1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Hence the earlier comment of not being able to remove your part of space time from the universe, since it's existence is an indivisible part of the universe itself. The violations of conservation of matter and energy are just another reason why it wouldn't work even if you COULD do it.

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Okay, then thanks to the time machine you travel before the part that wobbles.

Relyt33 likes this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, because then celestial level beings would step in and curbstomp him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Jus4532

Jus4532 Versed in the lewd.

I think that’s a bad idea. It would work in the DC universe since Death of the Endless is pretty chill and would not care if people are resurrected since in the end, everyone will eventually meet her, but Death from the Marvel Universe is stricter and harsh on anyone who would resurrect people. It will likely make things even worse if Paul resorted to necromancy in a marvel universe.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Bud-E like this.
  5. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

"what if dr. strange lost his heart instead of his hands?" he is in the car with christine and the crash leads to her death instead of his injury.

6. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th September 2012
    14:19 GMT

New Cronus is built into a crescent moon, like… Actually, it reminds me of the amulets from The Mysterious Cities of Gold, where the inner sun image slotted into the crescent moon outer. That can't be natural, but what possible reason could someone have for digging out a moon like that? Most of the city sits in the hollowed out part, with masts and veins sticking out through the rock for communications and shields. The city outwardly presents as ancient Greek, but there are clearly far more sophisticated elements. It's like someone copied the structures without any understanding of why they were the way they were.

"Feeling anything?"

Melinoë has looked mildly pained for the entire journey-. When she didn't think I was watching, anyway. Now she's craning her neck to take a closer look at the structure.

"It looks stupid."

"Or it's a display of power and security."

I mean, it's clearly not a warship. I can't see any guns, and from what my scans are telling me the shields are more the sort of thing you might expect from a space station in a relatively peaceful part of space. Not that I'd necessarily be able to detect any arcane defences, and I can't imagine anyone with Olympian heritage not having some sort of arcane protection.

Aporia looks it over, trying to come up with a better analysis.

"It looks like Olympus, a little."

I make an amused snort as I compare her description with that of her mistress.

Gaudia sneers. "They came up well short, then."

"To be fair, they're working in the material universe with mundane materials. They've done fairly well if the worst they did was come up short. Feeling any better?"

Both of them glance at Melinoë, who doesn't look at them, face impassive. After a moment to try and judge her mood, Aporia nods.

"A little better, thank you. Though obviously we aren't at anything like full power."

"Please keep me up to date. If you start to feel better or worse, I'd like to know about it."

Gaudia raises her left eyebrow.

"I'm sure we're grateful that you're so devoted to the wellbeing of beings thousands of years your senior, with far greater understanding of their own state of health than you have."

"While it's nice to be appreciated, it's more that we don't have good data on what happens when gods move between worlds. I'm hoping to write a study, and your feedback will be useful."

"Do we get a byline?"

"Hailing New Cronus. Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, Ambassador of Maltus, here as requested. I'm requesting landing instructions."

Aporia frowns.

"I wonder why they named it after Cronus? He certainly hasn't gone anywhere lately. They can't be his descendants."

"I thought that all Olympians were?"

"He ate his children. The only gods he sired who are alive today are the gods and goddesses Zeus freed. That means it's easy for us to trace them."

"If you think you've traced all the children Zeus sired, I've got a bridge I can sell-."

"Ambassador. Please approach the upper keep. We will signal for your approach."

Ring?

Language used was a recorded local language. Accent deviated from known standards by a comprehendible degree. Suggests mixing with native speakers from three other regions and relatively isolated.

But not Greek?

Correct. Not Greek.

My passengers and I fly closer, and the ring pings me as their sensors take their time to get a good look at us. Hm. Considering what sort of beings we're dealing with here, perhaps…

Ophidian.

Yes, my Agent?

Be with me. See through my eyes, hear with my ears, understand with my mind.

Happily, my Agent.

"What was-?"

I feel it as the Ophidian gives me her particular attention, my body becoming… Just a little unreal. My eyes glow as they used to when the orange light was in danger of overwhelming me and I know that under my armour my tattoos are lighting up.

Aporia and Gaudia are staring at me. Melinoë is pointedly looking away.

Aporia points at me in a hesitant manner. "No, seriously, what is that?"

"'That' is the Ophidian, Embodiment of Avarice." I shrug. "She likes me."

Aporia glances at Melinoë for guidance and gets an elbow from Gaudia.

"And… Ah, how are you doing that?"

"The Ophidian isn't technically a goddess. She's far more closely tied to the material universe via the desires of every sentient being."

"That's who you were-? Oh… Um. Okay."

We draw closer, and the scale of the place becomes a little more apparent. What I initially thought might be temples of some sort are actually amphitheatres, the roofs are a product of the artificial lighting that means they don't need to be open to the sky. Some are vast, Olympic size or larger. Which means that those are housing… Regular housing. And those are gardens? And those are palatial homes, six of them, and from where they're sited I'm going to assume that the residents either really like their views or can't stand each other.

And that's a plaza with lines of soldiers and a small group of teal-skinned locals in fancier clothing I assume are officials of some kind. Without other direction I approach, causing the four of us to land at the outer side of the plaza. Disconnecting from the trio of goddesses, I take a moment to look-.

Ow.

Okay, not doing that. These people are definitely under someone's protective aegis.

I proceed along the soldier-lined gangway, glancing at the improved magic detection system built into my right bracer. Yes, the armour is enchanted. Not to a high degree -Melinoë's armour is several degrees more powerful- but better than anything pre-arcane revolution produced by a mortal wizard.

The officials at the far end come forward a little way to greet us. Which is interesting. Normally they'd make the foreigner approach them to emphasise that they are the supplicant. But these people aren't in charge; they're functionaries, so the same rule doesn't apply.

"Welcome to New Cronus, Ambassador. Our masters and mistresses are assembling to receive you as we speak. Please, come with us. We will provide you and your companions with refreshment while you wait."

"Thank you. We shall."

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

The (Doylist) reason in the 'What if' comics often seems to be that it's a cheap way to say to complaining fans 'see, Earth-616 is really the best of all possible worlds, so shut up.' The cartoons may be that, or just bad writing. Well, also bad writing, because leaving no really good Watsonian justification for something decided on for entirely Doylist reasons is bad writing itself.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

What are the odds that what Paul's currently doing with the Ophidian is significantly more intimate than what the minor goddesses propositioning him were offering? And that that's why they, and especially Melinoë, are reacting the way they are?

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So it's most likely the Titan Seeds trying to emulate their benefactors.

Or the Titans just changed the design a bit.

'to not have' or 'not having'

Unless he did something like the thing with Donna.

'roof's a'

Not surprising given that they're Greek, or at least descended from them.

'refreshments'

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So they're basically watching him spiritually bang a godlike being and he doesn't realize this?

That's a very Paul thing to do.

11. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

OL's interactions with snarky goddesses are the best parts of this fic aside from when he was doing the "buddy cop" thing with John where they busted Doctor Gotham.

A better example of what OL is suggesting is in one of the later episodes where they bring someone who vanished and was thought dead into the present time moments before his supposed death.

Well, they have merged into a single entity before, so just sharing perceptions via soul touch is probably on the level of a quick blowjob or maybe dry humping.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just realized that either that apostrophe at the beginning should have no space after it and be italicized, or both apostrophes should be removed.

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Or more than a little of the starport city from Treasure Planet. I presume it's clear whether the supporting structure is natural or artificial... Either way, it smacks of showing off, the way they adopted such an extravagant presentation. So, much like their children, then.

Odd. I presume it's an effect of the avatar reduction. Was she like this last time she went off with OL (when she got her arm discombobulated?) Or is he just noticing it because he's looking for it?

When you can reshape a planetoid like that and not have it look foolish, people know you're powerful, eh?

I would expect that those aboard would serve as the defences. Helios alone would do a number on attacking craft with a plasma stream...

Probably so they could claim the Olympians coped them, I bet.

Indeed... When you live in a half-way realm adjacent to the dreaming, it's safe to assume physics takes a back seat to aesthetics.

:p ...And just how great a difference is that, miss 'barely known to modern scholars'?

Oh, quit being such a bitch, young lady. Just because you're feeling a bit grumpy, no need to take it on on your host.

Do test subjects usually get credit like that? :p

Realising he's a little higher placed than some callow mortal Hero, eh? Then again, compared to a Goddess... :rolleyes:

That depends on which legends you subscribe to, I suppose. Like Aphrodite's birth...

I doubt he's got a hope of beating out Genghis Khan in that respect...

Hmm... Interesting. The Titans are using locals as staff, obviously.

Given 'Greek' is quite a spread of languages in the time they would have been present on Earth... If it can be compared to modern Greek at all...

Ooh, calling in Best Snek for backup? Sensible, and likely to give your hosts a greater respect for your capabilities...

Ah, cuddle time. x3

I bet his rings just jumped up to full charge too. Because letting her Agent go into a situation without all the power at his disposal would be weak.

What, never seen raw Avarice this up close and personal, honey? I thought you were a goddess of Desire.

Now, does she want a slice of that, or is she terrified shitless (well, metaphorically and spiritually speaking...)

It's a much purer form of things than she's seen before, I suspect. Might want to point out that wearing a Power Ring gives the Embodiment a channel right into your soul...

Ah, yes. That's the sound of someone realising she was poking someone much more powerful than she thought at first.

Why not both? And I presume those are the homes of the Titans themselves, six married pairs.

At least you've got a respectable welcoming committee.

And now I imagine it having a row of magical gauges running along the inside of the forearms, like he's got a dozen wristwatches tied there... :D

And since the Titans are the ones approaching the Maltusians... Yes, the rules of Hospitality get a little uncertain, I suspect.

How polite. And entirely as expected. No doubt the Titans are watching him as they speak, trying to take his measure...

And so the diplomatic mission begins proper. I expect tomorrow will see the Titans make their actual appearance. I wonder if the lady Goddesses are reconsidering their idea to get recruited, in the face of seeing just what they'll be working for and with. That little bureaucratic job not looking so bad now, is it, girls? :p

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Do we get a byline?"

Oooooh, someone's been in the academic system.

Hire them Paul. Their desire to do anything but publish-or-perish will make them the most powerful OLs out there.

I miss Constantine

Maybe these are actually gods/goddesses freed from Cronus as well, who where banished from Olympos?

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The last time she went into space she was still in Earth's solar system, but now she's not.

That may explain why she's weaker.

Well if these are the Titans then the Olympians kinda did copy them.

I think Zeus would consider Genghis an amateur.

Though the Titans may be able to fight her.

Oceanus seemed to be able to handle Ion when they fought.

Maybe both.

Though with the tattoos they may not be able to scry him.

However technological ways of viewing may work.

17. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

That would be very useful for detecting different types and strengths of magic. Perhaps even intent too?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  18. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I think that's a no?

19. Mr Zoat

I disagree.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And Paragon shows why he should be allowed to design anything... Ever... Because if he had his way everyone would be living underground in reinforced concrete bunkers.

21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

There isn't a space after it. It just looks like there is one due to the italics.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  22. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ The Giver of warm hugs

Snakes and spiders and Cheshire
    Space gossip rags have a whole column Sealed Section devoted to OL Love life.

By Tartarus he probably warrants his own magazine.

So many shenanigans.

Ardy and RamiroGalletti like this.
  23. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

There should be a period at the end of this sentence.

24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Someone's feeling a LEETLE inadequate.

25. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

How dare you insult every RimWorld player like that? Mr Streamer burns himself enough already.

26. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Zoat, if Larfleeze's ring was partially in the Honden in a way that Paul was capable of re-substantiating it, does that mean Teekl is in the Honden someplace, waiting for Paul to do the same thing to her?

He only really became aware of the Honden after leaving Earth, didn't he?

mastermenthe likes this.
  27. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think(?) someone already asked that, and the answer was no from what I recall.

Not sure if a reason was ever given, but I'd imagine that Teekle's "essence" or whatever was used up in the ritual that Turned Constantine into a Lord of Chaos.

Could just be me misremembering though.

Ardy and nick012000 like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

I THOUGHT we AGREED not to CALL them THAT.
    I'm sorry?

29. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

More to the point, I'm pretty sure that the TVA would either prune or forcibly recruit him.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So that's how we'll get another crossover of Pauls.

Now we need to see a Paul get his hand bitten off by an alligator and another one to get together with a female version of Paul.

Vorian likes this.