1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I highly recommend it! One of the best representations of Lex I've ever read; it shows him as both intelligent, ruthless, and pragmatic, as well as what someone of his described ability should be capable of.

And honestly one of the best endings for a DC fic I've found, in that it ties off all the plot lines, counts as a happy ending, but still leaves tension and drama remaining for any potential sequel or reader imagination.

2. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

I dont think it was mentioned, but I would consider that common sense. It would be ludicrous if other planets or empires could wage war without the Reach retaliating.

Of course I dont think Paul would count as a representative of Earth as he has no actual authority in any government. He is barely even a Justice League affiliate at this point who could maybe be considered as representatives of Earth in galactic politics.

If someome like Paul could count, the Reach could easily bait various figures into attacking and then using it as casus belli.

Of course it is somewhat grey, so I could see the Reach arguing it. But if they win that legal battle the prize is going to Earth and... yeah.

Gilhelmi, Ardy, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  3. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

What is Inviolate Lex? I dont recall that from before unless it was maybe a Paulternate story I didnt pay attention to.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I think he's referring to Paul.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Inviolate is a fanfic that is more than a little popular. It's where those Gold Lanterns from the Crisis of Infinite Pauls came from.

6. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how you properly bully Maxx Crowley. Good job!

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's the only way the system could potentially work.

Otherwise the Green Lanterns could just feed a planet technology through a fully deniable third party and have that planet wage a war against the Reach where the Reach wouldn't be able to touch them in return without violating the agreement with the Green lanterns.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, buildings that aren't literally made of cardboard and plaster. The aforementioned shields are a good idea, too. Probably not going to withstand a concerted orbital assault with KKV or projected-energy bombardments, but if they've got the luxury of orbital domination they need to do that, you're probably in bad shape anyway...

Ah, Wonder Woman's counterpart of Lex. I take it she's not in full antagonistic stage yet with Diana, though.

A surprisingly compassionate way to look at it, Grayven. Looks like the pony therapy's been having some good side effects, eh?

I suspect every nation you placed one in would have pointed questions about what the machinery was for. Never mind what the League's opinion will be on it...

Yes, being a great deal like you is probably a bad thing in this case. Given the extremes each of them would go to in other universes to tear down their chosen nemesis, especially...

Indeed. Perhaps Lex can convince her not to judge herself by comparison to a costumed clown known more for punching villains in the face than for the (at this point, modest) diplomatic and humanitarian activities...

So, high ceilings and wide doors? Nice to see him thinking ahead. No doubt there are plenty of concealed security measures too, such as shutters, defensive turrets and instant chest-high walls...

Any chance to poke the Luthor, eh, Graven? This promises to be very interesting, given the speculation as to which alternate Lex this might be....

Yes, if this is 'Inviolate' Lex, I suspect he's not got the best opinion of any alien species... Especially Apokaliptians or Spectrum-users.

Yes, well, not all Lexes are equal in appearance, you know. consider the Silver Age's slightly pudgy super-omnidisiplinary-scientist Lex to some of the more muscular models out there...

Ah, the classic Grayven response. Be pleasant and friendly, but keep a weapon close at hand.

Well, I can see how bad that might look without context... But if you'd spent any time on the internet in the last few weeks, you;d probably have found the references to them stopping an 'alien' invasion...

I mean, such a thing might well be interesting in this Lex, given his successes. Maybe looking to find out how he managed it without Superheroic interference... :p I see other Lex also follows the Grayven school of diplomacy.

And that more or less confirms it as 'Inviolate' Lex. Will, but not green light.

Well, if you can't trust yourself, who can you trust, hmm?

Hardly needed to sneak in to do that, if that's all you wanted...

Why not settle into the neutral position between them, then? You're big enough that any standing position qualifies as looming anyway... :D

Oh, Mother Box... You couldn't have mentioned that sooner?

Honestly, G-man, that doesn't sound threatening at all. :rolleyes: If this goes ploin-shaped, I'm blaming you.

To be fair, I suspect the Security Council is in a more welcoming mood given the recent Sheeda affair. While they're not in Paragon-Earth's position, they did get hit hard by the initial attacks...

Yes, well, this Lex has a number of good reasons for not doing that. Most of them are related to Grayven, you'll note. Amusingly, he's become something of a morality binder to Lex, hasn't he?

Ah, if only. But humans are so contrarian, they'll inevitably do the opposite of what you tell them to, just on principle, without the threat of retribution...

Not easily done with this trio of movers and shakers...

And there's enough oversight on those sort of folks to make sure that those ends aren't as easily accomplished as they'd hope, I bet.

Ah, Lex, you're learning. You'll make a fine Orange Lantern someday... Though I doubt Grayven would ever allow that unless the end of the Universe threatens...

Hmm... Fallout from the plot of 'Involate', or after-effects of the Crisis of Pauls? I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Well, this has gone kinda recursive. Fanfiction of a fanfiction! Grayven's timeline seems to be a catch-all for multiversal travellers, doesn't it? More than Paragon's, at any rate. Still.. on the whole, it promises to be interesting... ;)

Godspeech!

9. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, Doppel-Lexi's heart is on the left?

Does that just mean Grayven Lexi is different or that all people in Grayven's Paralel have the heart on the right?

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe, though it could also be just pure pragmatism, since people being scared could be chaotic and messy.

Yeah, sometimes a person being like you is not good for a relationship.

Opposites attract is fairly true.

Diana is also a veteran of one of the most brutal wars in history, has saved the planet multiple times, is extremely charismatic, has most likely advanced the cause of gender equality and women's rights due to her presence etc.

There are a lot of reasons to be jealous of her.

Actually he may just not like Maltusians.

He lost the prejudice he had for Supes and seemed to be friendly with Sinestro.

Hell he actually helped create a Lantern Corps and helped the Green Lanterns.

True, but he may suspect that they did what Bishop did in TMNT.

That being fake an alien invasion to win support.

It's a very Luthor thing to do.

I see him more as 'I'm gonna squish your head if you go bad' guy.

11. Oglymogly

It was mentioned very early on in this fix that WtR Lex (and most parallel Lex's) have a very rare condition of having all of his organs mirrored (so his liver is on his left, for instance.)

Also, for reference, "mirror" verses -like the one Blue Paul is from- are distinguished by everyone having this condition. Causing their Lex to be 'normal' by our standards. I believe this is canon from the animated movies.

12. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Double Lex! OMG!

Double Luther all the way across the sky!

Hahaha so intense!

Xelloss likes this.
  13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It amuses me greatly that Grayven thinks the Sheeda are dealt with given he didn't finish off the King Sheeda guy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wish we could see a whole chapter with Paul in one of the Marvel Universes, just to see how he'd turn things around for human-mutant relations.

Cuchulin, Alexandercctv and Darko like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was that chapter where he told Magneto about Sublime, so it looks like one way of improving relations is going to be by getting rid of that bacterial menace.

16. Laundromat2.0

Laundromat2.0 Getting sticky.

I don't know who Maxx Crowley is, but I did think of one more thing to add to that post:

And then, when all else is said and done, 'What do you mean, their army has become five times larger overnight? Rapid cloning tech? No, that doesn't...'

'Sir, we think they may have supplemented their own forces with...' Reach officer looks back down at his datapad, but no, it's still just as absurd as before, 'alternate versions of themselves from multiple timelines. Several seem to be both from another timeline AND from the future, so there's that, too.'

In all honestly though, if Earth properly embraced multiple timeline tech, the possibilities for planetary defense would be huge. Imagine if, at any time, you could concentrate all the superhuman manpower from multiple timelines into one timeline for a short period. Unless all Earth continuities were attacked simultaneously, they would all be able to move toward the Earth in need. Imagine five versions of superman pummeling Darkseid at the same time.

It'd be a bit more of a Worm Post-Gold Morning situation, with multiple timelines all interacting with each other regularly.

17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He brainwashed him. Which so far seems to be permanent.

18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't remember this.
    Yes, that's what I was referring to.

19. Oglymogly

I suppose it's me being a late night ditz then. Sorry for mixing up fics!

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I remember it too. But could have confused fics with inviolate

Oglymogly likes this.
  21. Oglymogly

Funnily enough, this chapter inspired me to do a quick reread of Inviolate, so I'll let you know!

22. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

???

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  23. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Time trapper drastically changing how the multiverse works could have done it.

Gilhelmi, Wheenesss, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  24. Lokpik

Lokpik Know what you're doing yet?

I have a question. Has paul awoken Lex Luthor and if so what is his domain. We are starting to see some interesting abilities from grayven and other new gods using their domains.

25. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. Lex is being surprisingly puritanican about rejecting such direct alien help.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, renegade hasn't Awoken Lex.

Lokpik likes this.
  27. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

It's a reference to the warhammer 40k universe, the Ciaphas Cain novels in particular. They're basically Blackadder in SPAAACE. Thus they use some rather interesting lexicon for insults and phrases. While GW's fiction hasn't quite entered public domain nearly as much as say, star trek, it does get around.

40k phrase 'Going Ploin Shaped' -> British phrase 'Going Pear Shaped' = Things going horribly wrong.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, that was Paragon, Grayvon just blasted him, which didn't take because immortal.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  29. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What's that? I vaguely remember a fanfic that has Lex as its main character and where it turns out that all of the insanity of the various human geniuses turns out to be Guardian induced. Is that Inviolate?

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep.

Cuchulin likes this.