1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

Ah yes, Integrity, that word doesn't apply to him post MCU.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  2. TheMythNerd

TheMythNerd Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Alright, I'm slightly confused. Did OL marry Hera or is Hera seeing someone else, and based off previous chapters am I right to assume that Zeus is, in fact, not overly mad about his divorce?

3. anirocks

anirocks always lurking

even cap needs his retirement buddy

Vorian likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul convinced Hera to divorce Zeus and based on the previous episode she may start to date Adam Blake, aka Captain Comet.

When the Angels invaded Paul was attacked by some lighting from Zeus, and we later found out that Zeus tried to have Hades send Paul to Tartarus, so he's probably a bit miffed.

5. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

This frustrates me in ways I can't quite articulate.

6. TheLunarwolf

He didn't get retirement, He just basically murdered Peggy Carters Kids, and Grandkids, after complete degeneration of his character.

Infinity War and Endgame are basically the nail in the coffin of Captain America's character as a hero, in the MCU.

I mean... It's just bad. Objectively speaking Captain America's "retirement" is just a crap cannon.

Caerwen, Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Hahahhaha. Love it.

Prince Charon likes this.
  8. moralrelativity

If you are able to express it, I'm happy to hear it.

"Frustrates me" reminds me of how, for a couple of decades, I used to feel when others weren't using English as I learnt it at school, four decades ago.

Prince Charon and jasonh23761 like this.
  9. TheMythNerd

TheMythNerd Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

So... Is Zeus going to undergo some kind of Apotheosis and become a better person before Hera considers getting back together with him or is this where he completely loses his mind and gets deposed as ruler of Olympus? Or better yet, OL counsels drunk Zeus, and sends Zeus off on an inter-galactic 'getting know myself better trip' on which Zeus becomes a Zen Monk and becomes a King Solomon level, King?

Excuse me... I'm writing this half-awake so if I said something insanely stupid... just let me so I can erase this comment's existence. Chao!

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  10. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

He didn't, though? The way time travel works in the MCU, Peggy Carter's kids and grandkids were always his own kids, because he had always time travelled back in time to be with her.

11. TheLunarwolf

Which means, which is kind of worse, He'd always left Bucky to 70 years of torture and being a murderbot instead of saving him.

Which means that all those people he murdered in civil war to help Bucky "escape" are people he chose not to save, even knowing what he'd do.

Look, There's no way Steve Rogers comes of the MCU looking like a good guy.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if Zeus becomes a better person, which I doubt, that's not a reason for Hera to get back together with him.

He may get better and Hera could acknowledge that he has become a better person, but she may not want to have anything to do with him since he spent thousands of years emotionally abusing her and she just doesn't want to be around him anymore.

13. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

MCU Steve did not go back in his own timeline. MCU uses branching timeline, just like this fic after Mandated Paul changed it. He went back in time and created a new branch. No one was erased. Technically speaking he created a whole bunch of new lives. That does open up the question of how moral it is to create a branch in the timeline. If that universe is a net negative, it could be creating a lot of suffering.

Personally I have always hated that speech. It isn't integrity, it is stubbornness. If the whole world is telling you something is wrong, the rational thing is to take a step back and reconsider. Being willing to reconsider your position is not a lack of integrity.

14. Threadmarks: Back Door (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

9th July 2012
    06:35 GMT

I open my eyes, blinking at the light-. I'm in space, right. Ring?

Inbound communication. No movement of Leentniar ships detected.

Answer.

"Illustres. I have… An observation, regarding our situation."

I undo the clamps I used to anchor myself to a piece of rock floating through the system I'm keeping an eye on. I don't have any trouble sleeping in space, but I've yet to develop the skill of sleeping without some sort of surface. Plus, it helps mask my heat and light radiation.

"And what's that?"

"We have both assumed that the Leentniar would continue with their previously observed behaviour. But in this region the Reach have only expanded."

"As opposed to..?"

"Temporarily retreated. The Reach have known setbacks before. The Leentniar simply had the misfortune to be in a region where that hasn't happened."

"Alright."

"L.E.G.I.O.N. ships in this region recently enforced a member world's territorial claims against a Reach 'trade mission'. The Reach-affiliated ships were destroyed or fled."

"And that's the first time they could have seen that?"

"I… Can't say that for certain, but based on their known movement patterns it seems likely."

"So… What, you think they're heading home because they know that the Reach are beatable? That doesn't seem-."

"No, of course not. But it might prompt them to speak to the Reach directly."

"Directly?"

"We don't know how they view the Reach. But they are the only outside influence they allow to affect them."

"I see what you mean. The Reach define how their civilisation works. And we know that the Reach don't have any problem with using auxiliaries. But why would they bother?"

"Additional weaponry or other supplies. Perhaps some form of exotic transportation or an interdiction field bypass."

"To quote Tuvok; 'a logical, though highly speculative, analysis'. And I'm not hearing an application."

"We know where the closest Reach-inhabited worlds are, and we know where the closest 'pacified' worlds are. There could well be records there that would give us more information."

"There would also be fleets, defence networks and scarab warriors."

"There are ways to bypass those."

"Yes, and I'm pretty sure I could manage them. You haven't had that ring for nearly long enough. Do you know how many Orange Lanterns have died in this war so far?"

"Yes. Zero."

"And I intend to keep it that way for a little while longer. The Reach aren't a group of minor pirates who don't bother with data security."

"Neither are the Spider Guild. Or the Psions."

"Only the Psions really compare, and they never had the population, mental flexibility or industrial capacity that the Reach do. Or anything like their experience with Lanterns."

"'Use orange lasers' hardly requires Coluan intellect."

"It does if you actually want to hit anything. Orange lasers barely even work for point defences; they go through constructs."

I pause for a moment to think. I know where the nearest Reach world is without needing to stare into space; unlike Psions, Reachians are actually fairly nice to each other. Unlike the Leentniar they have a functioning civil society. They've pretty much perfected the dual moral standard. Their serfs… I can feel them too, though they have a good deal less orange in them. When we start liberating those worlds I want to make sure that their behaviour is fully documented, so I can use it to browbeat anyone who questions my use of the orange light on a philosophical level.

But with regard to the actual issue under discussion: is it a good idea for me to appear on a Reach world? The Reach know that we can do things like that, but they must also know that there's some sort of limitation to the ability due to the way we don't use it all the time. If I do it carrying no other equipment and… Don’t immediately jam all communications and kill all life on the planet, I'll be giving them a good idea that it's a me-only thing. Might be worth suggesting to Dox that I jump a fleet or two around without being outside the ships, so that it looks like it's not dependent on me.

"I'm going to say 'no', not without stronger evidence that we'd actually get something useful out of it."

"I understand. I'll keep working on creating a way to detect their spatial distortion drives at extreme range."

"Any thoughts on whether they'll swarm a place en masse or probe it first?"

"There are no records of them sending in the industrial portions of their fleet until after the target is thoroughly defeated. I believe that they will send a fleet that is strong enough to do the job but which won't be a critical loss if it is destroyed. Are we planning on destroying it?"

"We're having a plan to do that. But my preference is to negotiate either their surrender or an alliance."

"How will our local affiliates feel about that?"

"About as happy as Commodore Amalak was about me negotiating terms with the Spider Guild, I imagine. They might make a noise, but by definition, the people they've acted against are either dead or under Reach dominion now. The worst they've done to anyone in L.E.G.I.O.N. is light commerce raiding, and they can pay reparations for that."

"The Queen had to be comprehensively defeated before she would agree to that."

"The Guildmasters had to be killed before the Queen was in a position to agree to that. And it's not as if I can't defeat the Leentniar. That's just a sub-optimal outcome."

"Will you be encouraging them to agree with you?"

"No. Quite aside from the fact that a culture secure enough to fend off Reach social conditioning efforts would have protocols in place to prevent me doing that, I want to make it an honest choice."

"As you did with the Citadelians."

"Quite. There's a book I read a few years ago. I think it was called 'Hyperion'..? Something like that. One of the characters had an interesting interpretation of a famous passage from one of my planet's religious books. The classical interpretation is that by not forcing Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, God showed mercy to a faithful man. The reinterpretation was that Abraham wanted to know if this new god was worth worshipping. If he maintained his demand for human sacrifice then he clearly wasn't. Abraham was genuinely willing to kill his son to gain that knowledge; God demonstrated that he was worth worshipping by not insisting that he go through with it."

"Both I and the orange light respect people who follow their desires. That doesn't mean giving them free rein under any circumstances. Some desires are mutually exclusive. If a person wants to stay true to their faith rather than amend it and live, I respect that. And I kill them, or they kill me. I only ask people to think things through before committing. I-."

My ring blinks again, images of the Leentniar ships momentarily replacing Lantern Gozzi's head. Not in a system either of us are in, but we can get there before they reach the only inhabited planetoid.

"Will continue this later."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'they are'

Yeah, I remember that they even thought they could go against Apokalips when Renegade visited them.

The genetic that they get in their pods and the social conditioning that follows is not good for mental flexibility.

'their surrender' or remove their and and make it 'either a'

'god'

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, someone wanting to talk. Presumably Gozzi, though I wouldn't discount someone like Guy or Alan. Let's see what they want...

Gozzi, then. I wonder if she;s had some sort of intuitive breakthrough concerning the current mission, or if this is just a philosophical chat between master and student...

Heh, completely trusting his armour and Enlightenment to keep him out of danger while his conscious mind is taking a powder. Not bad.

Ah, You think the Leentniar might break their pattern based on hearsay from other sectors?

Bet that set a few bricks amongst the Leentniar command's trousers... I wonder what impact that would have on them...

Knowing that the inevitable, unbeatable enemy you've known and feared all your life isn't all-powerful would be quite a shock...

I mean, their homeworld is probably dozens of lightyears deep within Reach territory, long since converted into a colony. Home would be impossible to return to.

Perhaps the Leentniar might think they can earn a world to keep from the Reach, one they won't have to leave someday?

True, whether they plan to change strategy or not means little. In the end, it just comes down to being able to talk to them...

The risk well outweighs the rewards...

Not as many as the Reach would hope for?

Huh, not bad. I'm guessing the Lanterns have only been deployed when they have the best chance of success though. Once real fighting begins, and the Reach has adapted to Orange Light users, there's likely to be casualties...

Admittedly, some of the Reach's techniques for dealing with Lanterns have already begun to show their weaknesses. They're already scrambling for new options, no doubt...

And no Lantern worth their salt would allow themselves to get hit by light-speed weapons. Unless they had some manner of laser-resistant armour. But the energy levels used by space-going laser weapons is a bit beyond personal defences, isn't it?

After all, if you can't hold the moral high ground, then you've already good as lost the fight on a cultural level...

Better not to go poking the sleeping dragon in its lair. Not without a lot of preparation.

Whatever keeps your mind on the job.

No point risking the more difficult to replace stuff if there's a chance an enemy could deal damage to them.

That's for Dox to worry about, really. As long as the Leentniar stop their cycle of nomadic raiding, I suspect locals will be happy enough.

It's a big waste of time and effort, for one, if they can be talked down.

The few survivors, you mean? If I recall, didn't the majority of them commit suicide by guard-turret? And the few that didn't didn't join them mostly because they were near-catatonic in shock? ;) Not the best example...

Huh. That's an interesting idea. And I can see their point...

The key thing is making that choice with all the information they need, and a head clear enough not to be overwhelmed by emotion?

Ah, the time has come, I see. Lets see if they'll talk to OL or just try to steamroll past him...

Well, looks like we'll see if OL can achieve his goal, or of he'll be forced to take them down hard. Let's hope it's the former. Destroying another race would set a bad example for his student, after all. On the other hand, it'd show her how he sticks by his decisions, regrets be-damned... Quite the conundrum...

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless they've pissed off someone enough that they want them to be punished.

19. moralrelativity

imagines -> images

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, who is God in this little metaphor?

Is Paul the one testing others, to see if they are worth dealing with? Or is he the one being tested by being tempted to just override others? Or is the point two honest desires meeting and testing each other?

22. fappingtoyourpost

fappingtoyourpost Know what you're doing yet?

I think OLs meant to be isaac. Willing to kill you on a sort of "if you say so" justification.

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

free rein

24. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

ah yes. one of the weirder sci-fi series i've read. "let's spend eternity impaled on a big metal thornbush"

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

No, the timeline only splits in the MCU when one of the Infinity Stones is removed from the timeline. There was a scene in the movie where the Ancient One explicitly explains this to The Hulk. When Steve took the Space Stone back to the past, he re-united the timelines and caused the original timeline to be re-created, so if he decided to stay in the past afterwards, it's because he always chose to stay in the past. Similarly, he was unable to free Bucky from the control of Hydra because he had already freed Bucky from Hydra in the future, and he wasn't able to change that.

27. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hold on, a portion of the Leetniar ships mobilized for a raid the same day Paul and Gozzi started researching them? Their long, long range stakeout was really short then! Convenient, but not unbelievable.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  28. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

- I'm not sure about that. After all, when Old Cap showed up on the bench, Bucky sent Sam over to him.

- I think a whole lot more happened than we were shown. Though, Steve still made out with his own niece, the dirty pervert.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

1. The point of the Ancient One's speech was that the Time Stone was important for her reality. Bruce needed it, but so did they.

2. The Ancient One is not omniscient and isn't the absolute authority on time travel.

3. Multiple times in the movie, it is remarked that you can't go to your own past and interact with it. It is one of the only rules we know. They couldn't have pulled the Time Stone out of their own past because that would mean changing it, so where did it come from? It is explicitly world that uses multiverse time travel. Branches cause new realities, you can't just fold them back in.

4. Other MCU properties continue this branch thing without stones leaving. The upcoming Loki tv show continues a branch. Agents of SHIELD also had a branch in season 7 without interacting with the stones at all.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  30. Threadmarks: Back Door (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

9th July 2012
    06:35 GMT

"Shoo."

Alas, the Leentniar fleet does not shoo.

We've always known that the Reach weren't stupid. But what I perhaps didn't twig on is the fact that the volume of space they occupy means that even if they would ideally have liked to, it simply isn't possible for them to follow a single narrow set of directives everywhere. They simply have to exercise power in a decentralised way. So while their multifaceted assimilation campaigns across virtually their entire frontier were at least similar in general appearance, the sheer number of alien species they have contact with meant that it was inevitable that they'd try something a little different at some point.

Not all parts of the Reach keep their patsies weak. Lantern Gozzi may have been on to something about them having regular contact.

Leentniar capital ships are ugly blocks of metal and ceramics armed with spatial distortion pulsers which bypass most conventional defences. Including most-

The attack force fires a volley. A couple of shots ripple through space-time towards me, while the majority flow down the local gravity wells towards the local inhabited planet.

-construct defences. We don't have that many Lanterns trained for situations like this.

I wave my hands and space snaps back into shape, a blast of x-rays and gamma rays exploding from the wrinkle I just ironed.

"Fascinating." The construct Lantern Gozzi uses looks a little like a large kiln, appearing around a pulse and shrinking, her far superior understanding of the physics involved allowing her to do a much cleaner job of shutting it down than I managed. "Inefficient, but fascinating."

"Illustres to Leentniar fleet. You have not identified the reason for your attack or stated demands. You are intruding in territory in which you are not welcome. I will ask you once more to leave. If you do not comply-"

They fire another volley. Some distance away I detect a tiny flare of gamma radiation as Lantern Gozzi shuts down another.

"-then I will use direct force-"

Again, I forcibly stabilise space to block the shots heading towards me. I'm actually… Well, in a few minutes I'll take enough radiation exposure that I'd die if it wasn't for my rings, and the Leentniar ships are showing small signs of wear on their frontal armour as they continue to head in to the system.

"'Inefficient'?"

"I generally operate under the assumption that if someone uses anything more complex than a mass driver for planetary bombardment, they are showing off their 'equipment'."

"You get that a lot in Vega?"

"Dealing with Citadelians was a frustration. Amalak is far more civilised."

"Not having any trouble?"

"Should I be?"

"You're using your ring to neutralise an attack you hadn't encountered before today."

"It's surprisingly rewarding. Coluans simply aren't adapted for combat in the way species like yours are, but I find that the intellectual challenge combined with the utility of my ring appeals to me."

"Less slogging through the mud with a busted plasma gun?"

"Airless low-gravity corridors filled with smoke, and I generally only had a coil pistol."

"I'm glad that you found a new employer. That sounds like a tremendous waste of your abilities."

"That was for Amalak."

"If you're considering a full-time career change, I'm sure that Dox would appreciate having someone around who can think at his level."

"I can't think at his level. No one other than his father can."

"I don't know about that. There's a family of mad scientists back on Earth-."

"It is not possible to properly practise science while insane."

"I'll give you one of Georgia Sivana's communication devices and you can argue the point with her."

"You mean to say that there is a member of your species who can match intellects with a clone of Vril Dox."

"Yes, in some fields at least."

"I'm… Scepti-. Oh."

"Yeah, we get that a lot. And they've stopped shooting."

"Do you intend-? Possumizer?"

"Don't try-. Huh."

"Very few people will continue shooting when their weapons are clearly having no effect."

"Yes, but-. No. I was going to say 'don't try to understand', but honestly? If you can? Please explain it to me. We'd really like to know."

"Do you intend to negotiate with them?"

"I'm going to give it one more go. Illustres to Leentniar fleet, please respond."

"You're giving them more opportunities to back down than I expected. Why not kill them and move on to the rest?"

"Because we’re being recorded. And of course copies of our recordings of this conversation will make the rounds, as a comfort to our allies and a warning to anyone who might be planning on doing something stupid like becoming our enemy. Do you hear me?"

I stop transmitting.

"I can't afford to be called back to fight everyone who thinks they can stick the boot in while we're fighting the Reach. And as an organisation, N.E.M.O. can't afford to look like they can't stop that sort of attack. Word will get around."

"Leentniar Controller responding. We will quit this system."

"And?"

"Refrain from further attacks against this system."

"Inadequate. All systems in your path are L.E.G.I.O.N. affiliates. We will protect all of them."

"That will be relayed to my Masters."

"How about I do it instead. Lead the way."

The ships had been turning away, but a moment later they visibly change their direction, then-.

The ships explode!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021