1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'd have liked more Truth in Godspeech just when the lasso was doing its thing, like when Paragon confronted the League after Nabu's (brain)death. Especially when Renegade revealed something he didn't want to.
    Nice to see Diana using Godspeech though; I feel like this is the first time? Maybe she did it when using the Spear of Destiny in the Silver City, but I either didn't look for Godspeech then or forgot.

Edit: Kanto'd, but the lasso's passive Godspeech (which has been seen before) and Diana using Godspeech to boost the former are two separate though obviously related things, in my opinion. Diana channeled Truth using the Spear instead of the Lasso once (unless she was using them in conjunction and I forgot. Too bad she won't do that on Earth for a minute and weed out the Light).

3000 years of possibly magical porridge makes Astarte's prowess more understandable. I'd still expect her to be an elite member of the Citizenry due to her heritage, though, instead of everyone being on her level. I'm not sure if the Citizenry was all-woman in their comics appearance, or if it's a dig at the New 52 Amazons (or both).

I wonder if Paragon is going to encounter Astarte too; I feel like he remembered a possible storyline with her at some point. Does the GLC have records on the Citizenry?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Possibly relevant to yesterday's discussion. Originally published in White Dwarf.

[​IMG]

3. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Is she a canon character? How the hell did she get in space I assume either magic shenanigans or alien abduction. Anyway very interesting look forward to more.

4. DrThoth

Yep.

Not sure if Astarte not remembering her mother is just due to it being a long time away from home or some kind of Citizenry brainwashing that Diana and the Lasso just broke through. If it's the latter, she might show up again or embark on some space mission of atonement or something. Otherwise I kind of assume she'll be stuck in a Themysciran prison (though I feel like there would be a danger of Ares taking a lot of interest in his daughter if she's back on Earth and breaking her out to become his right hand-woman).

Wonder if Diana is going to reach the end of her rope (pun(s) semi-intended) and just lasso Renegade at some point during this mission to figure out what's going on without bothering with covert operations.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paragon turned the real Grayven against the Reach...

So there's a good chance he runs into her eventually.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There might certainly be something fishy going on about her origin.

You see, her origin makes no damn sense in the comics.

Every first generation Amazon was a clay statue brought to life by Greek goddesses in New Earth continuity just as Diana was.

So Astarte going "I will be tribute!" to save an infant Hippolyta makes no sense.

Now the first generation Amazons were reincarnated, but Hippolyta was a pregnant cavewoman killed by her mate.

So if one moves it to that incarnation, then Astarte's origin should have been something like 40 to 50 thousand years ago, not 3 thousand, and Astarte would have never been an Amazon despite being the demigoddess sister of Queen Hippolyta.

So while in the comics that can probably be attributed to shoddy DC editing and writers who don't do research, Zoat might have been inspired for a more Doylist explanation.

Oh Zoat left out some of the nonsense from the comics.

You see, in the comics, after the snakes eat everyone and everything on the planet, they then eat each other until only one snake is left, and then that snake is slaughtered to feed both the crew and apparently power the ships-the ships use biofuel.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That would be a waste of effort. Why beat down the foe and start healing her, only to turn around and execute her? Or hand her to some other party? Who might not be so pleasant about her condition.

A good question. Presumably on the Citizenry's Fleet? Come to show off their leader's defeat?

Not unexpected. She's charged with magical energies, and we all know how well the basic ring handles that. :rolleyes:

:confused: ...What do you expect her to do? Ask nicely?

And perhaps get a genetic workup to confirm your suspicions?

...Typical Renegade... That's not going to make Diana very happy with you...

...And it didn't even accomplish what you wanted it to.

Being himself: short-sighted and foolish. :p

Not unless you want Diana to give you the same treatment...

...I'm not seeing a connection here.

Evidently Diana's good graces are more valuable than giving Astarte's biology a once-over. Good.

Hmm... I wonder. How long has the Lasso been around? Would Astarte recognise it?

:eek: ...Porridge. Porridge. You do all that for... Do you people not have some way to reformat the bio-mass? Never though 'I could murder a curry right now.'? :mad: Ugh, what a waste.

:rolleyes: Space Amazons, everyone.

...How much do you people eat?! How often do they do this, then? How long does the typical 'harvest' last them? Months? Weeks? Days? God, this is dumb... What the hell, DC.

...That's a lot of porridge. Are you people really happy with that?

...You can try. Whether it be Apokolips or Earth, I don't see it going well.

...Not even one whack? Knock a little attitude out of her? Or at least slow down her rate of recovery? Because you know she's going to try to escape as soon as she's strong enough. And it'll be at the worst moment.

Heh. If we hadn't seen it coming days ago, this would probably be a surprise.

Oh, what a coincidence...

Well, now, that's interesting. Presumably the Lasso itself wasn't running particularly hard, so no whispers from it. So that bit of Godspeech was from Diana herself.
    Admittedly, the last time we saw the Lasso making godspeech whispers, it was in the Paragon's timeline, and his perception of it is different... For all we know, it's been chattering away the whole time, and the Renegade wasn't noticing.

...What kind of Gasp? I know, I know, she's probably in pain, but you know the stories about Amazons. :p

Impressive that that was enough to break her resistance.

Otrera, as a reminder. A relatively minor character in Greek myth.

Not that Hippolyta, in canon, remembered Astarte, as she was very young when she was taken, and according to the story, her memories would have been fiddled with to prevent the pain of loss. Never mind the various retcons to Amazon history over the years.

Choose your next words carefully, Renegade, or she'll be putting a boot so far up you, you'll taste her shoe leather at the back of your throat... I do not think she's in the mood.

Whoops, sharing a little more than he'd meant to say, I suspect. :p

Ah, yes, those tricksy truth-compelling objects, eh, Renegade?

;) ...Bitch, have you met Aphrodite 'Queen of the Shippers' Pandemos? If the lady was hot enough, she'd probably have wanted to join the fun.

And with that, Astarte had her mind blown.

Well, the secret's out. Now to see how Astarte takes it. Wonder if she'll have a moment of big-sisterly 'What man dared bed my baby sister?' or not...I suppose once this whole thing's sorted out, there's the possibility of Astarte making a visit 'home'. I mean, technically Diana and the Renegade won leadership of the Citizenry with their defeat of Astarte. One quick round of orders and bam, whole new leaf for the fleet...

A spot of Godspeech, but one of them is a doozy!

Corrections!
    ...it is still wrong to beat a defenceless prisoner.
    I take my hand off in something of a hurry.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thanks, just checked it out and it was there.

She may not want to since it can count as mind control and she may not be so comfortable with mass mind control.

There's also the chance it can have serious side effects on the populace.

Also she may need to conquer the planet.

The Nazis needed to conquer a country before they could use the full effect of the Spear to keep the country under control.

I think they were all women, and it's not a dig at the n52 Amazons.

The Citizenry was a thing before the n52, though it was fairly close before the n52 came about.

There was an Astarte in the n52, but she wasn't a psychopath.

I think he thought of 'Diana's crazy aunt' when he was in Vega.

Assuming she wants to find redemption.

Remember she was raised by Ottera and has the blood of a psychotic war god flowing through her veins.

True Hippolyta turned out to be a perfectly sane and reasonable woman, but the same thing may not have held true for Astarte.

Though if she was brainwashed then she may want redemption.

9. Mr Zoat

Let's not pretend that anyone in DC has perfectly congruous continuity. Your history one week may be radically difference to your history in the next.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To make them think you're helping them but then turn on them.

Basically a mind game.

I think they're here to destroy the ships controls.

Though renegade can enhance his rings with his divine power.

An apt description of the Renegade.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but the Lasso can make an excellent compulsion tool.

Not the dumbest thing they've done.

There's a character named Condiment King.

Though they may have a better chance against Earth.

Hippolyta was basically a baby.

The bane of liars like renegade.

11. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Dang, with all the talk about Citizenry I was hoping for more of a Greek / Roman split.

Doccer likes this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Interesting. Was that Diana using Godspeech for the first time to empower the lasso, or just the result of using its ability to restore memories/burn away false memories instead of the regular truth compulsion?

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  13. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Zeus has entered the chat

14. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Honestly, the most offensive part of it is that they reduce them to porridge, and then SOLELY eat that.

Like, come on! Have some variety! Three thousand years of nothing but mystery meat porridge? No wonder she's such a bitch. And porridge, of all things? Sure, it's efficient, but it's so boring!

And the sheer lack of artistry! It's so... distant, so impersonal. If you're going to be an evil space cannibal, then at least do it with style, or panache, not just "Oh yes I pressed the 'convert planet into meat soup' button, and now I shall eat nothing but soup for the next thousand years." It's like buying brandless gruel and eating solely that because it technically has all the nutrients you need. Go to the space deli! Get some artisinal longpig! Make a sandwich or something!

The sheer boring-ness of the atrocities is offensive to me. This is yet another reason other Grayven needs to be stopped at any cost.

...Also the eating sapient life and genocide things, I guess they're pretty bad too.

15. DrThoth

I said 'won't' because it doesn't fit her personality, yes. And I did consider that there would be consequences of everyone confronting truth/reality for even a minute, like what happened with Green Arrow but on a bigger scale, but that just makes it more interesting for me to daydream about; I don't think it would be a logical narrative event without a lot of build-up first (though after murder-Flash, who knows?)
    How was Diana able to use the Spear on everyone in the Silver City if she didn't conquer it? She's divine/semi-divine compared to the Kriegers, so that might be part of it (though Zoat's au idea with Diana becoming Queen of Greece indicates she'd still need to claim some kind of authority over an area), and the Spear might very well function differently in the Silver City compared to Earth, being even more effective since they're both part of the same divine/Source-based power.

Did Canis get a forum account? Is this a repeat of Queen of Fables?
    (yes I know Zoat got told he couldn't do that kind of stuff here because of the no sockpuppet rule)

Vorian likes this.
  16. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

i hope grayven wipes them out.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not just Zeus.

Ares liked to have sex with the wives of Soldiers who went off to war. And Poseidon liked to rape temple priestesses.

Otto von Saurion, Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  18. DrThoth

Did he do that to anyone besides (Ovid's version of) Medusa? Not the rape part (Caenis and others come to mind, of course), but people who specifically demonstrate his predilection for temple priestesses.

19. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

I'd vote for "At least one of those planets must have had the death penalty for genocide, tens of thousands-count. Additonally 'Hostis Senti Generis' by own admission: <bang>", but Tartarus is a good thematic option.

20. Mr Zoat

It was made after the Exile.
    She might recognise the material as being the same as what her mother's girdle was made of.
    The 'need to conquer it first' was a result of the ritual the Thuel Society was using, not a characteristic of the Spear itself.

21. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Let's be honest here, Hades probably doesn't want to get involved in this shit.

Zeus is the guy who always fucking things up, send her to him so if anything goes wrong we can just blame him like normal!

22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

There was a diary fanfic where Zeus did that, wasn't there? All different colours for different people, and the MC was an ultraviolent Lantern?

MechaNova likes this.
  23. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Oh, joy. This isn't just evil, it's stupid evil.

You clearly have the technology to at least imitate the New Gods themselves. Why in the name of all that is practical in the world did your organization/civilization decide that being inefficient planet harvesters was the proper way to go about things?

The Citizenry is like the Sheeda but somehow even less practical.

Just kill her and be done with it.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I was just adding some stuff to the TV Tropes page, and I was wondering. How many succupire children does the Renegade have, and what are their names? Just curious.

DrThoth likes this.
  25. Mr Zoat

I have the list at home. Let me see if I can find it in-story...

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'The Lad' in this case is named Paul, and renegade still can't say his name.

Just in case you or anyone else was wondering who he was.

Ngamer11 and ArKFallen like this.
  27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

My mistake it was in a fanfic.

Ardy likes this.
  28. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Keanu... the Reaver.
    Goddamnit. He's gonna tell a samurai to wake the fuck up, isn't he.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or go in a quest to avenge his dog, or have an excellent time travel adventure.

Cuchulin and Someguy Somewhere like this.
  30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the comics, that was probably Astarte's decision.

The Citizenry is ruled by a tyrant whose word is law. That's how WW defeated them in the comics. When she defeated Astarte she became the tyrant of the Citizenry and she told them to retire and go find planets and take up farming or whatever.

The Citizenry didn't turn Earth into soylent green after they collected Astarte and the other 99 tribute/recruits. So why would Earth be an exception? Unless they just didn't do that back then.

So in all likelihood, the Citizenry probably turned to soylent green because Astarte said so.

Finerc, Wetbananas, Ngamer11 and 7 others like this.