1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Atlantis is a good candidate for getting that ship, Zerox is another, assuming they somehow make contact with it.

If that planet where women had their eyes gouged out continues to develop to the point magic becomes common then they may also benefit from the ship.

Atlantis may not want to miss out in the chance to get a magic time/potentially space ship just because some of them may not like Paul all that much.

The renegade can also potentially make more of the ship and give it to his allies who he can't turn into New Gods.

A problem with New God tech is that it can be used to its fullest extent by New Gods, but for others it's much more difficult if not outright impossible to fully use it, so a magic spaceship that doesn't require you to be a New God could be something the people of Zerox are interested in.

Well assuming the Sheeda didn't somehow make themselves into something like pseudo New Gods at least to use the tech.

Ngamer11, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Presumably he either doesn't know someone that fixes clocks, his wife may not want him to do that, and she may also not want him to remove the hands.

Cuchulin and transhumansage like this.
  3. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat is that true about the brand? dont mistake me, i love innovation and extrapolation of lore but im curious if he is right?

4. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I don't think the UN would want Atlantis to get a powerful ship. If they balked at letting a couple of Battle Mages into the League, they certainly wouldn't want them getting sole ownership of advanced tech.

DrThoth likes this.
  5. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

I dunno, this is actually a fairly nuanced and even handed view of the puritans.

I've always liked them a bit, despite their calvanist nuty-ness

I respect a society where you get whipped for being an asshole to a beggar.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may be willing to let them have it as long as they share their findings and let others view what they do.

They may do this because they don't really have anyone that could work on something like this, while Atlantis has mages and equipment that can potentially let them figure out the ship.

7. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's roughly similar to the situation with the Atlantean battlemages on the League though; the other countries don't have the same access to relatively powerful, knowledgeable, competent and reliable magic-users as Atlantis does, and the League of all things could really use those given their current role in the world, but political issues still complicate things. Maybe STAR Labs can shove it into a vault somewhere and do absolutely nothing with it.

Though there shouldn't be an issue with time-travel potential, I believe, given that the waters are limited or whatever (I can't remember now, exactly) which I'm thankful for, both because that's a whole new level of power that might escalate the setting too far, and because I've given up on keeping track of time travel storylines in general.

I'm not sure Mr Zoat can see the post you're replying/referring to, because he's blocked or ignored Vaermina.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They might be willing to let the examination of the ship happen due to the potential benefits it can bring.

Though they could also just decide to refuse any examination by anyone due to the risks time travel can pose.

Honestly the Controllers, or other Maltusians, may the ones best suited for handling this thing.

They're extremely advanced, have seen a whole lot of weird things, and may have at least some skill in magic or at least something similar to New God powers based on some things I've read in this story.

Even if they don't use it in a fleet wide way Paul may be able to use it for other things.

Smart man.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  9. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Actually, as pointed out in Gods and Mortals (The chapter where Paragon develops the ability to consume magic via orange light usage), the Maltusian use of the symbiotes meant that they never really developed a magical tradition. Not that I'm a fan of the whole magic-versus-science dichotomy, though that's not as prevalent in this fic as in other DC settings.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may not have developed a tradition but some of their powers could be more arcane based, like New God powers.

When Renegade went to Maltus he sensed one of the Maltusians trying to do something to his soul, plus they were able to detect the AL Equation in him, and when Hinon saw the Sword of the Fallen she was shocked at what it was which could suggest that she could sense its demonic nature.

The Maltusians also may not have developed their own tradition but there may not be anything stopping them from learning it from other species, even if they aren't as interested in magic.

The Controller's are also connected to the orange light and may be able to use it for magic, like when Hinon went to inspect Dreams prison.

Also when Renegade cut Krona with the Sword, Krona lost his powers, which suggest they may be somewhat arcane based.

Ngamer11 and DrThoth like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

What the SI said in that segment is the truth as he knows it.

12. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Transhumansage wasn't referring to the stuff the SI said in the chapter. They had quoted a post by Vaermina, apparantly unaware that the quote would be invisible to anyone who has Vaermina blocked. The quote in question:

13. Mr Zoat

Yes, that it the only time I remember it being shown in the comic. With the big focus on the orange light in this story when compared to just Larfleeze in the comic, I'm going to expand a lot of things. The idea that the orange light could be used to alter a person's desires in a controlled way seemed to be a reasonable expansion of its demonstrated abilities.

14. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

thank you.

its dc so im guessing there are several other ways to mind-influence somebody in the comics?

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

A green lantern did something that is kind of comparable.

He was like Sinestro except even more of a scumbag.

He ripped the willpower out of a billion people he put in concentration camps.

Which bit him in the ass when one of the prisoners stole and swallowed his ring after he had his way with her, ending with a Green Dawn of the Dead as the Glow empowered corpses of his victims ripped his empire to shreds with their undead hands. A feat that is even more impressive with the fact that the people he was putting in concentration camps were yellow.

So her willpower not only didn't stop with her death but gave the Guardians malware a "You think you can stop me, screw that!"

Anyway if a greenie can remove willpower, then an orange implanting desires seems entirely consistent logically.

ChestBurster, Darko, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Who was that?

17. Frank Iannetta

Frank Iannetta Getting out there.

It was her grandmother's, so my wife wants to keep it as is as a memory, but it is also ugly as heck, since it was never maintained by her grandmother (she had developed Alzheimer's for the last few years of her life).

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Ayria, Green Lantern of Sector 3112.

Showed up in Green Lantern Quarterly 7, and his corpse in Blackest Night.

19. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

6th May
    10:43 GMT -5

I smile at Beulah as she performs a final check of her equipment.

"Short straw or long straw?"

Her eyes move my way for a moment. "Your meaning?"

I nod to the standing stones where a couple of local mages -theonomists, they call them- are working on reopening the witch-path. Not the same one we came in by, but Melmoth had a more complete map than the Columbians do. It takes more effort to ensure that it's properly aligned, but can be reactivated far more swiftly. The underlying reason is probably quite fascinating, and I'm hoping to get the theonomist accompanying us -a Doctor Bertram- in contact with Sephtian.

Probably… Best I don't mention the 'flying through Hell' outline we came up with.

"Drawing straws is another term for drawing lots. 'Drawing the short straw' is a metaphor for being selected for an unpleasant job."

"I do what duty requires."

"Right, and so does Abednego." He's over talking to the drovers handling the few Sheeda animals we captured alive. The drovers aren’t coming with us and Abednego wants to make sure that he knows how to look after them. "But Shadrach isn't here, despite being one of three witch-hunters who’ve been on our side before."

"Lord-Protector Judah is like to order a purgation. Brother Shadrach would be loath to be elsewhere when it occurs."

"So how-?"

"He is a judge of where to apply his own skills, and God Almighty is the judge of his soul. Abednego is perhaps a little too charitable. Our embassy must have someone who can judge you clearly."

I smile. "Oh, that's right: you missed me going to Heaven, didn't you?"

Her eyes return to me.

"Is this some manner of jest?"

"Oh, I wish." I shrug. "I wouldn't mention it, but there's no way someone isn't going to mention the whole thing while you're on Earth, so I'd rather get it out of the way now."

"You expect me to credit a claim that you died and went to Heaven and yet stand here now, risen anew?"

"No, I expect you to disbelieve me, and gradually gain more information supporting the claim, then become increasingly irrational in your demands that I deny that it happened before finally realising that it's true and… I don’t know, going on a huge bender as you try to use alcohol to erase your memory of the revelation."

"Your imagination is heartily overactive."

"Then you would deny the bender, and just avoid me while throwing yourself into your work to try to regain some semblance of normalcy. But gradually the thoughts would return, and-."

"You are a pagan, are you not?"

"Yes. Oh, believe me, Heaven wasn't my preferred-."

"I am pledged not to use my pyromantic magic against another Christian. But I will not be made a warlock for using it against you."

"Understood. But I can't feel pain unless I want to and I can regenerate non-fatal injury."

"I would test that."

I hold out my right arm. "Go right ahead."

She reaches out and firmly grasps my forearm with her right hand, flames blue and fierce and.. entirely ineffectual against my environmental shield. She meets my eyes and I shrug, and-. Then for a moment she makes flames inside my environmental shield, burning my skin under my armour. She's still watching my eyes and I shrug again, subspacing my vambrace to reveal the burned flesh. Which then glows orange and is restored to pristine skin.

She lets go of my arm and I replace the armour.

"And I'm completely serious about the Heaven thing, too. The Angel King Asmodel decided that he could run the universe better than God, Karrien Excalibris just wanted to kill things and they both decided I was an acceptable target. My soul was taken to Heaven as a hard test of their new rehabilitation system."

"Rehabilitating one as prideful as you might test even the angels' capacities."

"That's what they said! But they won't get another chance. Straight to Erebos next time."

"Your false idols will not shield you from the Lord."

"Perhaps, but they will shield me from everyone else." The glow of the witch-path stabilises and the theonomists step away, nodding to the Columbian MP who is coming with us to open diplomatic negotiations. "So anyway, how do you feel about any of this?"

"The thought of spending time in your presence engenders a great desire in me to swear an oath of chastity."

"Oh, there are plenty of dour Christian men on Earth. I'm sure you could find someone who's a match for you. But I really meant the stuff with the Sheeda… Melmoth."

"All should burn. But you may put them to the question first, that you may learn to better burn the rest."

"Not.. big on turning the other-?"

"Brothers and Sisters, and honoured guests!" The MP gestures for our attention. "The way is stable, and we are ready to depart! For the first time since our forefathers were snatched away from their homes we will have official contact with England once more!"

That should be 'foremothers', given that they're descended from Melmoth and the colonist women. And… Someone has told him that America is an independent country, haven't they? I sort of assumed that they'd feel closest to the United States, but I suppose that it makes sense that they feel closer to English Nonconformists than anything else.

Major Adams and Abednego head through the portal first, then a theonomist and the mission's priest. John and I are going back because we need the carrying capacity of two Lanterns to wrangle all of the materials we're bringing with us. Some of the porters finish loading up John's lorry constructs and he follows a cluster of political aides through into the witch-path.

"You and me next, then."

Beulah moves towards the portal without further comment, pack and weapons stowed. I pick up the cages and crates containing living and dead specimens for dissection and float after her.

Back on Earth
    Somewhere Near Ipswich

I look around the.. park? It's daylight at least. Ring, check time and-

25th June 2012
    11:23 GMT

-date..? Oh. Time passes… Slower there. Something to bear in mind, but the difference…

"…Justice League mission…"

Soldiers in British Army uniforms are pointing guns at our guests as Major Adams tries talking their sergeant down. And I see tents… Refugee tents? Pitched all across what looks like it used to be a playing field-.

"They're here!"

I look up as a solid black wave of insect riders cover the sky.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  20. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Uhhh. What?

Looks like it's time for some time travel shenanigans.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  21. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

22. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

My mind refused to process that date for a minute or two.

23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Well, that is fun. Breaking the laws of magic by time travelling. So, is this Ipswich near Brisbane?

24. Irked

Irked Experienced.

So the real question is whether they managed to get back to their own timeline and it's being invaded or if they tripped over into ReneGrayven's world due to shenanigans.

The outright war footing the soldiers are in + massive wave of spine riders is making me lean towards the latter.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe make it 'they want to make' , or 'the drover isn't coming' , because you wrote drovers it would mean that there was more than one, but only one wanted to make sure that they knew what to do with the animals.

'the claim'

Somewhat, but in this case he's right

'her right'

You have no idea girly.

'stabilizes'

Either you misspelled this and it should be 2012, or even this stories version of 2020 isn't safe from becoming a burning turd of a year.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The second one is unlikely, as they may have already beaten the Sheeda there.

My bet is that they just got back to their own universe, but years later and after the Harrowing happened.

27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Subspacing is working there after dealing with Melmoth?
    ITYM while the Harrowing is happening.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe you only things when you go into Witch world, but get to keep it in subspace after you leave.

That and he can just make new armor piece after he leaves.

All the Sheeda stuff they brought wasn't in subspace but in construct carriers.

Oh yeah, good point.

29. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Time Shenanigans! Is it possible that... Melmoth fucked them over? Nah, he was such a trustworthy fellow!

ChestBurster and moralrelativity like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

No.
    The 'he' is Abednego.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I'm fairly sure that's correct.
    Whoops.