1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not to mention Earth which pretty much always had slaves, and even though it has 4 Green Lanterns, currently has more slaves than ever before(total population, not percentage).

Simonbob, Ardy and nobodez like this.
  2. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

No version of Paul - and especially not Grayven - answers to the Guardians. And as long as his conquests are either mostly non-violent or all the violence is directed at corrupt governments and criminals they're not going to be inclined to risk their forces trying to stop him.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

"January?"

Grayven can learn.

nobodez likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes?

5. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Guardian enforcement actions are really strange. If they cared about that sort of thing, you think they'd go after Mongol, or like, the regular Grayven. My recollections of the various Lantern-centric comics are outdated and faded by time, but still, seems pretty random, the threats they go after.

6. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

That should be 6th February. That's what the actual chapter says, along with the more recent Earth 12 chapter that happened on the same day.

Come to think of it...if it's early February on Earth 12, that means their timelines aren't perfectly aligned with Earth 50, which is still in late December. Unless the Earth 12 Justice League waited more than a month to talk about their encounter with Orange Lantern.

Mr Zoat, Chaoswind and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Playing Devil's (Guardians') Advocate, maybe they aren't against stellar empires unless they reach (no pun intended) a certain level of... inhumanity? In-sapien-nity? (sounds really Terra-centric, needs a better term) Or maybe they make a calculation based on the evilness of the empire, their level of technology, area in the galaxy, patterns of movement/growth, and that way they determine if they would make an existential threat? They seem to defend more the spirit of the freedom for the species and their rights to do what they can advance enough to do. They stopped reproducing because they wanted to give "the rest of us" a chance and they let each planet/culture do their own thing, even if it's stupid and/or evil to themselves.

Mongul has his empire, and the guy may be a nihilist or something, but he isn't in a permanent campaign of annihilation (I don't think, at least) like that guy that had a piece of the Anti-Monitor's armor; so he may be super bad, but not existential threat level bad, plus he has other civilizations in his way (including the Reach, apparently) so the Guardians may think that it's not worth risking substantial assets to take him out when maybe his son and/or daughter, another warlord or a retaliation strike of one of his enemies can take him out in some years. They're immortal, they have the time.

The Khunds, I think, have an empire, but their technology isn't advanced enough nor are they that evil enough to pose an existential threat to the galaxy; besides, it seems to me they are like the Okaarans or Branx, in the sense of not being all that united.

The Crown Imperium isn't that bad, apparently, even with a caste system that probably treats the most lower castes worse than some slaves, plus their technology isn't all that great either and they also have some obstacles in their way, Vega and their species most of all.

The Thanagarian Empire, to me at least, doesn't seem that bad either, even with a upper echelon that seems corrupt to some degree, being really militaristic to the point some dictators in our planet would be their #1 fans and treating the Lizarkons like third class citizens or something; Nth metal is great, but besides that I wouldn't call their technology that great.

The Dominators are probably really dangerous, really bad and are xenophobic in extreme, to top it off, but they don't really seem to have the motivation to pose an existential threat. Besides that, they seem to be toeing the line with the Guardians, so they may think that they don't have what it takes to fight the Green Lantern Corps.

The Spider Guild seems advanced and dangerous enough, not the top notch technology of others but almost there; they aren't that unified though, each Chapter just looking for themselves unless another gets taken out, so they seem to be more of a recurring problem than a proper existential threat, although I see the potential for it.

I don't know if the Cooperative (was that their name? The society from which Icon comes from?) counts as an Empire, but they seem pacifistic enough, the Alignment is going to get realigned (no pun intended either), the Citadel Empire doesn't exist, I don't know if we are going to see the Gil'Dishpan or even if they count as an Empire, and I can't recall at this time any other Empire in the Galaxy that might warrant the Guardians' attention.

With all of that, one can see why they have only fought (from what we know) just three serious wars: the Reach, Apokolips and the Empire of Tears. One tie, one lose, one win, respectively. They represent an existential threat and are dangerous/advanced enough, be that through technology, magic or both.

8. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Broken link
    Broken link
    Broken link
    Shouldn't this be 'brake'?
    Linked to SV, dunno if you wanna update that for QQ
    Broken link
    Disdain, if that's a british-ism in spelling I've never heard about it before. I could be wrong.
    Broken link
    Do
    Broken link
    Missing quotation mark at the end there

PRETTY sure I didn't include any not-broken links in there but if I did by accident I apologize now

EDIT: Actually, to hijack my own post here. Zoat, I should like to pick your brain a little. Indigo light users borrow other colors only when another ring is nearby, yes? From what I understood from the comics, it's a sort of... faux light. A lantern could recharge off it but it's not like charging from a battery, IIRC. If being able to channel all 7 colors is the first step on a path to becoming a white lantern, does that make indigos more or less likely to begin that journey apropos of other factors, I wonder?

e.g.: Somebody with an indigo ring who isn't compelled to feel compassion because they were capable of it before is studying the uses of other light colors with their ring. Is it possible that person could handle white light at some point of eventual comprehension?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Lord Ernest and infinityDivided like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You mean metaphysical oomph that hasn't really been shown to have any effects outside of a very small radius?

hkim likes this.
  10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

No, he means the kind of raw power that comes from having your body and soul derived from the reproductive capacities of the most powerful individual in the universe.

EDIT: And even beyond that... We literally just saw a synthetic New God be able to reach across the galaxy and even across dimensions with his power. I don't think you have much ground to be able to claim "very small radius" here.

11. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

26th December 2004
    21:23 GMT -6

I ignore the thanagarian refugees shrinking back from me as I scan Kara In-Ze, while she glowers feverishly up at me.

Richard looks at me impassively. "So what's wrong with her?"

I lean forward slightly. "Have we been visiting our hermitage-dwelling foster-brother?"

"Yes. He needs.. to know someone still.. cares."

Richard looks concerned. "Are you saying that whatever the Justice League did to the Lords is infectious?"

"No." I shake my head. "But Kara breathed in a little of what I did to Kal-El to make certain that his powers never came back."

Richard blinks in surprise, while Kara just closes her eyes. I hold out my left hand and generate an image of gold kryptonite's molecular structure.

"When I visited him I introduced a small amount of gold kryptonite dust into his farm."

"I offered to help out."

I nod. "And I imagine that your powers have been waning ever since. Unreliable flight, perhaps? Stuttering heat vision? Disease vulnerability is a slightly surprising-."

"Is it permanent? Can you help her?"

"Sure. No problem. At this point, her natural force field is so weak that it isn't interfering with my rings at all. Then she'll just need some sunlight and she should throw off the rest of the flu herself."

I stand there for a moment, waiting-.

"So are you going to do it, or just stand around all day?"

"I am.. prepared to offer my services as part of a wider cooperation agreement, certainly."

Richard's eyes narrow. "What… Kind of agreement?"

"Stormwatch will cooperate with me until my brother and sister in law are safe. Then, I will peacefully return to my own parallel."

"I don't think they're in any special danger, so sure."

"And Ms In-Ze will take me out to dinner."

"What? / "What?"

"It seems to me that she is the one most likely to be carrying some lingering frustration towards me relating to our previous encounter. I think that getting to know me socially will help to counteract that. And she'll owe me personally for fixing her up."

"You said all you wanted was to make sure that Mister Miracle was alright."

I roll my eyes. "Well, if you want Kara here to have a mystically enforceable unpaid debt to an alien god, by all means-."

"Just.. do it."

I smile. "As you will. This shouldn't hurt."

I reach out with my left hand and remember how much fun I had during our last meetings. Not exactly a deep relationship, but I do genuinely want her healthy again. Orange light pulses out, the kryptonite in her system being reduced to its component atoms. Hm. Extensive organelle damage. It's irregular, she should be able to regain a portion of her exotic abilities almost immediately, but… Undesirable. So I repeat what I did with Kal-El 16 and give her a full restore. And that nasty virus and a few of the side effects

I step back half a pace as she sits up. "How do you feel?"

"Better." I raise my eyebrows and look expectant. "I hope you like takeout. Cheap, quick to eat takeout."

I smile back. "Oh, it's the company more than the food. What's with the new costume?"

"I didn't want to wear Kal's colors anymore."

"But they're not Kal-El's colours. They're the colours-."

"Colors of House El, I know."

She gingerly floats herself off the bed and onto the floor, using her flight to bear her weight until she's certain that her legs can manage it.

"Which means that -however much of an arse he's become- they also represent generations of other people who mostly lived up to their ideals. Like Bur-El, who invented the telescope to better calculate tidal patterns, or Shu-El, who-."

"And Pir-El, who blew up four cities and killed their entire populations in a pointless war, and still got a statue made of him."

Oh she's just a treat.

"So is that House Ze's emblem?"

"No, we're not a noble house. It's…" She looks away. "The logo for my dad's favorite chariot polo team."

"As good a reason as any." I raise my eyebrows. "You know, you could just make it your house emblem. I doubt anyone would complain. Or I can. True, it would be in the Apokoliptian peerage, but-."

"Why are you-?" Her eyes widen and she puts her hands on her hips. "You're annoyed I stopped wearing the costume you made!"

I shrug. "I thought the colours looked better on you. More upbeat. The black's just-."

She blurs forwards and up, floating just in front of me with her head a little above mine. "How I dress is not-" My smile broadens. "-your con-." Her face freezes for a moment. "Are you getting turned on by this?"

I nod my head to the left. "Little bit. You're just so spunky. Hey, do you want to-?"

"Dick." She leans around me. "Why are we still here?"

"Well, Kyle's still tracking down Wonder Woman and finding out what the thanagarians using the base are doing. But if you're feeling better you don't have to stay in the infirmary."

I raise my left hand. "Grayven to Lantern Rayner."

"Green Lantern here. Oh, it's-. What?"

"Are we dropping off the refugees yet?"

"Can you put Nightwing on?"

I shrug and generate a body construct for him to use.

"The thanagarians are mostly the survivors of their attack on Earth, with a few others they've picked up around the place. They aren't all that interested in taking on civilians, and… I'm… Not sure they've got the resources for it, anyway."

"What about the fake distress signal?"

"They thought Hawkgirl betrayed them to Grayven. They wanted to trick her into investigating."

I raise my right hand to my mouth. "She didn't! She was barely alive throughout that whole thing!"

The Rayner construct glances at me while Richard nods. "Did you find Wonder Woman?"

"She's why I had such an easy time getting in. Are we making some sort of deal with the Lords as well?"

"We might have to. And.. this was a humanitarian mission. I don't know about you, but I'd feel bad about discouraging them."

"Yeah, okay. Are we giving them a ride home? The thanagarians blew up their javelin."

I shake my head. "No need. I can open a boom tube."

Kara frowns. "Hold on. If they can't take the refugees, where can we take them? They're not going to get a very friendly welcome on Earth."

Richard shakes his head. "It's our only option right now." He walks over to a wall-mounted intercom and activates it. "Barbara, set a course for Earth. We'll leave once Kyle's back on board."

I smile at Kara as I open a boom-

Boom!

-tube down to the surface.

"Pick me up at seven?"

12. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

What hilarious guy.

Poor Kara. So confusing.

13. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

I think you wanted 'still here' instead.

Also, eww... I watched almost three minutes of Dragon Ball Super. That was more than enough to remind me why I now consider Dragon Ball GT an unrecognized classic of its age.

mauke, Ardy, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  14. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Grayven continually reminds me of the kind of person I'd end up being if I had a power ring.

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

weight

Mr Zoat likes this.
  16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh-ho, someone's not feeling well?

Yes, he didn't tell anyone about that, did he?

Hmm... Concern for a teammate, or something a little more?

"Sure. No problem. At this point, her natural force field is so weak...

Now, now, you've got to make it worth his time.

Ah, Grayven, you magnificent troll!:D

I hope he's using his rings to say that with a straight face... Or is he just giving them a full-on Smug smile?

That's not even a thing! ...Is it?:confused:

Empowering an ally. How very Acquisition of you.

What, a lady can't change outfits without an inquisition?

...using her flight to bear her weight until she's certain that her legs can manage it.

Something of the black sheep of the family, then.

I knew before clicking that was Abridged Alucard.:p

So, she's wearing the Kryptonian equivalent of a team jersey? Ha!

I don't think she likes your fashion sense, Grayven.

Oh, he is loving this.

"Dick." She leans around me. "Why are we still here?"

Wow, has he seriously never used ring-to-ring calls before? Or is it surprise at getting a call from an Orange ring?

Nth metal poisoning's a bitch.

Ah. Batgirl or Oracle mode?

Always has to have the last word, doesn't he?

Ah, Grayven, it's fun to watch you troll people...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  17. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Aren't you the one who said something about Hawkgirl when you attacked the Thanagarians 11 months ago?
    Barbara as in Batgirl?

Wild Transient and Prince Charon like this.
  18. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

Can we PLEASE get an Eros interrupt in the NSFW thread out of this?

19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I'm not sure how a Paul in the Dragonball Universe would fare, yet I'm sure it would end with someone in tears.

Also, petition to rename Grayven as troll-Paul. Traul.

20. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

you know what I'm ok with it, as ships go you could do a lot worse then super girl.

ninguem, alid610, Ngamer11 and 5 others like this.
  21. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I love it when Grayven is in this mode, if I didn't know any better I would ship him with Kara as well. But I think the distance and the work commitments would kill that relationship faster than it being build upon troll-flirting.

I don't think she would be Batgirl in this parallel, people would associate it with Lord Batman and that's bad rep I bet. Maybe she's Oracle without being on a wheelchair?

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    They have a largely hereditary aristocracy, if that's what you mean. There isn't a caste system outside of that.
    I don't know what the canon conditions for Indigos using other colours is, so I can't use it. Mine therefore is something original, though it will be a while before it comes up.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    If you write it, yes. Or pay Cambrian or something. If I were writing an erotic scene between any of the people shown here I wouldn't write it here.

24. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

I don't know why I expected Conqueror's moon to involve War World...

Bramble Thorn and Wild Transient like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, we saw him utterly fail to do that.

Wild Transient likes this.
  26. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Awwwww.

Give you a guess as to which color I align to the most. T: The research I did suggested the necessity of the presence of another ring but some of the comics were kind of ambiguous about that? I remember Indigo-1 channeling fear without Sinestro being around, for instance. It's all rather confusing.

27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Channeling other lights without an appropriate lantern around is apparently an advanced feat.

An indigo tribesman wasn't shown channeling a light independently until Stewart channeled the Black to destroy Mogo when Krona infected the GLC and the Guardians with the Emotional Embodiments.

And if an indigo tribesman can channel the black, they might be able to channel the white too...

Wild Transient likes this.
  28. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

i though Blackest Night: Lantern Corps explained it.palmer thought about other emotions he was feeling and channeled those through his staff

Radiant Knight and Ardy like this.
  29. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

"No, sorry. It's not you; I just think this relationship is moving a little too fast, is all."

30. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I think zoat mentioned that he would probably die