1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, that was sloppy as Hell, even the Doombot excuse would have been better that the whole Boss Dark Side thing. Either have Orion kill Darkseid or not, not have Darkseid killed by Orion only not cause he was reborn as a human!

2. Threadmarks: Back Door (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

9th July 2012
    02:12 GMT

Kalmin lifts his facemask out of the way and steps back, his face a rictus of hate.

"I didn't want to believe it. Even of a man like Varnathon. Selling qwa weapons to aliens."

"Yes." Hinon breathes in and then out again. "I'm concerned for slightly more practical reasons. Ship-scale qwa-matter weapons would be extremely difficult for our current fleet to deal with."

"Weaponer Kalmin? Do you think that Varnathon would share the technology?"

"At the moment I would believe anything of that man. But I don't believe that the other Weaponers would tolerate it. Or if they did, that the Thunderers would. Though…"

I frown. "What?"

"I haven't been in contact with other Weaponers for a long time. I cut myself off when the weak-willed fools left me alive rather than kill me after casting me down. It's… VarnathonMight have turned enough of them… Weakened them."

"Or killed them."

"No. If he couldn't even kill me, I doubt that he'd assassinate Weaponers in good standing. They'd stand their ground and fight back."

"Or perhaps that's why he'd kill them. You weren't a threat to him. They are."

"Then he is an alien wearing q'ardajin skin." He moves his mask to cover his face. "I will deal with the matter myself."

"I can't in good conscience-"

Hinon squints at me.

"-let you return to Qward on your own."

"You want me to go back with more aliens?"

"Qwardians have always been able to hire mercenaries. Many peoples aided the Anti-Monitor, even if q'ardajin history describes your people as being paramount among them. I've never asked you to make qwa-energy weapons for us-."

"If you had, you'd be dead."

"I've never asked you to make qwa-matter weapons for us, and the Reach is my enemy. And I suspect that Controller Hinon would be far happier if I made the q'ardajin my enemy as well."

"To put it mildly."

"Varnathon is not q'ardajin. He is merely Qwardian. As are any who follow him." He presses a couple of tools into the recovered weapon and detaches what I hope is the qwa-matter reservoir. "But I will tolerate you accompanying me."

"Thank you, Kalmin. I'll finish my current mission and then return here."

"Mn."

He picks up an analytical tool and takes a closer look at his former colleagues' work. I turn away and walk towards the exit. Kalmin has done his level best to make it impossible for me to reach the Honden from here, and while I suspect that I could power through his defences if I put enough effort in I don't really want to damage his equipment like that.

"This is interesting."

Hinon drifts along beside me, looking thoughtful.

"In what way do you find it interesting?"

"A potential q'ardajin civil war. Under the First Weaponlords there was always enough group cohesion that such a conflict never happened. Successful leaders bore enough respect that they could give orders and simply assume that they would be obeyed. And they were. The attempts of this 'Varnathon' to change their civilisation might be just what we need to cause it to break apart completely."

"Is that desirable?"

"With willing servants of the Anti-Monitor? Yes, definitely. With any luck they'll be reduced below replacement levels and in a handful of generations we will be able to write their species off entirely."

"When was the last time Kalmin dest-?"

"Oh no you don't. I can follow your reasoning perfectly well, and I'll tell you now…"

She increases her height slightly and glares at me.

"I'll consider the q'ardajin salvageable when Kalmin renounces the Anti-Monitor."

"If that is your condition, then I accept. Anything else?"

"You'll do it too, won't you."

She rolls her eyes as I smile, reducing her height and turning away.

"I'd like to meet your new acolyte. In the event that you succeed it might be helpful to have a 'before' and 'after'."

"Certainly, Controller."

A heartbeat

and then I'm standing next to Lantern Gozzi, who is watching the L.E.G.I.O.N. military police unit lead away the people we captured and load them into a prisoner transport.

"Ready for the next stop?"

"As ready as I can be without knowing what it is."

I flick a mote of orange into her ring.

"Dox is happy for us to tackle these in any order. Since you expressed a preference for variety, I thought that we'd deal with the Leentniar privateers next. Unless you have another preference?"

"It has been too long since my last combat mission. For a while after I transferred to Amalak's headquarters staff I periodically accompanied field teams, but I stopped after I realised that my presence was an unnecessary distraction."

"And it had nothing to do with the increased percentage of pirate recruits?"

"On the contrary." We rise off the moon, heading towards the system's edge. "Those groups assumed that I was 'Amalak's woman', and were unfailingly polite."

"I don't have a lot of experience with alien cultures. Is that sort of thing common?"

"Not wanting to offend members of your employer's family? Yes, most successful species have instinctive familial and tribal bonding. Thus, most individuals work out that insulting the in-groups of those in power over you is a sub-optimal strategy. Why do you ask?"

"My girlfriend joined the Darkstars on my recommendation. She's perfectly qualified, but I.. thought at the time that Director Jeddigar was a bit quick to accept the idea. Nepotism is officially frowned upon on Earth, and Jade certainly wouldn't want to get a position she didn't earn."

"I don't have enough data on the individuals involved to make a conclusion. In general, I would suspect that if you haven't involved yourself actively in her placements and she's been there a while, that it is unlikely that her association with you has amounted to anything more than a tie breaker."

I nod.

"Most recent ambush site first?"

She nods, and space bends as we leave the system.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes, yes it is.

Good luck with that.

Ahh Paul, changing people's outlook on the world, and so soon after Mars.

Probably.

Probably worried Amalak was going to make them walk the plank, or more accurately shoot them out of an air lock.

Really hope this thing with Kalmin will be what will get him to make a blue ring for Kori.

Or Paul can probably hire another q'ardajin to do the job.

4. inck

inck Getting out there.

is paul gonna get more construct-lanterns?

he could ask mammon for a few of his most troublesome demons, or assimilate some evil space pirates or something. or even just get some more praexis demons?

and also, will we ever see teekl again? cause i miss teekl...
    or will paul get another constuct-pet?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Really enjoyed this chapter, seeing Kalmin and Hinon again. But especially, Paul accepting the herculean task of getting Kalmin to renounce the Anti-Monitor. I can't wait to see how he does it.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Qwuardian civil war! What could go wrong! :D

I mean, even worst case one or two semi-livable universes should be left, right?

Right?

Guys?

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

If you want my take: maybe, but probably not.
    Construct minions are mighty and useful, especially once Paul has trained them up, but Paul isn’t likely to convert any allies into constructs. If Paul assimilates someone and makes them into a primary asset when he’s fighting or handling chaos crippling unwanted Order, then the ideal scenario is that he Wants him/her/it to be a construct.
    You see the problem? Consider the person Paul wants Paul to be, to act like. And then figure out how owning a slave long-term lines up with that.

The best scenario I can come up with is that Orange Lanterns that die and are accepted into the Orange Power Battery (and Honden?) will be stuck as Orange Constructs 2.0- they’ll have souls, so they can think beyond pure avarice, but they cannot be revived by any known means. In the meantime they are Orange Constructs who regularly hop into the rings of affable living Lanterns, hitching a ride onto their adventures and following orders at their discretion.

Buuuut there are a whole lot of ifs required to make that happen.

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sounds like he got OL's message. And he clearly is not happy about it. I bet he's planning to choke a bitch...

My goodness, that's a lot of anger. It's a good thing two seniors are there if he gives himself a heart attack... And the strategic and tactical implications aren't much better...

The people taking a very dim view of such heresies, I see. I wonder if it's possible it's been done very, very under the table...

So, they might not have been as devout as Kalmin thinks they are... That's a bad thing for everyone...

Who says he's doing the killing? There are plenty of mercenaries to be found in both dimensions.

Now hold on a second, pilgrim. Don't you have a prior engagement?

Interesting byplay. I wonder what Hinon's thinking right now... Besides 'Why is he trying to help the apocalypse-worshipper?'

Yeah, that's be a blamming for heresy, right there.

Yes, well, she remembers the Anti-Monitor's last little attempt to undo.. everything. Anything or anyone tied to that? Not on her nice list.

I'm sure OL will be happy to act as your spearcarrier and second. Because I just know this will end up involving duels. Lots and lots of duels.

Yeah, I'm guessing he's not happy about having to wait. On the upside, it gives him lots of time to prepare his weapons.. or make new ones.

:p What, OL actually walking somewhere? Is that so unusual? He likes to put people at ease, and nothing counters that than floating above them.

A chance for a Maltusian to mess with one of the Anti-Monitor's greatest allied factions?

Again: Allies of the Anti-Monitor. In Hinon's mind, that's enough to justify anything... Which is worrying.

You may channel the orange light, OL, but she's saturated in it. Her species is practically designed to channel Spectrum energies...

Well, that won't take long. OL's on the case!

Of course he will, he's got Protagonist Power. :D

Which will have to wait until after this operation, I suspect. Bit of a flight from their location to Maltus, isn't it?

Because of course being in charge lets you delegate the boring work.

Hey, Orange Lanterns work best going in blind, letting their hearts lead the way.

Another original concept, I assume. Guessing they're raiding L.E.G.I.O.N ships exclusively...

Suggesting impropriety on the recruits' part? Amalak would have had their reproductive organs removed...

If it isn't, I doubt they'd have any friends before long...

Still feeling that niggling doubt, are we? It's like the worm in the apple, curled up in there nibbling away...

He has been hands off, hasn't he? I suppose she might have a few Darkstars around who think being friends with the mate of the Corps' Illustres might be good for their career... But I doubt she tolerates that kind of thing...

On to the next sidequest!

Well, there's the likely plot of the next episode: Kalmin returning home to kick ass and take names.. So he can keep track of who needs to die. Meanwhile, time for OL to kick some privateer ass.

9. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Kalmin should totally channel his anger and make a red ring. :V

10. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

OLC need an animal mascot. The can't let the (currently nonexistent) BLC win with their corgi. Maybe it's time for Paul to assimilate a dog?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

One day she may learn that trying to understand Paul is a fruitless task.

To be fair they are practically a race of omnicidal maniacs that would work without hesitation for a being that wants to destroy everything.

12. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

FTFY :D
    Since he is going there and all...

13. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

now that is a pretty fucking cool idea. the irony being that Paul wouldn't end up there, as he has already set up an afterlife with Hades. although with all of the work Paul's put into bolstering Hades' power and ensuring a long-term existence there, i'm curious if he would be able to look at that investment into Hades as a sunk cost and opt for Orange Light Afterlife. especially if he can merge with the Ophidian again after dying, and hopefully become the new Snake. and then... wind up in Gate universe?

also, Zoat... gimme some Lobo?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  14. Mr Zoat

Okay...

[​IMG]

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

For real though, is there any chance of Paul ever deciding to hire Lobo for a job. As obnoxious as he is, he is good at being a bounty hunter/mercenary.

16. Mr Zoat

The problem with involving Lobo is that it involves involving Lobo.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

For some reason I'm reminded of this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

His Season 2 appearance suggests that this setting's version of Lobo is sufficiently Lobo in the ways that make him useful, while not being too Lobo in the ways he's a liability.

19. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Least sexual Lobo I have ever seen. It feels like all his excess was removed. I want to know more/why he is different.

20. Threadmarks: Back Door (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

9th July 2012
    02:27 GMT

In the vast expanse of space, even large ships are very small.

Small ships aren't all that much smaller, proportionally speaking. But wrecked civilian ships are… Depressing. Someone put a lot of work into building this at some point, and now it's just torn apart. I can see the cloud of ice crystals where the plumbing has been holed and exposed to the void, the ship's inner workings just as visible as the cargo hold and main drive. Bodies, too. Anyone close enough to the points of impact was fried or blasted apart, then exposed to vacuum. Anyone wanting to identify them would have to perform a genetic test. Further in, the bodies are more intact. They appear to have had enough time to seal their suits before the boarders shot them.

Oh. And it's just now occurring to me that I didn't check Krypton for bodies. And I'm not spiritually motivated this time; Amalak's situation has made me extremely aware of the necessity for preserving the genetic diversity of species that are nearing extinction.

"An interesting offensive use of spatial distortions. Not only does it bypass standard shield technologies but it also muddies their trail."

I settle for turning up my empathic vision and looking around-. There. It's not hard to find pirates. Privateers. Enemies.

"But you can track them anyway?"

"Certainly. The calculations aren't so complicated that I can't perform them. What I'm more curious about is how they stopped this ship in interstellar space."

I didn't pick up anything in the wreckage, but a ring can't show me things that aren't there.

"No clues?"

"I would guess that they were able to get ahead of their target and create a disruption which forced them to return to normal space. Ordinarily I would assume that they had advanced notification of their target's planned route, but the sheer volume of space would make a simple betrayal insufficient for their purposes." She shrugs. "It will be easier to interrogate them than to attempt to deduce it based on the available evidence."

I sigh, and she frowns curiously at me.

"You must have seen things like this before, surely."

"Have you ever seen an exploded planet?"

"No. Am I likely to?"

"Depends if you got to Rao or not."

"Rao? Krypton? I knew that it was destroyed, but I assumed that whatever did it was limited to the surface."

"No, the whole place went up. The core exploded, and huge amounts of the planet's mass got converted into radioactive crystal. It just.. occurred to me: I assumed that their records would have been completely destroyed, but it's not impossible that some record of Amalak's species survived. It's not likely, but I'll… Try and find time to check."

"I'm trying to calculate what could cause something like that. It would be very strange. And there's little point; the radiation would have destroyed any data storage unit on the planet that the explosion didn't."

"Unless they had a backup off the planet." I shrug. "It's not very likely, but there are only so many possibilities. How do you want to handle this?"

"Our best information is that the privateers aren't advanced enough to stop even one Lantern. I would surmise that the Reach intend to spread the war as widely as possible, since they have demonstrably failed to stop Lanterns by force."

"Logical enough. Though I think it's more that they've manoeuvred themselves into a corner."

"How so?"

"The Reach don't have allies. They have thralls, slaves and puppets. Who exactly could they get help from?"

"Qward."

"They can buy stuff from Qward. I could probably buy stuff from Emana, that doesn't make us allies."

"Our records on Qward make it clear that this behaviour is out of character for them. You encountered an elite qwardian warrior during the initial negotiations which led to the founding of L.E.G.I.O.N.. It may be that Varnathon has a genuine alliance in mind, and is prepared to take such a risk. He was after all prepared to leave Kalmin alive, which must have involved a certain amount of risk."

"Or he's planning to conquer the Reach from within." I shake my head. "If a Thunderer throws a qwa-bolt at my head you can say that you warned me."

"That doesn't sound productive. If they do, you'll already know. And I think I will take the lead. I'm concerned that my time away from the front line has dulled my reactions. A few years ago I wouldn't have been hit by that neural impacter. But… You saw him, didn't you?"

"I saw hostile intent. The gun was a surprise to me as well."

"And you didn't warn me?"

I shrug. "Your construct armour looked solid enough to me. Are you aware that you can set your ring to move you out of the way of an attack as soon as an attack is detected, without needing a conscious decision from you?"

"Yes, but I'm Coluan."

"You're a Coluan who got shot."

"I can think faster than any-. I can't think faster than a Maltusian AI, can I?"

"I would be surprised. And impressed."

"Follow me."

The stars ripple as she bends space, then she's gone. I give her a moment or two to arrive, then

appear

next to her.

There isn't a base so much as a larger ship with four smaller ones attached limpet style to its hull. Not that unusual a configuration; the larger ship is probably the only one with a faster than light drive, while the others are designed more for agility and sublight speed.

"Attention raiders. This is Lantern Gozzi of the Orange Lantern Corps. Surrender now. This is your only warning."

Construct armour and shield for me, but Lantern Gozzi appears to simply be masking her energy emissions instead. We're far enough away that that's a reasonable response; space is vast, and their guns don't look like the sort to be able to affect a wide enough area to hit us that way.

Ah, yeah, yeah, they're looking, and the generators on the parasite craft are increasing their output. Looks like they're going to try and fight…

I narrow my eyes and try to spot the familiar outline of Reach neural programming. No, but they're all reasonably committed. If the captain says fight, then a fight's going to happen. I might be able to repeat what I did last time and talk the rest of the crew into shooting their commander, but I'm content to let Lantern Gozzi handle this.

She handles it by surging forward, a construct breaching charge blasting a hole in the mother ship's hull to allow her access. I drift in that direction, using her ring to monitor her progress as she engages the crew directly, their weapons failing to penetrate her personal shield as her construct sidearm finds their vital organs. She's already made it to their bridge as I get on board, the few crew who were trying to attack her from behind throwing down their arms as they see me.

"Illustres. Bridge secure. But their database suggests that we may have another problem."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

suggest -> suggests

22. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I'm kind of expecting Eradicator based on the Krypton discussion.
    And I feel like Superboy Prime version of Paul will be the next Multiversal big bad.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, since Gozzi will be Paul's apprentice, will she be following him for the next few episodes? She would be an interesting choice, and her cold logic will be a good foil to Paul's unique mindset.

24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

What species is Amalak again?

Gilhelmi and ChestBurster like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Seriously, maybe the Maltusians can help with that.

And there's always the option of making more Kryptonians like renegade is doing, or releasing the criminals from the Phantom Zone whose sentence is over.

In your new line of work?

Yes.

Good thinking.

It is possible that something could have survived.

Kryptonians are, or were, very advanced.

Well it could have been Brainiac, Zod and his war plans, a lunatic trying to stop what he sees as a threat, or the God of said species putting them on an unstable rock because a really depressing person told him to.

She's so logical.

Not bad for a newbie.

Technically all versions of Paul are like Superboy Prime, in that their from a universe where the comics are made and are sent to the DC universe.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Okay, let's not start quoting the opening of the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, please? :rolleyes: I know, the opening is right there... Do please control yourselves... :p

Clearly not interested in prisoners for ransom, then. Probably easier to raid their stores and systems without a crew to defend it... Or they were just assholes.

:sneaky: Oh, now you think of that? Too bad, the station the Renegade picked up has probably fallen into the sun or something by now...

Hardly a challenge for a Coluan, after all.

In other words, there's no trace of whatever caused them to stop here. Could have been a fake distress beacon, could have been a gravitational interdiction field. Who knows?

So, time to go track down the gits. Easy peasy.

Two years experience, remember? And a lot of that as on Earth - no space travel.

It would be quite the tourist destination, if not for the shattered planet... And the radiation... and Rao knows how many killer AI defence stations lurking...

And perhaps find a certain lunar station and its' resident memory engram?

To be fair, whatever blew up Krypton was weird. Enough force to shatter a planet, but not destroy the chunks entirely, nor the little starships carrying the last of the Els...

Operate on too wide a front for the NEMO command to manage? Possible but it stretches their own forces thin as well...

Like I've said, anyone who isn't an actual Reach citizen is an asset to be used, exploited and eventually disposed of. It's a pity so few of the races they trick don't catch on until it's too late.

Of course, Kalmin will be sorting that out soon enough...

I honestly doubt this Varthanon is wily enough to play so long a game. But we'll see soon enough, no doubt.

Of course, OL isn't so foolish as to not wear the heaviest armour he can get away with... What's Lantern Gozzi wearing again? Basic field gear AKA the leather onesie?

Would she accept that lack of direct control?

See, this is why the Computer Tyrants got one over on the Coluans. Meat can't work as fast as metal or crystal.

:p Think she's getting a little annoyed?

Heh. Looks like the privateers didn't go too far, it seems. Far in interplanetary terms, at least...

No need for subtlety here, I see. Hopefully she's got the sense to avoid the firing lines of any of their heavier weapons.

This will be quick. Five precise shots and they get a taste of their own medicine.

So, what approach shall she take? Diplomacy? Precise disabling shots? Or...

...The sledgehammer method, eh? Well, they really were outclassed, weren't they? She could probably use the win after her showing in the last system... Sure, she's not showing it, but she must feel something over having been less useful out there.

Guess we'll see what the privateers have to say for themselves tomorrow, as well as what Lantern Gozzi found in their systems. Any guesses, folks? I'm betting something related to how they stopped the ship they killed...

...before the boarders shot them.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Could you control yourself?

Obviously no.

Or all of the above.

It's usually either something Zod or Brainiac did, another guy trying to kill what he sees as a threat, or divine shenanigans.

He may be. We haven't really seen all that much of him.

For some reason I'm thinking it's connected to the Anti-Monitor.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So nice to see protagonists who are allowed to just curb stomp enemies. Recently I've read too much "but pluckiness will help you overcome any technological disparity"

29. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Even metal and crystal are inferior compared to the pure bullshit of the emotional spectrum.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    His homeworld is called Timaron.
    Thank you, corrected.
    They're mooks. Only 1 hit point.