1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

My money is still on TP betraying all of them, or him being manipulated by someone else to do his bidding.

Uyurgezn likes this.
  2. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

That one isn't a real thing.

At this point I think this should be clarified in the faq...

Hey people what ring color does the Paul in the Buffy series have? It was a black ring?

Prince Charon, Ardy and Darko like this.
  3. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

And in this case, the dog/dogs owner has a bizarre obsession with flinging it around wildly at as many passers by as they can,Despite repeated complaints/legal threats/attempts at GBH in retaliation.
    >..<

... I think the shows very existence is our
    /the reader’s personal version of the endless deluge of people making dresdin files references to “mantling” despite zoat’s increasing frustration/irritation, at this point...0

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Emyrthil likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

As the name implies, the FAQ is for questions which are asked frequently, not for questions which come up once a year.
    Yes, black, though it's more an unlife support system than a power ring.

5. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

... I was gonna make a snappy comment, but if it kills/sterilised microorganisms ala rightness wholly assures,the term actually makes a lot of sense for a user who’s technically/literally undead...

6. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Wonder how OL will react to Raul. On the one hand, mr universal uplift seeing a glorified bounty hunter. On the other hand, doing reasonably well given what he has to work with. Red Rings suck.

Ngamer11, Istaran, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon already saw Raul on that first April Fools episode.

He told a member of the team, Tula or Donna, that he saw him and that he was killing people that made the world worse.

He also said that when he was becoming enlightened he also considered doing those tings.
    Literary going behind people and shooting them in the head and then crossing their names off a list.

Zoat what has Black Lantern Paul been up to, helping the Scoobies with their save the world thing, killing other monsters, joining that government group, trying to get vampires and demons to adopt more sensible means of survival etc.?

Ngamer11, DAT_NOOB, Chaoswind and 3 others like this.
  8. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

It had to be incredibly nerfed because a sane, competent Black Lantern with decent charge would curbstomp BTVS. And DC. Bringing him into this mess would probably not be a great idea, as:

1. He'd need a recharge to be useful, but not a full one. A full charge is apparently Bad End terrority.

2. Bringing him into a DC universe could potentially allow Nekron to seize control over him, and that could be anywhere from 'just' your standard, not-very-bright Black Lantern, to a Black Lantern Paul who has all of his critical thinking skills turned to killing everyone as efficiently as possible.

3. Good guy or not, partial recharge or not, you're bringing a Black Lantern to a buffet and putting him on the honor system. You better hope the Time Trapper can handle a Black Lantern, because the Lanterns can't really do anything against him but run.

Ngamer11, Vorian, Navi-Hank and 3 others like this.
  9. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Hold up!

...There was a Buffy!Paul with a Black Lantern Ring?

When was this?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't think there was ever a chapter about it, but Zoat mentioned some tidbits about it a few times.

It was mostly on SV I think.

11. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Between his having no way to recharge currently, not having access to anything in his subspace pocket, including his power armour, and just generally not being as proficient with a violet ring than an orange one he is a the very least extraordinarily weakened

Jaron, Cuchulin, Agent Orange and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Here.

13. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

A wildly different statement from "no real combat ability".

Istaran and Lupercal like this.
  14. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

When compared to someone like Krona a Paul that's at less than half strength might as well be a mosquito

WereDragon, Darko and infinityDivided like this.
  15. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

I find the difference between "one mosquito" and, say, ten mosquitos small enough to not bother. Personal strength would not be the solution here in any case.

infinityDivided and Lupercal like this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Depending on how good she is at that art, and how far Zoat wants it to go, she might not have any of the standard kryptonian vulnerabilities, if she has time to prepare.

Become kryptonite powered? Become red sun powered? Become magic powered against a magic foe? Become psychic energy powered when attacked by a telepath?

And Chris Kent, as he showed in that page Zoat linked, was capable of active absorption ala the Parasite to boot, since he absorbed the harmful radiation out of the American and Russian Supermen in Countdown Arena.

nobodez, Lupercal and Darko like this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That wasn't the line that we were having a problem with, though?

Inconsistent. The second one is probably the one you meant.

SaltyWaffles, Mr Zoat and Lupercal like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Okay, which bit are you having problems with?
    Thank you, corrected.

19. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Don't know if it's just me, and I hope that I'm not being influenced by my name, but can you see this ending up in The Dreaming, with Morpheus and all the other fun characters?

Imprisoning Krona there would not seem to be a stupid thing to do...

OTOH, Mr Zoat has proved pretty good at coming up with plot-lines I didn't anticipate...

20. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I pity the poor guy, If only he had gotten a Yellow ring instead.

Lupercal and Navi-Hank like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

3rd January 2005
    21:34 GMT -5

"…won't you stop them?!"

I lean back slightly in my chair as a slightly singed Mr Logan gesticulates at me.

I shrug. "Why..? Would I?"

Somewhere in the distance there's an explosion as the Red Guard open fire on… Something or other. From the state of Mr Logan I'm going to assume that it's the rest of the Teen Titans.

Komand'r nods, raising her eyebrows as she chews on a slice of pizza. The rest of the restaurant-goers are looking rather nervously in the direction of a plume of smoke…

"Because they're trying to kill a guy!"

"A.. guy who took part in mengelese biological experiments and thoroughly deserves it, yes. And.. anyway, I don't have the authority to give Senior Lantern Abysmus orders even if I wanted to."

"They're wrecking the city!"

"Then get out of their way. It's not going to take them more than a few minutes to kill him if your team don't interfere. Much less collateral damage." That doesn't seem to satisfy him. "Alright, tell you what." I take my-.

"ERRRRRwrrrrrrrrrrrrrahhHHH."

I sigh as my ring incinerates my personal computer. That's-.

"Here." Komand'r reaches into her purse and passes me her phone. "Try not to set it on fire as well."

I smile at her. "Thank you, oh light of my heavens." Okay, access file and-.

Komand'r looks around in a mild panic. "Not in public!"

"Oh, you love it, snookums." And the file is there. "Now, 'Beast Boy', I have the files on-"

A pillar of fire leaps into the sky a street away, and a couple of patrons throw money at their table as they sprint for the exit.

Looks like we're getting excellent service this evening.

"-the whole process. If you can watch the videos all the way through without throwing up, I'll talk to Senior Lantern Abysmus about pursuing their vengeance in a way that causes less collateral damage. Does that sound reason-"

He grabs the phone and taps the screen to play the first video. Ah, I know it well. A splendid aid to building up enough rage to incinerate someone who was 'just following orders'.

"-able?"

"No it doesn't, but if all I gotta do is watch some stupid-."

I hear a very quiet sawing sound from the phone's speaker.

"-video, then I-"

He catches sight of the screen and is instantly entranced.

"-can-."

I lean forwards and grab the phone from his hands just before the wave of gastric juices erupts from his mouth and splashes all over the restaurant floor. I wait for him to finish, then look over towards the counter, make eye contact with one of the servers and smile at him.

"Would you be so good as to clean that up? I'll be sure to tip appropriately."

The server I'm looking at checks his immediate surroundings in case I could possibly have been looking at anyone else, then nods. Excellent! I pass the phone back to Komand'r, who snatches it out of my hand and checks it for vomit before checking Mr Logan's progress.

"How far did he get?"

"Vivisecting the guy with the sticking out spine. They just stuck the third hook in."

I frowns and lean forward as Mr Logan starts to pick himself up.

"Are you sure you're in the right line of work?"

"Why do you even have that on your phone?"

"To remind me why what I do is... If not 'justice' then at least 'just-ish'."

Mr Logan looks blank while Komand'r rolls eyes and picks up another slice of pizza.

"'Just-ish'-? No, never-"

There's a bang from just outside, and a spray of gravel and dust billows past the window.

"-mind."

Komand'r leaps into the air, fists balled and glowing purple-.

"Not inside the pizzeria, honey-bun."

Her fist-flames gutter and she glances at me with a cringe I nearly miss before she regains her focus. "Stop. Saying things like that!"

"Oh stop pretending, love-kitten. I know what public displays of affection do to you." I lean forward slightly and point to my back with my right forefinger. "I've still got the burns on-."

She flies out of the pizzeria. But through the door rather than through the window. And her thighs are pressed together. Hopefully, the Red Guard outside last long enough that she works out her aggression but not so long that her arousal winds down. Keeping up with a tamaranean requires intense stamina-training, but it's well worth the effort.

I get to my feet and offer Mr Logan a hand up, which he accepts.

"It looks like the Red Guard are about to make it justifiable self-defence. And getting between me and my hot-to-trot fiancée is something I cannot abide."

My ring drips red light as I stalk after Komand'r. I suspect that this is going to hurt. My armour's back at home, and red rings are rubbish at defensive constructs. The Red Guard know that I'm nominally on their side, but their training erred very much on the 'no pulling punches' side of things. On the other hand I'm wearing a personal force field and… Heck, Grayson's no tougher than me and he's still alive. I'll see if I can talk some sense into those algebators and then…

That's… Not a Red Guard.

It's even less of a Red Guard after a rictus-grinning Komand'r slams it into the ground and then shoves her burning right hand into its eyes while her left wraps around its throat, but my puzzlement causes my aura to flicker.

"Mister Logan, what is that?"

Hands on his stomach, he walks out of the restaurant behind me, taking in the scene and then looking towards the last known location of his comrades.

"I dunno dude, but I gotta go." He morphs into a bird form, flapping for all he's worth towards the most recent explosion.

Komand'r's right hand finally burns through the facial armour, so she hooks her fingers around and-

"HaaaAAAARRRH!"

-rips it free before flying over to me, frowning at it.

"Do the Red Guard use robots?"

"They have scout automata. They don't use them in combat, though. Who was that?"

"She said she was looking for you, so I thought-."

The woman Komand'r just defaced activates some sort of thrusters in her… Armour? And staggers upright, crippled face staring at me.

"Red Lantern located. No man escapes the Manhunters."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Who were they after in the beginning?

Relyt33, DAT_NOOB and Handlewithcare like this.
  23. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should there be a full stop after "nods"?

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The robot manhunters are usually trash unless they get powered by an emotional light.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Man hunters are probably working for Króna.
    Or the Guardians are doing some shit again.

Zoat when you said the Crisis is going to have 40 to 50 chapters did you mean that the chapters that focus on the POV of the alternates, like this chapter does, will count as those chapters instead of counting as supplementary chapters?

What has Black Lantern Paul been up to, helping the Scoobies, killing monsters, joining that government group, trying to get demons, vampires and other creatures to adopt more sensible means of survival etc.?

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    In total.
    Yes, things like that.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'while her left' not 'while he left'

Also instead of 'tamaranean' maybe it should be 'Tamaranean'

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Unless you have been through mystic kung fu training it's rather likely that Grayson's actually tougher then you on a purely physical level.

Cuchulin, Jaron, Relyt33 and 4 others like this.
  29. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

I suspect that one's about to be "empowered" by an emotional light...

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually the Animated series one's are moderately badass.