1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Ah well. My knowledge about the Bleed comes from reading The Authority about a decade before its distinctiveness was assimilatedadded to DC's universe (2000 vs 2010).

Vorian and DrThoth like this.
  2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He could probably replicate a thinking cap with his constructs if he tried.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt.

4. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I've read almost no DC comics at all; i'm working purely from knowledge of Zoat's work here, so I have no idea if what i'm saying is accurate for the rest of DC or not.

Well, parts of DC or not. It's sure as hell not accurate for all of it, the bleed probably doesn't even exist in some continuities.

infinityDivided and Ardy like this.
  5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

He did. He even got an improved version. He just... didn't use it, for Watsonian reasons that seemed pretty weak when I read them, but now I'm not recalling them. Doylistly, it may have been 'because it would make some of his fights too easy, and would be redundant with the ring for fights where it didn't.'

6. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

iirc it involved invisible monkeys?

7. ThatOneFreak

ThatOneFreak Making the rounds.

Invisible POWER ARMORED monkeys

8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

No, that was a reason not to give it to a chimpanzee that you plan on turning invisible (yes, really; still not sure what they were thinking), IIRC, not a reason for Paul not to use it on himself.

Bramble Thorn, Drode and Xjalnoir like this.
  9. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Didn't it make whoever wore it crazy for some reason that they were having trouble discerning? Seems like a good enough reason to be hesitant about using it.

Vorian, Xjalnoir, gustyeagle and 2 others like this.
  10. Bojacks

Bojacks Getting out there.

So I was reading this and i had an epiphany. Paul isn't R.O.B.-ed, he's a Jumper who has the Universal Drawback of not knowing Jump-chan.

I should have realized this when he got the peek into alternate/future timelines.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  11. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Thank you, corrected.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  12. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

His player must be a real dick then, having taken 1200 cp of drawbacks in jump and the additional without why universal drawback for 200 cp and all the player purchased for his Jumper was a discounted 400 cp item.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

what is this i dont even

Bramble Thorn, Drode, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  14. Aeess

You are aware of the With this ring Jump?

Pauls is affected by following drawbacks
    and the without why universal drawback

And the only thing that was received at the beginning of the jump was a Power Ring which is worth 400 cp without a lantern or database, but because Paul is a Drop-in it only costs 200 cp. Now there are still 2200 cp left that weren't used for anything.

15. Mr Zoat

Hah! I think I did know about it, but I'd long since forgotten about it. Did anyone actually use it for anything substantive?

16. Aeess

Sorry I cant really say, I haven't really seen it used beyond a couple of snippets. But I also dont really read jumpchain stories.

17. Timetech

Timetech Getting some practice in, huh?

I used that document in a private chain [part of testing a thing.]

18. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Lantern Chain [Jumpchain SI] This is a story, not a quest or some such.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Never knew there was anything like that Jumpchain doc. Is there more stuff like that, and if yes, can someone post those docs?

20. Bojacks

Bojacks Getting out there.

There is a reddit composed to it. Reddit.com/r/Jumpchain has all youd want there. They have a link to the drives that I don't atm

21. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

24th January
    20:51 GMT

Since he's in full power armour I can't actually tell whether that did anything or not, but I fire off another barrage anyway. Cold gun beams… Hit home, actually, but there aren't any outwardly visible signs that they're doing anything. Next come crumbler rounds and a somewhat hopeful mageslayer. The crumblers cause a very slight discolouration on the outer surface of the armour and the mageslayer does nothing at all.

"Who the fuck-"

Mr van Wyck takes a shot as well, to… No effect.

"-is thi-"

Accelerate.

"-ssssssss-"

Options. Fight or disengage? Destroying the station should remove the interdiction field. But Devlos already rebuilt this place once, and I suspect that the teleporter he used is either built into his armour or can at least be remotely activated. Which means that it wouldn't strand him here and we would no longer know his location.

"-ssssssss-"

I switch the crumblers out for x-ionised needle-tipped rounds and reach out towards the plant life in his body in an attempt to make it grow.

"-ssssssss-"

So killing him here is infinitely preferable. However, at the moment I'm down to my own exotics, the one magic attack I can perform on my own and… What? He's demonstrated that he can't affect the force field around the armour fragment. Touching the observable outer edge of the force field doesn't appear to do anything. Can I teleport him into it?

"-ssssssss-"

I doubt it, but just bringing him into contact with it should be a bit easier. I don’t think that my impact constructs were really driving him anywhere he didn't want to be. What does that leave?

"-ssssssss-"

Huh. Yes, that's…

"-guy?"

The x-ionised needle-tipped rounds spark as they strike his armour, but I don't see any penetrating. I'm getting a vague feeling from the plant life in his body, but I wouldn't want to swear that it's doing what I want. There are all sorts of ways to suppress that sort of technique, not least of which is to be so heavily cyberised that you don't have any plant life anywhere vital.

"Effigy, your FTL is telekinetic, yes?"

"Huh? Yeah?" He raises his right hand to the tear across his face. "Fuck this hurts."

"rAGH!" Another flash of purple and Devlos faces us once more. "Is that it, Lantern? Have you no more tricks to try?"

"Can you move objects other than yourself?"

"I don't know. Why?"

"His attacks destroy-"

Devlos darts upwards and fires another curved barrage. I pull back, throwing up both solid and ablative construct barriers as well as actual armour plates. His attacks burst through them, but his line of sight is blocked for long enough that Mr van Wyck can evade his shots without having them home in on him.

"-everything except the force field. I'm hoping it can nullify his weapon."

"'Hoping'?"

"I wasn't planning on meeting him either. Can you do it?"

"Not with him shooting like that. I need to build up to it."

Alright then. Still backing away from Devlos-

"You'll run out of power before I do, Lantern!"

-I generate new beam singularity projectors. The station has more than a few holes in it, but the armoured superstructure means that it's not in any real danger of falling apart.

Yet.

I fire, beams sweeping across the walls, neatly cutting the station in two. Immediately lights flicker as half the station loses its connection to the main reactor. Which is the one thing I don't want to destroy. Backing up further I get a clear shot at the upper part of the station-

"I’ll rebuild, Lantern. Wanton destruction is the natural state of all things!"

-and fire again. Disconnected parts of the station would be clanging against one another if there was any air to convey the sound. Ring, is FTL available yet?

Space warping is still unavailable. Transition is available.

Great.

So. Can orange power rings feed on Bleed-based attacks, the manifestations of energies entirely novel to this universe?

"I'll distract him, you slam him into it."

"What if it doesn't work?"

"We try something else. Ready?"

Flames coat his arms, and the ones rising from his head billow and waver. "Yes."

Let's find out.

Transition and FEED!

BaBUM

Devlos is firing shots towards where I was as I reappear behind him, orange light shining over him and… Yes, the colour of his armour's external surface is fading. Don't know if it's doing anything to the inside or to the man himself-.

He turns and I jink to avoid his first wild shot. I try directing the FEED effect towards it. Don't.. notice any difference, but I'm not going to tank a shot to check.

Warning: power reserves at 50%.

FEED ME!

Tiny tiny flakes of the outer surface of his armour fall away from the main mass, floating in the near-vacuum as the artificial gravity gives up the ghost.

I want that armour.

FEED ME!

I jink around two more shots, my area effect ability remaining active even as I transition out of the way, my mental acceleration giving me just enough time to evade. Still on a clock as I hit 45%. Any time, van Wyck-.

Devlos gestures and a purple-.

Space twists, flames materialising around Devlos as he's suddenly right in front of me and miles away. Space snaps back a moment later and the force field appears to undulate as Devlos slams into it. He freezes in surprise and his purple shield vanishes.

Not dying? Alright.

"FEED ME!"

His armour shines orange for a second.

"NYYYAAAAAAAGH!"

And I get a brief vision of the man inside as he evaporates.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn. I hope there is a reliable recording of this somewhere. This alone could raise Paul's standing in the sector by factor of a million or so.

23. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ok, that is cool. But so very disturbing. What will OL get out if this? The station? I'm still unclear what FEEDing does.

But I bet Hinon is going to freak when she sees the artifact.

24. Buggy123

Did he just energy drain someone so hard that all of their molecules fell apart?

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Geez, 99.9% resist to all damage is such garbage. What developer decided this was a fair endgame-tier fight?

And you do not want to lose sight of this guy...

Goddamn puzzle bosses.

Gee, shame you can't heal with TK, huh?

Literally bringing the house down. :p

Time to find out!

That's what I said! :D

Oooh, haven't seen that for a while...

...Did you just pull the Picard maneuver on him?

He turns and I jink to avoid his first wild shot.

Good idea.

Down from what, 300%? Dayum that's expensive...

Who wouldn't?

Either he's dead, or he pulled a Code 19-63 ('Suspect escaped into an extra-dimensional vortex'.)

That was a damn close fight. I'm guessing we will hear from him again. Now to loot!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Congratulations Paul, you probably just kick started the restoration of the Anti-Monitor.

sagemo, DAT_NOOB and BR549 like this.
  28. Buggy123

Or... killed the insane, omnicidal, nigh-invulnerable researcher who was doing his best to understand it and revive it/use it's destructive power to ravage the universe?

29. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

I think it was a technique he developed based on the Orange Light's assimilation.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You know what would be hilarious - though unlikely for many reasons? If it was really the anti-monitor controlling the armor - Paul might have just assimilated him. We’ve seen it work on very powerful beings before, so long as they want something, and who wants something more than the anti-monitor?