1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fertile Ground (Cultivation Riot)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Hangwind, Sep 10, 2020.

1. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

can someone explain the joke?
    So we only choose 1 of those 3 paths? no cultivating them in a balance? are the other two trailing behind at a lower realm or are they completely ignored?
    What is this cultivation about? I am curious

LinkOnScepter likes this.
  2. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

I am a bit confused. Are we supposed to put in a basic system for dao, or are we supposed to put the target like "the dao of time" and then choose a basic cultivation system to try to achieve our dao with?

3. Xanthe38

Xanthe38 Well worn.

General idea is to replicate the aspects and feats of animals/beasts. The overall goal is to mesh the best parts into a single being. That being me.

LinkOnScepter and mrttao like this.
  4. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Ah cool. You going for shapeshifting or for permanent alterations?

5. Xanthe38

Xanthe38 Well worn.

I was thinking it'd be more internal or hand waved magically.

6. LordEdric

LordEdric I trust you know where the happy button is?

Character:
    [X] Lei Ying Lo
    -[X] Qi
    -[X] Taijitu (Yin and Yang) Daoe

Actions:
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Train Alchemy
    [X} Train Basic Movement Technique
    [X] Explore realm

kind of surprised you didn’t have yin/yang listed before, it is ok right?

I picked alchemy because I assume it is your term for pill forging, and it requires all the ingredients to be in balance like how yin/yang should be in balance, my guy will be going for a true neutral try to balance everything in his life, also I want to see if you know what his name means

7. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[x] Long Tea
    -[x] History: Tea changed his last name to Long (dragon) when he discovered the scroll detailing the Nine Steps of Dragon Transformation in the sect library
    -[x] Body
    -[x] Nine Steps of Dragon Transformation

[X] Cultivate
    [X] Train Basic Unarmed Styles
    [X] Train Basic Movement Technique
    [X] Explore realm

the above technique is inspired by https://carefree-path-of-dreams.fandom.com/wiki/Nine_Steps_of_Dragon_Transformation
    but is not meant to be identical to it

Originally I thought... hey we are in a time aspected demiplane, better go with cultivating the dao of time. But then it occurred to me that our sect founder wants to experiment by having us explore various techniques and see how they interact with the demiplane's time energies. So better go for regular techniques and then see how they are mutated due to heavy input of time aspected energies during cultivation

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

[x]Character:
    -[X] Jake Yong
    -[X] body
    -[X] Twelve Animals Body Cultivation[

Actions:
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Train Basic Fist Art
    [X] Explore realm

9. mugnter

mugnter Getting sticky.

Character:
    [X] Meng Lee
    -[X] soul
    -[X] six elements cultivation system (light, fire, water, earth, air, darkness)
    -[X] darkness

Actions:
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Train Basic Stealth Technique
    [X] Explore realm

Is this okey?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  10. Hangwind

Hangwind Versed in the lewd.

Qi e is calling himself Lord Penguin in Chinese. He does that because with the relatively sedate clothing and hands behind their back flying style a lot of cultivators use, they look a lot like penguins throwing themselves down glaciers to him.

[​IMG]
    Imagine this guy flying through the air, standing straight up, with his hands clasped behind him. Now imagine him as a penguin. It's one image I've had in my head for a while.
    You can cultivate more than one, but you don't actually have any scriptures for that as it would be generally considered quite advanced. You could try cultivating multiple paths, but until you find a way to cultivate them as a fusion, they actually slow each other down. So instead of double the time/resources, you use significantly more. Again, you only have the basic scriptures and manuals, though your selection of those is the broader and higher quality than any other leader choice would have allowed.
    The second is more what I was thinking, but I'll be working with players on an individual basis to smooth out the wrinkles and get everyone on the same page. Also working on my wording on the Mechanics page for new players, so bear with me.

I have very clear ideas in my head. Unfortunately, you all can't see inside my head.:p

Note, I will be sending PMs to various people discussing training Daos.

11. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

That is pretty funny. I just do not speak chinese so I did not get the joke
    I see, is it possible to start with one and then transition into a fusion technique in the future when one is acquired?

Also, what is soul cultivation? how is it different from cultivating qi?
    Thanks for clarifying

12. Hangwind

Cultivation Systems and the Daos Within

Alright, I've thought about it and I think I know how to clarify myself on Cultivation and Daos.

Cultivation systems are how you relate with the world. For instance, if you cultivate the classic Five Elements system, you divide your perception of the world into the various Wood, Metal, Water, Fire, and Earth, This is how you relate to the world and how the world relates to your cultivation.

Your Dao defines what parts of the world you use. So, to use the previous example, a Cultivator of the Five Elements System might choose to cultivate Fire. In that case, they would need to find cultivation methods and materials related to Fire, while gaining a weakness to Water because those are parts of the cultivation system. However, if they met a cultivator of Taiji, they would have little to specifically interact with their Daos unless their cultivation system had integrated principles of Taiji cultivation. And if they meet someone that cultivates a system that also has the concept of Fire, they will interact with that system in the way that that system and theirs demands. For our example, if the Classic Five cultivator met a cultivator that used the Pokemon element system, they would be vulnerable to Water, Rock, and Ground. Now, if two systems clash, they do not cancel each other out unless they are specifically opposite. I simply add the modifiers up and see where things go.

Which might get weird, yes.

So why not just choose to cultivate a system that is Fire and Fire only? Because you would end up crippled. You need to have your system able to relate to a significant portion of the environment, or you will find yourself starved for resources and power. You both wouldn't be able to do anything BUT fire and would only be able to process cultivation materials that are specifically and only fire. Which are incredibly rare. On the other hand, while you can attempt to cultivate all the elements, and some people absolutely do, it's slow because you have to find a way to keep all of your energies in balance or risk part of your cultivation either withering or imploding. Neither of which is good.

What cultivation method scriptures do is try to balance the need for power, the need to relate to the world and other systems, and the need to grow quickly. Don't worry about this yet, I want to keep things simple for now. I say all of that to say this: I want you to choose both a system of cultivation and a Dao or set of Daos within that system as your personal path. Again, keep it basic for now, and don't worry about optimization yet.

I will be adding this to the mechanics page with some editing.

On the three kinds of cultivation

There are generally accepted to be three broad kinds of cultivation: Body, Qi, and Soul. They all have general attributes, but be careful, because there are always workarounds.

Body cultivators are cultivators that integrate their Daos into their bodies and use them there. They are usually quite powerful and tough as a base, but tend to lack the more exotic abilities of other kinds of cultivators. Since they are, in a very real way, their own Daos, it is very hard to wear them out. They produce and use their own energies with limited control of them outside of their bodies.

Qi cultivators are cultivators that use external energy. They bring the energy of their surroundings under their control, then use that to fuel their abilities. They tend to be better at range and offense than body cultivators, but can get worn down by using too many abilities and draining the surroundings of Qi. Without Qi in the surroundings, Qi cultivators are much weaker and might not even be able to fight, though many do keep at least a couple options for that exact eventuality. Also, they are vulnerable to hostile qi in the environment, which is why a lot of body cultivators cultivate daos like Poison, Chaos, or Void.

Soul cultivation is the strange one. It tends to give a broad array of abilities, from effects similar to body cultivators, to ones more like Qi cultivators, to ones that are completely unique like direct attacks on the soul. However, it has risks as well. It is the easiest to accidentally lose your cultivation with, it is the easiest one to have "side effects" with, and it is always a risk. When you use abilities, screwing up always gives backlash. Great power, but at risk.

Any questions?

13. mugnter

mugnter Getting sticky.

So basically I need to say that my cultivator cultivates a six elements cultivation system (light, fire, water, earth, air, darkness) and that he personally cultivates the darkness Dao (dos he still cultivates the other elements in the system just to a lesser degree or dos he only cultivate darkness?)

14. Hangwind

Perfect!

Seriously, that's exactly it. He would only cultivate Darkness, but he would have a starting point on affecting the other parts of his system. So he could come up with a technique that specifically countered light or air for instance. On the other hand, if he met a cultivator that cultivated, say, squirrels, even if he wanted to he wouldn't be able to come up with a technique specifically strong against them. Also, with the six element system, he could process things that have Qi from any of the elements in his system without accidentally causing his soul to implode or something.

(A big part of alchemy is making sure that the ingredients don't have qi in them that the recipient can't handle. Or at least not too much. That's what impurities and pill toxins are.)

15. mugnter

mugnter Getting sticky.

Ah good, I'll go edit it in then

16. Scott

Scott Getting sticky.

Character
    [X] Feng Shi
    [X] Body
    -[X] six elements cultivation system (light, fire, water, earth, air, darkness)
    -[X] Fire

Actions:
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Explore realm

first time doing a riot quest so let me know if I did anything wrong

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  17. Kingmally

Kingmally Not too sore, are you?

Character
    [X] Yang Chen
    [X] Qi Cultivation
    -[X] Five Elements System
    -[X] Fire

Actions:
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Explore Realm

18. Hangwind

Good news everyone! I get to explain how being wounded works next turn and it's going to be interactive for a lot of you!

[​IMG]

LinkOnScepter, Kingmally and Negation like this.
  19. mugnter

mugnter Getting sticky.

who died?

20. Hangwind

No one. Actually, there was only one person that actually got in danger of it, and something else happened there.

But there is going to be a lot of healing needed this coming turn.

21. Vanestus

Vanestus Versed in the lewd.

Character:
    [X] Xue Dongmei
    -[X] Body
    -[X] Three Weapons Body Cultivation
    --[X] Spear

Actions:
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Train Basic Armed Styles
    [X] Explore realm

22. LinkOnScepter

LinkOnScepter Versed in the lewd.

About my character and choice of Dao, does it actually work?

Technically, Justice is not one of the Seven Virtues in Christianity. Mainly cause it doesn't have an opposite Sin, unless you count Vengeance.

So, does it still work?

23. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Long Faction
    [​IMG]

Long is the Chinese word for dragon. Whenever a genius is praised, he is said to be a dragon among men, or sometimes a dragon among snakes. In every story the dragon is a symbol of unbridled power, the strongest and wisest of them all, with endless life and domion over the elements of nature.

The Long faction is founded on the principal of "always be yourself, unless you can be a dragon, then always be a dragon". It is expected that when picking a Dao name that members of this faction replace their clan name with Long to indicate their commitment to the cause of becoming a fellow Dragon, although it is not an absolute rule. The faction founder is Long Tea.

The faction shares its research freely with the sect, and is willing to trade research with passing visitors, so long as they themselves have useful research to contribute.
    At its foundation lies the Twelve Animals Body Cultivation (Chinese Zodiac) with a focus specifically on the dragon chapter, with an intent to extract and refine the essence of dragon dao from that art.

As very long term goals is the hope to create a set of variant techniques that marge it with the classic five elements of chinese qi cultivation. Such that you have a body-qi system where each aspiring dragon chooses 1 of the elements to commit to and cultivate alongside the zodiac based dragon. And/or also merge in some aspects of beast cultivation to have physical transformation to go along with the mystical and create an ever more perfect dragon.

How it all begun.
    Tea looked blankly at Lord Qi e and racked his brain to try and grasp the joke he just made, eventually asking his fellow sect mates if they can explain. Eventually learning it was a joke about penguins, a flightless bird that lives in places so cold that no mortal human can survive in them. He shrugged and threw it to the back of his mind, time to focus on what he came here for, the chance to cultivate.

To become immortal, to become rich, to become powerful, to become more beautiful, to become a living god. Tea eagerly rushed towards the sect's library the moment he was permitted too, with a spring in his step and a twinkle of hope in his eye. The library had a strong and unique scent of books, a bit overwhelming to a commoner like him As he stepped into the library he couldn't help but note the strong scent of books and scrolls. He is no illiterate peasant, but even still he has never seen so many books before, such opulance and wealth only reaffirms his decision to come and join the sect.

The time it takes to burn an incense stick later... Tea is going through scroll after scroll. Already the table he commandered is surrounded by a small pile of them. He skims each one in the hope of finding something that really suits him. He picks up a green book with golden cover. it shows a 12 sided polygon with the words "The Zodiac Body Cultivation System". He does not expect much at first, but as he starts reading he becomes intrigued and then enthralled.

Memories rise up in his mind unbidden... "Finally, it is my turn to play the dragon" says Shi Jou, "Nuh uh, I want to play the dragon this time" counters Mi Ling. "You were the dragon last time, and Shi Jou 3 times ago. I think it is most fair that I get to be the dragon this time" said Tao Zie. The friends would always banter over who gets to play the dragon. How could they not, the dragon is the mightest, most majestic. There is a reason genius is called being a dragon among men.

With a sigh Tea focuses on the present again. Could he? nothing is stopping him... With a smile Tea picks the Twelve Animals Body Cultivation as his primary art. He will reforge his body with the aid of this technique. He will master the dragon zodiac and become an avatar of unbridled power, he will become A Dragon. It is at that moment that Tea decides what his dao name will be. He will abandon his old clan name and instead take on the new clan name of Long. From now on he shall be known as Long Tea.

He carefully carries the book in his left hand while using his right to organize the rejected scrolls back where they belong. It would not due to be impolite, and settles at a comfortable chair at a nearby study room to finish reading his chosen book. The future is looking bright now... Several incense sticks later. As he finishes reading he wears a pensive expression. This technique can guide him in cultivation the Dao of the Dragon, but it seems woefully incomplete. Where is the control over the elements of nature? where is the way to change his physical body from a human into a dragon?

A bit disheartened he steels his resolve and gingerly approaches lord Qi e to ask for advice. Tea is very happy he did so. The lord was quite understanding and assured him his dreams were a possibility. But it won't be easy, what he described sounds more like a synergistic combination of beast dao, dragon dao, and water dao. It would lilkely be the work of generations of cultivators, each researching and refining the techniques to expand on them and marry together those different daos. He should start out from one and work towards others. Dragon would be the hardest starting point... but it is also the one most clearly associted with his goal and if he starts with an easier path he might becomy mighty, yet not actually become a dragon in his lifetime.

It is with a heavy heart that he sits down to think. Should he give up? If only he had an inheritance from a group of seniors that had done that research before... a group, like a bolt of lightning it strikes him. He needs a group. Why must he research alone when surely others are interested too in becoming literal dragons among men? Many hands make light work, surely if he found enough like minded individuals their research will progress much faster. It is with a spring in his step that he begins to search for fellow Daoists to join the newly imagined Long faction. The future is looking bright

WGDragoon, LinkOnScepter and Hangwind like this.
  24. Ckxsl023

Ckxsl023 Know what you're doing yet?

Character:
    [X] 黑豬 Hei Zhu (Black Bamboo)
    -[X] Body
    -[X] Eight Transformations Cauldron Buddha Pill Body
    -[X] Twelve Animals Body Cultivation (Chinese Zodiac)
    --[X] Pig-Focus (if that's possible)
    ---[X] Dao of Alchemy

Actions:
    [X] Cultivate
    [X] Explore Realm
    [X] Gather Alchemy Reagents / Train Alchemy
    [X] Train Movement Technique

Basically the goal of the cultivation method is to turn your body into the perfect Alchemy cauldron. Allowing the cultivator to ingest herbs and etc. And turn them into pills through some mystic method. Basically, alchemy reagents go into one hole then pills come out of some other esoteric hole lmao. Also the cultivation method turns u into a fat Buddha, doesnt matter if u a guy or a girl.

Is this okay? I would have given more detail but it might not be approved idk.

Edit: i found the informational section

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    mrttao likes this.
  25. Extras: Character Sheets
    Hangwind

Characters

Ho Chi Min
    Wounds: 79/100
    Cultivation
    Soul
    Seven Virtues (???)
    Mortal 191
    Skills
    Armed Combat 92
    Movement technique N/A (Cursed)

Lo Kwan Lam
    Wounds: 39/100
    Cultivation
    Body
    Five Deadly Venoms (All)
    Mortal 225
    Skills
    Fist Technique 25
    Movement technique 40

Fei Gao
    Wounds: 0/100
    Cultivation
    Soul
    Five Beast Kingdoms (All)
    Mortal 183
    Skills
    Fist Technique 84
    Movement Technique 90

Lei Ying Lo
    Cultivation
    Qi
    Taiji Dao (Yin and Yang)
    -Boundary of Yin and Yang: When using this Dao, roll 2d100. If the results are close, gain a combat bonus.
    Mortal 212
    Skills
    Alchemy 119
    -Support of the Heavens 1: Instead of merely mixing ingredients, this alchemist has learned to use the surrounding Qi to support the effects his pills and elixirs. +10 to effectiveness of this Alchemist's creations.
    -Basic Alchemy 1: Can make the most basic forms of healing and cultivation medicines.
    Movement Technique 83

Long Tea
    Cultivation
    Body
    Twelve Animals (Dragon)
    Mortal 209
    Skills
    Fist Technique 86
    Movement Technique 80

Jake Yong
    Cultivation
    Body
    Twelve Animals Cultivation
    Mortal 226
    Skills
    Fist Technique 112
    -Basic Fist Technique 1: Gain a small bonus to Combat
    Movement Technique 56

Meng Lee
    Wounds: 78/100
    Cultivation
    Soul
    Six Elements Cultivation (Darkness)
    Mortal 158
    Skills
    Stealth Technique 54
    Movement Technique 106
    -Basic Movement Technique 1: Gain a tiny bonus to Exploration, Combat, and Retreat rolls.

Feng Shi
    Wounds: 80/100
    Cultivation
    Body
    Six Elements Cultivation (Fire)
    Mortal 284
    Skills
    Fist Technique 84

Yang Chen
    Wounds: 40/100
    Cultivation
    Qi
    Five Elements (Fire)
    Mortal 206
    Skills
    Fist Technique 104
    -Basic Fist Technique 1: Gain a small bonus to Combat
    Movement Technique 80

Hei Zhu
    Cultivation
    Body
    Twelve Animals Cultivation (Boar)
    Mortal 236
    Skills
    Alchemy 83
    Movement Technique 66

Xue Dongmei
    Cultivation
    Body
    Three Weapons Cultivation (Spear)
    Mortal 228
    Skills
    Armed Combat 77
    Movement Technique 84

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  26. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Long Tea.
    I initially sorta misspelled it. (both are valid but Long is considered the more standard spelling, while lung a variant spelling)
    Sorry about that.
    What do those numbers mean?

27. Hangwind

Fair.

They're your training advancement. Higher is better. Of course, I haven't actually told you "out of what".

Ckxsl023, Kingmally and mrttao like this.
  28. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Thank you for clarifying.

29. Xanthe38

Xanthe38 Well worn.

Sacrifices must be made for the improvement of the Sect, But I still must strive for my own improvement!

mrttao likes this.
  30. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Not sure if this means I am doing well or not. At least I am not injured.

mrttao likes this.