1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Speaking of Zoat being a British writer... Americans don't use "tuition" to describe the process of education. She'd more likely say "two years of study" or "two years of training" (or maybe "two years' education" but that kind of phrasing would seem out of character for Jade in particular).

Cuchulin, DrThoth, Buggy123 and 3 others like this.
  2. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Yeah, tuition tends to be the cost of the education but not the actual education.

It's mainly used with college costs, but is used for private schools.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes, I suppose that without the SI no one will have educated her in the ways of True English.

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  4. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm assuming Nekron won't have influence in the Buffyverse due to multiversal barriers.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Did a sentient undead creature ever canonically put one on?

6. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Didn't Somon Grundy have one? He could have been truly dead at the time though.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Ok, I'm familiar with time trapper paul but who has been grabbed and where? why is buffy here? what have I missed?

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  8. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Considering the trend of different colored lantern Pauls the joke is that the black lantern one wound up in the Buffy-verse.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  9. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

You mean you didn't see the BtVS crossover episodes‽ The nonexistent ones, that is.

10. Mr Zoat

Mentioned here.

11. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Probably should have made an SB account while you where still there so I could have seen it.

12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

False. Most Black Lanterns serve Nekron.

Osiris summoned his lightning to destroy his ring rather than serve Nekron.

Johnny Quick, returned by a black lantern ring, spent his time in father-daughter bonding.

Driq regained his green lantern and betrayed the Black Lantern Corps.

Anti-Monitor served himself even as a Black Lantern, trapped by Nekron, and extremely unhappy about it.

The Limbo Lantern is a Sinestro as a Black/White Lantern, half dead half alive in the Dark Multiverse.

And post flashpoint Hal became a Black Lantern to sic Nekron on the First Lantern.

He was, his soul was in Hell, at least according to the wikis, I don't think I read that one personally.

Ngamer11, Ardy, Buggy123 and 4 others like this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Typical DC, stick the guy whose main power is coming back powerful against whatever killed him in Hell.

I am sure nothing whatever could go wrong with that.

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You're thinking of Doomsday.

Grundy has unconscious energy absorption abilities, which in the comics I'm only aware of him using against Dr Fate and Alan Scott (which suggests it might be an ability to absorb magic specifically), and of course rather famously Amazo in the cartoon.

Grundy though apparently has random incarnations. His strength, intelligence, and morality seems to ebb and flow as different pieces of Cyrus Gold's soul animate him.

Phantom Stranger knew that Blackest Night was coming.

Apparently a real Solomon Grundy Black Lantern would have been a really bad thing.

So Phantom Stranger allowed Cyrus Gold to break his curse by confronting who killed him- Himself.

In that moment, the soul of Cyrus Gold could have accepted forgiveness into his heart and been redeemed.

He chose poorly, and so went to hell while a black lantern ring animated the corpse of Solomon Grundy, but it was just an empty shell like most of the Black Lanterns.

Either way, the curse was gone, the cycle broken.

So that storyline suggests that an undead gaining a black lantern ring, the two animating forces will get on like a house on fire.

15. Threadmarks: Bended (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Bended

23rd February
    23:23 GMT

"…disappointing performance."

Batman looks around the room at the assembled Justice League members, though he can't quite bring himself to give it the usual full-beam glare.

"Hey, it wasn't-." Mr Queen squeezes his eyes shut for a moment, wincing as he does so. His vision still hasn't quite recovered yet. "Did you have to make the nuke that realistic?"

I don't trust myself to answer him out loud, so I settle for nodding. Yes, the hologram was bright but that's all it was. If he wore decent eye protection he wouldn't be having this problem.

"You gotta admit, that was some pretty impressive lateral thinking." Mr O'Brien waves his unnaturally long right forefinger. "I mean, people have told me to go jump in a lake a few times, but walk up to a live nuke? That's a first."

Ms Hol clenches her hands into fists. "I didn't fall for it."

Her husband shakes his head. "You refused to cooperate with him. That is not the same thing."

"Eh." Dmitri doesn't look particularly troubled. He didn't put in a better showing than any of the others, but when you don't do worse than the best in the world that doesn't really matter all that much. "I had thought that the wargame would be different to that. Like a quest? Like Dungeons and Dragons?"

Mr J'onzz bows his head slightly. "It may be that Orange Lantern wished to remind us of our vulnerability to the more subtle forms of manipulation."

Guy actually looks amused by the whole thing. "I reckon I coulda taken the hit."

William… William Harper shakes his head. "We shouldn't have been getting hit in the first place." He looks me in the eyes, disbelief fighting with a grudging respect. "I still can't believe that you killed the entire Justice League by… Asking them."

And then I lose it.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

A few of the more prideful League members look away. A few of the better humoured ones look like they're thinking of joining me.

Diana nods to herself.

"Was that Eris's idea?"

"Hah-! Huh-hah! Ah -hah!- um, she's-. She's been becoming more insecure about our relationship since Christmas. I thought this would pick her up. Um." HAH! "I was -originally- planning to go back over what I was hoping that you'd learn from this session, but-. Really, I think you all know what you shouldn't have done, so, do you want me t-."

Batman does glare at that.

"Yes."

I come to parade rest.

"It occurred to me during planning that since enemies who can shapeshift -martians, durlans, whoever else- are an issue, and mind control is an issue, it might be worth me talking to a League member or two about being my patsies. Since there are any number of ways to suborn individuals it wouldn't be unrealistic… But then it occurred to me… Wouldn't someone with that ability try to get all of you?"

"So I approached you all about being my patsies and -with the exception of Hawkwoman- you all agreed. So, ah, thank you-"

Guy actually does chuckle to himself, then turns it into a cough when John glares at him.

"-for helping me out like that and not talking to each other about it, because if any of you had realised what was going on then it wouldn't have worked. And thank you all for being willing to walk up to a nuke for me, that sort of loyalty is very hard to instil in henchmen and if I ever do go villainous for real you'll all be my first picks."

Billy -who had been taking what was happening in good humour- now looks a little perturbed. "The escape teleporter was fake."

"Yes, otherwise I'd have had to give you all one and that would have ruined the whole thing. But, seriously, while several of you-" I make eye contact with each in turn, even if I had to nudge Alan about it a little. "-have availed yourself of Mister King's services to improve your ability to resist telepathy, there are any number of other ways to bypass agency and the League has no policy of checking for them. A villain probably couldn't do what I did… But I did."

I make eye contact with Batman.

"So do you want to do another one..?"

"Yes."

"Do we want to agree on the number of patsies I have this time?"

Mr Freeman leans forward slightly. "I do not believe that we would fall for such a ploy again."

Should flipping hope not.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this wasn't a joke. I mean, I found it pretty funny… But you need to take note of what happened. In twenty oh five, during a wargame between the Swedish navy and the United States navy, a one hundred million dollar stealth submarine 'sunk' a six point two billion dollar carrier along with all of the planes still on board, bypassing its entire screening fleet to do so. Repeatedly. If any of you particularly want to fight me, us Lanterns have regular practice sessions in the Chihuahuan Desert and I'll be happy to unload on anyone who's feeling lucky. This is about the League's ability to respond to threats which are both powerful and cunning. Don't give me cheap kills."

I smile.

"Unless you're the patsy this time in which case-" I punch the air with my right fist. "-go team!"

Billy raises his right hand.

"Can I vote for no patsies?"

He looks around and finds little support.

"I'll get to work on a new scheme, to be put into action some time next week. You'll have that long to prepare yourselves." I raise my right hand to my forehead. "Good day, sirs."

I

step out

23rd February
    18:28 GMT -5

and reappear on top of Mount Justice. Euanthe doesn't look around from where she's tending some of the plants which are a product of her work with Dr Isley, but some fronds turn towards me and a couple of vines begin snaking my way. Ted was initially stumped by how to get the produce of shampoo fruit to market without using plastic, but once the problem was explained to Euanthe in sufficient detail she was able to create a squeezable gourd that should do the job. It would eventually rot, but not within the period most people would use the shampoo contained within and… Isn't biodegradability the point?

"How's it coming?"

"Both the poison and the antidote are ready as you asked."

"And -just to check- the antidote removes the poison in such a way that the one poisoned survives without lasting damage?"

"Yes."

"Even if they're not a tree?"

"I used Ivy to make sure that I understood what you wanted." Now she turns and glides towards me, plants reaching for her as she passes by them. She lays her hands on my shoulders and leans her face towards mine. "But will you give me what I want?"

I nod, and hold up the seed packet.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Hail Eris!

This is especially funny considering the Season 1 Finale from canon. They didn't learn.

17. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Let me get this straight. He approached every member of the League individually, asking them to be a pretend hostage or henchman in the training exercise, told them all to not tell anyone, and had them all walk into point-blank range of a fake nuke?

That's hilarious.

18. freakytiki34

freakytiki34 Making the rounds.

Yeah, wow that was forever ago in WTR, wasn't it? How did the SI manage to derail that?

19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Oh my god you've outdone yourself here Mr Zoat. I laughed and laughed at this.

But good to see the League handling this reasonably well. They'll all want to do better next week.

Inconsistent capitalisation

So, Paul's giving away his seed. This should be interesting.

20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ha! OL used his hidden superpower for this most cunning of evil plans! The secret weapon no one could forsee! A british guy...ASKING POLITELY!

DIABOLICAL! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Fpkfor, Sojiko, ChestBurster and 59 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

What is he planning on using poison for?

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Aw, the 'OL Vs League' scenario happened off-screen? Judging by the following, it was a curbstomp. Probably wouldn't have been interesting to read...

You wouldn't learn anything if it were just a flashbang. Even one that could affect Superman...

To be honest, how badly would a Nuke affect him anyway, outside of instant disintegration range? We saw in the comics that he could survive being turned into stone and shattered. Nothing short of total atomization would be fatal...

Honestly, that means she's the only one who could be considered to have passed the exercise. Unfortunately, she was on-site with the rest, it appears. So.. partial credit?

Well, gee, maybe you should change your hero name to Captain Obvious, J'onny. :V That was the point, I bet.

Ah, Red Arrow. Good to see you on-screen at last. Still copying Green Arrow?

Honestly, falling to the floor and rolling around would just be rubbing it in at this point.

Ah, a little devotion to his Patron. I hope she's pleased.

Heh. I suppose it needs to be said, if only to make them pay attention.
    Correction: Unncessary word?

You'd think they'd remember the last time it happened... Seriously, even Goldfish have better memories.

To be honest, For some of them, him turning 'evil' would probably not be seen as unexpected.

In other words: 'Don't be so gullible, get some mental defenses set up, and pay attention.' They really need to get standard practices in place for mental control risks.

"We keep doing it until you lose."

Alas, I fear they would. They'll fall back into complacent inattention, and get bitten on the ass again.

And for a smart Lantern, that covers a lot of tactics they'd need to learn. Seriously, if Sinestro ever set his sights on Earth for realsies, he would likely not have much trouble outside of the Greenies and OL.

Ah, so enthusiastic. You're just loving this subplot, aren't you, Mr Zoat?

You assume he'd repeat the same trick twice in a row? How naive, even for a ten-year-old boy.

Likelihood of any of them actually being prepared: low.

Ah, more 'Magic made practical' research? Clever concept. I bet the 'all-natural' crowd would eat it up (hopefully not literally, ew.)

And he's already got plans set up for the next ten training scenarios, hasn't he?

Well, well. I wonder what she's planning on growing?

Oh, this was hilarious. I do hope the League members actually learn from their failure here. I'd hate for his next test to be a total steamroll...:D

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Have any of his friends commented on the implications of what he's doing with Euanthe? I imagine at least KF would give an slightly erotic joke before Artemis dope slaps him. Also, what's Ivy been up to now that she's a law abiding citizen that apparently works for Ted Kord?

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is part of the reason I ended hating Young Justice. The JLA is really incompetent.

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Law of conservation of competence. If the JL is competent then young Justice always has a safety net which they didn't think was enough drama.

The obvious next trick to do is exploit the fear of people being a pasty for the next exercise, but well that seems obvious. I mean Paul will likely do it would be a waste not to, but he is going to pull more than one trick.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  28. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Donna commented about it and how the amazons thought he was into plants and impregnated Euanthe in the temple of Dementer. I doubt she didn't tell the other about it.

29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Law of "I am busy right now".

If the JLA was busy when the kids were in true danger, as they should be because DC is disaster land, then there would be no need to make the JLA so terrible.

Also any time the most powerful Leagues were busy with a crisis it would create tension. Or just have a single leaguer around babysitting that just happens to find their hard counter.

Think the Team is safe because Captain Marvel is babysitting them? Too bad! Doctor Silvana just stole his powers!

Think Batman will save the day? Too bad he didn't bring his anti New God equipment!

My point is, there were dozens of ways to put the team in danger without an incompetent league.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Ardy, Jaron, Gantradies and 12 others like this.
  30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Way to waste an actual chance to get the League to step up their game on being petty Paul.