1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The wonders of collective responsibility.

In Kryptonian society, it was completely normal to hold people accountable for the behaviour of other members of their house. Karsta Wor-Ul holding the behaviour of the vast majority of House El again Kal-El is pretty normal by their standards.

Karsta Wor-Ul is not afraid of Kal-El. She's hiding out because she knows that someone killed everyone she went AWOL with and she's now an old woman.

2. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

Not quite what I meant- I meant she’s explicitly hiding and using Kal-El as a living shield/decoy,after getting everyone under her command killed (and responding by running for decades when she wasn’t a senior)not that she seemed afraid of him
    - which is a little jarring/eyebrow-raising considering she had the courage to defy one of Krypton’s biggest Taboo’s and refuse to follow what she saw as a suicidally stupid order- an arc/couple of chapters covering what caused that change could be very intresting, and give a better picture of just how hated the children of Krypton were at the point... I’m quite curious if it was a single devistating blow that shattered
    her confidence, or essentially attrition with no resupply or homebase...

And it arguably makes it (feel)even worse given that near-unquestioning obedience of orders from a superior was an even bigger cultural imperative from memory- her clinging to that convention feels hypocritical, to say the least...

oh. Should clarify, was criticising the charicter/her actions/personality in-universe, not the writing-
    would be more then interested in seeing her more frequently

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Vorian likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

I feel you're putting a little much responsibility on her. Once they left the navy they weren't under her command any longer.

She didn't defy a taboo. She accepted that the Science Council had the authority to shut down the navy down and didn't resist. At the time there wasn't a taboo against foreign travel.

4. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

The scene in question.

5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Does Kara speak with an American or British accent? If American, "math".

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, modified.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  7. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is Amalak right? If so, I wonder if Paragon knows.

I also wonder what the title of the episode refers to; superficially it indicates we’re seeing the aftermath of the Silver City incursion, or something related to Blaze more personally (has she or anyone made an effort to get in contact with her mother? Could be a useful witness for Satanus’s ongoing court case, besides the personal aspect- both mother and daughter are remorseful ex-demons after all).

Some random questions I also had in the back of my mind (mostly about Awakening since I really like that idea) include:
    -What are the differences between a New God speedster (like Iname and Renegade Wally) and a more conventional one like the previous Flashes? Paragon Kid Flash and Max Mercury can both manipulate the speed of others, so I’d imagine a proper New God of speed could do something similar, but do they also have any uniquely esoteric capabilities?
    -In the same vein, if Renegade Jade did end up becoming a New God of teleportation, what could she do that was different from/better than a ‘typical’ teleporter?
    -Would any non-pureblood Atlantean become pureblood if divinely Awakened, no matter how divergent they were from the humanoid form? That seems like it could have potential complications.
    -Is anyone doing research on divine Awakening in the Paragon timeline after encountering the Key? (I might have asked this already).
    -Could Genomorphs be Awakened since their souls, weak as they are, developed on Earth? And if it’s possible, could it spread from one member to the entire hive consciousness?

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Technically, no, but Amalak made it clear how he felt about the place and it wouldn't surprise him.
    In terms of pure speed, not a lot. Standard New God bonuses include agelessness and enhanced special defence, and they also get a slightly greater instinct for novel uses of their powers.
    Star Trek teleporters versus Oni Lee.
    No. Kaldur got a knock-off version of Ahri-ahn's spell. Other aquatic adaptation spells would respond differently.
    No.
    Not at present. As their forebears were kryptonian they don't have enough of a history of association with the Life Entity. That said, there are almost certainly ways around that.

9. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait what? Genomorphs are from Krypton?

10. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC, the Renegade found out from Luthor that he basically cloned them from the remains of... I think it was Doomsday? Some kind of probably-Kryptonian monster that hitched a ride on a meteor.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, it was going to be Doomsday before Zoat found out someone else did a story with that idea, so he made them developed from Nam-Ek the immortal kryptonian unicorn man.

12. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

28th January
    09:27 GMT -5

Kara can barely stop herself giggling as we head towards the training room.

"…sound conceited about this, but last time I helped a young woman out like this… Things got a bit-"

"It's okay."

"-awkward, and while you're a perfectly pleasant-."

"You're not my type either."

I stop, regarding her curiously. She comes to a halt a moment later. "What?"

"What is your type? Because I know a lot of people-."

"Ah-. Look. I'm.. not really-" She shakes her head. "-looking for a relationship right now."

"Glad to hear it." Artemis walks out of an adjacent corridor, eyebrows raised in my direction.

"I was offering to act as a matchmaker. Or at least do some vetting."

I get a mild eye-roll as Artemis steps up to Kara, right hand extended. "Hi, I'm Artemis. You're Supergirl, right?"

"No, I'm Kara Zor-El." Kara cautiously takes Artemis's hand-.

"You don't need to be that careful. I've used the Danner Formula. You don't have to worry about accidentally hurting me by squeezing too hard."

Kara smiles, slightly reassured, as the two of them shake hands. "I'm not a superhero. I don't intend to fly around calling myself 'Supergirl'."

"Oh. Ah, okay." Artemis turns to lead the way towards the training room and we follow on behind her. "How did the thing with Match go?"

"As well as could be expected. He was a little.. 'spaced out', but he wasn't violent or aggressive."

"Kon and M'gann are off the active list for at least a week while they help him settle in."

Artemis glances back. "Is he.. gunna be living here?"

I nod. "Yes, though Kal-El's going to be mentoring him rather than Diana."

Kara frowns uncomfortably. "You're not… Going to make him a 'super hero', are you?"

"No. Being a superhero takes training. We can't just… Throw people out there, whatever super powers they've got."

"And he's effectively new-born, and doesn't have the same programming Kon-El did making him want to fight people. It would make sense for him to take part in some of our training, but only in the same way you are. If he wants to join up later, that's his decision."

"And he's going to be educated in the same school that Kon and M'gann attend?"

Artemis frowns. "I thought they were just gunna use the g-gnomes?"

"Probably, and that's Match's decision. It might work out better if he started school next autumn, give him a chance to acclimatise a bit first."

Artemis doesn't look entirely happy with my answer. "But he's physically a teenager. If he doesn't want people to know where he really came from, it's gunna look kinda weird if he doesn't know-"

We walk out into the training room, where Kal-El is waiting for us with the rest of the active team. Richard and Kaldur look around as we come in, while Wallace-.

"-basic stuff."

Wallace dashes up and halts in front of Artemis. "Hey babe!"

"Hey Wally."

I press on as they embrace and Kara flies over to talk to Kal-El. Robert and Beryl are here, as are Raquel, Tula, Garth and Leonid. Canis-.

"Orange Lantern." Kaldur heads my way. "Canis Minor has not returned from Ungara."

"Still?" I would have thought that he would have come back by now. "Is that.. critical?"

"No, but it is difficult to plan for team exercises if I do not know who will make an appearance."

I nod. "I'll head over to Ungara after we finish whatever Superman has for us. See what the hold up is."

He nods. "Thank you. It is most likely that he has merely been struck by inspiration and is spending his time painting or sculpting, but he has not returned to the Mountain for several days."

Roy walks in from the direction of the showers, Wolf and the Sphere close behind. Looks like a full house, then.

Kal-El looks around. "Aqualad, is this everyone?"

"Yes, Superman."

"Alright then." Kal-El calls up a holographic screen as all of us -including Kara- fall in to our accustomed arc. "Last year the Justice League became aware of a effort by a group of demons to sell-" He hesitates, his eyes rest on me for a moment. "-a narcotic based on demon alchemy on Earth." Screenshots from our first encounter with the jizzers appear on the screen. "Since then, police worldwide have been fighting to shut down production and distribution facilities. Unfortunately, the alchemical potions they use can grant the people using them short term superpowers, meaning that they're often more than capable of fighting back."

Footage from a fight in Mexico which occurred while I was off founding the Orange Lantern Corps. A vaguely wolf-like jizzer tears first through members of a rival drug gang and then through a police blockade, bullets… Hitting, but failing to stop it.

"The substance in question was created by a demon lord named Satanus, known to the world as the media tycoon Collin Thornton."

An image of him in both forms appears on screen.

"With his arrest and imprisonment last year-"

And after what happened with The Demon Constantine, Waller quadrupled down on the magic defences and convinced the committee overseeing Belle Reve to authorise a round the clock presence of Atlantean mages. Constantine's alter-ego is cunning, but as far as I could tell he doesn't have much more raw power than the regular version. Or… Less, now, I suppose. So I don't think there's anyone with a strong motive to attempt to liberate Collin Thornton, and I'm reasonably sure that he can't escape by himself.

"-we hoped that the supply would be cut off, or at least reduced. Unfortunately, he had already passed responsibility for that over to one of his allies, a demon named Rosacarnis."

The picture of Satanus vanishes, replaced by one of the ones I took over New Year of the woman herself.

"Usually, a demon lord would play his cards close to his chest. The fact that Satanus was willing to share his knowledge with other demons means that we might not be dealing with a single supply chain any longer."

Which isn't exactly a novel problem. If only one person knew how to make heroin or cocaine the War on Drugs might actually be winnable.

The picture of Rosacarnis disappears, and is replaced a map of Virginia.

"State police in Virginia have uncovered what they think is a distribution network. They've made a series of arrests-"

Images appear on the screen, police leading various people away in handcuffs and in one case standing on guard in the aftermath of their SWAT team shooting a transformed Jizzer dead.

"-but they're a little concerned that they're going to run into harder resistance when they close in on the ringleaders. They've asked the Justice League for help, and that's where you come in. You'll be assisting police departments in Richmond, Midvale and Leesburg with detecting users and suppliers." He turns his attention to the team's magic users. "They've already been granted the warrants they need for using magic-detection spells, so you won't need to worry about whether your tests are admissible in court or not."

A minor grimace from Tula and Garth. They were called to testify on a case a few months ago, and the uncomfortable place magic occupies in the American judicial system gave the defence lawyer an avenue for trying to get their testimony thrown out.

"Your mission is to aid them in the detection and apprehension of anyone associated with the network. Your secondary objective is to see what you can find out about who in Hell is in charge of the supply side, so that the Justice League can try and do something about that side of things."

"Does anyone have any questions?"

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

This sentence is funny without context.

Midvale is apparently Supergirl's stomping grounds, while Leesburg... a different version of Supergirl. Given the target...

Are there any versions of Supergirl that get demonically possessed, or otherwise influenced?

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Superman! Language!

Oh yes, rational, well-planned mission time :D

Professionalism ftw!

15. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

The War on drugs continues.

16. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, asking this now: is the War on Drugs recent politics? I mean, it's kinda still going, but it's been a while, right?

Vorian and Istaran like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Richard Nixon used the term in 1969.

18. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I can’t wait for Paul to be like “Hey, I could just call up my Homie the current King Of Hell and ask what’s going on. You know, if you’re in a hurry.”

19. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Heh

The War on Drugs isn't quite so recent in terms of the memory of the United States, but it was such an abject failure that the fact that it's still going on is still a heavily controversial topic.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Weren't they supposed to be keeping that top secret to keep the info of his capture and replacement from getting back to Hell?

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the basic assumption of hero-dom...

I see Kara's more comfortable around people she can't accidentally break.

Superboy and Wonderboy on the same team :D

Usually, anyway. Some people go out in costumes as soon as they get powers...

...And see whether he needs more esoteric aid.

Uh-oh.

Could be worse, he could be partying...

Hmm... Who coined the term Devil JIzz again? Or did OL make use of it in formal reports?

I'm wondering what Kara's reaction to this is. I expect she's heard of stranger things since arriving on Earth.

The sort of thing usually blurred out on TV, or accompianied by "Viewer discretion is advised."

Something funny about this sentence...

I'm impressed. Impressed that she'd be that open to adjusting her methods...

But that's not a non-zero chance...

Missing Full Stop.

Must have been a weak dose, or early in the transformation...

Ooh, locations sigificant to the Supergirl mythos.

Ugh, seriously? You'd think the law would be more flexible in a world of jetpack gorillas and raygun crooks.

"So, Should I make some calls 'Downstairs', sir?"

Briefing scenes, gotta love 'em.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes.

Nightflame is the sorceress from Supergirl's Innerverse, who possessed Kara and sought to consume her soul. More a demon as in "inner demon" though.

And the Linda Danvers Earth Angel Supergirl series had demons all over the place.

Like Buzz, who is basically demon constantine, except he was a Roman priest who is still in love with his wife, who was reincarnated as Linda Danvers.

And last seen in War in Hell, Linda had fallen to the sin of wrath, although she was in denial about her corruption.

24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Yes. When will we see John Constantine again?

Gilhelmi, c3qo, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  25. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I seem to remember this quote I once heard about a wizard never arriving early, or late, but precisely when he means to...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  26. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

They were until Mammon let the cat out of the bag showboating in Heaven. As it stands, that ship has sailed.

27. Mr Zoat

Not sure. Eventually.

28. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

The League does know that Paragon is in contact with the current ruler of Hell right? Seems a bit strange that wasn’t brought up but perhaps it’s discussed in the next update. Mammon did use Devil Jizz while in disguise but I don’t really see why he wouldn’t still be doing so.

In terms of people wanting to break Colin Thornton out, I’d think the Light has pretty good motivation to do so, which Paragon should know, and they have the probable help of Circe, so I don’t think Atlantean mages will cut it; shame that using the Tower of Fate didn’t seem to work out but I can understand the political/social reasons for not giving up autonomy to that degree.

I suppose the War on Drugs references should imply that just militarily fighting Hell to get them to stop distributing drugs would be ineffective. I can see Paragon getting involved in infernal politics to influence the issue though; with Neron dead and Mammon allied I don’t think there’s really any force that could stand up to him, especially with Blaze, Doctor Fate and League support (it’s a bit irritating that more progress has been done to neutralize literal Hell as a threat than the Light, who as I’ve mentioned should have way less mystic and regular firepower and resources than the protagonists).

Is Blaze working with Atlantean alchemists to help create a counteragent for Devil Jizz?
    Anoher option is Paragon’s initial plan to deal with Colin Thornton; getting Blaze to sanctify cities to prevent infernal influences. I remember discussion of whether that would be legal since demons are legally people now, but I think the idea does still have merit in dealing with Devil Jizz supply networks- perhaps the Church or the Congregation superheroes could help in this regard. I’d imagine Kahndaq has mystic defenses in place to prevent Hell getting a foothold, and possibly China (I don’t know too much about Ghost Fox Killer and Thundermind but they seem useful in this regard, either inherently or as point of contact with magic-users).

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Also possibly relevant, if not now some time down the line, is the time Supergirl got brainwashed by Darkseid...

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  30. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Ha!, I really can't imagine Superman saying 'Jizz'
    Though I'm suprised that the goverment hasn't assigned some sort of 'formal' name to the drug by now.