1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

You do realize the station opened fire first, as well as established an anti lantern ftl barrier?

Alexandercctv likes this.
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

One, they shot first.

Two, he's operating on behalf of the Ungaran government, which would make him a privateer.

Three, he's operating as an associate of a Green Lantern, which makes him law enforcement...

infinityDivided, Ardy, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, we got a brief description of the 'usual arrangement':
    And those were for the ships, which were built by Ungaran(traitors), destroyed by Ungarans, and were under active guard by Ungarans in the territory of the Ungarans.

Meanwhile, this station is intact, unknown to them (unless OL informed them already), and might be entirely outside their territory. If they claim to have rights to it despite all of that, I'd accuse them of pulling a Earth.

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah, Zoat you are such a cliffhanger whore. :p

Alexandercctv likes this.
  5. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

We don't know, because the Author insists of daily spamming of snippets.

Find out next time on Drag-...

AidanMorgan likes this.
  6. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

No. As he is currently working as a law enforcement agent, he is not only justified on returning fire after being attacked, he is actually required to help with investigations in whatever way he can.

In this case, finding out why the fuck a space station is rocking anti lantern technology seems pretty sensible.

7. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

They launched an lantern Interfiction field and opened fire with weapons noted effective against lantern, i think it’s a little more then suspicion.

8. Empty

Empty Getting out there.

Drag On Paul Z?

(The Z stands for Zoat).

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You do realize that he's not officially a space police officer and it's perfectly legal for them to do those things if they have a legal claim to that area of space?

10. Buggy123

If they're a polity, then any consequences for OL attacking them would come down to the relationship of this polity with it's neighbors. Given that they aren't publicly known and are strongly suspected to be pirates (and have not-insignificant evidence backing it up), I would guess that relationship would be "if you don't shoot them, we'll fly over there and do it ourselves.".

Bramble Thorn, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  11. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

That station is sentient and currently helping produce ships to fight the Reach. Paul wants a space station that would be his own personal property to do fun projects with.

I thought Shippy McShipface was Martyrd by the Angelic Armies when the "misunderstanding" between them happened. Or am I thinking of a different ship.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He’s working with a Green Lantern, so he is. Plus you ignored the whole “we don’t know what the legal status of any of this is in spite of what you made up”

RagnarokAscendant and Buggy123 like this.
  13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I dubbed the pirate ship he just acquired that as well.

14. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

24th January
    20:40 GMT

Let's… Start with the parts I do understand. With all of these positrons being thrown around, I'm not surprised that primary power appears to be a matter-antimatter reactor. Secondary power provided by a model of bleed torsion generator I don't immediately recognise, but whose functionality is completely familiar. The source for the anti-matter… A minor planar portal, taking trace amounts of matter from the anti-matter universe. Bit of a risk -and it lowers the odds against this being a Qwardian facility somewhat- but not stupid-dangerous. In theory I could scuttle the place by widening the portal a little, but the design looks like it's only supposed to open at the atomic scale and I don't think it can be made bigger. If that's all whoever made this place had, then they haven't been shipping material back and forth.

Alert! Gravity distortions detected!

The generators are arranged around the edge of the central space. Main power is a heavily armoured unit in the centre of the floor, though the actual generator extends downward a way. The level I'm standing on is about a third of the way up the central space. A little above me… Ah. Gravity works a little differently up there. The robot armature globe in the upper portion of the space… Molecular fabricators flicker as parts redesign themselves mid… Whatever they're doing. Attempting to scan

Error.

Error? What do you mean, 'error'?

Error.

Ring, explain the sorts of thing that could result in you reporting 'error' rather than giving a helpful answer?

Energy forms which defy analysis. Alterations in space-time which affect the systems this ring uses to detect anything. Artefacts which this ring's programming specifically instructs it to report as 'error'.

That better not be-.

Nonsensical results.

If I asked you which this was, you'd say 'error', wouldn't you?

That is the most likely result.

Not seeing any avarice. How about those gravity distortions? Is someone pointing a singularity weapon at me?

No singularity weapon found.

I take another look around. This looks like somewhere that has been left to its own devices for some time. Tiny amounts of dust have escaped the scrubbers and have built up in crevices or places where the limited airflow generated by the atmosphere processors deposit it. Atmosphere means that someone comes here on a regular basis. Or.. did. Because if it was supposed to be purely automatic there wouldn't be a nasty abrasive atmosphere in here, and if it was occupied infrequently they wouldn't bother having an atmosphere in all sections.

But… No, the station that was here was destroyed. This was built since. Why?

Alert! Gravity distortions detected!

Ring, you're not 'erroring' from the gravity distortions, are you?

No. Gravity anomalies are simple to detect and measure. It is possible that this ring reached an error state by attempting to analyse the source of the gravity anomaly.

Because if you could tell what it was then it wouldn't be an anomaly.

Correct. Alert was sounded because the source error.

Fair enough. Any idea what those robot arms are up to?

Armatures are engaged in dangerous materials analysis. Object error.

You can't make sense of what they're analysing.

Conclusion is compatible with observed data. However, confirmation is error.

They're analysing something that is making itself the centre of local gravity… But I didn't notice anything on the outside and… Gravity is more or less normal where I'm standing?

Ring, contact Lantern Stewart.

Unable to comply.

Can't FTL out, can't scan properly, can't talk to-.

I trigger my armour's fracture-pulse receiver. "Illustres to Lantern Stewart and Lantern Xor. Please respond."

"Illustres to Controller Hinon. Please respond."

Now, if this were a horror film, this would be the time to turn smartly around and leave. Thing is, I don't have anything more dangerous to bring to bear than me. So extra layer of construct armour, gravity stabilisation field, various other 'weird stuff suppression' constructs… What else?

Mm. Might be worthwhile.

FEED ME.

Orange light blazes out across the room and… That was a bit stronger than I thought it was going to be. Ring power… I have the rings display their charge as a dial and as I watch it visibly goes down. Not super-fast, but this isn't something I'm going to want to leave on. Should feed on just about anything… The metal around me is tarnishing. Nothing magic, nothing exotic enough to feed it.

I use my armour's flight systems to get closer to the robotic assemblage. Arms are still moving, none of them are pointed at me, none of them are purely weapons.

The closest begin to shudder as my rings eat their energy, the fabricators failing part way through their reconstruction. When their armatures lose power the devices don't fall down, they fall inwards and there's an audible clang and thump as they hit things on their way down. Or up or whatever. I point my hands at the mechanisms directly in front of me and the entropy effect intensifies, parts falling to pieces-

Which rather suggests that this isn't one of Devlos Ungol's facilities, as I haven't been shot by the internal defences yet.

-and crumpling inwards, giving me a clear view of…

A spherical force field containing a lump of blue metal with a cut segment of yellow cable sticking out of it. All told it would fit in a cube three metres along each side. The ends appear to have been.. fractured? Not cut or melted. Though the surface facing me is smooth. It doesn't appear to actively be doing anything.

Well, that was exciting. No Black Circle logos and no Mr van Wyck means that I've wasted my time. I mean… It's interesting that a chunk of… Machinery? Is doing that, but it's hardly something I needed to see now. And now I'm going to be late for John's attack. I shut down the ring's omnivore effect and drop back down to the gantry below, the robotic arms above me starting to work on repairing the missing parts as I go. I'll stick some monitoring devices in the area and see if anyone turns up. I should.. probably destroy the station as a hazard to shipping. Or at least spend some time destroying those guns so I can come back more easily. Or maybe if I find the central computer? Is it worth taking the time to-?

There's a flare of blue.. flame..? From my entry point and a powerfully built-. No, a humanoid figure in bulky white and red power armour strides through. Ring, sc-.

Error.

Oh good.

"Excuse me-."

The figure looks up, purple energy billowing-.

I'm already moving, construct thrusters appearing as his energy blast burns through the air next to me, scything through the machinery only to whiff on the force field protecting the fragment.

"A Lantern."

Room at the sides. I fly up and past the machinery fragment as whoever this is misses twice more.

"The wrong colour, but I'll take what I can get."

He lifts off the platform, slowly. The energy blasts… I can see space through the shot which missed the force field. I can't fly fast enough to get out of the interdiction area before he can get shots off. He doesn't appear to be a particularly good shot, so I might be able to evade his fire… Sub-optimal approach.

"Whom do I have the pleasure of addressing?"

"I am Devlos Ungol-"

I form singularity weapons and fire them.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

We'll, this will be interesting.

HearthBorn likes this.
  16. Athrawe

Athrawe Getting out there.

No hesitation from paul,hope he actualy has something that con take him down

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

But not a typical pirate operation either.

Oh, come on... I hate software that thinks it knows better than its user, even if it was made by Maltusians...

Because if you could tell what it was then it wouldn't be an anomaly.

'because of the' unless it was intentional?

Uh-oh.

Fascinating... Those colours sound familiar...

...and drop back down to the gantry below...

The guns probably have systems to rebuild them...

...well..sheeeeeeit.

What a time to run into a challenge boss. This little sidequest just got a lot harder.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  18. Buggy123

Someone needs to sit down with Hinon and explain the finer details of UI design; genius or not, she's clearly missed a few things.

19. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paragon should really have left and come back with either his allies or Hinon- he knows he’s not in a horror movie but he is in a comic book-based setting, and rule of drama is alive and well.
    At least his immediate singularity beam approach seems sensible, though I expect Ungol to just no-sell them in the next update.

20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, the ring errorred again.

21. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Blue and yellow.

In a facility that's connected to the Antimatter Universe.

Vanna, can we see the puzzle board please?

A-N-T-_ M-O-N-_-T-O-R

...I'd like to buy a vowel.

22. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

...Maybe he should grab Hinnon. You know, just for a laugh.

23. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I do love OL's measured reactions :D

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

NAGGERS!

Paul really has a talent to step in it, hasn't he?

I am a bit surprised the internal defences were so lacking though. Unless Devlos stays at that base permanently and considers himself adequate protection.

25. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

So Rude, OL-Chan! If you're asking a question, you should have the courtesy to let them answer!

26. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

no clue who this guy is

any one here have a PHD in exposition ?

27. alid610

alid610 Light of the Revolution

Cue 8 chapters of OL throwing everything and the kitchen sink at this dude who just so happens to be scan proof tracking proof and lantern proof even though he never fought a lantern as powerful or versetile as OL.

28. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

so the past few chapters Paul has been checking ruined ships from a fallen empire that was run by a really bad really powerful dude, that's this guy and he's meant to be super strong so Paul is kinda going 'oh this dude kill him'

29. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is OL. The only people he ever just defeats are other heroes. He's kinda like the C-lister who gets tanked and beat up to show how serious the threat is.

30. Maelgwyn

Maelgwyn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hmm, so galactic conqueror turned Wild West outlaw, never thought I'd see that combination.

Otto von Saurion and DAT_NOOB like this.