1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Let's hope so. I think Doctor Sivana Senior would have words for you if you somehow fried his science-babies' brains with Orange Light overload. A lot of words, filled with Red Light... :p Or maybe just a few very loud words courtesy of his best guns. Stuff like "Freem!" and "Bzkow!"

So, hopefully not overloaded. Just... coming to terms with a brief exposure to the universe's desires.

Heh. So, unpleasantly like being drunk, as experienced by the water?

...Yeah, okay, that's not a good thing. Guess OL will have to looks for more old-fashioned ways to help people along to Enlightenment.

I love that that's an actual concern with these two.

Well, of course not. Drawing all your samples from one small pool? That'd skew your results too much.

Well, I'm glad they're being considerate. Less explosions that way. ;) Marginally.

Because of course they have tricorder equivalents. Hopefully they're satisfied with the results.

...Of all the places on Maltus you could have arrived, you landed in a broom closet?

Well, technically, OL's not a superhero. Not quite the total paragon of justice and all that. Too much genocide, for a start...

Oh god, they're heterodyning. Flee! ...Or gather their tools, depending on your minion-ness...

Ah, just asking for confirmation of their theory... What sort of scientists are they if they can't work it out for themselves?

Don't be so hasty, young Sivana...

...See? Can't always jump to conclusions.

...True enough, given the inmates won't have rings. If they managed to acquire one, then shit would hit the fan.

...Well, that's a pin to the inflated ego.

Real ones? From which country or state? Or do they literally have a little rolodex-style collection from every location they could ever need to visit on Earth?

That's probably a good thing. And entirely in character for the Lone Star State.

I suspect armed robberies would get a little tenser. As for the training thing, let's steer clear of 'Rule 8'-adjacent discussion on that front. Talking about Gun Laws always seem to upset someone...

Given the communist states got their starts in armed revolutions, I'm not surprised... I have the feeling shooting incidents have gone up worldwide, though...

...I foresee Batman having complaints about any of those ideas... Maybe distribute simple, easy-to-maintain personal defensive devices, as Handlewithcare suggested. Like the Terminian Kinetic Belts (adjusted to a purely defensive mode without flight or offensive systems.) As a bonus, it'd likely reduce injuries in violent crimes and accidents.

Heh, same problem the Renegade's Light faced crewing Lex's spacefleet. Guess the lure of space superiority is too great for any national agency...

After all, you don't know how your scanning gear might interact with their physiology or mental state...

Out of what, several thousand? Not a terrible failure rate. Though some would insist on a zero rate. They would be dreaming.

One meeting with Kalmin later: "...I hate to say it, but I think we might be out of our league..."

Oh, this is going to be entertaining to watch... From a safe distance. Glad we're all here in another universe, well outside the splash zone. I have the feeling those in much closer proximity will be wary of more 'Crazy Terrans.' Well, besides the folks who are already a little crazy...

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If the inmates are naturally more powerful than humans, then they're still dangerous.

I'm now picturing them admiring Kalmin.

Kalmin-senpai anyone?

I'm sorry for putting that image in your head.

I'm thinking Kalmin may admire their potential.

mastermenthe, Cuchulin, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  3. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who's currently the best Green Lantern in terms of combat ability? Paragon felt that Illustres Chaselon might be the one GL he couldn't beat in a fight, but that was a while ago and we haven't really seen the latter in action (though having achieved green enlightenment without apparent contact with an Emotional Entity is an impressive thing in itself, yes). Guy with Ion backup also comes to mind as a candidate for the title, but I don't think he's at the level of Paragon in terms of compatibility and effectiveness as a Host.

4. deccan2008

deccan2008 Getting out there.

Kalmin is still interested in destroying the entire universe. Putting him in touch with the Sivanas doesn't seem smart. Hinon is going to have words...

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul has done a lot of things that are really not smart.

And Hinon has had words with him, but they don't seem to do much.

Cuchulin, Vaermina, Caerwen and 4 others like this.
  6. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

They.
    It's still present sir.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

8. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Kalmin is a religious fundamentalist, it's highly unlikely that he'll make the materialist Sivanas any worse, and while it might improve Kalmin's tradecraft a bit that's only a positive for the duration of the war.

After the war? Well, that's Future Paul's problem. Present Paul has more pressing concerns.

9. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What happens if you just take away the rings of those that didn't go full Larfleeze? Shouldn't they be able to live normal lives, even if they never get to be Lanterns again?

Also, why can't the Illustress or some other OL rewire their desire structures either based on previous readings or just into something that's more manageable and every day life compatible?
    It's not like it is immoral mind control or personhood de- and reconstruction if the ring already fucked that up before any deliberate intervention.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Larfleeze is the most extreme case, but that doesn't mean that others weren't damaged in varying levels.

Releasing them now would be dangerous to both them and the ones around them.

The Controllers want to see what the Orange corruption will do so they can figure out how to stop or treat it.

It may not be so simple.

Rewiring their desires after the Orange Light corrupted them could prove to be dangerous and it may be highly difficult to do it.

Paul may be able to do it, but he's only one guy and the Controllers probably don't want to depend on him in case he dies.

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

She got rehabilitated in Infinite Loops.

Or Pingu. Noot noot!

Cuchulin and TodaBruh like this.
  12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Have any more Coluans joined L.E.G.I.O.N or its affiliates? I don't know if they all do that emotional suppression thing but I imagine at least a few are grateful for being rescued and would like to do something in return.

Does Renegade have any plans for the trapped Coluans in his timeline?

RamiroGalletti and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

24th August 2012
    14:03 GMT

"Huh."

Thaddeus uses a set of plasma construct tweezers to delicately pry apart an object on one of Kalmin's 'completed project' display racks. I thought about asking Kalmin if he minded us taking a look, but last time I asked he said that if I could both understand what I was looking at and survive his intruder countermeasures, then I'd earned the right.

"Oh. I'm disappointed. I thought you said this guy was building your whole…" He moves a few more parts, then waves his sensor at the artefact. "Fleet."

"No, we're not stupid enough to let a Weaponer just build whatever he likes. He was part of the design team, but we checked everything thoroughly before building anything. And if there's something broken or incomplete in here, then I'd assume that he's storing it here until the mood strikes him to work on it some more." I frown. "Are you at all familiar with Qwardian technology?"

"I wouldn't say familiar. Father always said that copying other people's work was lazy, so we never really prioritised that sort of theft."

"Alright, but why didn't you pick something up while he was in the far future?"

"Because he's right. That would be lazy."

"But you're looking at it now."

"Yes?"

"Isn't that just as lazy?"

"Of course not. Georgia and I had to create a novel form of faster than light travel to come and look at this. Breaking into the sorts of places that the Air Force stores recovered alien technology is far more simple."

"Thaddeus, given that you don't want to break in there and that you're nominally obeying the law now that you've been pardoned, would-?"

"Actually, only Father got pardoned. I'm still wanted in seventeen countries."

"Oh. Alright then. In the interest of getting a pardon, would you be willing-?"

"Who says I'm interested in getting a pardon?" He prods again. "Oh, heh, I see."

"Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult your villainous pride. I just assumed that since you were still working with your father you were planning on following the same trajectory. Are there crimes you feel that you want to perform?"

"No, I'm just keeping my options open. I don't like being told what to do."

"I'm not sure that I follow."

"Laws. I've never followed them and I don't think I could learn to do so now."

"You… Are aware that most people don't consider whether or not they're breaking the law on a moment by moment basis, aren't you?"

He stops, then turns to look at me.

"How does it work, then?"

"Well, most people -not you, obviously, but most people- have certain intuitions about the way people should behave in society. Not intentionally causing harm to others, not taking things that don't belong to them, trying to deal with disagreements calmly and rationally… Things like that. And they assume that the law provides an expensive brute force way to resolve disagreements that can't be resolved by the parties involved. Mostly, that's good enough, though in the case of peculiar laws it doesn't always work." I frown. "Didn't you go to a public school?"

"Yes, Mother insisted, and Father said that even a really good private school wouldn't be able to challenge us."

"But surely you-."

"Intruders!"

I turn around as The Test Subject Formerly Known As Daciya walks in, cybernetic arm glowing with golden light. I take a half-step back, but she's focusing her attention on Thaddeus.

Behind her, Nauca awkwardly raises his right hand in greeting. I nod back.

"Get your filthy hands off my-"

"It doesn't even-"

"-work, you defective-"

"-work right, see-" He uses his construct to pick the device up and turn it around. "-you got this-"

"-imbecile!"

"-turned-." Thaddeus blinks three times rapidly behind his glasses. "Excuse me?"

"Die!"

"Ah?"

Her mechanical hand twitches and a bolt of golden energy leaps at Thaddeus! I generate a construct shield-.

The bolt stops in mid-air about two thirds of the way to its target. Then a… The rectangle of space containing it changes to… Two dimensions, and rotates through 180 degrees before snapping back into three-.

The bolt strikes its mistress in the chest, sending her flying backwards with shredded robes and cracked armour. She strikes the side wall with a flare from her kinetic shield and attaches herself to it like a monkey, eyes flickering as she takes the time to scan Thaddeus Sivana Junior properly.

Who's looking at me in a decidedly disgruntled manner.

"I told you I had defensive equipment."

"I'm sorry, but I haven't seen you in the field before. I wasn't sure what you thought counted."

"Warn me if I run into someone more dangerous than Captain Marvel."

I look over to where Daciya's arm is reconfiguring itself.

"Captain Marvel doesn't try and kill you."

"Captain Marvel fights us in our laboratories. Solomon might have been wise, but he didn't have a PhD. That's how Father ended up in the future, remember."

"Who are you?"

Thaddeus pulls himself up slightly, plasma scalpel dissipating as he fiddles with his personal computer.

"I am Doctor Thaddeus Sivana, the most intelligent man on this planet."

Not true, assuming that the male Controllers are still male enough to count as male. But Dox is in orbit, and… Thaddeus probably has a greater range than Kalmin.

"And your machine doesn't work. Why did you even put it here?"

"So that in a few years I could look back at it and laugh."

Thaddeus smiles.

"Yes, I used to do that too, when I was six. Years. Old."

This time she fires two bolts. Thaddeus gets enough time to shake his head, space fracturing around them-. They explode, the energy consuming-.

Space fractures around Thaddeus, twisting around and depositing him across the room and out of the blast radius, a faintly crimson shield dealing with the remaining radiation.

He smiles.

"Interesting. Here's my retort."

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  14. Mr Zoat

No and no.

15. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Who the fuck are those two?

I have no memory of these people.

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ah, so that was Dox's plan to deal with the weaponers.

Well, Qward should be gone in a minute or too.

Also, these two are totally flirting, right?

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Daciya -> Daciya's

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  18. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The qwardianjin cultists "children" that Kalmin recruited.

19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Same.

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Female weaponer I think.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Alright! Mad scientist fight! Normally I would be more concerned, but since this is Maltus, the Maltusians could probably just fix everything they break after they're done.

They are the q'ardajin that Paul and Kalmin brought back from Qward. They're there, as otherwise they would be used as test subjects by their society's mad scientists.

mastermenthe, Istaran, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  22. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Thaddeus Jr it was mentioned didn't pursue girls or even mind control a cheerleader, it was said. It feels like this interaction is setting it up for him to hit it off with Daciya. Sivana Jr seems to come off with some Weaponer-like qualities in that Thaddeus also feels he is not accountable to most of creation. Junior and the female Weaponer are feeling out each other's mad science countermeasures but Paul is probably going to stop things before they destroy the lab.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So like Hades in the Dresden Files in letting people have the things in his vault if they're able to get into it.

maybe 'that you were planning'

And are you aware that like half the Sivanas are kinda cracked in the head?

'walks in'

She shoulodn't have said that.

No, not really.

I guess when you live in an extremely advanced society and are a couple of billions years old, gender becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Kalmin being too focused on things that go boom.

Ahh, so I'm guessing Thad here just met his soulmate.

It's like a Cardassian courtship ritual, it starts with arguments and then they bang.

Actually, that's probably how Qwardians actually do it.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When Paul and Kalmin went to Qward they were attacked by some of these guys, but they later teamed up with them and went with Kalmin when the mission was completed.

25. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

What are the Sivanas using as translators?

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Most likely something they made themselves, or the planet has some widespread translation tech to help the various races on it talk.

27. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

As someone who's only read occasional snippets of this, I'm fortunate enough to have read the right snippets, they're Kalmin's students taken back from the antimatter universe after that incident where OL and Kalmin went to kill the reformist Weaponer who was selling Qwa matter to the Reach.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's fine.

29. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Is Captain Marvel the alias in YJ? (X)

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It certainly seems that way to me.

Most entertaining this story has been in months.

Cuchulin likes this.