1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hope Rises, Yip Yip (OMAKE based on "With This Ring")

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Gilhelmi, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Threadmarks: Hope rises, Yip Yip
    Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

OK, I am a bit nervous about this one. I got permission to write this OMAKE months ago, but ran into a block. I could not figure out how to make the story work with BL Alan Scott and OL Paul both on planet.

It should have ended in seconds.

But with the current story-line in "With This Ring" where they are investigating the Sheeda in Columbia and will be gone for 'Awhile, don't yet know how long'. It solved my writers block.

Hope it all goes well.

Other background/reminder: BL Alan Scott's ring and lantern was made by a Weponeer of Qwad that Paul recruited while in the Anti-matter Universe.

1 May 2012

Ganthet stands on Odym looking at the new ring he has just forged. A brand new Blue Lantern Ring, the seventh of its kind. Or eighth, depending on how you count.

This one is a bit special though. Its mission is of highest importance.

It was regrettable that the other Guardian’s rejected his plan to create a new Lantern Core that would support and strengthen the Green Lanterns. Yes, the Green Light was the best suited for the work of providing the Universe with protection and order, but they were quickly reaching the limit of what just one Light can do.

“All the Colours are important to the whole, each in their own regard and respect.”

Sayd moving next to him “Yes yes, now are you going to release the ring or not? We really could use an experienced Lantern, and it would provide useful data to see how he has implemented his own techniques. We still need to find out if that piece of Qwadinan” she almost hisses the name “engineering can work in the long term or if it has some bit of Qwad malware on it.”

“I just need to set the mission parameters. ‘This ring’s mission is two-fold, to seek out a being in Space Sector 2814, on Earth specifically, that fills others with Hope and to have that person make contact with Blue Lantern Alan Scott. Then pass along a formal invitation for him and the new Lantern to come to our base on Elpis’. Seal this directive and set mission on the authority of Guardian….” He paused for a bit. He was no longer a Guardian

“Correction; on the authority of Ganthet.”

The planet Elpis was chosen just in case there was Qwadinan tracking on that other ring; it would be foolish not to take the necessary precaution.

And with that, the blue streak sprang across the sky.

“I just wish that the rest of the Guardians would have let us keep our communication protocols. This would have been so much easier if we could just have called Lantern Stewart, or better, Blue Lantern Scott himself” Sayd mused.

She was not surprised that the rest of the Guardians wanted nothing to do with the other Lights, but she was disappointed that they did not even want to maintain communications between them. Even with the new evidence that the other lights could be useful, they were being as stubborn as ever.

“Things are as they are. We must accept things as they are now and hope they will change in the future.” Ganthet looks off in the distance, a new Blue light coming closer. “Ah, a new recruit. His ring says he is from sector 0001. We should go welcome our new Brother.”

Jhm1335, caspian1a, JamesEye and 5 others like this.
  2. Threadmarks: Hope Rises, Chapter 2
    Gilhelmi

April 28th
    3:34 AM

Just outside of Allentown, Pennsylvania. A young woman is sleeping with her dog in the woods. They only have a blanket to cover themselves with.

The small dog suddenly wakes up hearing a slight rustling from the bushes behind them and starts licking the woman’s face quickly.

She wakes up fast. This is not the first time she was woken up by licking and knows what it means. They are in danger and need to leave now.

Grabbing her blanket and backpack, she quietly but swiftly grabs the small dog and flees the area. There will be no sleep tonight.

She had hoped that they would not have tracked her this time. Or maybe it was some other people out in the woods. There is some safety joining up with other homeless people, but no.

It’s not worth the risk to herself or to them. She doesn’t want to involve anyone else.

Keep heading east; New York is only 70-80 miles now. Maybe three days if they hustle.

May 1st
    4:15 PM

The young woman and the small dog finally arrived in New York.

Her plan was, not great, but the only one she could come up with that had a chance of working. Blend in with the homeless community. It is large enough here that she should be impossible to find

Should be, in theory anyway.

Heck, she doesn’t even know how they managed to track her to begin with. They crossed hundreds of miles, rarely going into stores. Eating squirrels, dandelions, and occasionally stealing from dumpsters.

Just need to find a homeless shelter that does not check ID’s. Are they required to? Do they care who I am? Who I was?

Just then, the small dog starts whining. “What’s wrong Doug?” The dog is looking at the end of the open alley.

It looks like no one is there, but she knows better than to ignore her brave guardians instincts.

“Let’s go somewhere more public. That should hold them off for a bit.” And starts to head out the opposite end of the alley. With luck, there might be a café or someplace that will let her hid in a crowd.

But, how did they find her? Or did they find her? Was the danger in the alley them or someone unrelated? She hasn’t seen them for weeks, maybe all the recent dangers have been unrelated.

Becoming hopeful that the danger is unknown instead on what she knows…..

Just before she gets to the end of the alley, three men jumped her and dragged her back.

3. Threadmarks: Hope Rises, Chapter 3
    Gilhelmi

I had intended to post the rest of this last Friday, but got called away. Gave me a chance to refine my writing I guess

May 1st
    4:20 PM

“Stupid” kick “Fucking” kick “WHORE” kick

The three men punch and kick the young woman, while Doug yips furiously at them.

“You stole from us. Everything you have, the cloths on your back to the food we fed you growing up belonged to the family. You belong to us; you’re not allowed to just leave.”

She lays there, simi-conscious and whispers “Run away Doug.”

The man looks at the dog “Shut up” and kicks the corgi across the alley.

Sore, Doug gets up and thinks, ‘Keep making noise, someone might hear. Bite him, might let sister escape’.

The little dog starts to bark as loudly as he can, it hurts to breath, but we must protect our Sister.

The second man looks at the woman, “Let’s show her who’s in charge here.” As he reaches for the dog.

The dog seeing him reach out ‘No, I bite you’ and bites his hand, drawing blood.

“Fucking dog.” He grabs Doug, throwing him against the wall. Whimpering, the dog stands up the best he can on his now broken hind leg. ‘must growl, must try to intimidate,’

The first man laughs at the dog. The young woman cries out “No, don’t” as the man reaches for the injured dog to finish the job.

Time slows down for Doug. ‘What is going on.’

You were in danger, we accelerated your perception so we could ask you a question.

‘I don’t understand.’

Doug of Earth, of Sector 2814. You have a great capacity for hope, and inspiring that hope in others. Take this ring and become our Brother.

Doug looks over his the near frozen sister, ‘I could save her. Yes, I accept

Welcome to the Blue Lantern Corp, Saint Doug.

May 1st
    4:23 PM

Let her go.” the newly christened St. Doug glows brightly raising into the air while in a sitting position. His head held high showing the Emblem of the Blue Lantern Core on his collar.

The man closest takes a swing, and breaks his hand on the environmental shields.

You are not the smartest of humans. I will say this one last time. Let. My. Sister. Go.

The three men flee from the alley. The young woman passes out. ‘What do I do now? I need to get her help.’ Suddenly he hears a voice in his head.

Brother Doug, you should take her to a hospital.

‘OK, what’s a hospital?’

It is a place where people can be healed by trained professionals. I here are the directions to the nearest one.

Doug hopes and the environmental shield covers the young woman. Then he flies off to the hospital.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  4. Threadmarks: Hope Rises, Chapter 4
    Gilhelmi

May 1st
    4:35 PM

Hello, my sister was hurt really badly by bad men. Can you help her?” The nurse stares at the small dog, and then looks at the unconscious woman.

“I need a gurney, and a doctor immediately.” She also presses the panic button under her station. She does not know what is going on, but when talking animals show up, you don’t take chances.

A doctor rushes in “What’s happening? Get her in the ER now.” He looks at the dog. “Why is there a dog in my hospital?”

I am Doug, and I brought in my sister after bad men attacked her. May I stay with her?

“Did that dog just talk? You can talk?” Turning to the nurse he whispers, “Are the police on their way?” She nods. “I am sorry….. Doug, but we do not allow anyone inside the ER except for immediate family and there is no way for us to verify who you are.”

OK, I will wait here.” Doug goes over to a chair in the waiting area and starts to lie down. He intently watches the ER door waiting for his sister to come out.

‘Brother Doug, I have some important information to tell you. It is about your mission and why this Ring was sent to Earth.’ Doug raises his head to listen.

You need to seek out a person on Earth called who is also a Blue Lantern. His full name is Alan Scott. Brother Ganthet and Sister Sayd want to invite him to help guide and train the new corp.

‘How do I find him?’

Start by looking for a person in a blue uniform, with a similar emblem like the one on your collar.

‘OK, but first I want to wait for sister to get better.’

Right then several, rather heavily armed police officer storm into the empty waiting room. Their weapons drawn, but in the low-ready position.

Hello, I am Doug. I am very happy to see you. Have you come to play?

The Captain looks on in disbelief. No, no, this is crazy, but it’s not the craziest thing that the Special Response Team has had to deal with. “I am Capt. Williams of the New York City Police SRT. We heard there was some extremely odd activity going on here. Would you care to explain what’s going on?”

While being attacked by bad men, this Blue Ring came down and offered to help me save my sister. It flew onto my neck and became this collar. I have a recording of the event.” Suddenly a hologram springs out of the ring, appearing in front of them. It even showed the events just before the ring arrived as it was scanning the immediate area.

Capt. Williams askes “What’s your sister’s name?”

She is my Sister.” He pants happily.

“OK, but what do you call your sister?”

Sister.” He turns his head sideways. 'Is he not understandings what sister means?' Doug wonders.

“OK, let’s try another way. What do you call your sister when you talk to her?”

I could not talk to her until today.” Capt. Williams face palms at that, of course why would a dog be able to talk without the aid of some magical alien ring thing like the Green Lanterns wear……. That’s a good idea, call the Justice League and let them deal with this……

But the girl, that needs to be investigated. He had looked over the images that the ER had sent while they were in route. She looks 14 but with the poor diet in the homeless community, she could be anywhere from 12 to 25.

Another officer walks out of the ER. “Capt. The girl has no ID on her and only a few dollars in her backpack. She is most likely homeless. Should I call CPS?”

“Yes, but she is not going anywhere until one of the Green Lanterns or someone from the Justice League gets here. In fact, get on the phone to them first. I would like a Green Lantern here if possible.”

Who are the Justice League? They sound friendly!” Doug starts to get excited, traveling with his sister has been fun but, they haven’t been able to stop to make friends. Not with the bad people following.

“They are great hero’s” Capt. Williams says cheerfully, while trying to gauge the corgi’s intellectual level. “You can meet them later, but let’s talk more about you and your sister.”

“Do you know where you are from or how you got here?” “No

“How old is your sister?” “I do not know, she has been with me since I left the litter.

Of course, the Captain mused to himself. Why would a dog know these things? He just learned to speak today. It’s going to be a long day.

5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Doug is a good dog!

Jonn Wolfe and Gilhelmi like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Hope Rises: Chapter 5
    Gilhelmi

May 1st
    6:00 PM

A tall man wearing a blue suit and a red cape and a woman dressed in green and black, walks with purpose into the ER waiting area. Seeing him, Doug jumps off the chair and races over to him.

Will Detected”/“Warning: Hope Detected

Are you Blue Lantern Alan Scott?” A hologram appears besides the man of Alan Scott. Doug looks at the man, then at the hologram, and back at the man again. “Nope, oh well. Hey, you have a Lantern emblem, are you Lantern Scott?” Doug looks at the woman, then at the hologram, and back at the woman again.

Now convinced that neither of them is the man he is looking. “I am Doug, are you here to see my sister too?

“Uh, hi there, I am Superman.” ... “and I am Lantern Savenlovich.” ... “I imagine that we have a few questions for her as well, but I am here to see you as well. Why are you looking for the Blue Lantern?”

My ring asked me to deliver a message. According to our ring, Brother Ganthet is forming a new Lantern Corp and would like to invite him to join.

“Interesting” Lantern Savenlovich says “I was not aware that the Guardian Ganthet left Oa. Let alone form a new Lantern Corp. When did he decide to do that?”

I do not know, recently I guess.” Doug wags his tail happily, so many people talking to him. It will be exciting to introduce all these new friends to sister.

Before they could ask another question, the doctor enters the room. “Hello, I am Dr. Branson. The young woman is now awake, but she is still wozzy so it might be best if you let her rest. Uhmm, the d…. Lantern Doug” he is unsure if that is how to address the odd sentient dog “needs to wait out here.”

“It is OK doctor; all Lanterns have environmental shields that prevent contamination of local environments. Honestly, Superman would be dirtier than him or I with it up.” She also wants to keep a close eye on the dog with the Alien Zeno-tech ring.

I have already pooped twice and the blue shield absorb it up. Blooop, and gone.” He is amazed by this, no more searching for a spot to go. Pooping anytime, anywhere!

“Well, if the Justice League vouches for you then you can come.” The Doctor agrees. He is unsure of the legality of all this, the Sophomoric Act probably means that the dog has the same rights as a human..... but the regulations still prohibit dogs...... nope, this is a one time thing, he can point to the League if anyone make a fuss about it.

“We just need to ask her a couple questions.” As they walk down the hallway, Superman puts a hand on Lantern Savenlovich shoulder and whispers “Let’s let the Corgi enter first.” She nods allowing him take the lead on the investigation.

Outside of the room Capt. Williams and a couple other officers are waiting. He had sent the majority of the team back, but with all the ‘unusual’ events of the day; SOP is that someone stays until they can determine the threat level.

“Go on in Lantern Doug, we need to talk to the officer for a minute.” Superman stands next to the captain and starts to focus in on listening to what is about to be said.

Still glowing blue, the Corgi rushes into the hospital room to find his sister. She is still unconscious with black and blue marks on her face. There is only one thing the little dog could think to do.

Flying up to the bed, he gently licks her face until she wakes up. She looks around at the clean room and then at the glowing Doug, a calm settles on her face. “Oh good, we must have died. I expected heaven to be less plain though.”

I do not think we have died sister.” Doug says with a concerned look on his face.

“If we are not dead, why are you glowing blue? Why am I not in a huge amount of pain? And how did we escape my ‘uncles’?” she asks with a slight smirk, ‘knowing’ she was right.

Because a Blue Lantern ring came down and offered me a chance to save you.

“Lantern ring, like the Green Lanterns.” A brief moment of horror, they are not dead. Oh God, why? She did not know much about them. “OK, listen Doug. I don’t know what’s going on, but it does not matter right now. We need to leave right now. I don’t know how they tracked us here, but they will keep coming unless we can get somewhere they can’t reach us.”

I will go with you wherever you want.” Doug loyally pants.

Superman enters the room alone; they decided that Lantern Savenlovich and Capt. Williams might be a bit too ‘intimidating’ for her at the moment. “Hello, I’m Superman. We need to ask you a couple of questions.”

Her eyes dart to him with fear. She has heard ‘of’ this Superman, but only that he is really powerful and such. They never let her or any of her siblings watch TV or read the news. Until this moment, she had thought most of the stories that the children whispered were made up.

“We are not going back. You can’t make us.” She speaks forcefully. Sensing her distress, Doug takes up a ‘guard dog’ position near her side.

“OK, that’s fine, we just need some information. But you really should rest, you were hurt pretty badly.” He knows he will have to ask gently. The dog will obey her without question and they really don’t want to fight in a hospital. Even with the staff having cleared this wing and transferring patients out.

“What’s your name? How old are you?”
    “Jennifer and I think I’m 17, we were not supposed to keep track.”

“OK, and your last name?” He prods, they need to identify her.
    “I only have one name. The people who raised me did not believe in distinguishing ourselves by separate families, because they claimed we were all one.”

Superman nods, he has a bad feeling he knows where this is going. He wishes Diana was here, but she is in that parallel world investigating the Sheeda threat. Maybe he should have gotten a councilor from one of her charity organizations.

“Where are you from? Do you have a family?”
    “I am not saying, I don’t know how they tracked me this far. But they were the ones who beat me. I. Am. Not. Going. Back.”

“OK, that’s fine. I know a couple charity organizations that helps people like you get away from abusers. How about I get you in contact with them, tomorrow. You need to rest and heal tonight.” Superman smiles at her, but she is still staring him down.

The Corgi curls up at next to the young girl and comforts her. “Thank you Doug, you are a good friend.” Jennifer falls asleep quickly.

Darkban, Kima Xki, ELS713 and 11 others like this.
  7. Prince Charon

Hoo, boy, this needs a Hugs rating.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  8. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I hope I wasn't the only one who was expecting Blue Lantern Aang from the title, but Hope Corgi is good too.

9. Prince Charon

I'm not sure why you would. The title is why I was expecting Hope Corgi.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  10. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Yip, yip" is what Aang says when getting his Sky Bison Appa to fly, essentially analogous to 'giddyup', and it's where I'm most familiar with the term from. Given that With This Ring has had a segment with Avatar the Last Airbender before and that Aang's role in the series is essentially one of bringing hope to peoples being oppressed by the Fire Nation (as well as his own personality being fairly hopeful), that was my main assumption. I'm passingly familiar with the meme of Hope Corgi but that's not what came to mind.

JamesEye and Gilhelmi like this.
  11. Prince Charon

Ah. OK, that makes sense. I suspect part of it is that I'm older than you, and so the term meant 'noise a small dog makes' to me for decades before the first episode of AtLA came out.

JamesEye, Gilhelmi and DrThoth like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Hope Rises: Chapter 6
    Gilhelmi

Hopefully, only a couple more of these set-up chapters before I can get into the much more fun chapters that I have planned.

May 1st
    7:25 PM

“Thank you for leaving a couple of your men on guard duty tonight Captain. Her attackers will probably not try anything tonight, but we can't take the chance. We will be back in the morning, hopefully with a good night’s rest and some food; she will be more willing to talk with us.” Superman says, genuinely appreciating their service.

“We need to contact Batman and ask him to investigate where the girl and her dog came from, but it seems that he got the ring in the alley they were attacked in.”

“Yes and the Guardians are not saying anything about it. The ‘internal workings and politics between themselves’.” Lantern Savenlovich says, a bit annoyed. She had hoped that the Guardians would be more open than her home of Russia.

“Did they say why, umm, Ganthet?” Lantern Savenlovich nods “Why he gave a power ring to a dog?”

“They did not know, I got the sense that they were not on speaking terms with the Blue Lanterns.” Should she say the next part, it is rumors, prophecy and such. But…. “I have heard rumors since I joined about a prophecy. I paid it no mind at first, but given the technology of the Guardian’s.... It is about a War of Light that is said to happen when all the 7 corps of Light are formed.”

“Ever since Orange Lantern Illustrious Paul formed his corp, many in the Green Lantern Corp have started to believe that the war is on its way. But, there has not been the ‘inter-corp’ fighting that one would have expected.”

“I do not know, it is probably nothing major. Just people concerned about changing times, listening to old myths and legends instead of reality.”

“Well, I’ll let Batman know anyway.” As they head out, a thought occurs to Superman. “When I spoke to Jennifer, it almost seemed that she did not recognize me.”

“Is that odd? I have not been at this very long.”

“Almost everywhere I have gone; people almost immediately recognize me. Even in some of the most remote places where news might take years to get to the people, they still recognize me. I'm not sure what it means, but it is a potential clue for Batman. Thank you for helping with this Lantern Savenlovich. I know it was last minute.”

“You are welcome Superman, especially with so many of our Lanterns off-world at the moment. I am always willing to help with these serious matters." With that, Superman and Lantern Savenlovich go their separate ways.

May 1st
    9:00 PM

The Corgi has discovered reading.

Well, not reading ‘per say’, more like he had hoped for more knowledge about the world around him, to better protect his sister Jennifer, and the ring has connected to the wifi to fulfill that hope.

Hehe, Jennifer he knows his sister’s name now. Now he understands the importance of names. He is learning so much. This is great.

13. Gilhelmi

Thinking about it though, while Avatar Aang would do well with a Blue Ring it would not be his optimal ring. (at the end of the series)

I think he would already be enlightened enough to fully utilize a White Lantern Ring (Life).

He has a deep love of all people, but understands when it is necessary to let go.

Hope is the most obvious, as he spreads that throughout the series. (might even be his first color next to compassion.)

Compassion is also way up there, because he always wants to stop to help people in trouble and relieve those in distress.

He is surprisingly strong Willed, because even when people tell him something is impossible he usually finds a way. Like not wanting to kill the Fire Lord, he found a way and learned to use it very quickly. Heck, whenever he escapes captivity it is because he had a strong will to find a way out.

He had to overcome and master his Fear of the Fire Nation and being the last of his people.

His Avarice is the weakest of his emotions, but he does desire for everyone to live in peace and be happy.

Finally, he does have a deep seated Rage that he keeps in check. You see it on occasion when he was in the Avatar State. (I count all past Avatars as part of Aang.)

He might need to practice a bit with Orange and Red, but he should be able to wield the Life Lantern Ring.

14. Gilhelmi

https://forum.questionablequesting....si-thread-fourteen.8938/page-988#post-3713375

Oh.... Oh..... This is unfortunate....

There goes half of my OMAKE (oh, also the Earth has been invaded and the battle has raged for almost 2 months killing millions, if not billions of people).

But, depending on where this goes, I might still be able to salvage it. Move some dates up, maybe hid....... probably a lot of hiding with some rescuing people on the side.

I think I will take a break from this OMAKE to see where Mr. Zoat's story goes then readjust course accordingly.

Should I post the next 2 parts that I had already written? It would have taken place at the same time as the Sheeda invasion in Gaveyn's timeline and it looks like those will line up.

15. Gilhelmi

OK, I have a plan.

More specifically, 3 plans depending on where Mr. Zoat takes his story. I have them mostly typed out.

I am quite excited to see where his story goes, so I will hold off on posting any further updates until he gets done.

DrThoth likes this.
  16. Ratton99

Ratton99 Making the rounds.

You know you don’t have to adhere to canon exactly, you can just use where you started as a jumping off point and continue from there

Gilhelmi and Prince Charon like this.
  17. Gilhelmi

Yes, but I am trying to practice keeping my own story in-line with another person's fictional universe.

In retrospect, I got a bit overly excited seeing Alan Scott off-world. A pre-requisite to making my story work for longer than 5 minutes. If he were on Earth, then he would have met Doug, and taken Jennifer in to protect her.

I really should have waited a few days, and held off when I saw Grayven's storyline.

18. Katorishi

Katorishi Not too sore, are you?

who is a good boi
    you are

Gilhelmi likes this.
  19. Gilhelmi

The Spirit of St. Rodger's (of Mr. Rodger's Neghiborhood) has whispered to me on how to square a few holes.

I updated the timeline to give me an extra day (they really must have ran to get 70 miles in that short amount of time). I just need to introduce one character and set up one important concept.

Soon, the Best Lantern will return. Woooho.

Prince Charon likes this.