1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the Dragon (Harry Potter/Shadowrun)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Dunkelzahn, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stads

stads Experienced.

thx for the words as always great chapter.
    that poor goblin do feel bad for him now
    nice use of found funds by amilia
    will be interesting to see what kind of failure the new year will bring for su li

jjlph18, Damnedmatt and Dunkelzahn like this.
  2. Chickennoodlesoup

Chickennoodlesoup Romantic Kaiju

Could someone tell me what's up with the oil bacterium?

Grimrr and Damnedmatt like this.
  3. Kitty S. Lillian

Kitty S. Lillian Transhuman

Team comprises individuals, individuals compose team.
    Team is composed of individuals.

Dunkelzahn likes this.
  4. Jordisk

Jordisk Versed in the lewd.

Well, we did get a couple massive spikes in background magic level, so that could have something to do with it. Those spikes could have sped it up, or perhaps lead to an early bloom/die-off before resuming the normal cycle. Remember, the Manavores never die off completely, and they grow massively from just before the new age, up until they reach the turning point. Then, we have them dying off as the age comes to a close.

5. Wolfboy

Wolfboy I trust you know where the happy button is?

RedX
    Slavery, over the years has had many forms. Some were blatant as all hell, such as the chattel slavery of the pre-civil war American south. Others were not so blatant. Contract slavery still occurs, as does debt peonage as it is usually not seen as actual slavery. The sweat shops that exist in China and other nations making the various cheap, (and also knock off) goods that most americans take for granted are an example of this

6. drvash

drvash Getting some practice in, huh?

Imagine if the Shadowland BBS picked up on Harry’s dietary splurges, as “British people traveling in a Winnebago” is a very specific description (Americans make a big deal about accents).

Military aficionados could debate the impracticality of a super-soldier that needs to eat so much, insisting that such an individual would quickly starve to death if cut off from supply lines.

Example:
    BBS: “The boy is obliviously a flawed prototype. He wouldn’t be able to operate behind enemy lines for more than a day.”

7. RedX

RedX Not too sore, are you?

I'm well aware of the history, and the myriad forms personal bondage can take throughout. But if you've got full-on legal government-supported chattel slavery,you don't need to go about hiding your operations as if you were working under a regime that outright banned such and actively worked to identify and prosecute slavers. If all Crabbe needed was to stick someone that the Aurors couldn't make disappear at the front door of his slave workhouse with a writ of "this is all nice an legal, see?", he wouldn't need two layers of cut-outs and a black site for it.

The political and law enforcement environments are very, very different depending on the situation. Hybridizing the two is like, say, the slaveholders of the Antebellum US South having to carefully conceal their entirely legal slaves from roving US Marshals, or the modern police of France having to carefully conceal one of their trafficking busts from the French Parliament.

You've got folks like that PI visting his mind-raped wife in a publicly available brothel to keep tracking her, and Bones having to coordinate with a foreign power to move the rescuees... but then you've got the Aurors following evidence chains like a forensics show and locating hidden depots and cut-outs in ownership links, which they then assault with full force. It's not meshing; are Aurors doing illegal and off-reservation stuff here? If so, if they've tossed legality out (and good on them for it!) why haven't already they hit the very public examples of slavery dotted around, the ones protected by legal fictions and an unjust system of repression, legal fictions be danged? On the other hand, if what they're doing is fully legal and above-board, why do they need to go skulking around like a guerilla group and carefully hiding their rescuees?

It's almost like Schrodinger's legality, going on here. Along with Schrodinger's Civil War.

(Sidenote: We must be very, very, very careful when comparing sweatshop labor and bonafide slavery. There are parallels, mostly in the area of power differentials, but there too are many differences- not the least that the people in the former are paid and can leave if they wish. The local circumstances are often such that they would not wish to, as the sweatshop being the most consistent and highest-paid job around despite the horrible conditions, but it's not slavery. Well, unless it is because the sweatshop owner is using force or force of corrupt law to hold them there- but that's a subset, not a defining feature.)

8. Dunkelzahn

Dunkelzahn No one of consequence

For certain values of soon.

Populations of those will be going up for several millennia yet before they hit their peak, it's just that this particular oil production method is particularly vulnerable to their presence... to anything that can seal off the rock surface for that matter. It's relatively low-margin in the first place, and a small loss in production is all that is needed to make it uneconomic, especially in the early 90's when fracking was still barely commercialized.
    See the second spoiler here. (Also added a threadmark for future reference)
    I was not aware of that usage, though I see Merriam-Webster lists both as correct. Good to know in any case.

That could be quite interesting to see.

I welcome any omake anyone wants to make in that vein...

RedX:
    On the slavery subject, I will point out that the setting is still very much in transition.

Open chattel slavery was legal in the setting as recently as 1963, just thirty years before story-present. The openly known slaves were freed at that point, but the former slave owners immediately started looking for loopholes, workarounds, and obfuscation methods. They developed those methods in short order: abusing the nation's sociopolitical structure (that is, servant contracts and Houses) in ways that they were never intended, exploiting the power and availability of secrecy magics to conceal their illegal activities, and employing mind manipulation to take shameless advantage of well-intentioned legal limitations on police power when those concealments temporarily slipped. Add in the convenient timing of Voldemort's first rise, and they had plenty of time to establish themselves with relative impunity.

The Voldemort conflict filled the DMLE's plate quite nicely on its own --- possibly one of the major reasons that the man received so much support from the wealthy industrialists --- and by the time the conflict abated in 1981, freeing law enforcement to turn its attention to the covert slavery issue, the industrialist faction was already deeply and seamlessly entrenched in society and government.

Amelia has now been working the problem for a bit over a decade since she came to power, but it has been an uphill battle, to the point that she had made vanishingly little progress. She had her people ready, willing, and eager, but Hermione's kidnapping is the first major break she's gotten. The rescue opened up one of those seams for her people to try to unravel. Even that only happened because Narcissa Malfoy got greedy and violated the established protocols of the industry, effectively throwing her business associates under the DMLE bus by doing so while covering her own behind with her 'cleaner'.

As a result, that shooting war you were speculating about is taking its first few stumbling steps right now.

(2021-03-08: Edited for clarity.)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  9. Chickennoodlesoup

Chickennoodlesoup Romantic Kaiju

Thank you, I forgot about that.

10. Monitor

Monitor A Monitor sitting before a Monitor

Now, things begin to heat up, but it will likely take a while. Is that Bacteria concept original or is it in the source?

Because that might allow some fun things. Sidenote, is there a mechanism getting rid of all the stuff we pump into the atmosphere currently? Because more extreme weather sounds like a great thing to have. Not.

insertname099 and Damnedmatt like this.
  11. hyperspacewizard

hyperspacewizard Versed in the lewd.

I’m mean when the magic comes back it doesn’t matter what humans have done to the earth storms and natural disasters galore are going to happen Also mana storms everywhere being around in shadowrun during the transitional period is going to suck for everyone lol

12. Monitor

Monitor A Monitor sitting before a Monitor

And after magic leaves? Will the new age need to deal with a significantly warmer planner, on a good course to a continuous greenhouse effect?

That was what I meant to ask.

Damnedmatt likes this.
  13. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Nobody knows.

Frankly, compared to massive magical power, anthomorpic climate change is trivial. After a couple of thousand years of mana storms, humans are a small thing.

14. ABZB

ABZB Making the rounds.

ברוך מחיה מתים - I had thought this dead.

Damnedmatt likes this.
  15. hyperspacewizard

hyperspacewizard Versed in the lewd.

If its anything like last time ie using the earthdawn setting timeline the earth will go through a couple of cycles of ice ages after the magic goes away the thing is with mana storms and such is plants and animals start turning magic which leads to all kinds of craziness and thats not even getting into the extra dimensional crap thats coming. Like earth is heading toward a bad time if I was there and knew what was coming I would try to start up a vault tech expy its going to be that bad for like a couple of decades its one of the reasons why shadowrun is so grim and why the corporations have more power than most governments chaos is a ladder etc.

Like let me give you an example of how nuts the timeline is

the fourth age is set and endeding around circa 13,000 BC.

In the story right now we are in the fifth age. Around 2011 is when the sixth age begins unless something has drastically effected the timeline because of harry and crew messing with the stone cirles sites. The game of shadowrun doesnt really start until 2040 because between 2011 and 2040 everthing is pretty chaotic and its still pretty crazy up till 2070

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  16. Doghead13

Doghead13 Grumpy Old Scottish Biker

It's taken directly from Shadowrun.

As a side note, this entire subplot started out via taking the cod-fanon 'head of house privileges' thing to the exceedingly nasty logical conclusion a lot of authors seems to ignore when they throw these things out. It's one of the first times I took a piece of fanon that'd turned up in a rash of fics I'd been reading and did my level best to kick its front door in.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  17. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

@Dunkelzahn
    I did not finish reading the chapter, the goblin attempting to keep constant watch for days with no one to spell him broke my SoD so hard I could not read the rest of the chapter.

Even if the goblins had no magical way of watching for the people he was looking for, and no one in the know they could recruit, paying random store clerk or bum to watch the road for a few hours and call him if a rather unusual winabego came by would make it actually possible for him to keep watch for days.

Damnedmatt likes this.
  18. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Any reason they couldn't use a communication mirror?

So as someone that lived very near the Dakota fields I'll skip the well known facts of fracking waste contaminating ground water and damn near everything else for miles around killing or driving out every living thing.

Fracking makes oil but it doesn't do shit for making investors money without sky high oil prices.

Damnedmatt and Zhen_Electric like this.
  19. Spartan3909

Spartan3909 Know what you're doing yet?

Because the only person who knows where to find or how to make one is locked up in Azkaban.

Damnedmatt and Dunkelzahn like this.
  20. Dunkelzahn

Dunkelzahn No one of consequence

As was pointed out by several others, weather in the Sixth World is going to be getting ugly for reasons that have nothing at all to do with carbon dioxide levels. Though if it makes you feel any better, the massive increases in plant growth due to magic abundance might well have sequestered so much carbon that the lack of carbon dioxide would have killed all plant life on the planet (just as it came very close to doing during the recent ice ages) were it not for the massive increases in volcanism.

Though I suppose one might technically consider some of that to be anthropogenic, vis-a-vis Daniel "Howling Coyote" and his string of artificially triggered volcanic eruptions. If you did, I'm pretty sure his personal carbon footprint would be bigger than that of the entire industrial revolution.

The pollution you really need to look out for here is (at least in my version) anything that can cause mutations. In normal situations, large concentrations of mutagens mostly just kill things; any changes that persist tend to be relatively minor. Major mutations tend to be immediately deadly, and in order to linger, they need to be at least temporarily survivable. With magic in the mix, the threshold for 'survivable' gets a lot more lenient, and rather than dying off in droves, life tends to twist in very disturbing ways, very quickly.

I lifted the astral bacterial from canon, but I had thought my take on their population dynamics driving the world magic cycle was original. Did I accidentally recreate something I didn't know about there?

Edits made. He now has a cheap bit of magical camping equipment that lets him catch some sleep from time to time (essentially a really, really chintzy, one-shot alert ward that's marketed as a bear detector).

As for hiring someone, that's a little tough. One, the crossing is in the middle of rural ND, the closest town is more than four miles away, and the likely approach by road doesn't pass through that town. Two, by the time said hireling could alert him, the Winnebago would already be long gone. It's not like Snape of all people is going to pull over for a hobo if they try to flag him down.

(2021-03-13: Edited for unclear pronoun antecedent)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  21. killgore444

killgore444 Versed in the lewd.

Some of the stories about Daniel Howling Coyote got pretty screwed up in the early editions. There was at least one published story that had him has a burnout wino in Seattle teaching gangbangers basic magic.
    Of course, since he murdered his best friend when said friend didn't want to stop the Ghost Dance until all non natives where dead might have had something to do with it.
    Either that or finding out that the spirit that gave you the knowledge of the Ghost Dance was a shadow spirit and was the same one that convinced the President to kill all the Indians didn't do good things to his psyche.
    And before anyone calls BS, all 3 of those were in published stories by FASA.

They also once implied he was 'Burnout' from the early gear books (who ended up becoming a CyberZombie). That night have been retconned out though since Burnout got possession of the DragonHeart and was possessed by the spirit of the BigD himself, and was mentally wiped to the age of 8 and just along for the ride in his body that is cruising around the Astral planes with a giant Focus fused to his hand fighting spirits of Human Sacrifice.
    This is from one of the books. Like I said, some of the stories are screwed up royally.

Not from canon itself. But there is a LOT of published stories and game mechanics that reference unpublished stories from the main website. So it's entirely possible that the FAB bacteria types are in fact listed somewhere as being responsible for the cycles of magic. And if not, than you can bet someone will 'Come up with it' now. ;)

Much better.

~

Damnedmatt and Grimrr like this.
  22. Simonbob

At the very begining, sure.

It's much better now. Cheaper, too. Still more expensive than a perfect oil well, but there aren't that many of them in the world.

Anyway, for the obssesed-with-heavy-machinery youngster, it's going to be interesting. I wonder what ideas he'll get from such tech?

Damnedmatt and Dunkelzahn like this.
  23. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

The much better still costs more then you get back, and in this setting you've got an extra step of dealing with a bacteria so it'll cost even more.

Damnedmatt likes this.
  24. Simonbob

No, as long as the price of oil is high enough, it's worth doing. At the moment, as long as oil is over $60 a barrel, I'm told, you can make a profit. As long as the Govenment doesn't screw you, of course.

But the bacteria, that's different. Magic bacteria could do all sorts of things, make all sorts of problems. I wonder how much it'll affect conventional oil wells?

Damnedmatt likes this.
  25. Doghead13

Doghead13 Grumpy Old Scottish Biker

Sorry it took me a while to respond, been caught up in RL. It's over ten years since I read any canon Shadowrun material so there's a very good chance I'm utterly misremembering.

ANYWAY almost certain it munging up oil production is canon (this being what I was referring to in that post) and awakened bacteria existing in the first place is definitely canon, almost certain the detail about it driving the magic cycle is yours. I don't think FASA ever actually explained that one.

26. Purplepurple

Purplepurple Getting sticky.

I feel that Amelia/Dumbledore were made here a bit too powerless overall, with basically no progress in rooting out slavery (before Hermione case)
    Is it intentional to preset Dumbledore solution as nearly complete failure? I feel it would be more interesting if they had at least some successes, while still keeping Snape position "burn everything to the ground" reasonable.

Right now Dumbledore feels like a strawman a bit, and it seems fixable by scattering mentions of at least some minor successes - not with slavery nominally illegal but operating without inpunity.

I just feel that story like that is more interesting where both sides have a viable position.

Damnedmatt likes this.
  27. Anon E Mouse

Anon E Mouse Not A Giant Space Spider

I'd honestly rather Dumbledore stay as he is, because it just makes more sense and is plausible. Not everybody values things the same, not everybody puts the same price on things. Dumbledore clearly wants things like slavery to end, but he values things like rule of law and stable societies extremely highly. So he does things that make society more stable and predictable and tries to stop singular powerful wizards from doing whatever they want. Then the roaches and non-powerful people take advantage of those systems to do illegal things while preventing themselves from being dealt with legally. And people like Dumbledore value laws and stability so much that they simply can't accept the price of tearing up the systems they put in place facilitating those behaviors.

28. Purplepurple

Oh, definitely. I think that Dumbledore and Amelia are masterfully written. Just give them some successes - so that they managed to bust at least some slavery operations before.

World would be still fucked up, maybe even even more with "Aurors take down brothel with enthralled slaves" being a unusually good news. But still something that happens, with that operation as significant not as first success ever, but as first big success and allowing to take down someone involved and actually prominent (still medium fish, but at least not small fish).

Because current situation reads as "nothing changed after making slavery illegal, everything just went underground".

Or maybe situation was extremely fucked up (all Muggleborns legally enslaved or something) to the point that current situation with say 10% Muggleborns enslaved (and illegally) is still a serious improvement and Dumbledore has good reasons to be happy, especially for someone capable of planning horizon longer than two weeks?

EDIT: though they mention freeing slaves - and from context it seems that they are still generally free and alive, so maybe I should read more between lines rather expect stated this outright?

EDIT2: I noticed that Dumbledore was successful in improving treatment of Muggles. Just surprised about slavery situation and treatment if it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  29. VulpKit

VulpKit Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I'd like to say that this is an amazingly well-written piece of work. (Note that I have no prior knowledge of shadowrun. Absolutely nothing.)

The author had me hooked from the very first few lines that described Vernon's obesity without outright saying it at all. (Funny story: I had just checked and dismissed a different story where one of my complaints were how unsubtly the narrator addressed the same thing, "Harry's obese uncle", something that left a bad taste in my mouth as the narrator was supposed to be from Harry's perspective).
    All the characters make sense, they are extremely detailed and most of all, they are unique.

You (the author) took characters such as the Hogwarts staff and gave them not only new characteristics, but new characteristics that match their canon characters. Revolutionary Snape is something I would've never imagined, yet it makes so much sense.
    The focus of the story has been mainly in world-building and character development (even introducing perfectly new characters, that I fell in love with and started rooting for immediately after!) and the results are superb.

There are only a couple of things that bothered me while I was binge-reading this story (Note that I have not read all of the previous comments. My apologies if you've already addressed them) :

Harry's struggles with generating electricity using magic. Electricity is nothing more than electrons moving through conductors. It's generation is also conceptually simple. You just have to get the electrons moving. And the way we do that is essentially moving magnets around.
    Every single type of energy you can convert into electricity, you do it the same conceptual way. You use that energy in order to get something spinning. Spin a magnet in a magnetic field, and you'll cause changes in it. Those changes will then cause certain material's electrons to start moving, producing current, electricity. Of course, this is extremely simplified, but the base concept is accurate. Get a magnet to spin in a certain way in a certain environment and you'll get electric power.
    Harry actually knows this. He created a water wheel. A water wheel uses water in order to make itself spin and then uses that spin on order to produce electricity in the way I summarized above.
    Why Harry doesn't do any of this, I don't know. As he is portrayed as someone that does a lot of research, I fail to see how he could miss something like this. And it really took me out of the story every time it was mentioned.
    Also: Harry and friends complained about the noise the generator was making. Can they not simply use a silencing charm?

The other thing that kinda bothered me was the timing of Hermione's kidnapping (I however, greatly admire the way greater danger was prevented. The way they tagged Hermione with a tracker is a bit coincidental, but it's safely in the realm of possibility and I really liked the creative way of addressing that issue). My main problem is that the (I'm guessing) very interesting Americas plotline (which I'm guessing is much more heavily connected to shadowrun, something that I was interested in learning about) starts at the same exact time. My interest in Hermione's well-being and my curiosity (and slight worry) on how her relationship with Harry will develop far outweighed my fledgling interest in the fluff that was going on in Harry's side. I couldn't help but skip forward in order to learn what happened (skipping what must be more examples of amazing and detailed character and world-building). It simply a case of investment. Harry's trip to the Americas has no danger, no rush, no tension. Harry is, after all, a ruddy big dragon made of basically indestructible metal. As such, I do not feel particularly invested in that story-line. On the other hand, I am much more invested in seeing through the plotline involving Hermione (and I was pretty curious to see Harry's reaction to it).
    As such, Harry's sections felt not as a reprieve from a tense situation, but as filler meant to artificially increase the tension by introducing extra time until the plot's resolution.

30. Purplepurple

Is he maybe trying to convert magic straight into electricity without going through conversion into kinetic (or other) energy as an intermediate step?

The same for me (and it is it is rather how I am invested in Hermione storyline and how I am not expecting 100% foolproof plot armor - not about weakness of USA plot).

Damnedmatt and Randommosity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.