1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dasstan

dasstan :)

Yes. Abomination tree is still better than having your insides rearranged by the womb parasite. I have a wife. I have a child. Anyone who says pregnancy is beautiful is engaging in some epic grade justifications.

edit: wait, was 'baby tree' taken as some elaborate penis joke? Cause it wasn't meant to be.

2. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Oh. Fuck.
    Hurray!

Welp, things seem to be going about as well as they could and I'm sure nothing bad will happen to anyone from here on out.

3. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

The mental image of a baby tree is horrific and disturbing on a primal level to me. They have perfectly serviceable cloning tanks with which to make a genetic chimera of the two of them. No need for more bio-horror than is implied by that process.

I have no particular attachment to the "beauty" or lack thereof of pregnancy, I just feel that being monstrous for the hell of it is a bit much.

4. dasstan

But they already have a tree that grows babies. They use it to feed what's her face's shadow. I didn't pull the baby tree idea out of thin air, you know.

Besides, if they use a cloning vat, they can't get full credit for making it themselves.

5. MadGreenSon

Damn you. I had managed to repress that particular atrocity...

Does anyone other than Cauldron know that they do shit like that casually? Goddamn they're lucky the world is dying now...

o_O Why would credit matter? They want a kid? They get a kid. No different from adopting, which is what same-sex couples do in the real world when society allows them to get away with it.

Creating a little chimera of the two of them in a tank is just cutting out the boring adoption process. I figure Amelia could do most of the work herself and just let it grow in the tank.

Of course, the two of them are immature kids with very little experience dealing with shit that isn't blowing things up, twisting arms through the threat of their raw power, enslaving people, or controlling armies of monsters, so it's entirely possible they'd think the idea of Taylor carrying their baby is "romantic" or "a beautiful natural process" or some shit like that and go that route, which Amelia could definitely make happen.

Strangely, I kinda hope that Dragon is completely dead, this world doesn't deserve her. and I say this as someone who is generally a fan of Dragon.

6. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

You think the person that is basically the Superman of Worm should stay dead because the rest of the world is too shitty? :confused:

7. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Dragon is the hero you need, not the one you deserve. So we replaced her with this teapot! Try to be better human beings next time, ya hypocrites! Ta~

Before Amelia or Taylor could properly reboot from what had just happened, Scion put on a fanny pack and power jogged through the air and into the sunset. Then golden death rays rained down and flattened Avalon's Capital.

Path complete.

8. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Anyone else think the first post in this thread is really strange looking? Because first you get that picture, then you get, in big, bright letters 'Darkest Fix Fic'.

9. MadGreenSon

Basically, yes. No matter what Dragon does, these freaks will drag themselves back into muck and horror. She doesn't deserve to see it and they don't deserve her help.

Tenebrous Fantasies and TanaNari like this.
  10. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

It's pretty accurate, though.

Have you seen how cheerful TanaNari is about the whole "darkest fix fic" thing?

Just because it's a love affair between two pod-person replacements for emotionally broken teens mediated by eldritch abominations from the stars doesn't mean it's not true love.

You're just jealous that you don't have a baby tree.

11. Rolo

Rolo Tasty Good

I wish I had a baby tree...

12. GiftofLove

That's why you can't have one.

13. dasstan

You thought it was WAFF. [SOLSBURY HILL plays, cue montage of cutesy scenes.] You thought wrong. [Record scratch. TUBULAR BELLS plays, cue montage of body horror, Scion blowing things up.]
    DARKEST
    [Inception BRAHM]
    FIX
    [BRAHM]
    FIC
    [BRAHM]

Coming this Summer to a Questionable Questing near you.

[subliminal cut of Emma wading through a fetid abandoned ship, digging through baby-bots.]

14. MadGreenSon

I am not against true love between emotionally broken eldritch teenagers, it's their other behaviors that bother me.

I'm a big fan of mental-bond enforced true love though. :p

15. GiftofLove

[​IMG]
    Yes.

16. Mr. Tebbs

Mr. Tebbs Not too sore, are you?

Just to finish em off:
    409: counter offensive starts
    410: a sizable portion of Cauldron's case 53 army and birdcaged form a deserter's army and attack Cauldron (case 53s love avalon too much to attack them, while the birdcaged do blame avalon for not pressing for their release, they also just wanna burn something)
    411: the tinkers start gathering to build the fuck-off cannon and the deserters start running riot thru cauldron...
    412: attracting the attention of Zion, who follows after the deserters and see's eden's corpse. at which point he really loses it, bringing us to 413

17. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 409- Ayane
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 409- Ayane

<Dragon has been disabled. Scion hit all servers and backups simultaneously.> Khepri stated mechanically through our systems. A human who sounds more like a machine than the machine did. <Defiant and Hecate are already on it. Commanding the Dragon's Teeth to regroup at waypoint Alpha. You will regroup with the other defenders to prepare for a counteroffensive.>

I had no idea where 'waypoint Alpha' was, but my armor highlighted an automatic shunt option to go there. They really put effort into this tech. I simply accepted the offer and steeled myself against the vertigo of the transition drive.

The building I appeared next to had clearly been damaged recently. There was Yggdrasil mending its side from... whatever it was that left the massive crater in the side of the mountain. Yggdrasil was visibly flowing into the hole, healing the hole created in its seal around the planet, whichever of their planets this was. Alerts flashed in my suit, warning me of dangerous levels of radioactive dust in the atmosphere. Was this place hit by a nuke? No, that's unlikely. Nukes don't leave impact craters like this. Must be some kind of Tinker weaponry.

The Dragon's Teeth ships began appearing around me, most of them lowering to the ground. Some didn't have the resources left, they crashed instead. Their crews climbing out of the wrecked ships, either to inspect the damage or simply admit their defeat.

I landed as well, to recharge my armor and wait for instructions. The suit blinked its approval as it drank from the biomass below us, mending damage that had come from the tests I put it through.

Avalon's bug monsters started manifesting around us by the hundreds. I tapped into light amounts of Victoria's power, scanning the armies that were gathering themselves at this point. Their weaknesses, how to destroy it. How Scion might destroy them.

The Yangban had gotten here before me. I already had access to the best of their powers already. Specifically the one that amplifies the power of others. With that, and my own abilities, and this armor. I was functionally a one woman Yangban army already. They named it Legion, and inside it that's what I am.

I turned my attention to what was left of Dragon's forces. Without her to spearhead the operation, there wasn't much they could do in this battle. Still, they were extremely well trained soldiers with incredibly high tech devices. They would need to be the ones to win this war, if indeed it could be won, because no parahuman would be able to. They represented the hope of a humanity not manipulated by an alien monster.

As I analyzed those three and decided that no, unless Scion was vastly overestimated, they would not be enough, the fourth army arrived.

The Protectorate and numerous other parahuman teams were finally arriving. The monster capes as well. A great many wearing Pantheon's generic armor suits. I was proud to see my own nation on the field. They took places between the divisions of Yangban, the shared power enhancing field bolstering everyone beyond where they normally had any right to be. I joined with them, distributing my own, stolen, power boosting field amongst their shared, creating a chain reaction in a chain reaction. It would hold even after we split apart to do our own things, if only temporarily. Every little bit extra could be the bit that saved the world.

Chevalier's voice transmitted across all our armors, mine translated his speech automatically. <I will not lie to you. Today we fight the greatest threat the world has ever known. Greater than the Endbringers have ever been. You know the predictions, that we face the end of the world. That's not entirely true. We face the end of every world. Those we've built our homes in, those we've extended offers of brotherhood to, and countless billions more that will never be discovered in our lifetimes. The civilians, and those capes not brave enough to put their lives on the line, believe they can run, hide, ride out the storm. That, too, is a lie. If we fail, there will be nowhere left to run to.>

Well, that's a cheerful call to victorious battle, if I ever heard one. Guess he's going the Sun Tzu route. The man who fights hardest is the one backed into a corner. Or something along those lines, I never was much for ancient Chinese history.

<I say this to you, because you deserve to know. Whether you come here to fight for your loved ones, for yourselves, or simply because the alternative is to wait for oblivion, what matters is that you have stepped up in this time of greatest need. For this moment, perhaps the first in human history, the world is united. We stand here alongside our friends, our enemies, even the Endbringers themselves, ready to fight for everyone's wellbeing. I want you to look at each other, and this moment. And know that if Scion wins, there will be no one left to remember the significance of this moment.>

There weren't any cheers, not at the end of that speech. But the contemplation, the nods of understanding. It was a quiet form of brotherhood, but it was a brotherhood. If we gave any less than our everything, we'd be failing everyone. I took a slow breath. "Restriction unlock, powerstim authorized for use." The suit lit up a confirmation. I wouldn't use it yet, not until the battle began, but the drug was ready for me when I needed it.

<Everyone who's coming, identify yourselves by taking flight. We need that for the teleporter to track your positions.>

A necessary sorting process for me. This power I was about to use didn't seem to have an upper limit of mass, range, or difficulties in finding where I wanted to teleport to, but I at least needed to know who I was or was not supposed to be moving. I took a slow breath as the electrifying power of Glaistig Uaine washed through my body. What desires I had for those around me lessened as my powers amplified themselves. "The Charioteer, the Ferryman, the Psychopomp, the Conservator."

The ghosts appeared around me, amplified by the aura. Around me, hundreds of others took to the sky. Khepri's monsters remained grounded, but I knew they were meant to come with us. The Dragon's Teeth rose as well. Some of the ships were damaged, missing chunks of their hulls. I could only imagine what it felt like to their crews, being exposed to a raw shunt field like that, but if they wanted to die in honorable combat, I would not be the one to refuse them. I wrapped myself in the recursive timeloop of the Conservator, having him control my armor so it didn't run out of raw material. Without him, I couldn't do this for more than a minute. With him, I could do it as long as I needed.

In an eyeblink, we were faced with Scion again. He was in pitched battle with three of the Endbringers, with Eidolon and Glaistig Uaine running backup. That's where I belong, fighting alongside the most powerful human beings in the world. I flew forward to join the battle.

The wolf-Endbringer disappeared, but with Victoria and the Psychopomp's powers to guide me, I could see the path it took as it carved deep wounds into Scion. It reminded me a great deal of Black Kaze's power. I dropped the Ferryman's power, to conserve my strength. The Psychopomp teleported near Scion, hitting him with the full brunt of the pain inflicting power, bolstered by my augmentation. Scion staggered, then lashed out. The Psychopomp evaded, a combination of danger sense and teleportation, and hit Scion again.

While he was distracted, a morbidly obese silver Endbringer opened her mouth and a good chunk of Scion's body was reduced to dust. Another semi-female cybernetic Endbringer covered in dragonfly wings and mechanical parts fired a lightning based weapon that caused Scion's head to explode. An eyeblink later, he looked flawless and unharmed yet again. Psychopomp appeared to be having more effect. Why would Scion allow himself to do experience pain? Seems like an intentional design flaw.

I tapped into other power supplies, sending a stream of energy to join the rest of the firepower being shot at Scion. Turned out he was already immune to that attack, so I changed tactics. Ghostly duplicates of myself manifested nearby. Ten of them, each birthing a new layer of power enhancement aura. Moments later there were fifteen of them. Eighteen. Twenty. That was the limit to what I could achieve. In total effectively doubling all of my powers. I pushed as much of duplicated power into Psychopomp as I could, and briefly tapped Janus to teleport next to the Fairy Queen, herself.

She recognized my plan for what it was, immediately. One of her current ghosts, the Astrologer, vanished. In its place, a second iteration of the Psychopomp, inflicting the same agony attack upon Scion. Either alone should would have killed any ordinary person through heart failure. Together, amplified as they were, it distracted Scion enough for the others to really tear into him. A series of missiles came in, courtesy of machine covered Endbringer, splintering Scion's body to pieces that were rapidly consumed by her obese sister.

We're hurting him. We're legitimately hurting him.

"Shunt!" I screamed, vanishing to the other side, along with everyone who reacted in time. The viewer tech went blank, and when it restarted everyone not fast enough to make it across was dead. Scion appeared in our midsts immediately, firing a burst of energy at the ground. The attack itself didn't do much, but the cloud of blinding dust left most of us unable to see. I dived back as Scion targeted me. All my ghost duplicates dived in front of me, shields going up to absorb the damage they could. One after another they were annihilated by the golden energy that kept chasing me as I tried to evade. Then time halted around me.

The beam, only fifteen feet away, was frozen in place. No, not quite frozen, crawling along slowly. I was protected by a pillar of light, somehow. I took advantage of the respite to fly into the air, above the beam. I closed my eyes. "Release powerstim." With a single breath, my exhaustion faded, and I pulled together my forces yet again. Two subjective minutes that couldn't possibly have equalled a full second outside, the light pillar power vanished, and I was restored to normal time. The energy beam curved in the air and returned to chasing me. This time, I was ready for it.

My ghosts lined up, sticking their hands in the way of the beam. The power burned up to their arms, but it gave me the information I needed. I teleported back, away from the beam, and it continued chasing me. Another teleport, and a third. I teleported a few meters in front of Scion. His own energy ray struck him from behind, burning away another massive chunk of his body. It took several seconds for him to fully regenerate. I hoped that meant it did a lot more damage than it looked like, visually. Those energy attacks could hurt things that weren't actually there, like the summons I was using. Maybe Scion didn't bother to defend against powers only he could use.

Scion lashed out, a thousand streaming beams of energy firing in every possible direction, too many to count, let alone evade. Like trying to dodge all the individual raindrops in the middle of a hurricane. Chunks were cut out of my armor, burned away from my flesh. Time reversed for me, and I restored to physical health only to be carved open again and again and again. Pieces ripped from my flesh, returned as if nothing happened, and then ripped free again.

Around me, those far enough away to shunt in time did so, and those too close to react either died, or were made of sterner stuff than most. I focused on them so I didn't have to think about the pain I was going through as I suffered being destroyed and restored over and over again. How easy it would be to instruct the Conservator to retract his power, to allow myself to actually die. Khepri's monsters couldn't get close enough to help, no one could.

He didn't seem like he would ever stop.

A hulking silver brute broke through the haze of laser light where even Endbringers feared to tread, digging into Scion's flesh with claws of silver. His wings were wreathed in fires hot enough to burn even Scion. Scion struck back with equal fury, ripping off the dragon-man's arm. I focused, though the haze of pain, sending my spirits to just barely be in range of the silver dragon. He roared in primal fury as he grew even larger, his limb regenerating in mere moments.

The wings sprouted scythe like talons that impaled Scion. Scion retaliating by punching a hand into the dragon's chest and raking his arm through his torso, spilling gallons of viscera and liquid fire. But it was enough to distract Scion from continuing the lasers that had killed me countless times already. I wasn't sure how I survived the lack of pain.

I tapped Victoria's power, asking how to fight the Dragon. Calming him or making him tire, that was the key. Powers fueled by anger and the difficulty of battle? Well, it doesn't get much more difficult. And if he needs to be pissed to fight, I can do that. The Psychopomp moved in as close as was possible, hitting the dragon with its rage-induction-power. While my duplicates radiated power augmenting to both the dragon and the Psychopomp.

We were forced back as the flames kicked up into an inferno hot enough that it burned me from over a hundred meters away. Hot enough that even my summons were in danger of being destroyed.

The pair fought on, seen only by Victoria's life sense. It didn't work on Scion, but I could make assumptions based upon the flesh being torn out of the dragon, that the fight continued no less brutally than before. They spiraled to the ground, which started to melt before the pair even collided with the earth. But I already knew the dragon was losing. Scion had adapted, he didn't feel the heat and he was probably not being harmed by the physical attacks either. The dragon was another story, his rage continuing but his power diminishing. He would not survive this encounter. Another spirit for Glaistig Uaine, and by extension myself, to claim.

I ran through the list of other powers I was able to access, and found the pair needed to save him. The Charioteer's summon wrapped her arms around me, granting me invulnerability and a field that would annihilate anything I wanted. The Psychopomp reshaped matter from one of the destroyed Dragon armors, handing me a massive hammer of Tinkertech materials. And, last, the blood of one of the most powerful brutes in the world that could actually work with my powers, a birdcage resident known as Gavel, enhanced my strength even further.

I dived into the inferno, tracking where Scion should be by simple virtue of being the only place that wasn't the dragon and wasn't plasma or molten earth. Even with both Gavel and the Charioteer empowering me and shielding my armor, I felt the burning heat. Scion was slammed sideways, at speeds several times the speed of sound.

I gripped the dragon, and felt my hand burn as I pulled him out of the liquid fire he had created, and threw him clear. I went up moments later. The dragon man's flames dimmed quickly, and he started to return to humanoid form. He was unconscious moments after hitting the ground. I didn't know his name, I couldn't know how much good he did for us, but he saved my life and I saved his. One small victory, amongst all the dead.

===============

A/N- Three chapters left.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  18. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Loving this fight. There's lots of action, and the powers are pretty creative. Scion is just as unstoppable and adaptive as ever and all the preparations made seem to just barely keep things together.

I think that it could use some more investigation of the characters, though. The canon fight seemed bleak and hopeless not just because Scion was thrashing them, but because he was laughing and playing while he did it. Showing the world that all their efforts were just a game. I also think that the casualties are being overlooked. Some aftermath shots would go a long way towards making this hit the feels.

19. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

Team Four Star reference spotted.

Okay, I recognize Psychopomp as Butcher, Charioteer as Siberian, and Conservator as Cody/Perdition/Yangban 36. Earlier, in Ciara's interlude, the Royal Assassin was Jack Slash, the Serpent is Contessa, Negotiator is Tattletale/Minerva/Crow, Queen Administrator is Skitter/Khepri, Royal Artisan is Panacea/Gaea.

The Grand Archivist I'm assuming is Dragon, although I suppose it could be Accord (those plans come from, and are recorded, somewhere, yeah? Plus the fixation on things in their proper place); the Astrologer I recognize from the canon debate on what to do about Khonsu, though I'm not sure whether that's Sifara (the one who locks things in place relative to each other), or another cape, possibly the one that dropped an asteroid on someone. The Ferryman I'm not sure on; possibly Janus, although given that his name was used later in the interlude makes me think it might be a different cape.

Any WoG as to which is which?

20. GiftofLove

How can a Japanese cape not know Lung? Isn't he big shit?

-
    Also, neat scene. She should get up next to Eidolon with that power enhancement though. Or does it not stack with GU?

21. Daunmi

Maybe she should pose that question to Lisa or someone? Seems kind of important to the whole 'work out ways to fuck over Scion' deal.

I was wondering that too.

22. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

I heard a rumor he was at Kyushu that one time.

Nexidava, Argentorum, Divabot and 7 others like this.
  23. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Neat fight so far. Much more organized than the shameful brawl that happened in canon.

Mildly surprised nobody made clones of Doormaker and Clairvoyant and fed them to GU, else she could pull a few of canon!Khepri's tricks. Not all her tricks, of course, but a few.

It's a little odd that Akibanana talks in terms of GU's faerie names, since her perception was previously warped towards being very flesh-oriented rather than "spirit"-oriented. Sure, the attraction was rooted in the shard's power, but to her it was always expressed as a carnal desire.

24. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

We'll see more of that in the next chapter. It's the Taylor chapter. So I can work in more of that info.

But keep THIS in mind.

That's what happens when you have years of prep time under a leader that would rather take an army to war than a bunch of rabble.

The only people who aren't prepared to fight for real are either Birdcage or the lower level capes.

Different time manipulating bullshit cape. One that doesn't erase the memories during time jumps and doesn't turn off after a single instance of use.

There's a clue in that. Think about it a minute.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  25. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

I'd kind of assumed Zach, but it doesn't really matter much to me whose power it was once someone like Ayane or Ciara has it.

26. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

Yeah, he's going full LFG Richard on that one. True to form, he is even a verified Dick (and Dick is a short for Richard).
    So, time manipulation cape? I'd want to say either Alabaster or Grey Boy. The latter, probably, Alabaster has too long of an interval between restorations.

Akaihana uses GU's names for her powers because she is using GU's powers and therefore sees them as GU sees them. It's not that she's consciously choosing to name them such. It's because they feel like Conservator, Ferryman, Psychopomp. They communicate their abilities to her not in terms of cape names but in terms of themes/purposes.

EDIT: Zach kinda has a different effect. He's respawning rather than restoring, and he's dusting pretty heavily. You'd think dust would have been mentioned.

27. dasstan

Dragon has been disabled? Dragon was disabled?
    Definitely Grey Boy. The power only manifested after she tapped into GU's power. Also, this confirms that the ghosts are both pooled, and able to be used simultaneously. It also gives her access to Eden shards.
    Mimicking the powers of a third trigger inflicts the shard based neuroses?
    edit:
    The Psychopomp is interesting. Did they manage to reap a Taylor, or was it one of the other Butchers? And what happens if someone accidentally destroys the Psychopomp's avatar? Does the Butcher come back into play, devoid of personality?

28. Daunmi

Random guess: Epoch?

Nexidava likes this.
  29. MadGreenSon

This is from the POV of a phantom made by GU because the original has been dead all along and the phantom was planted by Cauldron and GU to get big power inside Pantheon?

30. Swingline#57

Swingline#57 Know what you're doing yet?

Aren't the phantoms noticeably vague in appearance, ghost-like? I don't think this is viable.