1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Austin Pharos

Austin Pharos Know what you're doing yet?

I need 100 chapters of this

Ardy likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I thought about linking to that animation, then decided not to.
    If it makes you happy -or even if it doesn't- there's a Transformers: Prime one coming up.

3. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Refutation

I'm picking up some powerful 'this is live?' vibes here.

4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

awww!!! She finally got a happy ending! Did Christine not end up in the Sierra Madre in this timeline?

5. Mr Zoat

She did, but when she announced her intent to stay there and guard the place Krono nodded, telepathically stunned her and carried her out.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, DonLyn and 5 others like this.
  6. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I'm reminded of the Ben 10 Omniverse episode where some reality-warping alien kidnapped all of Ben's potential love interests to compete to be his girlfriend.

Doccer, Ardy, Ngamer11 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I kinda want to see Paul get dropped in a Romance series and see how he deals with it.

8. Austin Pharos

Austin Pharos Know what you're doing yet?

This does not make me happy.

Doccer likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

As stated, it's coming up anyway.

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I think you meant "curling"?

11. Mr Zoat

Indeed I do.

12. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

*nod* It's letting go.

Doccer and Ardy like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat mentioned that a version using a Violet ring ended up in the Twilight universe.

Though I wouldn't call that a romance story.

Doccer and Bud-E like this.
  14. Bud-E

I don't remember that but I gotta know more. Is he gonna give Bella good advice about how all the men in her life are trash or he could go the vampire hunter route with a side business of healing broken hearts.

Doccer likes this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Which is an odd plot point for that game mod given in actual Fallout canon the US was well on it's way to successfully occupying all of China with mass produced and fielded power armor troops.

16. Mr Zoat

There really isn't any reason for the SI to go anywhere near... [Checks the wiki] Forks? Really? Until the final confrontation, because there's nothing really special about the place.

Just about the only thing that Dominic Noble liked in his review was the horror aspect, so I'd play that up. Ideally, readers shouldn't realise that it actually was Twilight. Which is the best way to do Twilight.

17. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Ah, that makes a bit more sense then I remember.

I'm honestly not planning on playing OWB until they figure out what they want to do with the new update and NSB.

18. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Now, I don't know anything about the deep Twilight lore, but the image that is being painted for me is a violet lantern Paul going around an alternate Earth, where the only difference is the presence of secret vampires and werewolves, fighting horror monsters using the power of love. That doesn't necessarily sound bad by default, but it doesn't lend itself to any clear story structure I could think of.

Cuchulin, Doccer and Vorian like this.
  19. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

... Paul the magical girl?

20. Mr Zoat

Me neither. I've actually reinstalled XCOM: Enemy Within. I tried playing C&C 3 Kane's Wrath, but got annoyed that the camera wouldn't pull out further.

21. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

XCOM is always a fun time. Frustrating at times for sure but I've never had a game in it that I thought was unfun.

As an aside, if I had to name one good thing that has come out of the RTS industry in the last 20 years, it's that UIs are so much better. Someone made a total conversion Vietnam war mod for the original C&C and man the older interfaces were terrible.

I'm currently committing crimes against sentients in Stellaris. After that, maybe Supreme Commander.

mastermenthe, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  22. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Possibly, but first, it's Paul, so he would attempt diplomacy, likely with an argument based on love, and second, unless I am contradicted by the deep Twilight lore, the monsters in that world are secret, so the conflict between Paul and them would likely also be secret. Are magical girls normally secretive? I can only think of the Power Puff Girls, and they were not secretive.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I guess you, the author, would have to really know the setting to write something like Luminosity (rationalist-Bella fanfic). The fact that Paul’s memory is generally wiped of a setting before popping in would probably add a few wrinkles too.

Question. Has anyone read a Lantern fic with a Violet lantern who recharged their ring or their portable lantern via a love-crystal-petrified person? It seems like a logical writing tool to manage one’s available charge. Certainly more interesting for the audience than the way Blue lanterns recharge.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There may not need to be a large story structure, just a few snippets to show us what he's doing.

Not really.

There actually aren't that many Violet Lantern SI stories out there.

25. Lokpik

Lokpik Know what you're doing yet?

So im curious, when thE pauls met up did he trade data with the warhammer version of himself, because if he managed to get some genetic data from one of the primarch pods it might be interesting to see if he could introduce the techniques to the genomorphs

Ardy likes this.
  26. Assblaster5000

Eh, depends on the setting really. Sometimes you get a Masquerade where magic is hidden from the "common folk" for any number of (usually asinine) reasons, other times they just publicly beat the tar out of whatever the monster of the week happens to be.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn of a setting where both were true at the same time honestly.

That probably wouldn't work since all the segments featuring anything Warhammer seem to imply that The Warp (a rather important part of anything Primarch related) is either so weak as to be unnoticeable or simply absent from any non-Warhammer universes.

You might be able to jury-rig something to do with The Dreaming or Emotional Spectrum given the parallels they have to The Warp, but honestly next having access to Kryptonian (nerfed from main-line comics though they may be) genetics Primarchs really aren't special baring the psychic fuckery that they have, which Genomorphs can already do well enough at.

Edit:Just to clarify on that comment about Primarchs not being "special" compared to even a nerfed Kryptonian I'm going to bring up probably the most impressive physical feat any of The Primarchs ever achieved; That being Angron holding up a Warhound Titan's foot as it was trying to crush him and Lorgar.

Now a Warhound Titan generally speaking weighs in at around 410-ish tonnes (or just metric tons if you prefer), which is... a lot, to put it lightly.

Angron, probably the physically strongest of The Primarchs, was trying to save one of his brothers from certain death, geared in his strength boosting power-armour, being cheered on by his Legion, and just generally pushing himself as far as he could.

This almost killed him.

Compared to the normal Young Justice full-blooded Kryptonians (based off of some of the things Superman has done and was fully confident he could do) that's likely about equal, but Mr Zoat is not using the hyper-nerfed Kryptonians of YJ canon.

No no, his Kryptonians can move planetoids.

Well, they can help move them at any rate. Either way it's still so far past anything a Primarch has ever done that their genes would more so be a curiosoty than anything.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

It really wouldn't.
    Not that I remember.
    Neither Warhammer not Warhammer 40,000 SI have been anywhere near a Primarch Pod. The fragments of those pods that survive are ultra sacred Chapter relics, shielded and warded with the greatest defences the Chapter can muster.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think this is the case here.

Zoat is using the nerfed versions of Kryptonians.

If you could provide a quote or example of them moving planetoids.

Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  29. Assblaster5000

I don't remember the chapter name, but Kara, Kon, and Kal helped Paragon move... one of Krypton's moons I think it was? He provided FTL, they pushed it.

Sadly that's about all I remember about it. The chapter itself was probably from over a year ago if I has to guess though.

Edit:I really want to say that this was in the same episode as them meeting an Eradicator, maybe on or two after, but I never payed attention to episode titles back then, so I'm still stumped on when this was.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Bud-E

Has the memory wipe and the name thing ever been explained in the story? I know the plot reasons why Paul doesn't remember the universe he's in but why can't he speak his name?

Assblaster5000 likes this.