1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hm... we still haven’t heard anything about techniques exclusive to green lanterns. Maybe the ability to keep going off of willpower without needing battery? Or just some really immovable shield / resistance to power drain?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  3. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

From the FAQ, they suffer from minimal mental alterations in comparison to the other lights. Green doesn't make you crazy. Also, as Guy shows, you can literally weaponize ego.

Gilhelmi, Vorian, Lord Ernest and 8 others like this.
  4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Part of that is that writers have no sense of scale, and the other half is that they don't really think about all the stuff you can actually do with powers. So the hero has to be an idiot and not use basic tactics to keep them from being OP. Seriously, someone with only a 10x increase in speed and reflexes is OP as fuck if they're smart about it. Light-speed is a term writers shouldn't be allowed to use unless they take a half hour to do the research on what it means.
    It has one other advantage in that it can be used to do anything instead of just those things you feel a particular way about.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Ardy, Ngamer11, Simonbob and 5 others like this.
  5. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

HAHAHAHA!! I am dying of laughter here, best line I've seen so far!

Gilhelmi likes this.
  6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

It just makes you always believe you are right by hugely boosting your ego. And that can leaf to stuff like destroying a whole galaxy. And the whole thing with the manhunters.

Vorian and Siiracai The Supernal like this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Manhunters slaughtering a galaxy wasn't a mistake.

It was a sacrifice.

Krona saw the Guardians rejecting emotion with mindless minions who obey every order and saw bad things coming.

So he sabotaged the Manhunters hoping the slaughter would cause the Guardians to abandon the plan to effectively turn themselves into sociopaths.

Instead they just abandoned the Manhunters, so it was only half effective.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Or, alternatively, it allowed Guy to completely no sell OL's orange assimilation. Which, you know, is what I was referencing.

DAT_NOOB and Ardy like this.
  9. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Guy is also know for acting a lot like an asshole, so my point stands.

Yeah, because AI has not failed ever before in DC.

I honesty prefer the guardians fucking up on their own due to their huge Egos make them not check the code as much as they should.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Bended (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

2nd March
    15:17 GMT -5

Brute force and ignorance.

When Paul first called him that, Hal worried about it about as much as Guy did when he asked if all the time him and Paul were spending together meant he was cheering for the Buckeyes now. But when he did think about it, yeah, actually. It bothered him. He'd always used simple, powerful constructs. Always emptied his mind of everything that wasn't that construct to make it as strong as it could be. And then Paul shows up making constructs that are strong and complex. And-.

Goddamn Guy Gardner was managing it. And Martin Jordan didn't raise no quitters.

He was pretty sure that Paul was watching this. Two years ago, if he'd found himself thinking something that extraneous during a fight he'd have crushed it. Now it just flowed, a background consideration that was there but not distracting. He'd thought that m'eelam na'aquall was something for the religious types like Toren who wanted the green light to save their souls as well as their bodies. But it really shook things out.

And made double sure he never wanted to try acid-.

So right now? Keeping up a shield while also having a heads up display over his eyes showing where Barry and Dmitri were wasn't so hard. Stuffing the nozzles the second Barry got clear? Piece of cake-.

Not a Christmas cake.

Noticing that he'd actually had time to do so without Barry hitting them in the side while still laying on the pressure, still shielding himself when some more robots tried shooting him in the back. Still-.

The gunge-sprayer bursts, covering the robot carrying it with quick-hardening sludge.

Two concussive bolts to the heads of the backstabbers, then a construct scalpel slices through the goo and makes sure the robot has an airway. He hadn't lost a perp yet and he wasn't about to just because they were robots.

Now, what happened to B-?

The wall explodes! Barry's already landed on the floor before Hal can really process it, which is about par for the course with speedsters. He calls his constructs in, shield at the ready as a… Tall thin version of Barry walks through the hole.

Evil duplicate? Must be Saturday.

A fire hose construct sprays what's left of the goo in the double's direction and his environmental shield shines as he channels more power into it. Barry can hit hard and fast, but Hal knows his shield can take it for a while.

The double sort of.. twists and.. vanishes. Ah, okay.

"Flash?"

"Mirror Master."

"Didn't look like Mirror Master."

Barry picks himself up, still alert.

"Mirror Master was in the bathroom. Soon as I ran past a mirror, that came out."

Huh.

"Like a robot Mirror Master, or-?"

"Too short and too broad to be Scudder. But his face looked real."

"Good robot real, or-?"

A weird, washed out greenish beam hit him in the chest and knocked him back… Well, a little, as an equally washed out duplicate of him floats through the hole. A washed out midget version of him, who fires washed out midget boxing gloves, forcing him to throw up a shield as Barry speed-grabbed everything in arm's reach and started throwing it at super speed. The evil midget was battered back by Barry's barrage, but still found enough time to prevent any shots going into-.

"The mirror, break-!"

A faded red blur shot out from the bathroom, grabbing projectiles out of the air and hurling them right back! Barry zoomed towards it, and the two of them-.

Two speedsters fighting, he wasn't going to be able to keep up. But breaking a mirror?

He raised his ring to eye level.

He could do that.

The beam punched his mini-me back through the hole, through the wall behind that, through the wall-. Yeah, okay. Bathroom mirrors. Smash smash smash-

The grey blur vanishes and Barry de-blurs, panting slightly.

-and smash a little more, just in case.

"You okay there?"

Barry waves his enquiry off.

"Guess we need to go slow, if he's had time to set more mirrors up."

Barry shakes his head. "Just break them at the edges, that usually does it. Don't hit them dead on, or you'll end up inside them."

Hal nods. "Got it."

"Comrades Lantern and Flash? I have a problem."

Barry vanishes in a blur, and Hal's not far behind. The building map said the server is right around-.

Dmitri knocks on the inside of the mirror covering the server room door, a very faint thud being heard on the real universe side.

"I flew in but I cannot fly out."

"Flash?"

Barry darts around the surrounding area, then slows to a stop and shakes his head.

"He must have shot the mirror again once Rocket Red was through. We won't be able to open it up without his gun."

"Can we get his gun?"

"There might be an old version back in Central City, but unless he stuck around, no."

"Any other way out?"

"He could try flying through the mirror universe, see if he can find another portal."

"He in any danger right now?"

"Not unless someone breaks the mirror."

"I do not want to be a broken mirror."

That.. sucked, but-.

"Sorry Rocket Red, we'll have to come back for you. We need to stop them getting away with the radiation shield."

"Understand. Mission must come first."

Alright, so the labs were that w-.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is that extra line supposed to be there?

Also, poor Dmitri. He's gonna end up like Zod in that superman movie.

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul has a mirror gun on standby in case this happens, right?
    Right?

Also, yay for Hal and Barry prioritising the mission. Professionalism for the win!

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

More growth of capability due to Paul's influence. I like!

to be

knocks him back

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Good to see he can learn, even if only to soothe his wounded pride.

Quite the trip. But if it had the benefit of boosting his focus and output, worth it.

I'm guessing they dodged as he went for it. Good simulation of reflexes.

Also good to see him taking the Rules of Engagement seriously, exercise or not. It's easy to forget he was a military pilot for a while.

"That's what, the third time this year?"

Funky. short-range teleportation as simulated by a mirror portal?

More like Flash in a funhouse mirror. Which explains the GL copy's proportions too.

And that's a question worth asking in this scenario.

I take it Flash hasn't met McCulloch yet? And that sentence looked a little wrong until I re-read it and saw he was asking if it looked like a fancier robot.

Ooh, speedster fight. Try not to get underfoot.

Love that Jordan confidence. No doubt, no fear, just knowing he can.

Good idea. Never know how small a mirror they can spawn from.

Oh-ho, Chekov just perked up...

Because who went flying on without looking?

Well, that's another Leaguer out of the game. At least until they can apprehend Mirror Master.

The joy of villains with oddball tech. Not being able to replicate it or make counter-measures.

And I'm guessing that was one of the items stolen from that police lockup in Central City last chapter.

Assuming he doesn't meet the locals...

Doesn't sound like fun. Probably like being drunk, from the glass of water's perspective.

Sounds callous, but there's nothing to be done now, so the mission does come first. All they can do is hope OL has a way to free him later.

And I expect OL will be able to arrange for McCulloch to free Rocket Red later. Still, that's two down.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I dunno. His neck's pretty well supported.
    Thank you, corrected.

16. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

He has, the new Mirror Master attacked the Flash in episode 50 when the Justice League was separately attacked by a bunch of different villains:

But Paul mentioned earlier in this episode that Mirror Master doesn't have any outstanding warrants, not sure what's up with that.

17. Mr Zoat

He was never identified as Mr McCulloch. Also, I forgot about it.

18. Ardy

Do you have a list of plot threads btw? Cause I reread some earlier bits and some plots, like the key to the vault with all the ancient shizotech, just kind of disappear after a while

19. Mr Zoat

No, and I probably should.

20. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Ah, who's going to be pedantic and bring up obscure forgotten plot points that only came up briefly several years ago? Other than your readers, obviously.

21. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Yeah, this situation has happened several times throughout the fic as Zoat publish chapters, its one of the reasons da wiki was being made.

Otto von Saurion and DrThoth like this.
  22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Why did the time travel police never arrest the time traveling pirates mentioned during April Fools Day? Will they attempt to arrest Lynnes school mates from the future?

23. Mr Zoat

There are no time travel police. The horrible war between time travel enforcement groups from divergent timelines resulted in them all being erased from existence.

24. wizmaster

wizmaster Getting out there.

No, you should be authentic and not have any like the real comic companies. DC never needed to keep track of plot threads or continuity and neither should you.

:p

Simonbob, Vorian, Gelasin and 2 others like this.
  25. Ardy

Exactly! This whole idea of “continuity” and “worlds making sense” have been holding you back from a glorious new career as the guy who fills in speech bubbles between fight scenes!

Simonbob likes this.
  26. Lifelink

Lifelink Every flavor in a poke-cup

The thing I'm most interested in is seeing how the Cult of Kobra tries to rope Paul in after speaking with Lady Eve.

27. Mr Zoat

Did everyone understand this, or did you all just sort of skip over it?

28. Ardy

Yes.

29. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

nope

30. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

I got it.