• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Haha

"Try HADES! The new, exciting planet-to-planet FTL transport alternative!

Visit exciting new worlds, strange cultures and meet your dead grandmother on the way, trying to explain to her why you still don't have children of your own!

HADES!"

warningvisitorsshouldstayawayfromtheriverlethe,hadesincorporatredisnotresponsibsleforanymemorylossoccuring

I don't think Zeus will authorize the "Erebos Spaceport", first, as King Of Olympus, that Hades is receiving a LOT of power from the Dead Aliens should make him unhappy. Two, Zeus domain is the Sky, if Hades just straight up saying "I'm getting SPACE added in my Domain reach" he would feel undermined. If it ever get an 'OK', he might do many things, such as: Making more Demigod, Fight with Hades, looking for a follower that would surpass OL!Paul, and all of the above. It's gonna be so entertaining if it happen though

I don't think Zeus will authorize the "Erebos Spaceport", first, as King Of Olympus, that Hades is receiving a LOT of power from the Dead Aliens should make him unhappy. Two, Zeus domain is the Sky, if Hades just straight up saying "I'm getting SPACE added in my Domain reach" he would feel undermined. If it ever get an 'OK', he might do many things, such as: Making more Demigod, Fight with Hades, looking for a follower that would surpass OL!Paul, and all of the above. It's gonna be so entertaining if it happen though

I don't think Hades gets power from souls.

If anything he's losing some of his power since he is using it to make the souls more lively.

As it exists within his own domain, Hades doesn't need to ask Zeus's permission. Zeus could demand that he stop, but... Hades doesn't have much reason beyond 'habit' for respecting him.

11th July 2012
18:29 GMT

Hinon nods, a small smile on her face.

"Qward is in turmoil, their leader dead and their leadership decimated. A nearly entirely satisfactory outcome, and I wasn't actually expecting Kalmin to die. I'm actually quite-."
A mission nicely accomplished, all in all. I mean, yes, we all have our opinions on how he did it, but I for one have faith that things will turn out well from this.

She leans to the left, looking behind me as Kalmin's new students trail after him. Several of them are staring around in half-cringed caution, but Daciya refuses to look either left or right, striding purposefully through the Maltusian city.

"And suddenly I'm not. Would you mind explaining that?"
It's OL. You know how he works: If it can get more complicated, completely by accident, it will. I see Daciya is going to be that one friend, though... You know the one, who refuses to give ground on any decision made?

"Would you mind explaining how a Controller with the powers you do and the senses you have didn't know they were here until you saw them with your eyes?"

"I could." Her face becomes oddly blank. "Why don't you explain it to me?"
Eh, where'd that lampshade come from? Shoo! Gittouddahere! I suppose even Maltusians must answer to Narrative Conventions.

"You're millions of years old. Your whole 'irritable old woman' persona is affected for my benefit."

"Not just for your benefit. My interactions with almost every non-Maltusian has improved since I started openly brow-beating them."
Every last one of them probably see their own grandmothers in her. Those that have grandmothers, given the sometimes odd reproductive practices of some DC alien races. And even they respond to the Narrative.

"It's what we expect. It fits in with our preconceptions."

"The vast majority of sentient beings from social species expect a degree of punishment when they step outside of accepted bounds of acceptable behaviour. Minor insults meet that need while also stimulating a desire for praise."
Heh, how logical.

I frown.

"You don't need to act with me, Hinon Hee Hannanan. I'd much rather know the real you."

"I am very old, Illustres Paul. Without a shell personality I would barely be able to interact with young creatures like you. This is far more effective than the alternative. Trust me to know my business."
Indeed. Maltusians are total Time Abyss lifeforms. (Apologies in advance for any Wiki Walks taken.) They've forgotten more things than entire races have learned, if they even have the ability to forget things at all.

"I do. Alright, crotchety grandmother it is-."

Her face snaps back to life.

"I'm so glad that I have your approval. I don't know what I would have done without it."
Ah, lovely grandmotherly sass. Much more appropriate.

I bow my head for a moment, smiling-.

"The q'ardajin, Illustres. Why are they here?"
Now, back to the prior topic. Lovely little side conversations are fun, but staying on target does matter. :rolleyes:

"Kalmin wants to teach them how to be 'proper' q'ardajin. I want them to get used to interacting with other species as equals. Our ends are contradictory but our methods are the same: bring them here."

"You had the perfect opportunity to take the steps requires to exterminate their wretched breed. Instead, you brought more q'ardajin here."
Well, when you say it like that, it sounds bad. Come on, don't you want to do Science! here? Imagine determining whether Qwardians are jerks because of their culture, or if they're just naturally arseholes?

"Varnathon showed that they can be something else. Without prompting, even. We need to stop anyone trading with the Reach but I don't think that their species needs to go." Unless-. "Unless the Anti-Monitor is coming back and we need to deny him resources. Do we?"

"Not as far as we can tell."
Well, that's reassuring, at least. Unfortunately, Ol' Moebius has a tendency to pop up when you least expect him, so better to prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen...

"Then… That's why. Oh, and I need to schedule tests… Medical examinations, for myself. This whole incident has made me aware that no one knows what my healthy baselines are, and I need to fix that."

"Yes, that would be helpful. And perhaps you should keep a few spare clones of yourself laying around, just so we're prepared for your next death."
Finally getting around to that little note on the 'to-do' list, I see. Man, OL's bucket list must have so many revisions... He's starting to get a memetic reputation akin to Jean Grey by this point, I bet: "The Lantern who won't stay dead!"

"Ah. Maybe. I actually need to pop back to Earth first to make sure that I'm fully alive. I'll be back tomorrow."

"I will ensure that the physicians are lined up."
Ah, you're getting wise, Hinon. Who knows how much trouble OL can get into on Earth?

"Thank you."

I raise…

Do I really need to keep doing that? Copying Goku was amusing to start with, but it's honestly…
It's a useful distraction and warning. Between telling people you're about to not be there in a moment (as Queshire noted,) and making them think you have to do it to teleport (Darko put it best,) it make for a good mnemonic. Besides, can you imagine the faces of whatever Reach arses who might manage to take OL alive and restrained, thinking he can't get away, only for him to go, "No, leaving now." And promptly Do-Not-Want his way out of there.

I snort.

Just as amusing now as it ever was. I raise my fingers to my forehead
It also makes for an amusing farewell gesture, if you do it at the right angle.

step out, looking for large and long-denied desire to judge fairly and rule well, a desire I'm a part of as I saw to it being fulfilled. I see it and

reappear just outside Hades's palace, waving to a guard as I walk closer.

"Could you please let Lord Hades know that I'm here and would like to speak with him?"
"I'm rather worried I may have voided the warranty on my soul, and I'd like an expert to check it over..."

11th July 2012
21:47 GMT +3

"You really must try to stop dying like this."
It's not like he does it on purpose, you know. Things just seem to happen around him... Much like many a classical hero

"I'm not doing it deliberately, my lord."

Hades gives me a look of mildly frustration. It's almost paternal, really. After being told that I was visiting he decided to recess his court. Rather than being annoyed by the delay, the line of disorientated aliens outside were giving me grateful nods. It's nice to be appreciated.
Evidently a collective bit of apprehension at being judged, I take it. Or standing around waiting was boring as hell.

"I suppose I should be grateful for that much. There are Discordians who would have done, just to vex me."

"No part of me came here, then?"

"'No part'..? By Gaea, what killed you?"
Something that should never have existed in this universe in the first place... Seriously, the Anti-Monitor has a lot to answer for in the end...

"A qwa energy blast wave. But dying in deep space far from a living world doesn't work like dying on Earth. I needed to take a few hours to stick myself back together."

"I can only apologise for the poor service I was able to grant you. Again."
At this rate, OL may decide to switch after-life service providers. And I doubt anyone wants to elevate this case to the Underworld's retention department... They can be quite kindly...

"Thank you, but if I came here I might have felt obliged to stay. Though I… Was wondering..?"

"Give me a moment to fortify myself. … Very well, ask your question."
Ha! Even Hades knows to brace himself when OL has Ideas. At this rate, complete strangers will be asking for a moment before he ask a question...

"As a god, you're tied to Earth's thaumosphere. But you get a lot of your power from Erebos, don't you?" He nods. "And as a titan, Erebos doesn't have that same restriction. Or.. does it?"

Hades looks down the line of petitioners, then points. "Look you there."
I wonder what it could be? An alien, certainly... Something noteworthy?

I follow his finger, seeing-.

"A gordanian?"
Interesting. Gordanians aren't really religious, are they?

"He was on the wrong side of the ceasefire line. He tried hiding in that temple you built to me, but that only worked for a time before the mob killed him. But before his death, he read some of the literature you left and prayed to me, and that was sufficient."

"I'll let Mother of Mercy know."
Let me guess, she'll start packing pamphlets on the good word of Hades?

"He's not the first and won't be the last. However, as far as I can tell Erebos's reach only extends to those who are on planets. It might just be that no one who has been your work and become sufficiently devoted to me has died in space yet, or it could be something else. I genuinely don't know."

I nod. That's worth investigating further.

"Next question then: if Erebos connects to everywhere, how would you feel about a spaceport?"
Ah, so many unknowns. Unfortunately, any proper research process would require a whole other kind of evil to carry out... Kind of a pity the Psions are dead, they'd be useful for this...

And so OL's little post-revival excursion into the Anti-Matter Universe ends. Quite a few nice plot hooks added to the veritable forest of them still hanging. I expect we'll see a little more of Krono's troubles in post-apocalyptic America, then some Renegade entertainment. It'll be nice to see Grayven and company again after so long away. :eek: Seriously, almost six weeks real-time...

Well, when you say it like that, it sounds bad

It kinda is bad.

Come on, don't you want to do Science! here?

Probably not with a Qwardian.

Imagine determining whether Qwardians are jerks because of their culture, or if they're just naturally arseholes

If the Anti-Monitor did do something to them then they may be naturally destructive.

Varnathon may have been a mutation that lacked such tendencies.

It's not like he does it on purpose

Though you have to wonder after a while.

Evidently a collective bit of apprehension at being judged, I take it. Or standing around waiting was boring as hell.

Or both.

At this rate, OL may decide to switch after-life service providers

Don't blame Hades for Paul getting into his shenanigans.

Interesting. Gordanians aren't really religious, are they?

They may be worshipping Grayven now.

Though this one was probably desperate for any help.

Ah, so many unknowns. Unfortunately, any proper research process would require a whole other kind of evil to carry out... Kind of a pity the Psions are dead, they'd be useful for this...

The universe is full of irredeemable evil assholes.

Let me guess, she'll start packing pamphlets on the good word of Hades?

A pagan Jehova Witness?

Wonderful.

It's also a nice way to trick enemies into thinking they can stop him from doing it by grabbing or removing his hand.

Imagine them thinking that by disabling his hand they can stop him from teleporting, only for him to do it without a hand.
even better, they see him put the fingers in the head and they all start looking to the sides for his teleportation... only for him to yell ' Special Beam Canon' qnd fire Piccollo's blast

Hmm. So we have seen Hera, Hephaestus, Hades, and a few others in a more modern environment. Worshippers will be able to recognize their value as service providers in their respective domains. Now let's look at hypotheticals.
What would a reformed Zeus look like? What would the best possible "service provider" Zeus look like?

A) Zeus is the king of the gods. He can unite fellow deities quickly when the need is great.
B) Magical and supernatural creatures, especially those of Greek mythology, are likely to hear him out for a variety of reasons, such as "joining the winning side."
C) Hades offers a retirement plan for souls. Zeus would be an independent "Big Brother" surveillance service and assassination expert once proper relay satellites are setup in various Sectors. Such a thing would be bureaucratic with minions helping to keep track of incoming prayers to Zeus from various worlds. Zeus could go through the reports in descending order of priority, glancing over the territories with a personal eye before moving on. If someone needs a smiting, he'll load up a lightning bolt.
D) Zeus is clever. He knows he only survived his father's plans thanks to his mother's cleverness. And I'd like to think he's learned at least a little bit from his fellow gods' schemes. If all of the gods are joined together for a cause like war, and modern weapons were on the table, I suppose Zeus would be the one to ensure there are still planets left after all of the bombs have been used. He'll keep the warmongers from going overboard and leaving deserts in their wake.
E) I reckon Zeus would be the most mystically capable of banishing unruly interlopers on Earth like the Parliament of the Green. If every city has a temple to Zeus, then invasions will be costly.
F) And lastly holidays honoring Zeus could be beneficial to lands with institutionalized negative relationships. The spread of free love, poly relationships, and new ways of understanding libido, I guess. Whatever gray area isn't covered by the other Olympians.

Hmm. So we have seen Hera, Hephaestus, Hades, and a few others in a more modern environment. Worshippers will be able to recognize their value as service providers in their respective domains. Now let's look at hypotheticals.
What would a reformed Zeus look like? What would the best possible "service provider" Zeus look like?

A) Zeus is the king of the gods. He can unite fellow deities quickly when the need is great.
B) Magical and supernatural creatures, especially those of Greek mythology, are likely to hear him out for a variety of reasons, such as "joining the winning side."
C) Hades offers a retirement plan for souls. Zeus would be an independent "Big Brother" surveillance service and assassination expert once proper relay satellites are setup in various Sectors. Such a thing would be bureaucratic with minions helping to keep track of incoming prayers to Zeus from various worlds. Zeus could go through the reports in descending order of priority, glancing over the territories with a personal eye before moving on. If someone needs a smiting, he'll load up a lightning bolt.
D) Zeus is clever. He knows he only survived his father's plans thanks to his mother's cleverness. And I'd like to think he's learned at least a little bit from his fellow gods' schemes. If all of the gods are joined together for a cause like war, and modern weapons were on the table, I suppose Zeus would be the one to ensure there are still planets left after all of the bombs have been used. He'll keep the warmongers from going overboard and leaving deserts in their wake.
E) I reckon Zeus would be the most mystically capable of banishing unruly interlopers on Earth like the Parliament of the Green. If every city has a temple to Zeus, then invasions will be costly.
F) And lastly holidays honoring Zeus could be beneficial to lands with institutionalized negative relationships. The spread of free love, poly relationships, and new ways of understanding libido, I guess. Whatever gray area isn't covered by the other Olympians.

He may also be able to provide good weather.

Ted did make those weather control drones but maybe Zeus can help increase their power.

Imagine if Hades is able to build a space resort and move Elysium there. It would inherently be very well protected, because of the high numbers of powerful spellcasters that are in Elysium...

Honestly, Zeus doesn't really have any reason to adapt to a modern setting. His only real thing he can "bring to the table", as it were, is being debatably the strongest of the Olympian gods (traditionally, Zeus was straight-up the strongest, to a point where it wasn't a question of if he could beat another god, but how long it would take and who would die in the crossfire), and thus able to protect the Thaumosphere from other threats... But he's also an asshole and a piece of shit, so I doubt he'd interfere with that unless he had to.

Imagine if Hades is able to build a space resort and move Elysium there. It would inherently be very well protected, because of the high numbers of powerful spellcasters that are in Elysium...
Not... Really. Ancient Greece didn't have much of a magic tradition, and it certainly didn't produce high level casters. The notable thing would be the demigods but their abilities are mostly instinctual.

Not... Really. Ancient Greece didn't have much of a magic tradition, and it certainly didn't produce high level casters. The notable thing would be the demigods but their abilities are mostly instinctual.

Well there is Medea and Circe.

Though Circe's power is less her own and more the blessing of Hecate, while Medea is related to Helios, so her power may be mostly due to him, albeit she may know a lot of spells and magic, but the raw power is due to her divine heritage.

Well there is Medea and Circe.

Though Circe's power is less her own and more the blessing of Hecate, while Medea is related to Helios, so her power may be mostly due to him, albeit she may know a lot of spells and magic, but the raw power is due to her divine heritage.

Actually the two most revered magicians of Ancient Greece were Pythagoras and Orpheus.

Greeks didn't differentiate magic from not magic based on nature. Magic was a skill level, magic was a Charles Atlas superpower.

Orpheus making stones weep with his music was magic.

Pythagoras teleporting and bilocating because he was just that good at math was magic.

The cyclops forging lightning bolts was magic from being that good at smithing.

Asclepius raising the dead was because he was that good at medicine it was magic.

Witchcraft like Circe was far from the end all and be all of magic to the Ancient Greeks.

Actually the two most revered magicians of Ancient Greece were Pythagoras and Orpheus.

Greeks didn't differentiate magic from not magic based on nature. Magic was a skill level, magic was a Charles Atlas superpower.

Orpheus making stones weep with his music was magic.

Pythagoras teleporting and bilocating because he was just that good at math was magic.

The cyclops forging lightning bolts was magic from being that good at smithing.

Asclepius raising the dead was because he was that good at medicine it was magic.

Witchcraft like Circe was far from the end all and be all of magic to the Ancient Greeks.

Okay but in terms of spell casting I think Circe and Medea qualify much better than the others, at least when it concerns spell casting as it's portrayed in this fic.

As it exists within his own domain, Hades doesn't need to ask Zeus's permission. Zeus could demand that he stop, but... Hades doesn't have much reason beyond 'habit' for respecting him.
Someone seems to have forgotten that Zeus's domain is "King of the Gods".

Haha

"Try HADES! The new, exciting planet-to-planet FTL transport alternative!

Visit exciting new worlds, strange cultures and meet your dead grandmother on the way, trying to explain to her why you still don't have children of your own!

HADES!"

warningvisitorsshouldstayawayfromtheriverlethe,hadesincorporatredisnotresponsibsleforanymemorylossoccuring
This reminds me of an idea I read a long time ago, but I can't find it now. (I think it was on the Order of the Stick forums but I'm not sure.)

The idea is that clerics of the god of death developed a new business model. They would give their client a potion that would kill them painlessly, and then cast Graceful Repose on the corpse. The soul of the newly-deceased would go to the death god's afterlife in a specially prepared paradise of comfort and relaxation while the cleric would have the preserved corpse shipped along with other bulk goods to the client's desired destination, upon which time a cleric (possibly the same one, possibly another cleric of the same god) would cast Revivify and the client would be brought back to life. The client would have therefore had a luxury vacation without needing to worry about food, water, sleep, weather, or an uncomfortable cross-country journey.

While this wouldn't be faster than hiring a wizard to teleport the client, it would be significantly cheaper and it wouldn't be subject to the same destination and capacity limitations as Teleport. (Graceful Repose is a 2nd level spell and Revivify is 3rd level plus a 300gp diamond. Teleport is 7th level and would have to be cast twice in order for the caster to return home afterward, and there has to already be a receiving circle at the destination or you have an item that was taken from that destination within the last six months or else there's a risk of the spell going wrong.)

Someone seems to have forgotten that Zeus's domain is "King of the Gods".
That's a title, not a domain. His domain is the sky. His powerset has nothing to do with kings or gods.

That's a title, not a domain. His domain is the sky. His powerset has nothing to do with kings or gods.

Historically speaking he didn't even have that title originally, with Poseidon holding the title before a massive restructuring of the pantheon sometime before The Bronze Age IIRC. That same restructuring is what got us things like Dionysus being a wine god instead of whatever eldritch abomination we're pretty sure the Greeks used to see him as, even if he kept madness as one of his domains.

Edit:It was actually during The Bronze Age that this was true, here's a video by Overly Sarcasitc Productions that talks about the subject.

Last edited:
Historically speaking he didn't even have that title originally, with Poseidon holding the title before a massive restructuring of the pantheon sometime before The Bronze Age IIRC. That same restructuring is what got us things like Dionysus being a wine god instead of whatever eldritch abomination we're pretty sure the Greeks used to see him as, even if he kept madness as one of his domains.

Edit:It was actually during The Bronze Age that this was true, here's a video by Overly Sarcasitc Productions that talks about the subject.

Synecrtism is always weird in settings where the gods are real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back