1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MerelysSoul

MerelysSoul Warning: Tends to irreverent in most situations.

Ddmkm122, Enohthree, Jiven and 3 others like this.
  2. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Huh, well that sucks.

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  3. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Yeah, whatever goodwill I just had for the political establishment just went down in fucking flames. Let them all rot, I say.

4. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

That is, simply put, one of the best explanations I've seen so far. It leaves out some critical information, but said information is stuff we don't have clear answers for yet, not to mention that much of it is arguably outside the scope of the video anyway.

5. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Wow, Mexico is fucked. Well, more than usual that is as they're not taking any measures against CORVID like at all. They just had a big 110,000+ people concert in the capital when there were already confirmed cases there.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...hteningly-unprepared-for-the-coronavirus.html

Also those hoarding TP may have the last laugh after all? Turns out that "Diarrhea and other digestive symptoms are the main complaint in nearly half of coronavirus patients". Which is honestly both pretty awful and makes me want to chuckle at the same time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-digestive-symptoms-diarrhea-almost-half-of-patients/#

6. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

The coronavirus has definitely revealed that minimum-wage service workers are absolutely instrumental for society to function… all the fancy business meetings can be cancelled, the NBA can be cancelled, public schools and colleges can be cancelled, government meetings can be cancelled, but the checkout line at the grocery store can’t be cancelled. Sadly society sucks and has a bad memory so it won't lead to increased wages or respect for us grunts in retail.

7. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

This is, well, decent... but missing some important on-the-ground info.

Notably, that bit where you say that N95 masks are inadequate?

Yeah, maybe, but even those are in short supply. Health workers are having to make do with even less. Some are going so far as to make makeshift face-shields in the (possibly futile) hope that they'll help.

I'd say more, but, well, Rule 8.

That said, the probable consequences of this are fucking depressing.

Also, the consequences of the lack of ventilators and ventilator masks are following a similar pattern. We just don't have enough of either.

Again, this is fucking depressing stuff.

Let me tell you a bit of a personal story. I never met my maternal grandfather. He died of heart disease before I was born. He also knew it was likely to happen.

Mom hasn't told me a lot of details, and anyone familiar with my relationship with her will have a good idea as to why I'm not asking for more. Besides, she probably doesn't know. It doesn't matter. I'm going to fill in some of those gaps with educated speculation so you can see my point.

When my grandfather was a kid, he came down with something. Mom never told me what. He suffered damage to his heart as a result.

Given his age, and the illnesses going around at the time, the most likely candidates for this are all respiratory in nature. NONE are as fucking nasty as COVID-19. If this was the case, the most likely route to heart damage would be hypoxia -- although sepsis is also a possible route.

COVID-19 can cause both.

He survived whatever the illness was, but, as noted, suffered damage to his heart. He had to carefully watch his diet for the rest of his life, and was never able to be terribly physically active. Most "outdoor" jobs would have been beyond him.

He went on to be a successful defense attorney despite this, but things got worse as he got older. Around when Mom was in college, his heart finally gave out on him. His wife -- my maternal grandmother -- never got over the loss.

Now imagine this sort of shit, spread all over the population. Imagine one out of five people dealing with that sort of thing.

Realistic? Maybe. Putting people on ventilators when they need them can help a good bit. But, going by the CDC, roughly 12% of cases so far have required hospitalization. In the 20-44 year age range, that's an estimate of 14.3% to 20.8%, with the range being due to incomplete data. The numbers are higher for older groups.

If the hospitals get overloaded, there won't be beds for those people. That means that they won't get needed treatment -- and even if they do survive, there's a good chance they'll wind up like my grandfather... and no, heart damage isn't the only possible consequence (lung damage is more likely, and there have been reports of brain damage). We'll also see the fatality numbers go up.

The reports out of Italy are fucking depressing, and could easily be duplicated here.

Oh, and Train Dodger? The virology and cell biology texts aren't likely to help you much at this point... depending on just what you're looking into or want to learn. Internal medicine and/or epidemiology may be more your speed... although, again, it depends.

Edit: As an addendum, I forgot to look at some other data when writing this. The British Medical Journal's best practice page on COVID-19 estimates cardiac injury in 7-13% of patients. Of course, liver injury is estimated at 14-53%. So yeay?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  8. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Then, and from where I live, this will eventually kill me and my family, either by the virus itself or because of starvation at some point since we can't survive being quarantined for months, in a country where incomes were scarce to begin with, public services like water and electricity have long been highly flawed and prone to go off at the drop of a hat, telework isn't an option and you must earn a living in a regular basis if you want to keep eating at all.

It's only a matter of when, and all ways are horrible ways to go.

I see.

I fucking can't cope with this. I can't.

9. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

So if I understand this right...
    Only NEETs survive the yeets.

10. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

No, NEETs will also die as soon as the society runs out of resources, since they aren't qualified to rebuild civilization from pretty much the ground up.

11. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

While I think some of the panic is overblown, there is also a serious problem here in the US with downplaying how much of a threat it is. Calling it "just the flu" is the equivalent of being that one dumbass in a zombie horror flick who gets bit then hides it from the rest of the group.

12. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

I have to say its quite nice to have everyone apologizing to me for not listening to me when I warned them and calling me crazy for stocking up on supplies.

Of course it would be nicer if my mother didn't most likely have it and wasn't coughing around me. She can't get tested because she doesn't have shortness of breath nor did she travel even though there's already over two dozen cases in the area where I live with several of those people not knowing how they were exposed.

13. OverReactionGuy

If you traveled or not doesn't matter at this point, the virus is here. Especially near air ports.

-edit-

It's also very hard to find toilet paper where I live so even if I wanted to stock up on it, people already got to it first.

14. MasterOfDragonsGod

MasterOfDragonsGod Connoisseur.

Just hop in the shower after you shit it works fine.

15. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

People managed just fine without toilet paper for a very long time.

For the most part, they used washable hand towels (which are better than toilet paper anyway, especially if you're environmentally conscious), but your way works as well.

16. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

But make sure to clean the shower afterwards so you don't get staph or something.

17. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Maybe bidets will start to finally be a thing in the US.

18. MerelysSoul

MerelysSoul Warning: Tends to irreverent in most situations.

Thanks. Been looking up stuff for this so I have a better understanding of the situation bother currently and in the future. I use Kurzgesagt for science stuff usually but this is important.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. Athlumney

Athlumney Versed in the lewd.

Having trouble getting our product out because all the trucks are booked.
    We have to lock up our fucking dust masks at work up now, only one box is allowed out of the supply room at a time, because some chuckle fucks on the other side(two separate buildings) were stealing a bunch from their own supply rooms to sell online. Can only get the masks from Africa now,(China's not exporting anymore) our country is getting 2% of their production, and our work is guaranteed to get a certain amount(for being a staple producer). Other things going missing include hand sanitiser, anti-bacterial hand soap, and toilet paper.
    Seriously I'm nor surprised people are stealing stuff at work, it always happens like how someone stole all four of our industrial evaporative coolers.

20. eager slacker

eager slacker Versed in the lewd.

As bad as first world countries have it I strongly suspect that third world countries will have it far worse due to large supply chain issues and transportation that are popping up all over the place. I am of the belief that due to the current business decision of having everything being produced, made, and shipped from other countries rather than at home, a good number of populations will be in trouble when food and medication doesn't meet demand. I'm kind of a pessimist but in my opinion while the disease itself will not meet apocalyptic numbers I think that ratio wise to the world population then and now this whole event will kill more than the Spanish Flu.

I am not certain how helpful it may be for some people but I would strongly suggest learning some undervalued skills that could mean the difference between being another desperate person and someone valued in the community for a service. Some examples being knowing how to repair shoes, at home dentistry, stitching wounds, etc. I know Nike is shutting down their stores where I live and should lock downs and the epidemic go on, for say half a year, shoe repair would suddenly become a very useful trade skill for supplies.

21. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Venezuela is probably utterly fucked and this pandemic might finally be execution shot. Iran is doing pretty badly too, I hear. It seems that a lot of people ignored advisement to stay home and instead went out to visit family and relatives on a major holiday.

22. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

I'd say the Italian(?) medical ward video was better done.

Ddmkm122, TanaNari and MerelysSoul like this.
  23. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Scary shit, can not say how accurate the numbers are... but just... -_-

https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

24. henkalv

henkalv Know what you're doing yet?

Do the global deaths calculated in that study take into account the lack of healthcare resources in poorer countries? While some places might be paradoxically spared through not being very interconnected I imagine that a lot of people are going to die due to not having access to hospitals or due to quarantine measures being impossible to implement.

The thought that we will need cyclical periods of quarantine until a vaccine is found in order to be safe paints the partial lifting of the quarantine in Hubei in a depressing light.

For richer countries there is also the homeless population to consider. They will probably be pretty hard hit as they often have the least access to healthcare and they also often have health problems already that an infection could worsen. If they aren't taken care of they could provide a population for the virus to circulate in while the rest of us get to hide at home.

I don't have any hard data on any of this, but it is the stuff that worries me.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  25. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

They're basing it on the US for the death rates. And extrapolating the world using the US as the 'baseline'.

26. Felius

Felius Experienced.

Did they also model the apparent effectiveness of some anti-malarial drugs in treating Covid? That is, if there's medication that can at least attenuate the disease enough that it stops so many people needing ventilators? Because if so flattening the curve at least long enough so that production of the drug can be ramped up should also massively reduce deaths.

MerelysSoul and Ddmkm122 like this.
  27. henkalv

henkalv Know what you're doing yet?

I don't think it will be all that accurate globally then. In a lot of places being put on a respirator just isn't an option, and if that isn't available then ARDS will be a death sentence.

MerelysSoul, Ddmkm122 and TanaNari like this.
  28. Athlumney

Athlumney Versed in the lewd.

It's amazing to look at the some the results this has had on the job market, the other day Coles revealed that the average number of daily job applications went from 800 to 37,000. The friend of a guy at work who got the sack has also volunteered for a coronavirus treatment trial test, paid 6k to go to Queensland, be infected, and then tested on.

29. OverReactionGuy

Well, at least there's many clinical trials going on at once for possible cures or things that would help the body fight it off.

30. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

The first cases in Madagascar are coming in. They failed to close the seaports in time. The disease is in Madagascar. Humanity is doomed. There will be no survivors.

zup, FeebleEcho, me-meboi and 11 others like this.