1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Player in the Force (SW/Lite Gamer)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by USSExplorer, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Septaemus Meridaeus

Septaemus Meridaeus Making the rounds.

Is this where Cam (and possibly Serra) gets Durasteel Mandalorian Armour -until he does his Verd'Goten then he gets Beskar, I know he is to get the Jedi Armour from the old republic era, that was just a thought of mine- and also Westar 35 or similar Mandalorian weaponary like the Westar M5

Amanofmanytentacles and Ryden1 like this.
  2. Amanofmanytentacles

Amanofmanytentacles Cthulhu’s apprentice

Wait, If this is all happening before the Phantom Menace. Does this mean that (The Tragedy of) Darth Plagueis The Wise is still around?

Ame likes this.
  3. Zendrelax

Zendrelax "All yours. I think it always was. Welcome home."

I would guess not. Sidious probably killed him a long time ago.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  4. Septaemus Meridaeus

Septaemus Meridaeus Making the rounds.

Sidious apparently killed Darth Plagueis (Hego Damask II of the BankingClan) the before or of his election to supreme chancellor apparently as the plan was for Hego to be the vice chancellor or chairman second to palpatine and for them to rule together (getting rid of the apprentice kills the master thing the sith had going on, though clearly that didn't happen, also apparently there was more sith masters and apprentices in hiding as one thing for exceptional sith apprentices or acolytes to stand out was to fight to the death any other apprentice from other masters (though I don't know if that's fandom or canon)

Ame and Otto von Saurion like this.
  5. USSExplorer

USSExplorer Doing what's necessary, even if it causes chaos

Thanks for spotting that.
    Sometimes there's a fight to get the spoilers to work right. This time I used the bullet points to link rewards with objectives, but it seems to have screwed up the spacing.
    Guess I'll have to try something else next time ;)

6. USSExplorer

I doubt they'd get full sets of armour. The High Council would probably go apeshit if Jedi starting doing that (and they'd be concerned Cam was becoming Tarre Viszla 2.0) but I can see them getting at least something to mark their time on Mandalore.
    And I'm a fan of the Westar 35, so Cam may well end up learning to use one while there

As Septaemus Meridaeus said, Plagueis is still around and is only killed during the events on Episode 1. Maybe Cam can meet him before then, who knows ;)

7. Threadmarks: Teh Adiik At Mando’ade 3
    USSExplorer

Thanks to blaze1992 for some quest concepts and spit-balling ideas.
    To the backroom group for their help with SW related issues, arc ideas and betaing the chapter
    To WarriorsCre3d for creating a custom image for the story.

A/N: Yup. 2 chapters inside a week. It's a Christmas miracle :p
    Wherever you are, try to enjoy the new year, and see you'll in 2021.
    Also, this chapter takes the actual story passed 250k words. WOOHOO!

Current date: 5 years until the Invasion of Naboo

I watched silently as Bo easily blocked a punch from Serra by trapping the other girl’s arm against her body. She then pivoted hard, which resulted in Serra stumbling forwards, then pushed down on the trapped arm with her free hand.

Serra, with one arm trapped by Bo, had no recourse as Bo forced her down to the ground then placed her knee down on Serra’s neck with enough force that my fellow Padawan grimaced.

“Two-zero to Bo,” I called out.

Bo gave me another glare at shortening her name but said nothing as she released her grip on Serra and stepped backwards while Serra growled and punched the mat in anger.

[Focus. Giving in to that anger, letting it control you means you’ll lose sight of what you’re trying to do.] I said telepathically to Serra and I watched her take a deep breath and the flaring anger I sensed from her began to lessen. [Better. True strength comes not from the quick and easy, but from hard work and dedication.]

Serra gave the barest of nods to indicate that she heard and understood my words and I turned my attention to Bo, who was glaring at me still after my usage of the contracted form of her name.

Thanks to an agreement that we’d come to until she was able to defeat me in a spar, I would be free to keep calling her by the nickname. And since she had failed to score more than a few points against me in several dozen spars, I didn’t expect to lose that privilege any time soon.

“Serra, you need to not telegraph your attacks,” I offered to my friend verbally along with reassurance through the Force. “Bo’s been learning close quarters combat for as long as you’ve been training with a lightsaber.”

“So why can you beat her then?” Serra snapped back, though there was no real anger in her tone, suggesting she was anger more at herself than my commentary.

“Wasn’t it you who told me Cameron was special?” Bo countered with her own question as she reached her starting position and adopted a stance from Beskar’pel. Serra, after quietly talking to herself and schooling her expression, adopted a similar stance, though I spotted a flaw.

“Serra, widen your stance,” I called out and even in her current mood, she listened and shifted her rear foot back enough so that she was in the base stance of the style. “Good. Begin.”

As the two began again, I considered why it was that I was watching the pair spar for what was the sixty-third time since I had arrived on Mandalore.

It had only been just over two local weeks since our arrival, meeting with Duke Adonai and Pre Vizsla and dinner with their combined families. Though those two weeks here were closer to three in galactic terms and this shift between local and galactic calendars was something that happened every time we travelled to a new world. And this difference in planetary time systems was something that always brought a small smile to my lips as it always reminded me that I was now living in a different galaxy.

Since our arrival on-planet and the dinner with the Kryze and Vizsla families, we had been the guests of the Duke in Sundari and it was currently one of the two major breaks in education that occurred on Mandalore. By a quirk of the Force, Satine was currently on a break from the Coruscant Academy for Government and Diplomacy, which was why she was on Mandalore when we arrived instead of the capital of the Republic.

The day after our arrival, the Duke had arranged a small training area for us to use. As with the conference room where we had first waited, and our assigned quarters, I had examined the room with Force Sight and as with our quarters, it appeared to be clean from any sort of recording devices.

Later that very day, while Serra and I were going through another training session for her in Makashi, Bo-Katan and Naz had shown up. They had been sent by their fathers – and with the permission of Fay and Dooku – to get to know us better. While that made sense since the two would be our main points of contact while on Mandalore, I had easily sensed Serra’s apprehension and suspicion at the two elder girls wanting to spend time with us.

Upon seeing that Serra and I were sparring, Naz had suggested that we spar together as it would help build familiarity between us. The initial spars had been unbalanced as I was able to use the Force to dominate the others, while Serra was able to hold her own against the pair.

As such, we had both promised to not actively use the Force while sparring. This hadn’t changed the fact I was still superior at hand-to-hand than the others, but it had resulted in Serra dropping to last in our little group.

While she did not let that get her down – indeed, she was the one who sparred the most – Serra had been visibly uncomfortable when Bo had physically helped her with her posture and positioning. I hadn’t brought it up with Serra, but what I sensed from her when Bo touched her was the same as what I’d sensed during dinner. Perhaps she was just unused to the attention from others or was uneasy with being close to others she didn’t know. Regardless of why it was, she’d grown more accepting of the help, even if Naz’s teasing still embarrassed her.

After I had dominated the Force-free spars with Naz and Bo, I had hoped that they would not wish to spar with me so much. However, the opposite had occurred and in retrospect it made sense. Especially when I considered my words about real Mandalorians having to prove themselves against stronger opponents. It also explained why they were so accommodating of Serra’s constant need to spar as they saw it as her challenging herself to become stronger.

Since the pair wouldn’t back off in challenging me, I had taken to calling Bo-Katan ‘Bo’ verbally instead of just mentally and I now called Naz ‘Little-Nia’. I had promised that I’d stop calling them those nicknames once the managed to defeat me, but with Serra challenging them more than they could challenge me, and the advantages I had from my stats, carried over skills, and skill growth, the chances on the pair getting me to stop using the nicknames before my verd’goten were slim.

Naz had taken the teasing via a nickname far better than Bo at first, Bo had reluctantly grown to accept my usage of her nickname. Serra had been annoyed that I gave the pair nicknames – which I had to admit wasn’t unexpected, but at least she hadn’t been out and out angry about them – and she had tried to use them as well.

Neither Mandalorian was willing to accept the nickname from someone they deemed as weaker – even if she was my friend – but told Serra that the day she beat one of them, she could use the appropriate nickname until she lost again. Sadly, with the current disparity in skills, Serra had the same chance of getting to use the nicknames as Bo and Naz had in getting me to stop using them. And even if she had a few years on-planet, I doubted Serra would be able to take down Bo. While younger than Naz, the redhead was easily the superior fighter and if not for my advantages, I doubt I could take her down in a spar.

Though, to give the girl her due, she wasn’t going to stop trying. Hence why this was her sixty-third spar with Bo, to go along with forty-seven spars with Naz.

When there wasn’t a hand-to-hand spar going on, Serra and I spent the rest of our time in this room training with our lightsabers. Bo and Naz were more than happy to just watch those spars, though I also suspected they were trying to develop strategies for countering Jedi in combat. Because of the sizable disparity in skill, most of that time wound up with me taking the role of instructor, as I was still teaching Serra the basics of Makashi along with general tricks and combos for hand-to-hand combat.

When I wasn’t in this room sparring, coaching or teaching, I had spent a fair amount of time with the heirs to Clans Kryze and Vizsla, Dorgo and Tor.

The two older boys were both curious about the time I had come from; specifically, what I remembered or had heard about Revan and the Mandalorians. While I suspected that Tor was doing this under orders from his father as much as for his love of history, I saw nothing wrong with him learning about history – or at least my personal spin on it.

Dorgo was less enthusiastic about what I knew, but still asked questions. And where Tor’s were more about the history of when I come from, Dorgo’s were about what Mandalorians had been like back then. From what additional usage of Observe told me about the pair, both Dorgo and Tor were slowly losing loyalty to the New Mandalorian and Death Watch factions, respectively. Which was something I felt would be a good thing in the long run.

Satine, in a rather unexpected twist – but one that I was hopeful would temper her more… extreme views – had spent a few hours every day with Fay. I didn’t know what they were speaking of specifically, but Serra – who had sat-in on a few of the discussions – had let me know that they were mainly discussing how to balance ideals and avoid going too far to one extreme or the other. She didn’t elaborate beyond that, but I suspected that Fay was planting the idea of what I felt about balance into Serra while working to – I hope – show Satine why the ideals of the New Mandalorians were just as flawed as those of Death Watch.

Dooku generally kept to himself, though I had seen him a few times speaking with Duke Adonai quietly after meals and also caught him in conversation with Fay several evenings. I never knew what those talks were about, but I hoped that they were helping Dooku deal with his feelings of failure regarding Galidraan.

I was drawn out of my thoughts as the doors opened with their usual swish-hiss sound, and I turned to see Naz step into the room.

She gave me a nod then rolled her eyes at seeing Bo and Serra sparring.

“Again?” She asked once she was close enough. Though thankfully, she didn’t step too close.

She had toned down her behaviour since the dinner, which was a relief. Having a teenager show interest in me was only slightly less unsettling than having someone just shy of being a teenager show interest.

“Your girl’s getting better,” Naz commented as Serra blocked a kick from Bo and used the momentum of doing so to launch a counterattack. While that attack missed, the counterattack was something Serra wouldn’t have even thought about a few weeks ago.

“Yeah,” I replied as Bo managed to clip Serra’s leg, but was unable to land the winning blow as Serra quickly rolled away, again using Bo’s attack to guide and power her movements.

“She sure is flexible,” Naz added as she gently hit her shoulder against my arm. “Imagine how good she’ll be once she’s a little older.”

I ignored that comment.

Since Serra had started to challenge Naz and Bo, Naz had countered by beginning to flirt with Serra much as she had done with me when we’d first arrived. While those flirtations had been dialled back with me – either because I didn’t rise to them, or someone told her to – they had stayed constant with Serra.

Bo had also shifted to more verbal comments as Serra became comfortable with the physical contact. And their combined efforts were affecting my friend.

It was easy for me to sense Serra’s confusion about the comments and attention, and while she tried her best to ignore it – save for her face doing regular impressions of a tomato and/or her eyes bulging out – I had begun to sense that she was beginning to enjoy the attention. Though the confusion remained.

“She really doesn’t give up, does she?” Naz stated, seemingly trying to draw me into conversation. And since this one was not laced with any obvious innuendo, I responded.

“Once she sets a goal, Serra is very determined about achieving it.”

Naz chuckled. “That’s a good trait to have. And she does not shy away from combat. She’d make a fine Mandalorian, as would you.” I gave her a sideways glance, which she replied to with a smirk and wink.

We both turned our attention back to the spar, and Naz sighed. “But she’s not even ready to take me on, never mind Bo.” Naz had adopted the nickname I had given Bo-Katan not long after hearing me use it.

“She knows, but she still tries.”

“I believe there’s a saying about trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?”

I chuckled at that. Hearing that the expression existed here as well was amusing and comforting.

“There is but remember that Serra’s not actively trying to use the Force. If she did, she could likely now take the pair of you down in seconds.”

“Only if we let her prepare,” Naz retorted as she lifted her chin high and adopted a firmer stance. “We have trained since birth to fight Jedi.”

“I thought we were all members of the Republic?” I said with another chuckle. “And just because you’ve trained to fight us, doesn’t mean you can win.”

“You think so?” Naz asked as she turned to face me.

“I know so,” I replied with a smirk as I played into her pride and determination. Nothing wrong with friendly teasing, so long as it was only that. “I’ve beaten both you and Bo without actively using the Force.”

“Ah, but we’re going easy on you,” Naz retorted, her hands coming to rest on her hips as our eyes locked. “No way you could take us on if we went all out. Or worked together.”

I stifled a laugh at the bravado and opened my mouth to respond.

“Oof!”

My attention, and that of Naz’s, returned to the spar and we saw the Bo had forced Serra to the ground while controlling one of her arms via a simple armbar.

“Point and match to Bo,” I called out just as the girl in question lowered herself onto Serra’s stomach, her knees either side of my fellow Padawan.

“I-I’m not out,” Serra replied weakly, only to grunt as Bo twisted her arm.

“Serra…” my voice deepened, and she sighed.

“Fine! G-get off me.”

Bo leaned forward and whispered something into Serra’s ear. I could’ve used Enhance Sense to hear what was said, but the way Serra’s face instantly turned the colour of a Sith lightsaber made me glad that I hadn’t.

As the pair stood – with Serra cautiously accepting a hand up from Bo even while her face continued to look like it was on fire – Naz stepped towards them.

“Cameron here thinks he can take us both on in full-contact,” Pre’s daughter said loudly.

Bo’s eyes narrowed as her head snapped around to look at me. “Big words from a small boy.”

Even as I saw Serra’s eyes drill into the back of Bo’s head, I laughed. “Nothing small about me princess.”

Bo’s lips twitched and she stepped forward until we were almost nose to nose. “Then put up or shut up.”

I felt my brow rise as I smiled. “Hmm?”

“Let’s make this fun,” Naz said as she stepped back into my sightline and placed an arm over Serra’s shoulders. Which resulted in my fellow Padawan’s cheeks regaining their lost redness.

“The three of us against you. If we win, then you have to do whatever we say for a whole day – and that’s one day for each of us – once you’ve passed your trials.”

Naz’s eyes seem to dance over my body as she suggested the terms, while Bo allowed a smile to spread across her lips. Serra, well she looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights even as the colour in her cheeks drained rapidly and I sensed worry, excitement and confusion rolling off her in waves.

“And when I win?” I asked, stressing that I knew I would even as I casually unclipped my lightsaber and placed it beside where Serra’s main blade was sitting. The smaller shoto was back in our quarters as I was making a few… adjustments to it.

Naz shrugged. “Same. You can command each of us for a day.” She replied with a wink. “We’ll do anything you say. Anything.” She finished with a lick of her lips.

Ignoring the complete lack of subtlety in that suggestion, I replied. “Winner is the last one standing.”
    “Deal.”

“Uh, I, um…” Serra began only for Bo and Naz to pull her to the far side of the room.

[Cameron, is everything alright?] Fay asked mentally.

[Yes, Master. Serra and I are just sparring with our hosts.]

[Ah. How is Serra?]

I bit my lips to avoid letting a chuckle escape me as I saw Bo and Naz pull the girl in question in close so they could whisper a plan. I also noted that both Mandalorians were staying very close to my friend. They weren’t touching her – likely because they were taking the upcoming spar seriously – but they were in so close that I could sense Serra’s confusion and worry growing rapidly.

Still, I turned away and let them plan.

[She’s fine. Our hosts are just being… very friendly with her.]

A burst of amusement came across the bond as Fay spoke mentally once more. [Very well. Have fun. Though do be mindful of the feelings of others.]

[Yes, Master.] I replied as I felt Fay withdraw from the telepathic conversation.

Fay had spoken with me a few nights ago about how Serra was handling the interest shown in her and me by the two Mandalorian girls. And while Fay trusted that I would be able to handle things suitably enough, she was concerned that our fellow Jedi would struggle.

I’d promised to keep an eye on her and step in if I felt the local pair got out of hand, but honestly, I saw nothing wrong in what was happening and felt that, in the long run, it would benefit Serra to face such emotions now instead of later.

I had also noted that Serra’s obvious interest in me had, if not dissipated, at least been brought under control. And while that was likely a result of us receiving ‘The Talk’ – and possibly her talks with Fay – I had also been more careful of my actions around her.

In retrospect, I easily saw that simple gestures like placing a finger to her lips to silence her had enflamed her feelings and I was actively keeping a safe distance between us. Thankfully, Serra hadn’t picked up on this, or if she had, there’d been no reaction to it. I did, however, wonder why I had done such things in the first place.

Mentally, I knew better than to initiate physical contact with someone who was interested in me, yet I had done still done so. I had no idea why I had, and nothing had appeared in the help sections of my Interface to suggest that the update had altered my body or mind to be more emotional/childish.

Yet it was clear when reviewing my actions around Serra, and others, that I had acted in ways that didn’t quite line up with how I would have if I was still an adult.

“Are you finished daydreaming?” Naz called out and I turned back to see all three were standing ready on the far side of the mat. While Bo and Naz looked confident, Serra was haemorrhaging worry through the Force. “Or do you need more time to imagine how badly we’ll beat you?”

I shook my head as a smile spread across my face. “Not imagining anything. Heck, I’m so confident, I’ll let you call the start.” I retorted as I adopted a base stance from my old life. Mentally I activated Bullet-Time and Force Speed.

While I could easily take out all three TK, I figured beating them badly without using the Force offensively was the more civilised approach. I planned to win, not beat them so badly they didn’t want to spar anymore.

“Begin,” Naz said with a smile still dancing on her lips.

The two Mandalorians moved forward together, Serra a step behind likely as support, as I felt my smile grow as I took a step forward moved to meet them.

……

“You wished to speak with us?” Dooku asked as I stepped out into the general area of our guest quarters within the palace.

“Yes, Master,” I replied as I took a seat at the table where he, Fay, and Serra were seating. While Fay and Dooku were calm and met my gaze, Serra wouldn’t. Likely this was because of the three-on-one spar, and the six rematches that had followed.

As I’d expected, I’d won rather handily every time and now each of the three owed me a week’s worth of servitude. While I had no intention of using that for anything nefarious, Naz had not been shy about offering suggestions about how they could serve me. Bo had laughed them off – either because she was well aware of Naz’s joking/flirtatious nature or she didn’t expect me to do take any of Naz’s words seriously – but Serra... well, she hadn’t taken the suggestions well.

Hence why she still refused to meet my gaze several hours later.

“Padawan?” Dooku asked again as I got caught up in my thoughts.

The topic I wanted to discuss was something I’d been thinking about for a while, but now that I had the chance to discuss it, I was… concerned. If I didn’t handle things correctly, then I ran the risk of revealing my more unusual powers. And while I trusted the trio, and I had a Trusted reputation with all of them, it was still a risk.

“Sorry, Master. I was just… thinking,” I paused and took a breath before using Observe on the table we were sitting around.

Fay and Dooku barely reacted, though they shared a glance, while Serra’s head snapped up and her eyes locked onto mine. That drew the attention of both my masters as both turned to look at my fellow Padawan.

“You all felt that?” I asked slowly.

“We did,” Dooku replied just as slowly. “And while Master Fay and I have sensed whatever you have been doing with the Force for several years, I must admit that I did not realise that Padawan Keto could also sense it.”

Serra gulped and broke eye contact. “Um, I… I started sensing it when Cam returned to the Temple last year.” She turned her attention back to me, though she refused to meet my gaze. “Though it was just after your spar with the Grandmaster that I was sure you were the source.”

“Hmm,” Dooku gently stroked his beard. “What made you sure it was Cameron that was the source?”

“He, uh, used the ability on Knight C’baoth and the Senator,” Serra replied only for her brow to crease. “Not sure why the Senator could sense it though.”

“Which Senator was this?” Dooku asked Serra, though his eyes were focused on me.

Serra’s eyes narrowed. “Palpatine.” I felt my brow rise at the resentment that came from her as she said his name. Both in her tone and through the Force.

“Indeed.” While Dooku was replying to her, his attention seemed to drill into my skull, and I wondered if he was remembering my rather blunt rejection of the idea of Sifo-Dyas reaching out to Palpatine just before we’d met Padmé.

While having Dooku suspicious of Palpatine was useful, having him beginning to suspect that there might be a link between the Senator and the Sith could be disastrous. While I had confidence in Dooku’s abilities with a lightsaber and suspected he could possibly match Sidious in a lightsaber-only duel, I doubted he would be able to take out the Sith Lord in a full battle.

Even if it was over a decade before Sidious grew in power to such a place that he was able to engage Windu and Yoda in combat and seemingly have a chance of winning, I was still concerned that the Sith may be too much for Dooku to handle. Sidious seemed to favour using the Force to win his fights instead of his lightsaber, from what I'd gathered during the few times Sidious had actually fought in The Clone Wars and the movies. And Dooku's skills in that area could be best described as ordinary for a Jedi Master; if such an oxymoron was permitted in this context.

“I think that was just because C’baoth turned as well,” I offered while glad that my thoughts and internal feelings were hidden by Telepathic Shield from my masters, even as I calmed my emotions so they couldn’t sense any worry or apprehension from me via our Force bonds. “He reacted to my action as well.”

Serra thought about it before shrugging. “Eh, maybe. I, I just don’t like the Senator.”

“Why do you say that?” Fay asked, though again I noted that her attention was more on me than Serra. Serra, however, didn’t notice as her attention returned to the table in front of her.

“Um, it felt like the Force was trying to warn me about him.” She paused and shrugged. “May-maybe it was just my, my emotions but… he felt… wrong. I, I didn’t want him near Cam.”

Serra’s eyes met mine for an instant, and her cheeks reddened as they did before she looked down at the table again. “I know he’s your friend, but I don’t like him.”

“He’s not really a friend,” I said with a small smile. “Just someone I’ve met that seems to have taken an… interest in me.”

“Indeed,” Dooku agreed. “While I have spent less time with the Senator since Cameron became our Padawan, what time we do spend together is often prefaced by him asking after you.” Dooku’s eyes locked onto mine. “Before, I felt the interest was, perhaps, a fraction too familial. Now, based on Padawan Keto’s comments, I wonder if his interest in Cameron is more than just casual.”

“Perhaps it still is, however when you add in Cameron’s comments regarding our… thoughts on the future, it does raise several questions that we need to address,” Fay added in agreement with her fellow Jedi Master. “And I suspect that this ability of Cameron’s will also play into this discussion.”

“Um, yes, Master,” I said before licking my lower lip.

I didn’t need to, but the brief pause gave me time to reorder my thoughts as this was not how I expected this reveal to go. Though I should have planned for Serra commenting on Sidious sensing my usage of Observe. More and more, the spar with Yoda and the aftermath was feeling like a disaster.

In the months before we’d left, several senior Knights and a handful of Jedi Masters had approached me to spar.

I had rejected all but a few of those offers, and of the dozen or so I’d accepted, I’d intentionally lost as many as I’d won. Oh, I felt I could’ve won almost all of them – bar the ones against Plo Koon and Giiett – but doing so would shatter what remained of my intended cover of being ‘just another Padawan’. Though I could admit that ever since I’d arrived at the Temple, that had been a flawed cover. Nothing about my growth in skills and Force abilities was in any way normal.

Based on my level – now at 23 – it was only a matter of time before I was promoted to Knight, though if I was in the High Council’s position, I would try to delay it for a few more years. Likely until I was sixteen at a minimum.

“Cameron?” Fay said drawing me out of my thoughts about the failure of my cover.

“Right, sorry. Um, well a few years ago I was curious if I could use the Force to sense details about people,” I began, quickly returning to my reveal of Observe. “And it worked...sort of. I mean, I can get an idea of how someone is feeling, what they think of me – in a very general sense that is – and an idea of their Force Potential.”

“Initiate Zill?” Dooku offered and I nodded.

“Yeah. I, um, I’ve been using the ability on anyone I could, though not senior Jedi Knights or Masters. It seems they can sense it.”

There was silence from the three as they considered my words and Fay and Dooku turned to look at each other. Likely they were engaged in a mental conversation about what I’d…

“What does it say about me?” Serra blurted out.

“Um,” I mumbled as I tried to think of how to phrase things without embarrassing her.

“Hmm, I admit I am curious about how this ability of yours works and what it would reveal about us as well,” Dooku stated and Fay nodded along.

“Okay,” I said slowly before doing as they wanted.
    Fay
    Race: Sephi-Human Hybrid
    Level: 50
    Health: 100%
    Force Potential: Very High
    Threat Potential: Very High
    Affiliation Loyalty: The Coalition (64%) Jedi Order (55%) Republic (43%)
    Emotional State: Curious
    Fay is curious to finally learn about your unique Force ability.
    She is also wondering how it works and if others could learn it.

??? Dooku
    Level: 38
    Race: Human
    Force Potential: Very High
    Threat Potential: High
    Affiliation Loyalty: The Coalition (68%) Jedi Order (51%) Republic (33%)
    Emotional State: Curious/Apprehensive
    Dooku is curious about how this ability of yours works.
    He also wonders if it could be used to root out threats to your plans.
    Though he is unsettled by how often concerns are raised about Senator Palpatine.

Serra Keto
    Level: 16
    Force Potential: High
    Threat Potential: Low
    Affiliation Loyalty: You (82%) Republic (64%) Jedi Order (62%)
    Emotional State: Curious/Concerned
    Serra wonders if she can learn this new power.
    Though she is worried it will reveal how she feels about you.
    And that she is feeling freer here than on Coruscant.
    Before you ask, we have decided to keep the surprise of what your Human Master’s given name is from you.
    We have done this because, truthfully, we would rather you earned the right to know it instead of cheating.
    And we don’t wish to spoil the moment when you do learn it.
    I frowned at the small notice from TPTB. Having them restrict information from me, even something as trivial as Dooku’s given name was concerning. However, since I was here at their choice, I had no choice but to accept their decision on the matter. Though honestly, I agreed that earning the right to know the name was better than just having it given to me.

“Ah, so that is what I felt all those years ago,” Fay commented as I used the power first on her.

“It… tingles?” Serra added slowly as she waggled her fingers as though trying to get feeling back into them.

“What does this power reveal about us?” Dooku asked, cutting straight to the topic.

“Um, well, you’re all curious about this ability of mine, but Master Dooku and Serra are both worried, though for different reasons. It also says you all have at least a high potential to use the Force,” I explained in vague terms. Explaining the full details of what Observe revealed was not something I planned to do anytime soon, if ever.

“Does it tell you anything else?” Fay asked cautiously as Serra seemed to shrink into herself.

“Um, it hints that, uh, you and Master Dooku would be… difficult to defeat in combat,” I added before shrugging, “Though I knew that already.”

Fay gave me a smile at the comment, while Dooku gave a fractional nod as I remembered the one time the pair had duelled with me present.

While Fay may not wield a lightsaber and was known more for her way with words more than her combat skills, the spar had not been the victory for Dooku that I had expected. Instead, Fay had shown several rather creative ways to use the Force to keep an armed opponent at distance and on the defensive before she was able to win the spar.

While none of what Fay did was new to me – or at least it didn’t result in the generation of new Force Powers – it did show me a few interesting ways to use the Force, particularly when Fay had created a Force illusion so convincing that Dooku had attacked it and exposed himself to an attack from Fay that neither of us sensed until she dropped the illusion.

That had me pushing Force Illusion further up the list of powers I planned to train while on Mandalore.

“Indeed,” Dooku said slowly. “I for one am glad that the mystery around this ability of yours has been explained.”

“Um, Master Dooku, why are you and Master Fay so calm about Cam using a new Force ability?” Serra asked.

Fay smiled at the girl. “Tell me child, when Cameron uses this… unexpected ability, does the Force warn you? Does this ability feel tainted or a threat?”

“No.” Serra shot back quickly. “Cam would never hurt me.”

A few months ago, I would have been worried about how quick she was to defend me – or fight others who seemed to be close to me. However, since I’d interrupted her spar with Rachi, Serra had been toning down her… possessive tendencies.

Add in that since ‘The Talk’, she’d spend regular time talking with Fay, and hadn’t shown any outward signs of those tendencies around Bo and Naz – though that could likely be because the pair were teasing her so much – and I felt that whatever had brought it on was now under control. Though it was something to be cautious about over the next few months once Dooku and Fay left.

“No, I don’t think he would,” Fay replied with a small smile as her eyes darted my way. “Nor would you, him. However, the lack of warning from the Force is but one thing which has reassured both Master Dooku and myself about Cameron’s ability.”

There was silence as Serra seemed to process what Fay had said before she nodded.

“Yeah. The Force would warn us of a threat,” Serra stated.

“It should. However, relying entirely on the Force to determine where a threat exists is… naïve at best,” Dooku countered as his lips narrowed. “We must be constantly vigilant to threats that the Force is blind to.”

Serra’s brow creased and she titled her head. “How could one blind the Force?”

“It is difficult, but not impossible,” Fay replied slowly. “However, that is a discussion for when you are older and wiser. Now, we wish to discuss how you both should behave once Master Dooku and I leave.”

“Hey! It’s not like I keep looking for trouble.” I said as everyone shifted their gaze to me. Though I couldn’t deny that I did seem to attract unwanted attention.

“It is not. However, the Force works through us, and clearly, it has decided to place you in situations that are more… volatile than most would encounter.” Dooku countered. “Thus, we wish to ensure that you are both aware of how to conduct yourselves while you are staying here and confirm that you do not wish to keep your lightsabers with you.”

I felt myself frown and opened my mouth to answer.

“We’re here as the guests of the ruler of the planet, Master Dooku,” Serra said, unintentionally cutting me off. “We know we need to obey the local planetary rules.”

“And we know the Mandalorians do not like Jedi. But if we openly kept our lightsabers, it would only make them more likely to attack us,” I added, repeating a reason that I had used the previous thirteen times this discussion had come up.

Instead of trying to counter my reason, as I had expected, Dooku simply held up a hand. “I am not here to once more argue the point with you. While I do not agree with your choice, I respect it. No, I simply wish to confirm, before Master Fay and myself leave in the morning that you are both still committed to this course.”

“We are,” I said for both of us as Serra nodded in agreement.

“Very well. Then all I shall say on the matter is to be constantly vigilant and trust no one.” Dooku said giving us a head tilt in acceptance.

“And perhaps you could try to be more… diplomatic with your words,” Fay added with a chuckle. “The Duke’s eldest daughter is… not a fan of your opinions.”

“Eh,” I responded with a shrug. “I’m not a fan of hers either.”

“Thankfully, Lady Satine will leave with us tomorrow. She is due to finish her studies on Coruscant before beginning a term as an assistant to this sector’s current Senator. Duke Adonai plans for her to eventually become the Senator for the sector while her brother will assume leadership of the planet and sector.” Fay explained. “And while the girl has some… extreme ideals, her heart is in the right place.”

I said nothing, preferring to hold my tongue. Did I regret being so blunt when we’d first met? No. I knew where her blind idealism would lead, and the damage it would cause.

In retrospect, I should have been more concerned about offending Adonai than attacking Satine. However, the Duke had not told me off and the subtle signs I’d detected suggested he agreed with my words, even if he couldn’t verbalise them around his allies.

“We should discuss your verd’goten,” Dooku said, changing the topic rather abruptly. “You understand that completing this trial will not be well-regarded by the High Council?”

I nodded. “I do, but I’m doing it anyway.”

“Um, verd’gaten?” Serra asked and it occurred to me that I had not told her about it. Nor had it been mentioned by Bo or Naz as anything more than a trial.

“The verd’goten,” Fay began, correcting the girl’s pronunciation, “is a Mandalorian custom that is similar to the Trials of Knighthood from the Old Republic. Once a child is of age, the prospective Mando’ade is allowed to attempt the trial, though nothing says it must be attempted at such a young age and I have heard of people in their thirties that have passed the rite and were accepted into Mandalorian culture.”

“And since these are Mandalorians we’re talking about, it involves not only surviving by yourself but killing a beast, with just a knife,” I explained to Serra figuring she needed to understand what in entailed before I asked her if she was willing to attempt it herself. Which I did plan to do. Hopefully, she’d be willing to do the trial, as I felt it would be beneficial to her to prove herself to people outside the Jedi Order. However, if she chose not to, I would accept her decision.

“Said beast must be a threat to the one attempting the verd’goten. After all, killing a rabbit isn’t exactly worthy of a warrior.” I continued with a smirk at imagining a Mandalorian with that as a personal crest. “Nor can we use the Force in any obvious way. I asked Nia.” I added in answer to the way Fay and Dooku looked at me.

“That’s barbaric,” Serra commented. “Why would they send a child out alone to kill a creature?”

“It’s the old way,” I replied with a shrug. “Unlike the Jedi, who have formalised the testing for Knighthood since the Ruusan Reformation, the Mandalorians see value in respecting the ways of their ancestors.”

“But sending a child out by themselves?” Serra shook her head, sending her hair flying around her face. “And how old are these kids?”

“The verd’goten can be taken at any time after the thirteenth nameday, though the younger one is when the ritual is completed, the more respect the kill carries,” Fay explained so easily that I wondered just how much she had learnt from her former Mandalorian… friend? lover? “As does the danger the beast poses.”

“Serra,” I began, cutting off my friend from making another comment. “I know you think it’s barbaric, but this is the way of the Mandalorians. If you don’t want to do it, it’s fine. But I’m doing it.”

Serra’s eyes locked on to me, which was the first time we’d made direct contact since the spars that morning. She held my gaze for a while before sighing loudly.

“I… I don’t know. I mean, I think I understand why it would make sense to do it, but…” she paused and shook her head once more. “It goes against what I was taught as an Initiate.”

“The taking of a life, even that of a non-sentient creature, is not something to be actively sought out. However, all things die, and to the Mandalorian people, a death in a verd’goten is a worthy death,” Fay again explained with such ease that I began to wonder if she had ever completed the trial. “And the kill is never just for the kill. If possible, the meat of the beast is harvested and eaten. The hide and internal organs can also be harvested for useful purposes. Or so I am told.”

I felt my eyes narrow as she finished speaking, and I suspected that she had either taken the verd’goten herself – likely after it being suggested by this long-dead friend – or had spoken at length about the custom with that same person.

“In the Old Republic, Jedi were often sent on dangerous missions to earn their Knighthood. Many times, the Padawan did not return, but after the Ruusan Reformation, the Order adopted the more formalised trials.” Dooku supplied, weighing in on the issue. “While the Sith are gone from sight, the galaxy is still a dangerous place and time away from the Temple does one good.”

“Serra, if you want to try the verd’goten, you can. If not, it’s fine,” I repeated quickly, not wanting her to catch Dooku’s comment about the Sith having been gone from sight, not killed off as most Jedi were told. “The choice is yours.”

“Okay. J-just give me time to think about it,” She replied slowly, her eyes now not willing to meet mine.

“Sure. Also, can you get the project I gave you this morning?” I asked, changing the topic and taking things back to an earlier point where I had developed an idea to ease the concerns of my masters regarding us being unarmed while alone on a world renowned for training Jedi killers.

She took a split second to realise what I was talking about before she darted for her room.

“Cameron?” Dooku asked as he and Fay turned their attention to me, but I simply smiled and waited for Serra to return.

When she did, she smiled at me as she dropped three pieces of metal tubing on the table.

Dooku’s eyes narrowed and an eyebrow rose as he examined them. “Curious.” He lifted his head and looked at me. “This was Padawan Keto’s secondary blade, correct?”

“It still is,” I replied as a smile crept onto my face and I nodded at Serra.

She picked up the three pieces and quickly clipped them together. No more than twenty seconds after picking them up, she pressed the button and the shortened green blade of her shoto hummed to life.

“Impressive,” Dooku commented as Serra de-powered the blade and broke it down into its three parts. “Are we to assume that Padawan Keto will be keeping this with her when we leave?”

“Yes, Master. While I trust that Mayor Vizsla’s intentions were honest, and the reasoning he gave was certainly valid, ignoring the fact both his uncle and sister were members of Death Watch would be stupid. And I’m not going to walk into a potentially dangerous situation without protection.” I replied.

That was only half true. Honestly, I trusted Pre Vizsla about half as far as Yoda could throw him. Without the Force. But I couldn’t say that without it leading to questions I wasn’t ready to answer.

“True. And do you plan to make such a blade for yourself?” Dooku asked as he reached over and told hold of the three components of Serra’s lightsaber. “With the crystals from your current lightsaber?”

“Yes and no,” I replied and reached into my pocket, pulling out a small crystal. “I have a spare crystal. It’s one of the ones we found on Dantooine.” I explained before Fay could ask where the crystal had come from.

And I was being honest as it was one of the six crystals from there that I had stored in my Inventory. Those were joined by a pair taken from older lightsabers found under the Temple and the two from the Jedi and Sith lightsabers that had been destroyed on Ilum during my… talk with the future-self visions of myself as a Jedi Grandmaster and Dark Lord of the Sith.

“I was under the impression that all of those crystals were handed over to the Order when we returned to the Temple,” Fay said as her lips turned upwards at the corners. “Yet, it is not a surprise that you kept one for yourself. A memento of the history Dantooine has with your family, perhaps?”

I nodded at her thinking. While it was true that keeping a crystal from the cave on Dantooine was slightly sentimental, that had not been the main reason.

“I for one am more comfortable about allowing you both to stay if you still have a lightsaber,” Dooku added and I turned my head to see he had already disassembled the lightsaber into its three components and was turning them over in his hands. “While I suspect these blades will not be as powerful as your main lightsabers, they are more… discreet.”

He handed the components back to Serra as I placed the crystal back in my pocket.

“I think I’ve got most of the parts I need to build another lightsaber in my room,” I said, which was true. I had pulled the main components from my inventory – where I held enough parts to build three lightsabers – and placed them in a desk drawer. I left out a few more easily attainable parts from the pile to complete the illusion that I wasn’t quite ready to build a second blade.

“I admit I am… curious, as to when and where you found those parts, as I am sure Master Fay is as well. However, I think it is better if we do not know the answers to those questions,” Dooku said with a slight twitch to his lips.

“Yes, Master,” I replied as a smile appeared on my face.

Silence settled over us until I spoke again.

“If I may ask, what will you be doing while we are here?”

[You wish to reveal our plans in front of Padawan Keto?] Dooku asked mentally.

[Not all. Generalities at best,] I replied. [I expect Serra to join our Coalition in time, but exact details are not something she needs to know currently.]

“After we have escorted Lady Satine to Coruscant, I will be travelling to Baltizaar,” Dooku began as if our quick mental conversation had not taken place. “There… I wish to confirm the fate of someone I once knew. After that, I will likely return to the Temple, but that is not certain.”

That meant he was going to look for hints about what had happened to Komari Vosa as Baltizaar was the planet where the Jedi strike team had been driven back by the Bando Gora. According to the reports, Vosa had died there, but no definitive proof had been found.

If Dooku found anything, I expected he would report it to Fay, Sifo-Dyas, and the others instead of rushing in half-cocked as most Jedi would. While I hoped that Vosa was still alive, from what I little I had learnt about the Bando Gora, death would be the better outcome for Vosa’s fate. Still, all I could do was hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Fay glanced from me to Dooku subtly before she spoke. “I will travel the galaxy. There are a few old friends I wish to catch up with. And one or two who I am… concerned about.”

“Um, when you return to the Temple, could pass a message to Master Drallig for me?” Serra asked slowly, to which Fay nodded and smiled.

“Certainly. And we have spoken with the Duke and his ministers so that, if you wish, you may speak to him once a week via the Holonet.”

“Thank you,” Serra said with a smile.

Any further conversation was cut off by the chime of someone outside the door.

“Enter,” Dooku stated and the doors opened revealing a tan-skinned woman.

“Master Jedi, Duke Adonai has asked me to escort you for the evening meal.” She stated.

“Very well. Come along Padawans, and Cameron, do mind your manners around the Lady Satine,” Fay added with a smile.

“I won’t start anything,” I replied as we began to follow the servant.

And I wouldn’t. But if, as had been the case at the last few meals where I’d been present along with Satine, she did, I would happily take the chance to offer one of the comments I had floating around in my mind.

……

……

Two days later, after seeing Fay and Dooku leave with Satine in tow, I was in a transport that was taking me – along with Serra, Bo, and Naz – to the city of Keldabe where we would join a training centre of potential Journeymen Protectors and Royal Guards.

Technically we were both too young – having not turned thirteen or completed our verd’goten – but there was no way in hell I was coming all the way to Mandalore to study in the New Mandalorian Royal Academy of Government or a school for little children.

Neither Bo nor Naz attended that academy either, which made sense as neither Adonai nor Pre were actual members of the New Mandalorians. Instead, both had allied themselves, and their Clans – and House in Adonai’s case – with the ruling faction of the sector. An action that both likely had regrets about, though for differing reasons.

I had asked why it was that Bo and Naz had to attend the training centre when both were old enough to have attempted the verd’goten, or I assumed they had passed it as I’d hadn’t asked them directly about that yet. As it was explained to me, that the reason for them still attending the training centre was that it was tied to the fact the Republic saw the age of responsibility as sixteen and that they wished to move away from the old ways.

While the verd’goten was taken by many from the age of thirteen, the New Mandalorians had decided to not recognise the trial and only allowed members into the guard, or the sponsored groups of Journeymen Protectors throughout the sector, once they were seventeen.

But even then, I had my doubts that Bo and Naz would be allowed to serve in the Guard, and if they were, it would only be in Sundari as both Adonai and Pre held important positions. None of the pacifistic New Mandalorians would place the daughters of the Duke and Mayor of Sundari in locations that carried actual risk, regardless of the resulting stagnation and lack of growth that would bring.

Bringing my mind back to the present, I looked out of the window of the small courier transport as we skimmed across the white sand desert and noted a few metal beams and buildings that jutted out of the sand randomly. Those were the remains of the cities that had stood on this part of the world before a Jedi-led Republic strike force had all but glassed huge swathes of the planet during the Dral’Han.

I had to give the New Mandalorians some credit for building their cities where they did. The sparse, skeletal remains and white sandy deserts likely helped to remind people of what had happened and were then used by the New Mandalorians to convince people that their way was the correct way.

Yet I could also see that this choice of location for their cities could be used to rally people against the faction. Likely the ideas I had about how to use this against them – such as that the New Mandalorians were trying to remove/bury the past – were used by groups like Death Watch to stir up sentiment against the ruling faction.

“What?! How can you not do the verd’goten?!”

My attention was drawn back to the inside of the transport, and the other passengers, by the loud voice of Bo and I turned to see her and Naz were staring at Serra in shock.

Serra, for her part, looked away and rubbed her arm. “I, it’s just that killing like that… It’s against the Jedi way.” She flicked her hair at the point where her Padawan braid had been.

Both of us had removed them this morning – well, I’d cut mine off happily whereas Serra had just removed the braid and let the hair fall back with the rest – while shifting from our robes into grey training clothes worn at the centre we were due to attend. Bo and Naz were also in such clothing, though both had a short green strip over their left breast.

“This isn’t your Temple on Coruscant. This is Mandalore,” Naz countered as she snarled and exposed a few teeth. “And I know Cam’s going to do the verd’goten.”

All three turned to me and I rolled my eyes. “Real subtle Naz.” Bo sniggered once while Naz just shrugged. “But yeah, I’m going to do the verd’goten. And it’s up to Serra if she wants to or not, so stop trying to force her into it.” I backed up my words with a burst of Force Persuasion.

“But…” Bo began only to stop when Naz elbowed her in ribs.

“Actually, if it’s allowed, can you tell us about what you two dealt with on your trials?” I asked, shifting the conversation in a way that stopped the pair from hassling Serra without totally dropping the topic.

The pair shared a look before Naz replied.

“Mine was a nightshrike,” she said as she rolled up the sleeve of her jacket to expose the armoured bracer she was wearing, and the stylised bat-like creature that was engraved upon it. “It was on the second day of my verd’goten, when I encountered the beast, though at the time I was less interested in what it was than in surviving the encounter or killing it.” She paused and chuckled to herself. “Well, more like it encountered me.”

“I had just sat down to eat my evening meal when a scream came from the air. On instinct, I rolled backwards and grabbed my knife as a mass, as black as the night and larger than my camping ground, swooped down and stole the roasting meat from my fire.”

Naz moved around the cabin we were in, acting out her story as she told it.

“The shadow flew upwards, and I lost it almost as soon as it was beyond the light of the fire. So, I waited. No beast like that would be satisfied with the small meal I had been cooking. And soon enough, I heard the scream again. This time from behind me.”

“As I dove away, I felt the wind rush across my back even as something scraped against the back of my armour. The force of that glancing blow was strong enough to disrupt my dive, and I ended up face-first in the dirt.”

“Quickly, I righted myself and crouched low, waiting for the beast to attack again. And once more it did. But this time, I was ready.”

“I dropped to the ground and thrust my knife upwards, emboldened as my blade caught flesh. The beast roared, then crashed into the bushes, as something splattered across my armour.”

“I rolled quickly to my feet, my blood pumping as I tightened my grip on the knife. A scream from a nearby undergrowth drew my attention, and I barely was able to duck as a large shadow, easily double my height, stumbled out from the bushes into the light.”

“The monster spread its wings, engulfing the clearing inside the span as the embers of the fire I had lit made shadows dance across its body. Highlighting the muscles and tendons of the massive beast. Yet my eyes also saw something else.”

“Blood, as red as that from you or I, was pouring down one wing and even as the beast snapped its large jaws – which could easily have bitten my head clean off – snapped and it screeched once more, I moved.”

“Before it had time to realise what I planned, or adapt to fighting on the ground, I had closed the distance between us and slashed near the initial wound.”

“The beast roared in pain and with a mighty flap of its good wing, sent me tumbling away.”

“I righted, myself to see it lumbering towards me, its eyes focused on me. It shrieked and lumbered towards me, but I was faster. Evading a wild slash of a clawed wing, I slipped close and drove my knife into its throat. Even as the beast realised it had lost it still tried to kill me. It let itself fall backwards and its massive taloned feet grabbed my leg and tossed me away. Straight into the trunk of a nearby tree.”

“I groaned as I lay there on the ground, only moving as the beast gave another screech. I dragged myself to my feet as it stumbled towards me, ready to fight the beast with my bare hands. Sadly for it, my strike had been true, and the beast fell face-first to the ground at my feet. Dead.”

Naz stopped her animated telling and a wide smile threatened to split her face in two. “My father, who had been monitoring me from afar, arrived not long after and helped me haul the beast back to our ship. That was when I learned the name of the beast and on the voyage back to our home, we skinned and cut it for the feast.”

“Feast?” Serra asked and I noted that while she was looking intently at Naz, her face had lost some of its usual colour.

“Yes. Provided the kill is not poisonous, it is cooked and eaten by the new Mando’ade with their friends and family,” Naz explained. “The shrike was, perhaps, the best thing I have ever eaten.” Somehow, the smile on her face grew as she finished and got lost in the memory of her coming-of-age party.

“Impressive,” I said. “Never heard of a nightshrike before.”

Naz shrugged. “We encountered them on a small world in the Rim, trailing Hutt Space. It wasn’t an impressive or important place. All that mattered, was that I survived my verd’goten and became Mando’ade.”

“What about you?” I asked, turning to Bo.

The redhead shrugged as she copied the actions of Naz and rolled up her sleeve to reveal her armoured bracer, exposing the image of a stylised bird of some form.

“I killed a furred blood owl,” she remarked as she smirked at Naz. “Four of them actually.”

“A what?” Serra asked, vocalising the question that bounced into my head.

Bo sighed and rolled her sleeve back down. “A furred blood owl.” She shrugged. “I didn’t name them, but they attacked me on my first evening and I killed four before the rest of the flock gave up and left.”

“With just your knife?” I asked, and she nodded in reply. “Not bad.”

“Wait,” Serra said as she turned back to Naz. “You said you were cooking something when the nightshrike attacked. Did you kill that as well?”

“Yes. And before you ask, it didn’t count for the verd’goten as it wasn’t a threat to kill me,” replied Naz with her smile slowly decreasing. “The kill for the trial must be life and death and against something that would threaten your life.”

“Do Sith count?” I asked, even if I knew it didn’t.

“What?” Bo and Naz’s heads snapped to face me while Serra frowned. [I know it doesn’t count, but I figured you could do with them not bothering you about doing the trial.] I said mentally to her, getting the slightest of nods in reply as I sensed her relief through the Force.

I leaned back and told the two Mandalorians of the story of how I arrived in the current timeframe. I wasn’t sure how long it took, but I made sure to be just descriptive enough to keep the pair interested. I was also aware that both would likely pass the story on to their fathers, so I made sure to both underplay what I’d done, while still making it seem impressive. Or at least, I hoped I did.

“And after that, well I ended up at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and eventually became a Padawan,” I finished as I leaned back into the surprisingly comfortable seat on the transport. “So, does that count?”

“Well…”

“No!” Bo stated, cutting off Naz abruptly – and earning herself a glare from the blonde. “While the story is certainly interesting, you used blasters and a lightsaber, and you had no witness.”

“Why does a witness matter?” Serra asked, having fixed Bo with her gaze as the redhead had spoken.

“Without a witness, anyone could claim to have killed a beast, or a Sith,” Bo smirked as our eyes met, “but without confirmation from one who is Mando’ade, the elders will not accept the kill as proof of completing the verd’goten.”

“Naz said her father watched her verd’goten. Was it the same for you?”

Bo nodded before verbally answering my question. “Yes. My father and brother both stood witness for my trial.”
    “Huh. I just realised that you two, when you do the verd’goten, don’t have a family member who could stand as a witness,” Naz commented.

“What about Master Fay or Dooku?” I asked, but both girls rejected the idea by shaking their heads almost as soon as I spoke.

“No. While I do not doubt their courage or skill, neither of your Masters are Mando’ade,” Naz stated as she squinted.

“I suspect my father will wish to observe Cam’s verd’goten,” Bo offered, using the nickname Serra did. While her using the nickname didn’t annoy me, I did spot Serra glance at the redhead. “Your family name while old, carries weight with our people,” Bo added.

Naz snorted. “That’s one way to put it.” She fixed her gaze on me. “You’re a child of the Destroyer of Worlds, trained by the Butcher of Galidraan and wield a weapon with significance to our people.”

“Not all our people,” Bo retorted.

“What? You going soft?” Naz asked with a smirk, which made Bo’s scowl grow worse.

“Is that a challenge?” Bo demanded as her eyes narrowed.

Naz held Bo’s gaze for a moment before laughing. “Kriff, Bo. You really are too easy to tease. I know you're not soft.” She finished with a less-than-subtle wagging of her eyebrows. “Well, not everywhere.”

“Anyway…” I muttered, both to cut off whatever was going on between the two – and avoid my mind wandering to places I did not want it to go. “I imagine that the Duke will arrange from someone to observe our verd’gotens.” I paused as I said the word. “Verd’gotenins?” I frowned as I realised that I didn’t know what the plural for the word was; or if there even was one.

Verd’goten,” Bo stated clearly, her scowl slowly lessening as I felt the transport turn. “The word refers to one, plural and all.”

I nodded my thanks and glanced out the window. The white sand that surrounded Sundari and its satellite cities were gone; replaced by a forest of what looked like pine trees.

As we flew over the forest, the tops of the trees buzzing passed so fast that they appeared blurred, I was reminded of my old life. I’d grown up in a small town in the Highlands and there’d been several forests nearby full for pine and fir trees.

For the first time in years, my mind wandered back to that life, and my former life. My parents had both passed away before I had, and the only family I’d left behind was a sister who had been married with two kids of her own.

As the trees began to thicken, removing all sight of the ground below, I wondered how she was doing and how my death had affected her.

I felt a hand come to rest on my shoulder and sensed concern through the Force.

“Cam?” Serra’s voice was laced with that concern and I turned she had moved from her seat to stand next to me. Her brow was furrowed as her eyes sought mine out.

“I’m fine,” I replied with a smile I didn’t feel, “just thinking about my… old life.”

“OK,” she said weakly as a wave of comfort and friendship came over our Force bond. Along with a few emotions that I chose to ignore. “You’re not alone. I, um, we, we’re here for you.” She said softly as her cheeks began to redden.

“Thanks,” I said as, avoiding my first inclination to pat her hand, I patted her arm with my hand and ignored the flare of emotions that came from her at my actions.

As I turned back to the window, I saw the forest had risen and parted to show Keldabe as it rested on a grey hilltop while a river bent around the hill below.

As the transport circled the edge of the city, it was easy to see that the city was… unusual. Buildings of all shapes, size and materials were dotted around with little to no sign of planning, though the headquarters of Mandalmotors were easy to spot as the front of the building was emblazoned with the company’s logo.

The logo, and that of the Mandalorians before the rise of the New Mandalorian faction, was the skull of the mythosaur. Though this one had an altered paint scheme to mark it out as the symbol of Mandalmotors.

The skull looked like a stylized dinosaur skull, though with the addition of mammoth tusks and the images I’d seen of the beast painted it as a massive reptile of several hundred meters in length that looked much like a dinosaur or dragon from my old life.

The transport banked towards a row of landing pads on the southern edge of the city – the side that was not overlooking the river and forest – and descended quickly and smoothly to the ground, touching down with only the slightest of jolts.

On the eastern edge of the city was a walled area with perhaps a dozen grey-coloured buildings inside that reminded me of a military base. Yet the walls did not have any gun emplacements, nor guard towers.

Once that happened, we all stood and collected our bags, well I lifted them from their racks with the Force and set them down in the aisle. My bag contained a few spare sets of clothing, for both training at the centre and downtime in the city – if we had any – as well as the completed, but un-combined, parts of my new yellow-bladed shoto lightsaber.

With the bag hefted over my shoulder, I followed the three girls towards the entrance ramp, and I heard the pilot speaking indistinctly over the comms from the cockpit.

As the pressure seal broke, I inhaled deeply as the smells of the city blasted into the transport. Hints of food and drink mixed with the dominating scent of the forest that surrounded the city even as the hustle and bustle of the city filled my ears.

A small smile crept onto my face as I enjoyed the fresh air as it brushed over my face while Bo and Naz stepped off the transport with a familiarity of where they were.

Serra, however, stopped after only a few steps and her head turned from side to side. I had to assume she was taking in the sights of what was possibly only the third city she’d seen after Coruscant and I allowed her a moment to take in the sight before speaking.

“We’ll have time to look around later,” I said softly, though she still squeaked and jumped slightly at my voice. “First we have to get to the training centre.”

“R-right,” She mumbled at a volume that was only just loud enough for me to hear – since I was right beside her – over the noise of the landing area.

She scampered down the rest of the ramp, and I followed along with a chuckle at her behaviour, even as a transport on the pad next to ours lifted into the air. As I stepped onto the ground, I noted that Bo and Naz had begun to walk to where a group of five adults were standing.

One, judging by the pale-yellow, almost white, fur was Knight Lhan. I hadn’t seen him since just before Fay and Dooku had become my Jedi masters and he had left to become the watchman for this sector. Why he was here now, instead of making himself known over the last two weeks while in Sundari was something I would make sure to ask him; provided I was able to do so without arousing suspicion.

Two of the Humans in the group were unknown, though the male of the pair had locked his eyes upon the two Mandalorians in front of me.

My eyes, however, were drawn to the last pair as I slowed my speed. One was Nia, but it was the young man or possibly just an older teenager, that was beside her that drew my attention. And as his eyes locked onto mine, his lips shifted into an almost animalistic snarl before he schooled them.

This person bore a strong resemblance to Girk and to confirm a suspicion I used Observe.

Gar Saxon
    Level: 18
    Force Potential: Minimal
    Threat Potential: Low
    Affiliation Loyalty: Clan Saxon (100%) Death Watch (68%) New Mandalorians (13%)
    Emotional State: Angry/Respectful/Worried
    Gar hates you for killing his father and weakening his reputation among his classmates and Death Watch.
    He also detests the way his mother has taken a liking to you.
    However, he recognizes your strength in defeating and killing his father.
    Though he is nervous that you are here to do the same to him.
    As I read the report, I frowned internally. Having Gar here, and likely in the training centre with us given his age, made the situation much more complicated.
    ……

As before, you can find me on the server for this story in particular, and Star Wars in general: discord . gg/UM89QfyQk3
    Or in the Omniverse: discord . gg/wd3tUYWVCd
    Just remember to remove the spaces ;)
    Regardless of if you join one, both or neither...
    May the Force be with you. Always.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  8. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

so any word on if Bo and/or Naz will manage to succeed in seducing Serra? I honestly think a polyamorous Cam/Serra/Bo relationship would be a good end goal, because the relationship between Serra and Bo means that Serra will still be able to have her romantic needs fulfilled while she waits to be old enough for Cam to be comfortable with a relationship.

9. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Ahh, murderous teen drama.

The shipwreck that will come out of this is going to be grand! :D

Thanks for the release, and see you next release! :)

10. Memory

Memory Getting out there.

Thanks for the Christmas update! This is probably my favourite ongoing gamer story I've seen!
    Really enjoying the protagonist and like how you structure the system. It seems... Balanced.
    Keep up the great work!

ClassyCobra and almostinsane like this.
  11. alec_potter

alec_potter Versed in the lewd.

Nice descriptions of Mandalore.

Cant wait for this to play out.

12. USSExplorer

Not sure if it will, since there are ~25 years between them, but to give you an idea of what Nia looks like, this is her fancast

[​IMG]

13. Xcell

Xcell Know what you're doing yet?

I'm confused on a few things here in the story. first you say it's 5 years before The phantom menace takes place in your fanfic here at the beginning of chapter 36 and in the last chapter where padme made an appearance I thought you said she was either 9 or 12 years old in her last appearance in the story and also could have sworn there was a chapter after that where there was a two-year time skip either making her 11 or 14 as of the current chapter in the story. and if I add five more years past that'll make her 19 or 16 when the events of The phantom menace start. I've done a Google search on this and according to Google she was 14 in the events of The phantom menace. As she's five years older than Anakin. So here's a question are you intentionally making her older in a story?

ClassyCobra likes this.
  14. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Not too sore, are you?

Does this really matter?

ClassyCobra likes this.
  15. USSExplorer

Padme was 7 in her appearance.
    Her level was 9.
    She is 3-4 years younger than Cam

ClassyCobra and The Dude like this.
  16. alec_potter

Now I am rooting for it even more.
    With no masters to interfere hope Cam finally goes after the prizes available here.

On another note it will be good to have Character Sheet and Characters of Interest.

17. USSExplorer

I've done that on the Discord server.
    There's been a lot of characters who Cam has met that I'm having to track ;)

18. alec_potter

Joined.

19. Kwame

Kwame Versed in the lewd.

Wasn't Annikin and Padmes ages more spaced out? So this ship should still be possible.

20. Stoyan

Stoyan Making the rounds.

Wait a moment. How did Serra managed to become lv16?

I mean she doesnt go out of the temple because of her master. She doesn't have the system to help or have extreme potential with the force. I personaly couldn't find any talent/perk/traits that she have outside of combat (like programing, science, politics, economics etc). She isn't a booksmarts person. She complaines about her master.
    So from where did she got all that exp to have 4 lv diference with her age? Only from normal repetive Jedi training? Really?

I mean take a look at the facts. All the children/teenagers COULD have mostly only 1 lv diference. Exeptions until now are only in the child/teens that have some talent (like padme) or have some kind of exceeding expirience (like savos and gar Saxon). The only one with 3 is sheev himself.

We know that Serra was 8-9 when she became a padwan. And her master is the same one that was teaching them all from little.
    And now she is 12-16?

The range of the padwan is 10-20. For Knight is 20-30. The reason that some padwan are 22 is just because the master or high council thought that they are not ready yet to be knighted.

Most of the padwan become knights after 20 years old. Just look at Kenobi. He is born 57BBY and Naboo was 32BBY. That means he become Knight when he was 25.

I can understand Serra being lv 14 but 16 out of nowhere?
    What next? The rest are also sudenly with 4 lv diference? Or she is the only one because she is a love interest (hidden yandere)? Or she actually has Cam/Anakin potential and is also gonna become a Knight in 16?

I just cant see how did she managed such jump in lv. Just because?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  21. Hoppyloop

Hoppyloop Getting sticky.

It was probably the daily training against the mandalorian. Some time has passed between now and when they left the temple.

22. Stoyan

Stoyan Making the rounds.

True Cam did observe Serra just before the masters leave. But if you look at it in time that's like maximum 1 month.
    I don't think that serra cam make such a jump in 4 years and sudenly she jumps in 1 month? Its not possible. Especialy if we put Cam here.

Serra jump like 2 lv. Cam with all his quests for spars jump 4-5 lv and we don't see the perk and PPP? Don't think so.

23. Threadmarks: Teh Adiik At Mando’ade 4
    USSExplorer

Thanks to blaze1992 for some quest concepts and spit-balling ideas.
    To the backroom group for their help with SW related issues, arc ideas and betaing the chapter
    To WarriorsCre3d for creating a custom image for the story.

Current date: 5 years until the Invasion of Naboo

Knowing that there was no way to put off the coming confrontation and realising that Gar was not an active threat with everyone gathered around us, I picked up my pace and moved up beside Serra.

[The boy is Gar Saxon, Nia and Girk’s son. Be careful.] I sent to Serra mentally as a warning as we approached the group. While she hadn’t yet learnt to respond verbally via the bond, I did get a sense of understanding and caution coming back from her.

“Knight Lhan, it's been a while.” I said with a smile once we were close enough to the group to speak without having to shout over the general noise of the area.

Lhan chuckled, his fangs exposed as he did. “It has, Padawan. If I had known sooner that you were journeying to the sector, I would’ve made sure to have been here to greet you and your masters.” He paused and turned to Serra. “Ah, Padawan… Keto, was it?”

“Yes, master,” Serra replied as she tried to nod, but stumbled due to the duffel-bag on her shoulder. “Sorry.”

Lhan laughed and waved his hand. “It’s quite alright young one. I understand you are not to draw attention to yourselves while out of Sundari, so it is better if you do not show the typical deference one would expect from a Padawan.”

He turned his attention back to me as he continued. “Before you wonder, our meeting here was simply the work of the Force. I arrived back in Keldabe only this morning while sorting out a dispute in the Olankur region.”

“I was saddened to hear that Masters Fay and Dooku would be leaving before I could return to Sundari, however at least I was able to greet the pair of you.” He paused and looked over my shoulder at the transport we had just exited. “Hopefully, we will have time to catch up later. For now, however, I must bid you farewell as I need to catch my flight. Good luck with the locals. They are a stubborn but honourable lot.”

“Goodbye.”

“May the Force be with you, Master Lhan.”

He gave us one last smile before he stepped passed us and begun walking towards the transport we had just exited.

With his departure, I turned my attention to the rest of the greeting party, and while Naz and Bo were speaking with Nia – and Gar was staying silent as he watched me like a hawk – I used Observe on the two unknowns.

Taren Kraviss
    Level: 29
    Health: 98% (artificial lower left arm-modified)
    Force Potential: Low
    Threat Potential: Intermediate
    Affiliation Loyalty: Clan Kraviss (78%) Mandalorian People (62%) House Kryze (56%)
    Emotional State: Curious
    Taren is intrigued by the idea of two Jedi, even simple Padawans, wishing to learn the way of the Mando’ade.
    She is also wondering how much of your forebearer is in you.
    And if the words of Duke Adonai about your potential are true.
    Krarthog Wrajud
    Level: 27
    Force Potential: Low
    Threat Potential: Intermediate
    Affiliation Loyalty: Clan Wrajud (100%) Death Watch (72%)
    Emotional State: Annoyed/Concerned
    Krarthog is less than thrilled to have to teach Jedi scum, however, he will follow Pre Vizsla’s orders.
    He is worried that your appearance might disrupt Death Watch’s long-term goals.
    And he is concerned your apparent closeness with Pre Vizsla’s daughter might disrupt his own plans.
    I mentally sighed as I read Wrajud’s details. While it made sense for Pre to have an ally at this centre, the fact that he did have one, was not something I wanted or needed. Add in that the man was also unhappy about Naz’s interest and friendship with me, and it had all the making of a disaster waiting to happen.

Or chaos I could exploit depending on how I handled things.

Kraviss’ information was far less concerning and, based on her affiliation loyalties, it appeared as though she was a supporter of the Duke’s though she placed more stock in the people themselves. And, since she out-ranked Wrajud, I had to hope she would be able to keep him under control.

As I heard the transport begin to power up, and the landing ramp retracting, Kraviss began to speak.

“Greetings young ones, I am Taren Kraviss, Commandant of the Institute for Combat Training and Protectorate Selection here in Keldabe.” The smile she had started with fell a little as she said the name of the centre, and I noted that both Nia and Wrajud frowned as the name was said. “With me are Krarthog Wrajud, my chief combat instructor, our newest tactics instructor, Nia Vizsla, and her eldest son, and one of our more promising Trainees, Gar Saxon.”

“When Duke Adonai told me that we would be having two Jedi join us this year, I must admit to being shocked. The… animosity most of our people hold for your Order is a well-known fact, so to have two as young as yourselves decide to study here, and willingly remove your lightsabers…” She paused and shook her head even as she smiled. “Brave, yet possibly foolish.”

“That’s a fair way to describe most Jedi.” I commented, which made the Commandant chuckle. Bo, Naz, Nia and Serra all at least smiled at my comment, while Wrajud and Gar didn’t react positively to my attempted levity. Wrajud’s eyes narrowed as if he was trying to burn a hole through my forehead while Gar kept his face impassive even as he continued to watch me carefully.

“Yes, that is a fair description of your Order.” Kraviss responded before shifting her attention to the two Mandalorians that had arrived with me and Serra. “Still, these two, while young, are also two of our more promising trainees and I am told you have defeated them both in training spars. Impressive.”

“Likely due to his Jedi tricks, Commandant.” Wrajud suggested as he finally turned his attention away from me to speak with his boss. His mouth opened as again as he turned back to face me once more.

“He did not, Instructor Wrajud,” Bo countered, cutting off whatever the man wished to add on. “After our first few spars, they both promised to not actively use the Force, and they kept their word.” Bo paused as her eyes glanced my way before she returned her focus to the adults. “Cam’s…” Her voice trailed off and she grunted.

“He’s better than us,” Naz finished as Bo’s head snapped around so she could glare at her friend. “What? It’s true.” She added on with a shrug, before turning back to the face the welcoming party. “He’s good. Like really, really good. Even knows a fair bit of Beskar’pel and Beskar’rev.”

“You taught outsiders, Jedi, our ways?” Wrajud all but snarled at Naz and took a partial step forward.

“She didn’t. I did,” Nia growled out as she moved to cut off Wrajud before he reached her niece. “I chose to do so as recompense for my husband’s actions after their ijaat'akannir. As was my right.” Her eyes bore into Wrajud. “Or do you wish to interfere in clan business?”

Wrajud held her glare with one of his own for a moment before grunting. “No. You are Mando’ade, and as you say it was clan business. Others, however, might not be so quick to forgive or forget.”

Nia’s glare narrowed as she smirked. “Let them come. I could do with a good fight.”

“Um, excuse me, Gar?” I said, moving the conversation towards a topic I knew had to be addressed, even as I mentally activated Bullet-Time without seeming to slow down the world around me. “I, I’m sorry about your father’s death. I didn’t want to kill him. It’s…” I stopped talking as he took a step forward, slipping away from his mother as she tried, and failed, to place a hand on his shoulder to stop him.

“I do not like you.” Gar all but spat out as he ground his teeth. “I doubt I ever will. You killed my father.”

Nia took a step towards us, her brow creasing in worry, but I was less concerned. Precognition was not hinting at a threat. Yet, to be careful, I slid one foot back into a combat stance just in case it was wrong.

Just as Nia reached him and moved to place her hand more firmly on his shoulder, Gar took a deep breath and the tension in his shoulders eased.

“But you won the duel. That I cannot deny. You were stronger that day, and my father’s dishonour is my shame to bear.” Gar said slowly as if trying to keep his emotions out of his words.

“No, it’s not.” I countered, shifting out of my combat stance and taking a tentative step towards him. “The actions of your father are not yours. His choices, good or bad, are not yours. You are your own man.”

“Wise words,” Kraviss said in agreement, drawing the attention of both Gar and me to her. “Ones that match the ideals of a true Mando’ade. With this now settled, I hope there will be no issues between you two once sessions begin?”

“No Commandant.” Gar said, straightening his shoulders before he took a few steps backwards to restore the distance between us.

“No Commandant.” I repeated, recognizing a standard phrase when I heard one.

“Good. Now come on, while you are the most unusual of the new trainees, you are not any more important than the others. And they are likely growing impatient for their training to begin.” Kraviss said before she pivoted with practised ease and began to walk – well march really – towards Keldabe.

Everyone else, bar myself and Serra, quickly fell into step behind her, seemingly expecting this behaviour and used to the more military-styled approach. I likely would’ve followed instantly as well, but Serra’s brow creased at the Commandant’s words.

“They’re soldiers, or at least, act that way.” I explained. “Come on.” I moved quickly to follow the Mandalorians into their city, and Serra soon was beside me as we reached the rear of the group.

We walked quickly but quietly across the landing port, the people there seeming to step out of Kraviss’ way as she approached with a few even snapping to attention as we passed. Soon, we reached the edge of the city proper and I let my eyes wander without losing sight of the adults.

The buildings were just as hodgepodge as they had appeared during our approach, with us passing domed wooden shacks that sat next to duracrete angular warehouses. I swore I saw one building that looked like it was made out of glass, but before I could be sure, we had reached the main gates of the city – which were large enough that I felt I could drive a troop transport through them with room to spare.

However, instead of walking down the main boulevard, Kraviss ducked to the right and led us down an alley that skirted the wall of the city.

“While Sundari is now the capital of Mandalore, Keldabe is a city which has existed since before the time of Revan,” Nia explained without looking back at us, “and until the Dral’Han, served as the capital of our planet, sector and people.”

“Perhaps one day, it will again.” Wrajud added, though without any hint that he believed that might happen.

“Perhaps.” Nia responded as she glanced at the man and I wondered how the pair were going to work together with Nia being ex-Death Watch and Wrajud seemingly being not only a member of Pre Vizsla’s faction of Death Watch.

“Regardless, since neither of our newcomers have completed their verd’goten, nor have you received the permission of their clan elders to explore Keldabe, I cannot allow either of you to legally leave our centre and explore the city during your free time.” Kraviss explained to me and Serra without looking back as she continued to lead us through the alley, sliding with natural ease to avoid a man pushing crates into the alley from out of the back of a building.

“I do not need the potential problems that would occur if an accident befell you while you were off-campus.” She added as we stepped out of the alley onto a street that was smaller than the main thoroughfare, but one that was filled with the smells of dozens, if not hundreds, of different kinds of food. “Understood?” she asked as she stopped and looked back at us.

“Yes, Commandant.”

“Um, yes, Commandant.” Serra’s response was slower than mine, but I expected that, as I suspected did Kraviss, who gave us the briefest of nods before turning back and walking out into the street.

While the street was smaller than the one from before, it was more crowded. People flowed around buying and selling various foodstuffs and beverages and my sense of smell was overwhelmed by the mixture of flavours that drifted around us.

Kraviss gave Naz and Bo a nod before she, Gar and the other adults turned right. I moved to follow them when a spike of shock came to me through the Force. However, I had no time to understand why that was, or keep following the instructors, as Naz grabbed my hand.

As I turned to look at her, and she winked at me, I saw that Bo had done the same with Serra, explaining the source of the shock I had just sensed.

As Naz began to pull me into the crowd, I realised that I had lost sight of the adults and Gar, and while they were likely still with Detection on my minimap, it was hard to pick out anyone when there were tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in range.

We began to weave through the throngs of people with Naz seemingly knowing where she was going instinctively, and I began to wonder if this was some sort of test. Perhaps a way to prove that those who were to attend the Institute and train to become Protectors, were able to move quickly through a crowd, even while carrying a large bag.

I became more certain of this as we slipped between two stands – one selling bread, the other some kind of fruit – and headed for a narrow passage that was barely wide enough for us to enter side-by-side.

The only other option was that Naz was leading me into a trap, but given that she was unarmed, unarmoured and in the same narrow passageway as I was, I considered that highly unlikely.

Still, it was possible, so just in case, I kept an eye on where Serra was on my minimap.

While picking out anyone else from the throngs of people in range would be difficult, Serra was both Force-trained and shared a bond with me. This meant that when Detection was added to the minimap she not only shone brighter, indicating someone who was Force-Trained – and that was why I never bothered with using Detection in the Jedi Temple – but her marker seemed to pulse as we shared a Force Bond.

From what I could tell, she was heading down a parallel alleyway with Bo in the same general direction that Naz and I were, so I shifted my focus back to where I was, and where Naz was leading me.

A large floating bin suddenly spewed out into the passage we were in, cutting off our route at such a close range that Naz wouldn’t be able to stop in time. To prevent her from hitting the bin, I pulled her closer with my free hand and leapt with the Force.

“Eep!” Naz squeaked as we sailed over the bin – which beeped indignantly at us, letting me know it was a droid.

As we landed, I let go of her. “You ok?” I asked, noting her face was a little whiter than normal.

She nodded slowly, and placed her free hand – the other one still firmly gripping mine – to her chest.

As the colour returned to her cheeks she smirked. “Yeah. Just the first time I’ve been swept off my feet.” I laughed as she stepped closer. “Kinda fun, but next time I want dinner first.”

“R-right,” I replied as I did my best to ignore the innuendo, and the way my body was reacting to having her so close to me, “um, shouldn’t we keep moving?”

“If that’s what you want.” she replied, and before I could respond, turned and began to pull me along with her once more, resuming our journey.

As we all but flew across another street – from what I could see, it appeared to be a market street with stalls selling fabrics and pottery – I cleared my mind and worked on noting down the various streets, buildings, shops and locations to fill in my minimap.

Something told me I would need to know my way around in the future.

……

After being led through another dozen or so alleyways and back-passages, Naz took us through a small gate in the city’s walls and we exited into a large open clearing on the eastern edge of the city. On one side of the clearing was a transparisteel barrier that overlooked the cliff that encircled three sides of Keldabe, and the river could be heard rushing around the bend far below.

The far side of the clearing had a metallic gate and wall. The gate was large enough to allow four or five people to enter side-by-side and had a small, semi-circular glass dome above the apex of the frame. One side of the wall extended out over the cliff-edge suggesting there was an overhanging platform on the other side, while the other edge of the wall extended into the forest, vanishing as the foliage grew denser and darker.

Grouped around the area between the wall and the city were other children, with all of them looking around my age, and none having the green bar on their training gear that Naz and Bo had. Most were huddled around the few benches that littered the clearing, though some seemed to have slipped into the trees to use them for shade while they waited.

The only obvious sign of technology in the clearing, bar the wall and gate, was a large ring – about a metre across – that was half-buried in the centre of the clearing. That was probably a display interface as it looked very much like an enlarged holographic comm unit I’d seen in ships, at the Jedi Temple and in other places in my travels.

About a minute after Naz and I had arrived, Bo burst through the gate from the city with Serra in tow. Their faces were reddened, likely from running, but I sensed a flicker of embarrassment, arousal and shame coming from Serra.

Once we were gathered, Naz asked Serra and I that we had to wait here until the Commandant – who I suspected had taken a different route into the Institute – spoke with the new trainees. After that, she and Bo had approached the gate.

A blue light had shone on them from the glass dome and swept over them.

As the light stopped, and the gates opened – allowing the two girls to enter – I spotted several buildings inside the walled area. Having now seen it from above, and glimpsed inside from here, I was all but sure it wasn’t a true military base but instead a training facility.

Which, given to the name that the Commandant had used for the place, made a lot of sense. Even if I was a little disappointed as I’d been looking forward to experiencing a military academy in the Star Wars galaxy.

Moments after the gate had closed behind Bo and Naz, two older boys – well, either that or both had hit growth spurts before becoming teenagers – entered the area. They walked forward confidently to the gate where they were also scanned and allowed in. Given that both had two green bars in their uniforms, I suspected that the bars were what the scan was looking for. And that it likely worked as a form of RFID that compared their details to a central computer for security.

With nothing for us to but wait around, Serra had moved over to the forest-side of the clearing and sat down at the base of an empty tree. While she meditated, I kept an eye on those around us.

I couldn’t use Observe on all of them, not unless I also took time to meditate to accelerate my Player Point regeneration. I could only use the power about a dozen times before I needed to let the regen work. That, plus the fact it would also boost my FP regen as well, was why I was leaning towards taking Enhanced Regeneration with my Perk Point once I reached level 24.

Since I couldn’t Observe everyone, I chose to lean against the same tree Serra was meditating under and watch how those assembled reacted. Meditation wasn’t a definitive sign that someone was a Jedi – especially as neither of us were in our robe nor had our Padawan braids – but it was a decidedly un-Mandalorian thing to do.

Most people seemed unconcerned, if not overly happy, about Serra’s meditation, however, four did not. Those four sneered and earned themselves an Observe.

Andeeld Krhul, Erdar Skors, Tavuk Wirn and Jart Awaud were their names with all being under level 15 and being seen as a low threat – or less in Skors’ case. However, it was better to at least know where potential issues could come from, thus I made a mental note to keep an eye on them as best I could over the coming weeks.

Around twenty minutes after Naz and Bo had dropped us off in the clearing, a loud, brisk horn blared from the metallic ring in the centre of the clearing.

“If I may have your attention.” Commandant Kraviss said as a large hologram of her appeared from the ring, confirming my suspicion that it was a projector. “Good. You one hundred standing before me have been selected to attend the Keldabe branch of the Institute for Combat Training and Protectorate Selection.” Again, Kraviss seemed to cringe at the name, and I couldn’t blame her. The name was less than ideal, meaning it was likely the result of the New Mandalorians changing the name when they came to power.

“However, we only accept the best of the best. Therefore, only those of you who pass an initiation challenge will be granted permission to train within these walls.” As she spoke her eyes began to scan the crowd as I noted a fair few people I hadn’t seen come out of the forest. At a guess, there were now about a hundred people standing around the clearing.

“Some of you come from powerful clans, or have influential sponsors,” at this, her eyes seemed to pick out certain people, with her gaze stopping for a moment on myself and Serra.

“Inside these walls, those connections mean nothing. Merit, determination and skill are what matter here. We are not training privileged sycophants to become followers. We train warriors and protectors.” Her visage glared out at the crowd and I noticed a few people seemed to shrink into themselves under the gaze. I didn’t, as I’d seen far more intimidating glares from Dooku and instructors in my past life, but I was pleased to see that Serra, who had stood up when the hologram of Kraviss had appeared, stood her ground as well.

“As such, the challenge that awaits you all is to reach the centre of the Institute within the next hour and ring the bell located at the base of this facility’s flag outside the central command complex. Any who are unable to complete the challenge in the time allowed will have the choice of attending one of our satellite training centres or returning home and attempting the initiation trial next session.”

“Now, don’t forget your belongings. Oya!” Kraviss finished before the hologram flickered and turned into a clock that began counting down from an hour.

The clearing soon filled with voices as people began to discuss what the Commandant had said.

“Why didn’t they tell us about this?” Serra asked as she turned to face me.

I assumed she meant Naz and Bo. “They probably weren’t allowed to.” I responded with a shrug. “Question is how do we get in?”

I considered how we were going to get in as I mentally manipulated my minimap. Thanks to Eidetic Memory, it was already up to date with what I saw as I glanced through the gates and saw from above.

“If I’m right, there’s another gate about a click northward, and likely one more in the forest,” I said out loud for Serra to hear. Making it seem as though I was just pondering a plan. “But I suspect that there are probably traps and the like between those gates and us.”

Mentally, I went through a few ideas.

I could just leap over it with Force Jump, Phase through the wall, or Teleport to the other side. However, doing any of those would not only out me as a Jedi but also, for the latter two, reveal a power I was averse to letting potential threats know about.

“Why not jump the wall?” Serra offered, verbalising my first idea. “We can both clear that easily.”

“Yes, but If we just jumped it, it would out us as Jedi. Though perhaps we could climb one of those trees and…” My voice trailed off as I saw a group of three were trying out my thought. “Eh, looks like someone has the same idea.”

Even as I picked up my duffel bag and slung it over my shoulder, the lead one of the trio reached the edge of the wall.

They slowly leaned forward, trying to get a grip on the edge of the wall, suggesting that it was clear of any obstructions. However, just as their hand began to pass over the actual wall, a shield flared and the person in question jerked before falling from the tree.

“New plan?” Serra asked, and I chuckled at her comment even as we watched the other two leapt down from the tree to check on their friend. A quick usage of Observe told me the boy, Raun Wott was fine, if a little dazed.

“We’ve got time.” I answered as I noted that only a few minutes had ticked away from the floating clock.

A group of ten people moved passed us and entered the forest. They were heading along the wall, and I had to suspect that they were heading to the next gate in the wall in the hope it would be open.

Taking into account the fact they’d have to head through a forest, then factoring in the high probability of there being obstacles in their path, I suspected that it would take anyone trying for the next gate – which from my memory was located on the south side of the complex – about thirty minutes to reach it.

While that wasn’t a major thing, it could still leave them needing to get through that gate, though the likelihood that it would take long to do so was low since I estimated that at a fast jog it would take about ten minutes to reach the centre of the Institute. Which was where I suspected this flag and bell would be located.

Even as I considered all that, another dozen or so set off into the forest, with more trickling after them.

“Hmm, maybe the cliff-edge,” I considered verbally. “It would be difficult, but there should be some form of protection in case a trainee slipped and fell. It serves no one if a child dies trying to enter this place.”

“They’d do that?”

I shrugged at Serra’s question, having heard the concern in her voice just as easily as I sensed it through the Force. “Maybe in the old days. But I doubt the current administration would allow it. They’re very much into non-violence.” Which was about the nicest way I could describe the New Mandalorian faction.

“Then why do they allow this place to exist?” I turned to face Serra and barely managed to resist sighing in annoyance at the decisions taken by the New Mandalorians.

“Because the Protectors serve as a quasi-police force across the sector. And shutting them down, along with places like this, would anger those who do not agree with their thinking.” I explained slowly, making sure to keep my distaste for the ruling group under control.

Serra nodded. “Like us.” My brow rose which she must have seen, as she shrugged. “What? I don’t like the whole ‘peace at all costs’ thinking they have got either.”

“So why haven’t you said so before?” I asked as I noted that Serra had never voiced any disapproval about the governing group of the sector when around me.

She smirked. “No need to, at least when you’re around. I doubt I could come up with a better insult or comment than what you’ve said.” She chuckled. “Plus, unlike some, I understand the art of diplomacy isn’t just speaking softly while carrying a lightsaber.”

I opened my mouth to protest, only to close it again. A smile slipped only my face and I shook my head in amusement. “Fair enough.” I turned my attention back to the gate and its accompanying wall. “So how do we get in?”

It had been less than ten minutes since Kraviss’ declaration, but the clearing was all but deserted.

A group of about ten were looking to see if they could find a way around the wall where it overhung the river. Four more were examining the wall for some reason; probably in the hope that they’d discover a way to disarm or short circuit the barrier at the top. And the rest had taken off for the next gate.

Thinking the group at the wall might be onto something, I closed my eyes and reached out with Force Sight.

The walls were, rather unexpectedly to me, lacking much in the way of circuitry, with only a thin layer wiring that likely carried the shock current running along the top. I did, however, discover that there were about a dozen cameras placed in hidden locations around the clearing. All these were linked to the central holographic ring that had displayed Kraviss’ image, with a thicker cable running into the base. That likely carried the signals to a central monitoring station, which meant the staff were probably enjoying watching the newbies try to gain access to the grounds.

Beyond the walls, I could sense power lines and the like for the main base, but the area directly on the other side of the wall was much like the clearing. Small cables underground were likely for cameras, and other monitoring devices, but I couldn’t sense any defensive emplacements. That was likely because either they were offline or unpowered, or that Force Sight was not at a high enough level to detect such things.

As I deactivated Force Sight, I noticed that Serra had left my side and had moved closer to the gate; her head tilted to the right as she examined either the gate, the wall, or both.

With nothing else to do, I headed over to her, though not before picking up her duffel bag.

“What are you thinking?” I asked as I came alongside her.

“How did the gate know to let Naz and Bo in?” she asked as she focused on the scanner above the gate.

“Not sure. Likely the green bars on their uniforms,” I replied as I turned my attention to the gate and the small scanner at the top to the arch in the wall. “They likely held some form of code to allow an active student to enter.”

“No. I don’t think so…” Serra trailed off as she stepped closer to the gate and let the blue light of the scanner wash over her.

As the scan light disengaged, I opened my mouth to tell her that wouldn’t work, only for the gates to click, and begin to slide open.

“Son of a…” I muttered as I realised that my hypothesis about how the scanner worked was likely flawed, as it appeared that the scan was not linked to the green bars, but simple facial recognition software that ran from the central computer. And since it was letting Serra in, our details must already be in the system.

So I stepped forward so I could be scanned.

However, my latest theory on what the scanner was doing was disproven as when the blue light washed over me, the scanner beeped once, and the beam turned red. The gates that had been open while Serra walked through them – she was now on the other side – now began to close.

“Yeah, that’s not happening.” I muttered as I reached out subtly with the Force and grabbed each door, gripping them tightly with TK.

I could hear the gears in the wall struggling to power out of my telepathic grip, as I began to walk through the gate as though I saw nothing wrong with it not closing.

When I stepped through the gates, and onto the Institute’s grounds, and heard the voices of some of the few still in the clearing call out, I released my hold on the gears. The gate slammed shut so quickly behind me that I felt the breeze it generated, which suggested the motors had been sending more power into the gears to push the gate closed. As such, it was a good thing I waited until I was inside the gates before I stopped holding them open with the Force.

“I thought someone said we shouldn’t use the Force to get in?” Serra asked with a smirk as she leaned against a nearby tree with her arms crossed and one foot resting against the trunk.

“I never said we couldn’t use it, just that jumping the wall would’ve outed us as Jedi. Subtle use should be fine, so long as we don’t overdo it.” I responded as I pulled her duffel bag from my shoulder and tossed it to her. “And good job with the gate.”

Her smirk expanded into a full-blown smile as she caught her back and pushed off the tree. “Thanks.”

While she shifted it to her shoulder, I took a look around the area with Force Sight. It was as I had suspected.

The area seemed devoid of any defences, bar cameras and microphones that were dotted around the few trees near the wall.

The path that we were on ran towards a collection of buildings and there was nothing between us and them, bar open ground. While the overall lack of defences irked me, at least the open ground gave any defenders some benefits if the place was ever attacked. Though I still suspected that there were hidden defensive structures dotted around the place that I just couldn't sense as they were powered down and Force Sight was not strong enough to sense them.

“Are you coming?” She called and I turned off Force Sight and turned to see she’d taken a few steps down the path towards the buildings before stopping.

“Yeah. Just… thinking.” I replied slowly before I began to move.

“Well hurry up. Bo owes me fifty credits if we’re the first to ring the bell,” Serra said with a smirk as she began to walk. “Though I thought she was just talking about us being the first to arrive, not the trial.”

“And what if we’re not the first? Do you even have the credits?” I asked as I jogged a few steps to reach her side.

“No, but I know a famous author who I’m sure would be willing to cover for me.” She replied, giving me a smile and a gentle shoulder nudge.

I chuckled. “Maybe, maybe not. But I’d hate to lose my credits, so let’s get moving.” Though fifty credits were nothing in the grand scheme of things. Even ignoring the roughly two-hundred and eighty thousand credits I had stored in my inventory, I had more than enough to cover that with my books sales.

Since, in the roughly five months since ‘The Two Towers’ had been released, I’d earned just over thirty million credits. And while I wasn’t yet able to touch the money – Fay and Dooku held the keys to my account – and I’d transferred around five million to the Lokella to help them set themselves up, it was there. And once I was old enough, and likely made a Knight, then I’d start using it to prepare for the wars to come.

We began to jog, and after only a few minutes spotted a flag as it flew freely in the gentle breeze. The flag had the symbol of the Mandalorians on it, though this mythosaur skull was green on a black background, which from the lessons Bo and Naz had given us on the importance of colours to Mandalorians, meant that duty and justice were the two values held in the highest regard at the Institute.

We had to round a few buildings, but as we came into sight of the flagpole’s base – which was located in what was likely the centre of the facility and next to the only building that I’d seen inside the walls that was more than four levels high – I saw that Commandant Kraviss, Instructor Wrajud and Nia were waiting for us, along with three other adults.

None of them said anything until we reached the flagpole, and since it had been Serra’s idea to use the front gate – and yes, I was mentally kicking myself for not trying the most obvious solution first – I let her ring the bell first.

“Impressive,” Kraviss said as she and the other adults came closer after I had rung the bell. “Most don’t think to try the gate. Though it was only programmed to allow one through.” She turned her attention to me. “I was under the impression that you were not to use your abilities openly.”

“I have no idea of what you’re speaking of, ma’am.” I answered as I slipped into the relaxed military stance I remembered from my old life. “Though if the gate was not meant to let me through, maybe you should have an engineer examine the motors inside?”

I heard Nia chuckle even as the barest hint of a smile crept onto Kraviss’ face as she replied. “Hmm, perhaps that was all it was. Regardless, congratulations on being the first two to arrive. Instructor Varad here will take you to your billets.”

The woman she had indicated – a brunette with an impressive, or scary depending on your thinking, scar that ran through one eye – stepped forward.

“This way.” she stated before turning and marching northwards without making sure we were following.

I shared a look and shrug with Serra before we began to follow, and as we did, Nia caught my eye and gave me a smile and nod.

“Reveille is at zero-six-hundred,” Varad began once we had caught up to her. “You are required to be back at the flag by zero-six-fifteen for morning exercises. Meals are served in the canteen here,” she indicated a large building on our right. “Once you are in your assigned barracks, you will stay there until called for orientation at sixteen-hundred. During orientation, other facilities and locations will be revealed and their functions explained. Do not try to wander the facility until after orientation.”

“You will be sharing a room with up to three others. Upon each bed is a datapad. That datapad is yours for your time here. The rules for the Institute are the only available document currently on it. Read them and understand the consequences of violating any rule. Do you understand?”

“Yes ma’am!”

“Uh, yes, ma’am.”

Serra’s response was not as rapid or forceful as mine, but then again, she was used to the Jedi way and not a military approach. Regardless, Varad did not seem to mind or care as we marched along behind her onto a pathway that led into a cul-de-sac with seven buildings down each side of the path with a fifteenth building at the end.

Evaar-agol, newbies, are in the second barracks on each side. Girls stay on the left side, boys on the right. The end building is for trainee leaders and champions only.” Varad all but growled out. “Dismissed.”

Without another word, she turned and marched away, likely back to the flag to collect the next group as the bell had sounded twice on our walk over here.

“I thought we’d be sharing a room.” Serra said quietly once Varad was a dozen or so steps away. “N-not that I want to share.” She added on quickly as I raise an eyebrow at her statement.

“It would be easier in some ways if we did, but I had expected this.” I replied. “How about we take rooms that can see each other? Say, last room on the second floor?”

Serra seemed to perk up at that and smiled at me. “Okay. I’ll see you from there soon.”

She headed to the female barracks while I entered the male one.

[And you can use the time apart to practice communicating with me like this,] I said telepathically. [While difficult to manage, it’s a handy skill to have.]

I sensed her agreement via the Force, along with a mixture of confusion and hope.

As I entered the building, I chuckled at the familiar smell of a freshly cleaned military barrack. Even if the galaxy was different, it seemed that the smell remained the same.

As I climbed the stairs to the second floor, I noted that the place was in better condition than most of the barracks I had billeted in during my old life and was far more ‘‘user-friendly’’, it was still easy to see the military thinking that went into the layout.

Hopefully, that extended to the actual rooms and beds. The last thing I wanted was to spend the next few months in a military-style school with a lumpy or uneven bed.
    ……

……

My opponent’s fist flew towards my face with all the strength they could muster. However, thanks to my training and experience from my previous life – which translated into my higher-than-normal skills in this one – it wasn’t much of a problem to evade the fist by leaning back just enough that the fist, and connected arm, sailed harmlessly passed my head.

As the fist, and attached arm passed over my shoulder, I leaned away from my opponent and, exploiting the fact that the arm was extended, brought my hand up quickly and struck my opponent’s armpit was a knife-hand strike.

He grunted out in pain, and as he stumbled a few steps away from me, I struck his kidneys with a roundhouse from my far side. This caused his stumble to be more pronounced and he struggled to keep his balance.

Not letting up, I moved forward and turned until I was behind him and drove a foot into the back of one of his knees. As he began to sink to the floor I locked in a rear-naked chokehold and pulled upwards, making sure the bracers I was forced to wear were driven into his throat.

He struggled against the hold as best he could and pushed upwards in an attempt to regain his footing. However, I was hoping for that and let myself fall backwards as he pushed, and as we fell to the ground, I locked my legs around him in a scissor hold.

He tried to turn and move but the hold was secure and after about thirty seconds of trying to escape, he tapped my forearm.

“Winner, and still leader of Diryc group, Cameron Shan,” Instructor Wrajud called out with a barely hidden sense of annoyance. This set of a small round of applause from the other trainees who had been watching the fight.

I ignored them and released the hold, letting my opponent roll over onto his hands and knees, and stood.

“Well fought.” I said as I offered a hand to help him stand.

He coughed a few times and rubbed his throat before turning his head to look up at me. “You too.” he croaked out as he took the offered hand.

“I swear you’re getting faster Cam.” he said with a more natural-sounding voice once he was upright and standing, even if he was a little unsteady as we broke the grip.

“Nah, I’m just having to be more creative Thun.” I replied to the boy, which made him chuckle. Though after a few laughs, he began to cough and rubbed his throat once more.

As he did that, I considered the boy.

Thun Der was another of the students at the Institute and at the beginning of the session – the Institute’s terminology for a semester – he had been the top-ranked fighter, and the reigning champion, of Diryc (‘lower’ in Basic) age group.

Now, just over a Mandalorian month later – which in a strange quirk of calendars, was a few days short of a Republic standard month – he was third.

It hadn’t taken me long to assume the top spot for the group, even if I was about half a year younger than any other Mandalorian trainee, while Bo had moved into second place. Serra was currently ranked forty-ninth which was impressive when our group held a little over four hundred trainees, her ability to fight without the Force or a lightsaber was lacking, and she was younger than everyone here, bar me.

Naz, who was in Laamyc (‘higher’) group, was ranked fifty-seventh out of those roughly four hundred trainees. Gar Saxon was the second-ranked fighter in Laamyc group, and subsequently, the Institute since even the lowest ranker fighter in Laamyc group was ranked above anyone from Diryc group.

“Maybe you call it creative. For me it’s just painful.” Thun remarked as he placed a hand on the back of his neck and rolled it. “Still, it’s good to have someone to beat for a change. Last year got boring when I had no one to challenge. Oh sure, there were a few good ones, but none that have pushed me like you’re doing.” He chuckled as we stepped off the circular mat that served as the sparring ring. “And now I’m the one seeking out the fight. Fun doing the hunting.”

“Except when what you hunt is better than you.” I responded with a smirk, and he laughed.

“Keep telling yourself that. I’ll take you down one day.” he countered without any anger.

“Never going to happen.” I shot back, making him laugh once more before we headed to different areas of the viewing stands and I climbed the steps towards my seat.

As I climbed, I considered the last month, and what had happened.

Orientation had taken place when Instructor Varad had stated it would, with Commandant Kraviss giving a speech about the ideals to which all Trainees had to hold themselves to.

After that she had briefly introduced the instructors, though only Wrajud and Range-Master Marod were identified of the returnees before she mentioned Nia and two others - Tor Skirata and Monk Kumus – were new instructors.

Nia would only be working with Diryc group, likely due to her son and niece being in Laamyc group, but that was useful to me as it gave me a semi-friendly voice among the staff should I ever need one.

Skirata, who was only twenty-one, was serving as her assistant, which made sense, while Kumus was assigned to the close-quarters-combat training group with Chief Instructor Wrajud.

From there, she moved onto explaining the daily routine, and as she spoke, it felt to me that the Institute was very much what I imagined a military academy on Earth would be like. Though with more emphasis on combat than academic studies.

Reveille was at zero-six-hundred with everyone expected to muster at the flag within fifteen minutes for morning exercises. Breakfast was at zero-seven-thirty with morning classes – which were more academic in approach – running from zero-eight-hundred until lunchtime.

Our afternoons were to be spent on more combat-focused studies with us alternating between time in a classroom and one of the various ranges and challenge courses the Institute had. And during the first afternoon, when the Instructor had gone over the various tactics and strategies that would be taught, something unusual had happened.

My Warfare [Ground] skill had evolved into three new skills; Small Unit Warfare, Combined Arms Combat and Planetary Warfare.

Small Unit Warfare was where most of the XP from Warfare [Ground] went, which made sense as it was the skill covering tactics used by small squads and that was what I’d spent the most time learning and practising in my old life.

Combined Arms Combat covered the use of armour and air support along with infantry and while the basic principles were the same, the way combat was approached here was different that my old life; likely due to the fact people in this galaxy used blaster technology and that for Mandalorians at least, jetpacks were semi-standard equipment.

Planetary Warfare was a skill that covered warfare on a world level, akin to commanding full armies in a world war or leading an invasion of a hostile populace from orbit.

I had spent time after the class wondering if something similar would happen to Warfare [Space] but the Interface informed me that evolution of the skill could not happen until it had reached Professional 1.

Evenings also alternated between singular sparring sessions – like tonight – and team-based games. Though those ‘‘games’’ reminded me more of military training exercises than something designed for fun, like say paintball. I’d also gotten a new skill – Mechanics [Blasters] – from those classes.

That skill covered the regular maintenance, how to repair your blasters, and at higher levels, it conferred the ability to alter a blaster or even design your own, similar to the customization mechanics of the KOTOR series, but obviously far more involved. Learning it was something that I should have thought about studying earlier, since it was something I dealt with in my former life, however since I had barely used blasters since arriving in this galaxy, I could forgive my oversight. Though the Interface had been kind enough to grant me about a dozen levels in the skill, obviously drawing on my memories from my old life and finding a few things that could be carried over.

I’d asked if we would learn how to repair and maintain armour, but the Instructor had informed me that, due to instructions from Sundari and the ruling government, those classes covering the usage, maintenance and customization of melee weapons were only available for Laamyc group. Which was also true for melee combat; hence why I hadn’t taken any training quests linked to those skills.

Wrajud then took over and had explained that there were competitions for the range training, individual sparring and team drills. And as he explained the competitions, three quests were generated by the Interface: Sniper Elite, Alpha Dog and Force Recon.

Sniper Elite
    Prove your worth with blasters.
    Rating: B
    Objectives:
    :-: Be ranked in the top 20 of Diryc group with a blaster rifle by the end of session.
    Bonus: ?
    :-: Be ranked in the top 20 of Diryc group with a blaster pistol by the end of session.
    :-: Be ranked as one of the top 200 students in the Institute with a blaster rifle by the end of session.
    :-: Be ranked as one of the top 200 students in the Institute with a blaster pistol by the end of session.
    Rewards:
    :-: 2000XP
    A minor increase in Reputation with all current members of Diryc group.
    :-: 1500XP
    A minor increase in Reputation with all staff and students at the Institute.
    Failure:
    :-: -800XP
    A minor decrease in Reputation with all current members of Diryc group.
    :-: 550XP
    A minor decrease in Reputation with all staff and students at the Institute.

:-: -550XP
    Alpha Dog
    Prove your worth in unarmed CQC.
    Rating: B
    Objectives:
    :-: Be one of the top 16 ranked fighters in Diryc group by the end of session.
    :-: Reach the quarterfinals of the end-of-session tournament.
    :-: Be crowned the winner of the sparring tournament, and thus the new Akaan’lor, of the Institute.
    Rewards:
    :-: 4000XP
    A large increase in Reputation with all staff and students at the Institute.
    Failure:
    :-: -550XP
    :-: -1500XP
    Force Recon
    Train your team to be one of the best.
    Rating: A
    Objectives:
    :-: Be one of the top 12 ranked teams in Diryc group by the end of session.
    :-: Reach the quarterfinals of the end of session team tournament.
    Rewards:
    :-: 4000XP
    An increase in Reputation with all current members of team Brown-Nine.
    Failure:
    :-: -1500XP
    A minor decrease in Reputation with all current members of team Brown-Nine.
    :-: -1000XP
    None of those objectives were too hard to reach, though the team quest – Force Recon – was clearly harder as it wasn’t just based around my own skills, but that of the team I’d been assigned to. That team composed of my three dormmates along with Serra and her three dormmates.

I suspected that at least one bonus for each quest was linked to me not actively using the Force, and if that was the case, it shouldn’t be too hard to achieve as, after the orientation, everyone was called to a formal assembly where Chief Instructor Wrajud had outed me and Serra as Jedi.

Nia and Commandant Kraviss did not look pleased about this. Hell, if Nia’s glare could kill, Wrajud would’ve been nothing but a pile of ashes.

But it hadn’t, and Wrajud had then stated that due to our inherent advantages, we would both be forced to wear and activate Force suppression bracers while involved in any of the combat competitions.

While the bracers were annoying – and carried a penalty that increased the cost of using any of my Force Powers by eight hundred per cent – I had quickly adapted them into my combat style, as proven when I’d used one while locking the rear-naked-choke on Thun in my just-finished spar.

Curious as to why Wrajud had done this, even as most of the assembled trainees turned to glare at Serra and me, I used Observe on Wrajud and discovered he hoped that revealing our status would drive a wedge between us and Bo and Naz. From that, and what I saw from Observe before, I wondered if his plans for Naz were centred around a way to merge his clan with clan Vizsla. An idea that became more obvious when I discovered that his son was in Laamyc group, and the defending Akaan’lor, or in Basic the ‘Fighting Champion’.

In the month or so since Wrajud had revealed our status, things hadn’t gone according to his plan. Apart from me being the top-ranked unarmed fighter in Diryc, I was also ranked in the top thirty in the entire Institute for my pistol and rifle marksmanship. (I’d likely be ranked higher but the first few times I’d fired the weapons on the range, I’d forgotten that things like wind and air resistance were less of an issue for blaster bolts compared to round fired from guns in my old life.)

Also, my team, was ranked eighth in Diryc, with no other newbie team was ranked above twenty-second, and their rankings in the other tournaments were also climbing as I took the time to teach them tricks for both unarmed combat and marksmanship.

Add onto that the fact that Bo had been spending at least two nights a week tutoring Serra to help her poor marksmanship and improve her ability to fight unarmed, and that by being revealed to the others, it had allowed Serra and me to show that not only were we here to learn, but also respect and follow Mandalorian traditions, it was likely that Wrajud’s plan had already failed.

“Yeah! Good job Cam!” Andeeld Krhul called out, drawing me out of my thoughts.

Force Disruption Field Disabled
    Whatever was causing the disruption and suppression of your Force Powers has ended.
    All costs have returned to normal.

I mentally sent away the notice as it simply meant that the Force suppression bracers were deactivated, and as I unclasped them from my forearms, I kept my attention on Krhul.

He had been one of the children who’d sneered at Serra when she’d meditated before the initiation test – a test that every trainee passed - on the day we’d arrived at the Institute. Through a quirk of the Force, he had then ended up as one of my three roommates in the barracks.

His opinion of me had fallen to disliked not long after discovering I was a Jedi – and I suspected that had happened with many others, as Wrajud had planned – but his opinion had begun to improve after the first week and now my Reputation with him stood at Neutral. Though given to how he was, I suspected it wouldn’t be long until my reputation with him changed to Liked.

Krhul came from a family of traders on Concord Dawn, but he had no interest in business, instead preferring the way of the warrior and since I had taken to tutoring my teammates in both close-quarters-combat and shooting, we’d developed the beginnings of a friendship.

“We knew you could do it Revanite’Alor.” added another member of Brown Nine, and the one serving as the second in command of my team, Huzu Cadora, even as I grimaced at the nickname Bo had given my team; The Revanites.

Somehow, someway, I was going to pay Bo back for that nickname, especially since the name was now used instead of the official name of Brown-Nine on the leader boards.

Though the fact that I had been assigned as leader of the team made me wonder if Nia – or perhaps the Duke himself – had had something to do with it. I doubted that Kraviss was keen on making a Jedi a team leader, but someone had convinced to do so.

Now, while I could have picked Serra for the role of second-in-command, she was far too willing to just accept my suggestions and picking her would have further alienated the other members of our team.

Thankfully, Cadora had no issue with me being a Jedi. Which likely stemmed from the fact that a Jedi had saved her uncle from Weequay pirates near Felucia, and she was willing to question my ideas if she didn’t agree without going so far as to be insubordinate.

The rest of the team, save Serra, added their voices to those of Krhul’s and Cadora’s. Serra instead just radiated confidence and calm through our Force bond. She hadn’t yet reached the point where she could actively communicate with me via the bond, but I felt it was only a matter of time until it happened as her thoughts and feelings were becoming clear to sense. Strangely, they were also bleeding through less and I wondered if learning to use the Force to speak telepathically actually helped a Jedi control how their emotions bled into the Force.

The rest of our team was composed of Mirali Redi, Ginia Aran, Bhae Bralori and Raun Wott.

Redi and Wott were my fellow dormmates with Wott being the second son of a semi-major Clan chief from the Planet Harswee while Redi, like Krhul, came from a family on Concord Dawn. Though the two had never met until they shared a transport to Mandalore.

Aran and Bralori were daughters of minor clan leaders from Cheravh and dormmates of Serra and Cadora. Their families were long-time allies of both each other and Clan Kryze, though like most of the trainees at the Institute, they were not big fans of the New Mandalorians and the failed to understand why the Duke had allied House Kryze with them.

“Please don’t call me that Huzu.” I muttered as I sat down.

“But you are the leader of The Revanites, why shouldn’t we use it?” Mirali asked and as he turned to look at me, he did nothing to hide the smirk on his face.

“And you are the Revan’ade, are you not?” added Bhae with a wink as she leaned forward so she could look around Krhul to see me. “Or was Bo-Katan just tricking us?”

“I’m going to kill her.” I mumbled as I watched Bo step into the sparring ring I had just vacated. She was going to face off against Balei Saryus, who was ranked sixteenth in the fighting ring and lead the highest-ranked team in Diryc group.

Thanks to the way the spars were set up, it meant that if Saryus lost the spar, he’d slide back seven places in the ranking – half of the current difference in their rankings. This loss of ranking for failure acted as a way to limit Trainees fighting people far above their ranking to jump to the top. Well, unless one was sure of their ability to win.

However, if Saryus won, which I didn’t expect, he’d take Bo’s place and everyone from Bo downwards would lose a place until they reached Saryus’ old position.

“Five on Bal.” Wott stated as Wrajud began to step out of the circle.

“Ten on Bo.” Serra responded, using the nickname since the girl in question wasn’t present. I shook my head even as I allowed myself a wry smile.

In just over a month Serra had gone from being uncomfortable and confused around Bo to having total trust in the other girl. It was great to see her do so, as it shifted her attention from me. Though even there, things had been better, and I wondered if the talks that she’d had with Master Fay had covered more than just the dangers of going too far with a political ideal.

The klaxon sounded, and Bo and Saryus began their spar while the next challenger stood at the base on the ring, awaiting their turn.

I leaned back into my seat and began to analyse the fight and I wondered if Saryus would surprise me and pull off the win.

……

……

“Relax. Take your time. Watch the way the sights rise and fall with your breaths.” I said to Krhul as he lay prone on the floor and aimed his rifle downrange. “Time the shifts in motion as you breathe. Learn them. And once you are sure of the timing, take your shot.”

Nearly half a minute passed before Krhul’s rifle sent a bolt of energy down the range. I looked up at the camera which showed the target – that was two kilometres away – and saw the bolt strike the target in the right shoulder.

“Kriff it!” Andeeld growled out. “I missed.”

“But you’re getting closer.” I responded as he moved back to a kneeling position and switched the rifle into safe mode. “We’re still a few weeks away from session-break and you’ve moved up nearly a hundred places already.”

The session break was a week holiday that took place roughly halfway through a session to allow the trainees to head home and catch up with their friends and family. Bo had already informed me and Serra that we’d be staying with her in Sundari, but I wondered if either of my Masters would return to check in with us.

Krhul chuckled as he unclipped the charge pack and handed it to me. “Yeah, but when you start dead last, that’s not saying much.” He replied as he carried out the standard safety checks on the rifle before standing. “We can’t all be as gifted as you.”

“I’m not gifted. My grandfather was just a big believer in being prepared.” I explained, sticking to the excuse I’d been using for a while that the reason I was so comfortable with a blaster was due to Vaner Shan. It was either that or have everyone assume I was somehow still using the Force to help my aim. Which I wasn’t.

So far, I hadn’t needed to do so, though I knew there would come a day in this life where I would need the help of the Force to make an all but impossible shot.

Most of the Diryc group seemed to accept that I was simply good at combat, but I’d caught the odd whisper or glance from students in Laamyc group that suggested they didn’t believe that was the case.

Naz had also passed along a warning via Bo that there were rumblings of discontent about a Jedi – and the ‘supposed’ descendant of Revan – showing up Mandalorians on their planet. Especially since I was now ranked fourteenth – out the entire eight-hundred-odd trainees at the Institute – with a blaster pistol and ninth with a rifle and had not been dethroned as sparring leader of Diryc group.

I doubted the rumblings would be an issue, but if they were, I’d make sure to prove to the other Trainees just how good I was when the end-of-session tournaments came around.

“Cam, there’s being prepared, there’s being ‘‘prepared’’, and there’s being born for war,” he chuckled and shook his head as we walked to the Range-Master’s area. “And you are most certainly the third option.”

“I don’t go looking for battle Ande.” I said, using a shortened form of his name, as I placed the blaster pack on a table while he showed the rifle was safe to Range-Master Marod.

“You may not look for it, but it is drawn to you, Revan’ade.” Marod said, adding his two credits to the conversation.

Dun Marod was in his mid-sixties and was missing one ear that, according to Institute legend, had been lost to a Rancor during his verd’goten. He didn’t speak much, but his words and presence carried a lot of weight around the place with even Commandant Kraviss deferring to him on the range. “Like your ancestor, you are born for war. It calls to you.”

“Well if you know how could you ask it to stop calling?” I asked with a smile, which made Andeeld chuckle, “Or at least leave me alone for a few decades? I’d like time to become a Knight before it calls me again.” And have time to prepare for the real war I knew was coming.

Even as I became closer to the people here, I wondered how many would one day follow me into battle and die because of it. And how many wouldn’t, and then die by my blade. It was a sobering thought to always have rattling around in your head, and why I was trying to enjoy my days as much as I could without the looming war to come dominating my thoughts.

“War waits for no one, Trainee.” Marod said as he turned and placed the rifle Krhul had given him on a rack to his left, “Not least those to whom it calls. May Kad Ha'rangir walk with you, Revan’ade.”

I frowned at the word that Marod had used – was it a name or title? – but couldn’t ask him about it as another pair of trainees came up behind us to return some pistols.

Kad Ha'rangir?” I asked Krhul as we left the range and began to walk back to our room.

I noticed he was frowning and as he answered he slowly shook his head. “He’s one of the old gods. The Destroyer God, bringer of change and growth.” Krhul chuckled once to himself, though it was devoid of any humour and he licked his lips before he spoke again. “I… no one talks about the old gods anymore. Or at least I didn’t think they did.”

I didn’t reply, and instead, I let silence settle over us as we walked.

……

“I really don’t want to be linked to a god of war.” I muttered to myself as I stepped into a shower cubicle about an hour later. Range-Master Marod’s words still playing in my mind even as I turned on the water.

He wasn’t exactly wrong, as I was here to get involved in a galactic war, but it wasn’t why I had come to this universe. And while I kept telling myself that it wasn’t true, I couldn’t deny that there was a kernel of truth in what he had said.

Almost all my plans since arriving had been geared towards preparing for the war to come and…

**THUMP**

Whatever thoughts were rattling around in my head vanished as something crashed into the door of my cubicle. Even with the sound of the shower, I could make out the faint hints of laughter. That was likely coming from the four beings that Detection was showing on my minimap were standing in the common area of the shower room.

As I turned off the shower and turned to the door – and mentally scolded myself for being distracted by the Range-Master’s words and not keeping an eye on my surroundings – I activated Enhance Sense for my hearing.

“Yeah, we’ve got him. Go have your fun.” a voice, one that was deeper in tone than those I knew, said. The tone was hushed, but with E-S active, I had no problems making his words out.

I gave the door an experimental push, but as I suspected, it did budge. Though I did hear something scrape as I turned the handle suggesting that they’d blocked that before putting whatever they had in front of the door to trapped me inside.

“We will. And we’ll make sure to record it.” another voice replied. While this one was also deeper in tone, it was slightly distorted suggesting it was coming from a comms device.

I pushed at the door once more, though more for show than in a real attempt. If I really wanted out, I could just use the Force, and so far, this reeked of nothing more than a bad attempt at hazing. Though the fact there was another group somewhere also up to something had me concerned.

“Who’s out there?” I called out, trying to draw the four into a false sense of security even as I reached out with the Force and began to slowly move the object – likely a baton – that was blocking the door handle from fully turning away.

“We don’t want your kind here, Jetii,” answered a new voice that dripped with venom, “neither you or the girl.”

“At least she’s a girl,” a third voice added with a chuckle. “Sure the others will enjoy that.”

As two of the others chuckled at that, I felt a cold shiver run up my spine and my anger flare. It took all of my control to not blast the door – and whatever object was blocking it – out of the way with the Force.

“Kriff Drum, she’s still an adiik.” the first voice, the one who’d spoken into the communicator, countered. “I still say they shouldn’t go that far.” He added with his distaste clear to hear in his voice.

“By a month!” Shot back another, likely this Drum. “I saw their records Lanze. She’s old enough for some fun.”

I clenched my fists tightly as my anger rose even further. They were going to…

“You will open this door. NOW!” I all but shouted as I used Force Compulsion with the words.

As my anger continued to grow, the more rational, mature part of my mind told me that I shouldn’t lash out. That it wasn’t the way to deal with things. But the younger, more emotional side was all but screaming at me to hurt them for what they were doing. To make them pay.

“We will…”

“Zoma? What?” I heard someone move only for something to happen and it sounded as though one of them had just shoved another to the floor.

“Huh? Wha…”

“The Jedi tried to trick you! We’re not going to fall for that!” Drum called out before laughing. “We’re not going to fall for your little tricks.”

I felt the baton – or whatever it was – slide loose from the handle and took a hold of the large object - likely a bench given to what was in the room – with the Force as I opened my move to respond.

[CAM!!!]

I fell to my knees and grabbed my head – my hold on the two objects failing and the baton bouncing off the door and bench to the floor – as Serra’s voice screamed in my head. Terror, disbelief and primal fear flooded into my mind and I closed my eyes to tried to block her emotions from overwhelming me.

Then, in an instant, I was calm again. Too calm and I logically knew that Player’s Mind had auto engaged as it regarded this as a combat situation.

[Serra? What’s wrong? Where are you?] I called out, hoping against hope that she would respond. Instead, all I got back was the building fear and terror that was overwhelming her and had almost done the same to me.

“What’s the matter JetiiI? Womprat got your tongue?” Drum asked before he and the others laughed.

“Enough of this.” I stated and with a simple wave of my hand, the door to the cubicle flew off its hinges.

For a second, as the door, bench and baton raced away from me, the three boys that I could see – the fourth was blocked by the door – all froze in mid-laugh. Their eyes began to process what they were seeing, and they all did a fair approximation of a deer caught in the headlights. However, none had time to react as the bench crashed into the two of them – lifting them off their feet and into the wall – the baton struck the one I suspected was Drum hard in the stomach, while the door crashed into the fourth, sending him, and the door, tumbling out of the room.

[I’m coming.] I sent to Serra as I stepped out into the carnage.

With a gesture, I dragged Drum, who had sunk to his knees after the baton had struck him, towards me, before lifting him until we were eye-to-eye.

“Pray that they have not hurt her,” I said emotionlessly. “For if they have…”

A flick of a finger sent him upwards, crashing into the lights in the roof which shattered as he smashed into them, drawing a scream for him as the glass and wiring dug into his back.

“I’ll be back.” I finished as I stepped forward, summoned a towel to my hand, and walked over the fallen door, without any concern if the boy underneath was conscious or not.

As I stepped into the changing room and ignored the sound of Drum crashing to the floor behind me – and groaning in pain – I noted that no one was present, and turned my attention to my minimap.

It took a second to locate Serra. She was in one of the private training rooms near the sparring hall, and there were six others with her.

A quick check confirmed the room next door was empty and, after wrapping the towel around my waist, I Teleported there.

The main reason I hadn’t teleported directly to Serra’s side was that the fear and terror from her had lessened considerably. A secondary reason was that, without emotions clouding my thoughts, I reasoned that it would be preferable to not reveal that I could teleport to people I didn’t yet trust, while another reason for my caution was that Serra should still have access to the Force, so even though she mentally screamed out to me, she should still have her abilities to defend herself with if she did not have her hidden lightsaber with her.

I stalked out of that room – taking the simple door to the room off its hinges as I did – and turned towards the training room where Serra was, noting that said door was open, and the shadows of five people could be seen from inside.

“She’s under the protection of my clan, Morn,” Bo’s voice growled out of the room. “You touch her and there’ll be war.”

I said a silent prayer of thanks to Bo for being there and made a mental note to thank her for this, as I stepped into the doorframe.

Bo was standing between five older boys. Her eyes were locked on the boys – there was the barest hint of recognition as my eyes caught hers – and her fists were clenched tightly as they held a pair of batons, with blood dripping from the left one.

The boys were scattered around the room, as was most of the equipment, but all had their focus on Bo and Serra. I noted that the equipment, bar the crate Serra was leaning against, was spread out chaotically around the room with the epicentre of the chaos being where Serra was.

Serra’s arms were pulled close to her chest and I could see her shaking even from here. Because of where her arms were, I could see that she was wearing the Force suppression bracers and that they were active. Likely this had been for while sparring with Bo, but her attackers had clearly used that against her and timed their assault for before she had deactivated them. Though why she didn’t have the components of her lightsaber, was unclear. And I made a mental note to ask her about that, and how she’d managed to call out to me with the bracers active, after this situation was handled.

“Your father has no power here Kryze.” the lead boy, likely this Morn fellow, replied. If I had the name right, then he was Tardol Morn, the fifth-ranked fighter in Laamyc group. I’d seen him spar once and he was good, but I knew I could take him one on one. Five on one, however…

[Stay still.] I commanded Serra as she shifted a little in response to seeing me and I held a finger to my lips for Bo’s benefit. The redhaired girl didn’t react to my gesture even as Morn continued to speak.

“We don’t recognize anyone who grovels with the dar'manda.” That statement drew comments of support for the other boys.

“I’ve always wanted a redhead.” another muttered loud enough for me to hear.

Bo’s eyes narrowed and, even with Player’s Mind active, I felt something inside me convulse at the idea of him touching her. Though that feeling passed almost as soon as it appeared, and I took a step into the room, and moved silently towards the nearest of the five.

“You challenge my clan?” Bo all but spat out as she shifted her eyes back to Morn.

Morn, rather unexpectedly, laughed loudly. “What clan? Your father and brother are aruetiie, while your sister is off learning from her Republic overlords.”

I watched Bo as she ground her teeth, but she was unable to come up with a response to Morn’s accusation. I knew she resented her father and sister, but that it was so much that she couldn’t even come up with an instant response to defend them spoke volumes of the loathing she felt for their choices.

And made my hopes of reconciling the two girls that much more difficult.

“I bet the reason she’s protecting the Jedi is they’re shacking up together,” another of the attackers, the one closest to me, suggested before laughing once. “I’ve heard rumours about her and the Vizsla girl.”

“What about the Wren girl?” the boy who had commented redheads offered. “That one looks like a right firecracker.”

“Maybe we need to re-educate them.” the fourth offered, and I felt Serra’s fear spike as he looked at her. “I’m sure this one just needs the right persuasion to learn her place.”

“We...Argfwcx.” Whatever Morn was about to say died as he reached for his throat. As did the others.

“For that, I should kill you.” I said, revealing my presence.

I stalked forward as best I could – it’s hard to be intimidating in nothing but a towel – giving the one who made the redhead comment a swift kick to his knee, and Morn a punch in his gut, until I was even with Bo.

There, I turned to face the five.

“You call yourselves warriors?” I spat at Morn’s feet as I directed my anger at him. “Pathetic. You’re cowards, nothing else. You trapped and threatened my friends here while your cohorts ambushed me, they failed by the way.”

I glanced at Bo as an idea came into my head. “You talk about Clan Kryze as being dar’manda yet know nothing about why Duke Adonai made his choice. What would you do if someone killed your mother, your wife, your child? Would you have the courage to step forward and try to lead your people? Or would you turn tail and run? Try to find the closest rock to crawl back under?”

As I spoke, I tightened the grip on their throats and by the time I’d finished my little speech – hopefully, the message had gotten through to Bo – all five were on their knees.

“I’d call you no better than Hutts, but at least they have some morals.” I finished.

“Y-yo-u’re… no-t…” Morn gasped out as he, and the others continued to claw at their throats.

I stepped forward and leaned down until I was right Morn’s face. “Not what? Mando’ade? Maybe not yet, but even now I’m more honourable than you’ll ever be.”

I squeezed my fingers together and Morn’s face slowly started to lose colour.

“No-t… Re-va-n…” Morn added, as he somehow managed to bring the faintest of smiles to his lips. Even as he continued to struggle against my crushing of his neck.

I laughed back at him. “You’re lucky I’m not. If you had attacked his friends, he would’ve killed you where you stood. Me, I’ll let you live.” I finished as I increased the pressure of my Force Crush to the point that if I held it for much longer it would damage their vocal cords. “Maybe.”

“I…I’…ll…ki…ill…yo…u,” Morn barely managed to get out as his face turned white.

“You could try,” I responded as I further tightened my grip on his throat, and he gasped fruitlessly for air. “But on the day where you grow the balls to actually do so, I’ll embarrass you so badly that you’ll never again have the courage to pick up a blaster.”

“Trainee Shan! What are you doing?”

My head snapped up and I saw Nia standing in the doorframe. Her brow crashed into her eyebrows, and her eyes narrowed as she glared at me, and I took an involuntary step backwards, releasing my grip on the boys and sensing Player’s Mind deactivate as I did so.

“These… boys tried to attack me and Serra.” Bo replied, seemingly unconcerned by the glare; or at least, used to it. Also, from what I could sense of her emotions, she wasn’t surprised to see that Nia had arrived, and I wondered if Bo had somehow alerted Nia to the issue. “And from what Cam said, another group attacked him while he was in the shower.”

Nia’s eyes focused on me, and her lips twitched fractionally. “At least that explains why you’re running around in nothing but a towel.”

My lips moved as I considered responding, but I decided not to and instead closed my mouth.

“H-he tried to kill us!” Morn blurted out in a wheezing, cracked voice as he rubbed his throat. “With Jedi tricks.” The other boys nodded in agreement.

Nia scoffed as she looked at him, and his accomplices, as she took a few steps into the room “If Trainee Shan wanted to kill you Trainee Morn, he wouldn’t need the Force to do it.”

She turned her attention back to me. “However, I’ll need you all to…” her voice trailed off as her eyes moved passed me to focus on Serra. “Trainee Keto? What happened?”

I pivoted to take a good look at Serra, even as she seemed to shrink in on herself.

“I heard Serra scream,” Bo began as Serra started to shiver.” They had her pinned against the crate, and Morn ripped her top open and…”

I didn’t hear what else she said as my anger flared, and I spun back around. My fist flew out and struck Morn flush across his cheek. I heard the sound of bone breaking as he fell to the floor.

“AGH!” “Shan!”

As Morn groaned in pain, and Nia called out my name, I drove my knee upwards into his jaw, again hearing something break, before driving my heel down hard into his groin.

“TRAINEE SHAN!” Nia bellowed even as Morn fell to the floor in a heap; his eyes rolling back into his head as he did.

I backed away from Morn, my anger finally coming under control – and the damage done – as Nia stormed across the room and knelt beside the boy.

I turned around, not caring about Morn, and Bo gave me a nod and smile, which I returned with a nod of my own. However, my focus was on Serra.

I moved closer to her, but she pulled back as if trying to sink into the crate. I sighed and turned to Bo.

We didn’t say anything, but she understood, gave me a sad smile, and then moved to help Serra.

“Trainee Shan,” I turned around again not see Nia was now standing and glaring at me. “While I understand your anger, and agree with it, attacking another Trainee is a violation of the Institute’s code of honour,” she explained. “As such, I am forced to give you a formal reprimand.”

“Understood Instructor Vizsla.” My response was bland and as unemotional as it could be when I was within sight of Morn.

It did state in the Institute’s rules that fighting another trainee – outside of a sparring ring – was a violation of the code, and would result in a formal reprimand. Three such reprimands in two years would see the student expelled, while other actions – like being caught murdering or raping someone – would result in the offender being handed over to the authorities for trial.

While that was what I wanted to happen to Morn, Drum and their groups, I was concerned that since the two incidents took place in areas with no cameras, it would devolve into a ‘‘he said, she said’’ situation. In those cases, the settling of the problem, and the application of punishments was at the Commandant’s discretion.

She sighed even as she fiddled with her gauntlet. “And since this involves so many trainees, and at least two trips to Medical, I have to inform the Commandant about this.”

As the holographic projector on her gauntlet flicker to life and display a small hologram of another person, she spoke again. “I need medical and security teams in training hall zero-six.”

“And the showers in my barracks.” I offered. “Their friends tried to ambush me there.”

She locked her eyes on me. “Tried you say? Hmm.” She turned back to the hologram. “And the same to the showers in barracks nine.”

She closed the link and turned her full attention to me. “While we wait, perhaps you’d like to explain what happened here. And how you managed to get over here, and into the training area, without being scanned in?”

“Ah,” I began as I rubbed the back of my neck and shrugged, “the Force?”

Hopefully she, and the Commandant would buy an excuse of Force bullshit as to why I’d gotten here so quickly. I’d rather not have to go into specifics and explain that Jedi could teleport. No need to reveal that trick to potential enemies.

……

As before, you can find me on the server for this story in particular, and Star Wars in general: discord . gg/UM89QfyQk3
    Or in Shiro's Omniverse: discord . gg /wd3tUYWVCd
    Regardless of if you join one, both or neither...
    May the Force be with you. Always.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  24. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

I’m glad you timeskipped, because otherwise we’d get dragged down in the minutiae of school life. Think Harry Potter Book 1, but markedly less interesting. Shows great skill in writing, and excellent judgement!

TheGuy, I slay gods, KASM01 and 20 others like this.
  25. Flygar

Flygar Getting sticky.

Sucks that she reprimanded him for beating a would be rapist. It will be interesting to see if they try to hush this up, and Cam's more than likely bad reaction therein.

IEU097, nomster, I slay gods and 14 others like this.
  26. Russian conscript

Russian conscript Not too sore, are you?

The fact that any mercy was shown annoys me

ukatz, I slay gods, KASM01 and 12 others like this.
  27. Goudeauboywade

Goudeauboywade Not too sore, are you?

Never a dull day for a Jedi.

S!ËGFR!ÊD and Grimmouse197 like this.
  28. GrandmasterEli

GrandmasterEli Versed in the lewd.

I understand you’ve been trying to put distance between Serra and Cam, but if this is a way of you trying to further create distance, I can’t really say I agree with the methods. Even if it kills two birds with one stone.

ukatz, nomster, DrakenWise and 21 others like this.
  29. USSExplorer

There will be more time skips as the arc progresses
    Don't like to just jump massively, but yeah day to day stuff can get very boring very quickly

30. USSExplorer

She reprimanded him as she's a teacher there (even if she agreed with him she still has to follow the rules)

Mercy was shown bc the "New Mandalorians" don't favour more... aggressive forms of punishment. However, a 'trial' will occur next chapter that should satisfy you.