1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Probably the lower case A after the ellipses, without a space between them. That, or the part of the post after the quote being a sentence fragment was the issue. Proper grammar is serious business on the internet, at least among certain circles.

Hell's Razer and Ardy like this.
  2. Threadmarks: Doppelgängered (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

4th February
    19:35 GMT -5

"…so few examples of Kryptonian media still exist!" Kara shifts uncomfortably as Canis grins excitedly at her. "I am very grateful for this opportunity!" Expand My Horizons!

"I wasn't-. It's not.. anything groundbreaking." She holds up a data stick. "This is just.. light entertainment."

"All the better! Such works give a far better view of the cultural assumptions that underpin Kryptonian culture, so much more so than a deliberately thoughtful piece."

"Ah…" She glances at me for guidance and I shrug apologetically. "Okay?"

Wolf pads into the hangar and stops at the top of the steps, sniffing the air and looking down at Kara with a mildly wary air. Kara notices her and -grateful for an excuse to escape her conversation with Canis- walks towards-. Takes two steps towards the steps and then remembers that she can fly, then does that instead. Floating just above Wolf she holds out her hand, which Wolf cautiously sniffs. Apparently finding the scent acceptable, Wolf gives her a small lick and then turns around to head back into the kitchen. Kara follows her, which leaves me with Canis.

"I understand that Zatanna will be joining us once more."

"Yes. I wasn't banishing her, I just felt that being around me wasn't healthy. If anything, I was banishing myself."

Canis shakes his head. "Illustres. You are a powerful New God. You must learn to accept that.. weaker New Gods will naturally come to arrange themselves around you. Choosing not to bed her is of course your prerogative, but pushing her away when she is clearly so devoted to you is harmful to both of your underlying metaphysical interactions and empowerment."

My eyes narrow. And not just at his implication. I think I.. understood what he means, but the words don't…

"My purpose is to guide people in realising their desires. She had a desire that couldn't coexist with mine or Jade's."

"Because she desires monogamy? Would not changing that desire be more simple?"

"Technically, yes, but I would transgress my nature to do it. And it wouldn't change Jade's feelings on the matter."

Canis frowns. "I know that Lowlies are not without value; my own father began his life as a Hunger Dog. But I do not understand why you let.. her have such power over you. It is… Unnatural. My father was not permitted to mate with my mother until he had achieved his own God-Name, and you are far more powerful than he was."

"Why do you think I encouraged her to join the Darkstars?"

"I respect your optimism, but the chance of her achieving your level of power -even with your aid- cannot be-"

"Recognised, Zatanna Zatara, B Zero Nine. Identity confirmed."

"-great."

Zatanna walks nervously out of the right zeta tube, hesitantly raising her right hand in greeting. I smile and return the gest-

"Salutations!"

-ure, while Canis strides over to her.

"Hi, Canis..?"

"Time permitting, I would appreciate it if you would talk through your fixation with Illustres with me."

"A-ah?"

"I wish to describe your heartache and longing in poetic form, and it would aid me greatly-"

I squeeze my eyes shut and bow my head.

"-if I could bear witness to your exquisite misery first hand."

I walk over to him and lay my right hand on his left shoulder. "Canis, shoo."

He doesn't tense. In fact, I can feel him.. relax. "Yes, Illustres. I apologise for overstepping my bounds." I remove my hand and he turns and walks up the steps towards the kitchen.

Zatanna and I regard each other for a moment.

"I'm sorry about-." / "That was-."

We both look away from one another for a moment.

"Why does he call-?" / "Happy birth-."

Oh, this is getting silly. I take her present and card out of subspace and hold them out. "Happy belated birthday."

"Thank you." She takes them and.. holds them slightly awkwardly. "Why.. did Canis call you 'Illustres'? I know it's your rank, but…"

"He appears to have decided that it's my God-Name, and that calling me anything else would be infantile." She nods. "How are you?"

"Not… Great, but… Better?" She shakes her head. "I know it's not… Good-. Healthy, how I've been…"

"But people don't change how they feel just because they realise they shouldn't."

"Yeah." She nods. "I think-."

"Recognised, Wonder Woman, Zero Three. Identity confirmed."

We both look around as Diana strides through the zeta tube, scanning the room for… Threats? What's going-?

"Diana. You've finally-" Her gaze shifts to me-. Oh, what am I supposed to have done now? "-learned to block my empathic vision. Well done."

She doesn't appear to register the compliment. "You must both come with me at once. It is a matter of the utmost importance."

"Ah… Sure? Do you want us to bring the whole team?"

"No. This requires only your particular skills."

"Ah..?" I glance at Zatanna. "Zatanna isn't.. back on the 'active' roster-."

"No, that's-" Zatanna shakes her head. "-fine. Romra pu!" Smoke coils around her as her armour reappears, and she shrugs at me. "I'm not injured. And I'm sure I can.. cope with being around you for a little while."

"Okay, so-" Diana has already started back towards the zeta tubes. "-where are we going?"

"You will be briefed upon your arrival, along with everyone else."

"Alright, but do I need any-"

"Recognised, Wonder Woman, Zero Three. Identity confirmed."

"-special equipment? Huh."

Zatanna frowns at the zeta tube. "Does she seem a bit.. off to you?"

"Someone might have found out about the Noriel thing… Or she had to take a shift on the Watchtower with Guy or Mister O'Brian." I shrug as I walk into the tube. "Diana's usually fairly serene, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't get frustrated sometimes."

"If you say so."

I shrug as light flares-

"Recognised, Orange Lantern, B zero six. Identity confirmed."

-and I appear…

Um. This isn't-.

Construct armour forms around me just in time to stop the yellow construct gauntlet seizing me around the neck!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. Orannis

Orannis I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh I don't think we were ever gonna see the yellow ring guy.

4. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

...Well, unless Sinestro made a pact with Parallax, the Yellow Lantern Corps is about to get be eaten.

5. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ok, Paul, you gotta be a little more aware here. "Acting a little strange" means mind control in this universe. At least do some sort of preliminary check!

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh-ho, Godspeech! A rare sight in the main timeline.

So, sitcoms and superhero movies?

Interesting how this trails off into Godspeech, completely changing the meaning.

Something's a bit messed up here. Should be an 'And', I think?
    Also: Did OL pick up on that godspeech, or just on the audible only?

...Apokaliptian standards...

Zatanna walks nervously out of the right zeta tube...

Oh god!

Yeah, that would be my reaction too.

No facepalm?

Now this is just rubbing it in.

Good to see he understands the pecking order, even if OL doesn't know there is one.

Human nature, alas.

Oh, this isn't good.

While correct for British English, Zatanna's American. Would it be 'Romra' instead, or has she picked up real English?

Suspicious! We sure this is Earth-16 Diana, or has another cross-time incursion occured?
    (And yes, I know, 'The SI Doesn't Know') :p

Wouldn't Noriel's situation have been in a mission report?
    Ah, Sinestro come to question why OL recruited his daughter?

Godspeech, for those unable to perceive it:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Somehow, I just knew that a trap was coming up. Fake Diana? Or Alternate universe Diana?

Are we about to see a Yellow Lantern Paul?

8. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Given the title of this arc, I suspect "robot duplicate" is the actual culprit.

I'm going to laugh if this is Sinestro being an overprotective father.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Did anyone not see this coming?

11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

The fuck? Paul put seriously OP defenses, both technological (and fucking Maltusian-grade to boot) and super powerful magical defenses that kept out the armies of Hell itself, not to mention 30 different types of mind control and impersonation detection, on the mountain’s zeta tubes.

How the fuck did mind controlled Wonder Woman get in???

12. FreeGod

I don't think that it was Wonder Woman. Likely a Robot which would explain why he could not see any emotions.

13. Ardy

Okay, how did the robot fool Malthusian grade technology and military grade Atlantian defensive magicks specifically designed to stop things like that?

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because none of the things you claimed about Paul are true...

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  15. Ardy

So do you not remember him putting in the super OP defenses on the mountain after Oceanus? Because you might need to see a doctor if you’re forgetting stuff on a regular basis

16. FreeGod

Didn't have Maltusian-grade tech back then.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  17. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

... Yes? He did? After Truggs invaded the mountain, he put in extensive (or, as some people saw it, excessive) defensive measures into the mountain, including both high tech identification and defensive measures, and a variety of magical defenses that he intended to have Zatanna charge up. The other guy might have been using hyperbole a bit, but he definitely put in defenses.

Some of those might have been removed by the League, because they thought it was excessive and didn't like that many of them could use lethal force, but he still did it.

Proof:

General defenses:
    Zeta tube modifications:

Zeta tube modifications, segment:

18. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I just realized something.

Episode 33, called Doppelgänger, occurred almost exactly 1 year ago in the story, and it was the episode that featured Blue Lantern Paul.

19. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Isn't it too early to think WW's mind controlled or replaced? Counting Zatana as violet we've now got three colors of the emotional spectrum. This could be lantern business.

CTrees likes this.
  20. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

You. Fucking. Retard.

Somethings off, something else is off, they wont specify but want me to follow them without question!

Seems legit.

21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

On the other hand, if she managed to properly fool the security he put in somehow, (possible with a yellow ring maybe), he’d have reason to believe she was who she said she was. It’s the classic problem with trusting exclusively in mechanical security - it gets people overconfident.

22. Mr Zoat

Chekhov's house is full of guns. It's just that he only bothers drawing your attention to the ones he plans on shooting.

As the SI says, he has dealt with Discomported Diana plenty of times before. We notice the 'obvious' threat because it's a story. For him, it's pretty normal.

23. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Considering the name of the episode is Doppelgängered, I assume this isn't a mind controlled Wonder Woman, but rather someone who looks like her or is able to make themselves look like her, and is also able to fool the security measures.

My guess is a Wonder Woman from another universe who works with a Yellow Lantern, possibly Olympia from earth negative 14.

She was friends or at least allied with Power Ring Yellow and Power Ring Blue knows how to produce orichalcum and mithril, the materials required to recreate Wonder Womans Armour.
    It also explains why she is focusing on OL and Zatanna, since they had the most contact with their Counterparts from the other earth.

Injustice Wonder Woman is another possibility but I dont know where she would get the Armor.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

That might have been the most obvious trap ever.

Also, maybe OL could explain his reluctance to alter others to Canis this way:

"You know that there are computer programs that can create art based on samples of art styles, right? Convincing facsimiles?"

"Yes, Illustres"

"Would you consider them equivalent to the original art work?"

"No, they are merely a fake, a cheap...ah"

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well not like it's never happened before.

I am particularly amused by the robot doppelganger from apparently a world of robots.

26. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Except, are they, really? Does "it was hard to make" give objective value to something?

Of course, in this case, the original is destroyed, so there's that...

27. Inbetweenaction

Inbetweenaction Versed in the lewd.

Gaining godlevel powers worrying about his teenage daughter hanging with boys...

Prince Charon likes this.
  28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Yes? As much as something can. Supply and demand. If something's hard to make that'd affect the supply.

Alexandercctv and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Why would the original be destroyed?

And wether or not you and I believe they would be "fake", I think Canis would think so.

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I would argue that depending on the quality of work, the program itself is a type of self-expression, making the result of the program be art due to the program itself “coming from the soul”. The works of art it creates are also works of art, though potentially lesser ones.

The thing that I believe matters in such situations is: how derivative the work is. If the program takes a huge amount of samples and learns to create original works of a style using something like machine learning (this should probably be possible, though difficult with modern tech), it’s creations are definitely works of art, no more derivative than any others made by humans. However, if the computer just photoshops and applies a filter / blues the edges, that is still a piece of art, but as derivative as if a person does it. For example if they take an artistic photograph of a picture, it might not be art. Though then you get into the sort of works that are meaningless due to being a random collage of shapes with no feeling or meaning, and have to wonder whether those are also art. You know, the bad kind of modernism. Creation of those can also easily be learned by a computer, which can even learn to copy emotional meanings coming from random shapes or meshes of point colors and copy the “meanings” of those.

Also, what if Red Tornado were to make a drawing, would that not be a piece of art?

Jormuungaand, Gantradies and Vorian like this.