1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I assumed it was either a crack about college football, or a bizarre gay reference I've never heard of.

2. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Am in the same boat as Maxx.

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I assume Buckeyes means crosses eyes.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Would you care to share with the rest of the class?

5. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I read comics and play games (video, board, card, and table top). So the odds of me caring about sports varies from little to none, unless the local High School team goes to State. Even then more out of civic duty than actually caring about the sport.

I recognize the name as a "sports" team, but I could not tell you which sport. Or even if they are a Pro or College team, or why Guy would be rooting for them after spending time with OL who probably only knows about English sports. I want to say they are one of the Oklahoma college teams, but I am not sure.

6. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I didn’t get Guy’s implication. I did understand how Hal’s dismissive reaction changed over time.

Prince Charon likes this.
  7. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cheering for the Buckeyes means banging Paul.

Jeez, this isn’t complicated

8. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I got curious and looked it up.

Ohio State University, home of the Buckeye's. They have a decent (American) Football team. I thought there was a sports rivalry between Guy's school and them, but was not sure what the joke or reference was because I don't do sports.

Is Buckeyes British slang for homosexual or something?

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I couldn't quite tell if there's a deeper level of innuendo there or if you literally did just mean that Hal considers it about as inconsequential as one's sports affiliation. I had assumed it was the latter.

:trollface:

10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I understood the words, but for the life of me I can't figure out the mental line Guy drew connecting Paul to Ohio.

11. Threadmarks: Bended (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

2nd March
    20:21 GMT

I remember that Mr McCulloch looked at me like I was a complete idiot when I asked if his mirrors could transmit energy. Not at the question itself, which was fairly logical, but from the implication that it was a remotely original idea. Apparently, Mr Scudder once used a couple of burning barrels to make a mirror-based cutting torch. Mr McCulloch never found the technique particularly useful, but considering the endgame we're going for…

"Flash, eliminated."

Mr Allen isn't entirely able to prevent himself making a small gesture of appeal, but appears to accept it a moment later. Somewhere behind me, Wallace punches the table. Quietly, after the glare Batman gave him last time he made a noise.

"Jordan, what happened!?"

"I don't-. Ring?"

"Intense light burst detected. Minimal threat."

His GM device chimes in a moment later.

"Immediately lethal gamma radiation dose released. Unshielded humans suffered extreme damage to soft tissue."

Jordan's eyes widen, then he shoots upwards through the roof and puts a barrier up around the entire building.

Batman gives his head a small shake.

"Jordan, it's too late. Whatever that was, it released gamma rays, not radioactive particulates. There won't be any ongoing effect."

Jordan hesitates for a moment, then nods and removes his construct. "Right. How many people just died?"

"You do not know."

"Scan the area."

Inside, Mr Allen sighs faintly, then turns around and walks slowly towards the nearest exit.

"Hey, Flasher."

Mr Allen stops and looks at one of the broken mirror fragments, Mr McCulloch's face grinning back at him.

"Nay hard feelings, aye?"

"Who are you?"

"Mirror Master."

"That means that either Orange Lantern cracked Samuel Scudder's technology, or that equipment's stolen. And I don’t think he would have kept quiet for this long if he'd managed that."

"Fellah I got it from mighta pockled it. I didnae tekkit meself."

Mr Allen's eyes narrow. "I don't think that's going to cut it. When I'm done here, I'm going to be checking the evidence locker in Central City and seeing how much of his equipment has gotten 'pockled'."

Mr McCulloch waves and vanishes from the shards, now happy in the knowledge that whoever supplied him with his startup equipment is about to receive a Justice League investigation and certainly won't have time to chase him any longer. Because mercenaries don't expect to have the protection of officialdom, while I strongly suspect that whoever backed him does.

"Hey." Mr Allen prods his GM device. "If the villains don't have the anti-radiation shielding yet, how did Mirror Master get close enough to a radiation source to put a mirror down?"

"Would the corpse please vacate the mission area and hold his questions until the end of the exercise?"

"Yeah. Right."

He blurs towards the Seattle zeta tube, then reappears at.. the Central City terminus inside the Flash Museum.

"Would the corpse please also hold off on doing any investigations tangential to the exercise until the end of the exercise?"

"This is serious. If supervillain weapons are going-"

I appear

2nd March
    15:23 GMT -5

just in front of him.

"-miss-." He reorientates on me. "Missing, that's a major security breach. Keeping my town safe is my job, and I was doing it for years before I joined the Justice League." He frowns faintly. "You haven't been-."

"If I have been taking them, then it was with the appropriate permissions, and they will be returned before the end of the day. After that point, any other thefts were nothing to do with me and you may investigate them as you wish."

"I don't actually need your permission to investigate crimes."

"Flash, if anyone was going to do anything major with them, they'd have done it already. And an investigation into longer term activity can wait a few hours. Go and.. spend the day with your wife. Or whatever you would have done if this wasn't happening."

He grimaces, but nods.

"Was I the second one to die?"

"Yes, and-. Oh, there goes Hawkwoman to a rather lucky headshot." I smile at him. "Three League members dead so far."

"How many civilians?"

"Promise you'll take it easy for the rest of the day and not try to communicate with people still 'alive'?" He nods. "Sixty eight civilian deaths, and just under a hundred more injured. Eighty deaths on the villain team, though only three of those were the direct result of League action."

He nods again. "You're not pulling punches, are you?"

"Actually, I probably am. The villain team has an objective which the League are opposing. The villain team isn't specifically trying to kill the League as their primary objective."

"Three's more than most real villains manage."

I stop smiling.

"Four. Excuse me."

2nd March
    20:24 GMT

Looks like Jordan's given Ted the bad news: that he's dead along with a good chunk of his workforce. The villain squad who attacked the place… The ones who were still free when the radiation burst went off got away with their objective, but the knowledge that their boss killed so many of their colleagues will cause a mini-revolt and deny the villain team their services. When put along with the manpower the League has apprehended, they're going to have to either stage a break out or limit their offensive activities for a while.

Now the League knows what they're looking for, there's a chance that they're going to finally be able to go on the offensive. I might mark them down if they get lucky while trying to search everywhere, but it's a viable strategy. Though with Mr Allen dead and the Hawks' ship destroyed they won't be able to search anything like fast enough to stand a realistic chance of finding the villain HQ that way.

Should be interesting.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  12. Mr Zoat

No, but 'playing for the other team' is.

13. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, we use that one in the US too.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  14. david

david Getting sticky.

I reckon it's a fifty-fifty between her being casual about the fact that these things happen, and her being absolutely furious.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Goddamn, they're dropping fast... No pun intended.

Ah, good to see he's actually using his Ring's capabilities more.

Ouch. Major atrocity level. And GL Only survived because of his Environmental Shield.

Still a logical and natural reaction. Now, maybe if he'd had the sense to extend that shield to other people during the fighting. Ah well, Greenies are so limited.

I suppose that's one way to manage meta-knowledge.

Ah, the first face-to-pane meeting between them. This gonna be good.

OL would likely have some of Ted's people investigating the Mirror Realm.

And hopefully find what else got 'pockled' as well.

And before anyone asks: FBI cabal wanting to use him as mercenary muscle.

In other words, shush and play nice.

Now, now, OLO, I'm sure this is important to him...

Natural suspicion, but OL crosses his 'T's when he does that sort of thing.

As long as it doesn't interfere with the exercise, so no superheroing unless it's life-or-death.

Plus Rocket Red in the mirror.

Interesting. I'm guessing that's between the 'virus' and the gamma-pulse?

But further interference will cause them to target the League, I bet.

Oh, dear. Who? Captain Atom?

Wow, Henchmen who aren't fanatically loyal and have a survival instinct. Makes such a nice change.

And the game has gotten real...

Things are beginning to accelerate. How long before one side or the other starts to move in earnest against the other...

Correction:
    "I don't think that's going to cut it. When I'm done here...

Also, I noticed Flash and Jordan were calling Dmitri Red Rocket all last chapter, at least. Was his codename Red Rocket or Rocket Red? Or is that just what the league call him?

16. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Presumably though.

Cuchulin, Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  17. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

I love this arc so much!

18. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

It's a bit obtuse in that case. Sportsball rivalries are serious enough business that I imagine most people would default to that. I imagine it's likely the same with some of the teams where you're at?

19. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Its a good thing Ra's is long gone, because between Clayface and this if he ever caught wind of it would have been nasty.

Build a space laser, virus or nano swarm?

Nah. I'll just build gamma radiation bombs that sterilise entire continents. After sending my shadows out to save the animals. Modern day Noah right here.

20. Gforce1000

Gforce1000 Jibbering, Jabbering

What's going on here? Normally I'd expect it to just be a cliffhanger so we spend all day wondering what went wrong, but we get the next scene still in Paul's viewpoint with no indication of why he's annoyed/concerned by what just happened.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Nabu.
    It's supposed to always be Red Rocket. Where did I get it wrong?
    Thank you, corrected.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Shouldn't it always be Rocket Red?

Ardy, Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  23. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

You used Rocket Red in these cases.

moralrelativity and Ardy like this.
  24. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I think that this is my favorite arc since Paul fused with the snake.

25. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

More like it's a pity he's gone. It would have been funny to see him watching this and bang his head on a desk. "Why didn't I think of that? Stupid-stupid-stupid."

...Now that would make an interesting plot bunny. A Supervillain Consultant. Need help with your Fiendish Master Plan? Call us and one of our professionally trained and certified 9 year olds will happily point out all the stupid flaws in your plan to take over the world.

26. Mr Zoat

Okay, changed my mind back. Rocket Red it is. I thought that Rocket Red didn't make sense in post-Communist Russia, but past-me apparently just went with the comic name.
    Here.

27. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

But if the villains were written even vaguely competently they'd win.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  28. Aelyx

Aelyx It is I, Q, who are you?

Is Paul going to try and sit down with Earth groups to find recruits for the Darkstars? There's probably quite a few people who could go and possibly get Danner enhanced to help fight heavies. I'm not sure how magic would work against the Reach.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Naturally.
    Not his job. Naturally, Director Jeddigar is welcome to send recruiters whenever he wants, but it's a bit of a trek for anyone not the SI.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

An actual immediate lethal dose of Gamma Ray's would expand out for miles and kill tens of thousands.

And that's just for something effective against a normal human, for something immediately lethal against someone with super healing like The Flash you would need a lot higher.

So either OL rigged the bands or he failed to do his research.

Edit: Also there's the whole problem with high energy Gamma Ray's in atmosphere causing giant explosions.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019