destroy the brain."

I look over to the soldiers forming up around it. "You get-?"

They fire directly into its eyes, burning holes through into its skull cavity.

"Done. Should we expect more?"

"I don't know."

"Any other creatures we might run into?"

"Blessed Ones were always rare. They should be down to-"

"Man-Hawks!"

"-Man-Hawks and cultists. They might-"

Man-Hawks swoop down from the temple's interior, but the soldiers are prepared. Shots strike their avian faces and most of the first wave end their stoop with a crash into the floor. The thanagarians flit left and right, dodging their assailants and their plummeting bodies. Yes, this is what happens-

I raise my right hand and erase a Man-Hawk that was using two of its fellows for cover.

-when barbarians charge soldiers.

"-have a priest."

"A magic user?"

"Maybe, but the Seven Devils know more about Nth metal than any mortal-. Well, they did in m-. In Chay-ara's day. They might have advanced weapons down there."

I nod as the last of the Man-Hawks fall. "Everyone hear that?"

The soldiers give no sign that they've heard me as they finish off the last of the Man-Hawks, then press onward into the temple. Alright, fine, I'm not in their chain of command.

"Have you heard anything from the others?"

"Hector's team found a reliquary. Some indication of recent use, but there wasn't anyone there. Nothing from the others yet."

"Rightoh. I'll try and get a prisoner."

"Why?"

Ah, the commander was listening.

"I have ways of making them talk."

Construct armour to full, fat tendrils of orange light reaching out because whatever destroys my filaments is still active… I stride forwards into the temple behind the soldiers. They're leaving photon emitters as they go. Clever little things; rather than shining light out like a torch they cause things in their vicinity to leak a small number of photons. As a result the area glows enough to be clearly visible without there being a blinding light source anywhere. It still makes it a bit obvious to anyone further in that we're coming, of course. Thanagarians can be sneaky, but it's certainly not a focus of their doctrines. I suppose that being able to see clearly is probably more helpful when you're sure that you outnumber and outgun your enemies. And I'm reasonably confident that all of the corpses and shooting was a bit of a clue as to our intent.

What could go wrong? Ring, scan the soldiers for Man-Hawk mutations.

Minor physical alterations found.

Internal only. "Ms Parker, how long does it take to turn a thanagarian into a Man-Hawk? Assuming that they weren't volunteering."

"I don't know."

"Why do you need to know?"

"The soldiers here are being altered. Nothing overt yet, but my ring can detect it. They're going to need to be quarantined after the mission is over."

"I will arrange for physicians to attend to them. There is enough space around the temple itself to set up an isolation ward."

"Good. If we're lucky-" Sounds of shooting from up ahead. "-the transformations will stop when we nobble the priesthood."

"Understood. It is best to be prepared."

I accelerate to a jog, passing through another internal doorway to see the thanagarian soldiers suppressing defenders in what the map Ms Parker provided says is the inner sanctum. The weapons they're using… Gravitic accelerator kinetic projectile guns. Reasonable against Thanagarian military armour, useless against my kinetic barrier. I rise off the ground and fly through the breach at speed, ignoring the incoming fire as my barrier stops it before it can hit me. I retaliate with pinpoint destructive pulses, shooting their guns and destroying them. They pull Nth metal knives, so I drop a vertigo inducer at their feet and they collapse, clutching at their ears. While the cultists are wearing regulation creepy robes the soldiers are wearing sealed helmets, so that will be fine.

"Dread Thasaro! My lord and master!"

Sounds like a cult leader. The soldiers charge in, checking for targets and… They've been ordered to take prisoners. They're restricting themselves to inflicting disabling injuries rather than taking kill shots. I fly further in and catch sight of a robed figure standing in front of an idol, knife pointed at his own body. He spots my orange glow and turns, but my orange tendrils are easily powerful enough to punch through his weak shield spell.

"And brand."

He jerks, and my sigil appears on his forehead.

"Orange Lantern to ship. Mission accomplished."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Honor Guard Lanterns should be Paul, Jordan, and Guy. Then there's Scott, Stewart, and the Russian chick whose name I can't remember. Who are the other two Sector Lantern?

Is that the thanagarian version of the insult, or a common one in space?

16. Mr Zoat

Xor and Mother of Mercy.
    It's actually not a thanagarian insult, but he understood the intent.

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Nice to see Paul being efficient and effective.

should that be "and erase"?

Maybe "appears to be dead"? But its probably fine as is.

Prince Charon likes this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I very much doubt it, if we are being at all realistic there's no way he doesn't have enough Nth metal in his body to shrug that off.

19. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Sounds like someone to assimilate if he can. Having a surplus of Nth metal weapons for things like railgun shots would be awesome.

20. Topher876

Topher876 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think it's referring to primary feathers, the long ones at the tip of the wing. So probably limited to Thanagar.

21. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

This line should be enshrined as the best line of the Series this year, it should be a Hall of Fame at the beginning of this story that has all the best lines for a year just so people can see some of the great lines that this story has produced.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's still on Earth? Also, do they really count as Sector Lanterns if they are only there temporarily? If I remember correctly, Mother of Mercy is only there to help Mars. Even if it takes years, once she's done, she leaves. Does Xor even come from the same sector as Earth? He's planning on completely remaking his planet's government, right?

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Good to see it works places other than Earth.

Say it with me: Earth is Bullshit.

I raise my right hand as I erase a Man-Hawk that was using two of its fellows for cover.

No doubt the requisite Hollywood Nazi accent wouldn't come through in translation...

Should be 'into' unless they're already inside the temple proper?

Genre-savviness should count as a super-power!

Who's the second speaker here? The Thanagarian commander?

Not 'destruction pulse', or is that the specific command?
    Should be 'the' or 'his', depending on preference.

Which is why said priest is going to be clapped in chains ASAP, I hope.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, off-topic, but are there enough omakes on this thread to put a part five on your omake list? The only one I'm aware of right now is the one I made about Zatanna talking to her father after Paul straight out rejected her.

Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Yes. He says so when someone interrupts his conversation with Sharon Parker a little earlier.

26. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

'well, technically' is not how you get great quotes, my good sir.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

So he was basically hyping up Earth to the thanagarians? If he was, I hope a lot of aliens come to think of Earth as a place where you can get a rep if you survive.

Gantradies and Navi-Hank like this.
  28. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

TBH for named aliens earth is a place where you get rep for surviving: 'I went toe-to-toe with superman' type rep

29. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

Weird, I havent been getting alerts from this story for the last few days.

30. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Man, it is nice to see well trained soldiers doing their job. And I include OL in that. He picked his idols and methods very early in this story, and trained himself in those ways well.

If what we seen in the past few arcs is representative of how the Orange Lantern Corps is training their recruits, I think they're going to be more SWAT/secret agent in their manner of operation. Meet up with the local gov, cooperate as much as is reasonable, and then execute the plan with precision. By the book, just as the Controllers want it done.

It contrasts favorably to how the GL Corps does it, which is much more lone sheriff in the Wild West style. Sweep into town only when they decide its necessary to put out fires and crack heads, maybe leave a firm warning behind them of the way out. Building a aura of awe and respect, just as the Guardians will it.

Makes me wonder how the other Corps will design their modus operandi. The indigo's seem to work off of a missionary method, working in spite and detatched from any government or local authority. Which seems ok, but without organisation and oversight it seems like their efforts would be inefficient and patchy. Then again, power rings can overcome a lot of inefficentcies. Blues would seem to fall into the same camp, but more along the disaster relief and recovery aid efforts. Neither of these really speak to any method of law enforcement though. Indigo varying between non lethal and instantly lethal?

Reds would be more avengers/ crusaders, hunting out crimes and injustice that fall under specific interests, being one man "Punisher"-type wecking balls. But it would be cool to see a "Joan of Arc" style revolutionary, uniting a group under the auspices of anger to overthrow corrupt rulers.

I wonder what a productive, positive(?) influence Yellow or Violet Corps would be like?

Man, I went off on a wide tangent there. Sorry about that. One of the reasons I love this story is that it asks hard questions that could never have been answered in the comics. And its great to see the pay off here in the past few arcs.