1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worm: Tinker Idea Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Metabolicjosh, Apr 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Metabolicjosh

Metabolicjosh Experienced.

Hi!

Would you rather read a story where the main character has the exact same Tinker ability that Leet has, or a story where the main character has a Tinker (Focal) that allows them to pick a field, starting at Tinker 2 and rapidly increasing to Tinker 12, but they reset their rank every time they switch focuses?

For instance, if you spent ten days with the specialization heavy weapons you would be at Tinker 8(?), and if you switched to something else and came back to heavy weapons it would be at Tinker 2 again.

2. Jacobs lash

Jacobs lash Not too sore, are you?

Probably the 2nd one. It adds variety and a weakness.

3. omni001

omni001 Versed in the lewd.

2nd one but I'd probably add another gimmick or drawback or something to give a reason why the Tinker would ever want to switch focus's and not just choose to stay at 12 forever.

4. Metabolicjosh

Yeah, I put some more thought into it and came up with a few ideas. Firstly, the main character isn’t able to use inferior materials when he is tinkering, due to his shard not warping reality like most of them. This means that even with Tinker 12, he isn’t able to create a black hole bomb with a microwave like Bakuda could. He needs to build up his manufacturing equipment to a level that is capable of making the components he uses.

Secondly, he can overcome this limitation by using an ability called Magnum Opus. It doubles his Tinker Rating to a maximum of 12 and allows him to use inferior materials without worry.

When he has finished with Magnum Opus, he is locked out of that specialty for... six months?

So, he needs to constantly switch specialties to improve his limits, resetting his rating, and take into consideration Magnum Opus.

For instance, my first invention would be to wait until my tinker rating is six and then use Magnum Opus to create a device that makes me into a precognitive blank spot.

5. Lord Elsquare

Lord Elsquare I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not sure you need Magnum Opus. Doesn't seem to quite fit the theme of the rest of the power, and seems to undercut the weakness...

If each Focus is pretty specific, then I actually really like this power idea. Having strict material requirements, meaning he has to keep swapping specialties to make all the tech required to make various exotic materials he needs gives a good reason to keep flipping, besides the need for different things at different times.

The other way you could spin it would be if he could have multiple focuses. Having just one puts it at 12, but adding more swiftly brings it down until he's tinker 1 or 0 in maybe 10 to 15 categories. So obviously you just go for one focus and take that massive 12 rating, right? Except the foci are really specific. Like, Wiring. Or Wiring Connections. Or Battery Size. So specific that on their own they basically don't let you make complete products. You need to take multiple foci to have a chance at making anything useful - so the challenge is to find ways to minimise the number of foci you have to take.

Austrichh, Ziz and Metabolicjosh like this.
  6. Metabolicjosh

An interesting idea. I came up with some other ideas and one of the ones that resonated with me was to have the main character go through technological progression from Pre-Stone Age to Post-Modern Age. He progresses from one stage to the next by completing certain milestones. For instance, making a sturdy stone axe will unlock Stone Age. He is able to use technology created by other people that is one age or more less advanced than his own. (Literally starting in the wilderness and is unable to enter modern society because he can’t wear clothes and use roads)

Damon_Jager likes this.
  7. Lord Elsquare

Lord Elsquare I trust you know where the happy button is?

That could be fun. Presumably all the milestones are weapons of some sort, given most shards interest in promoting conflict?