1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I did not! That is interesting.

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The ability to short assets is good for an economy that performs a necessary role in market corrections, yes. But as is always the case... you can have too much of a good thing.

3. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

OK, I have to disagree with this, on account of bad logic.

If they change things and it 'mind controls' people, any resulting mind control would be of the exact same magnitude as they are currently being mind controlled by the place existing as it is in its current form. They are not installing a new brainwashing machine.

If he is worried about the connection between the place and the populace after changes are made for the better, he should be more worried about the connection between the place and the populace when it is currently a shithole ruled and made in the image of the embodiment of political corruption. Because people are already inclined to be horrible.

I don't think any positive changes would last; human nature to turn it back into a shithole by degrees eventually, but the current negative status quo could very well be contributing to a degenerative feedback loop, Tomorrowland style. Feeding mankinds worst impulses back into themselves.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Windona like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

7th November 2012
    Roughly 10:20 GMT -5

I stop, then turn back towards him.

"Why not? I mean, it's right there, and that much blood can't be healthy."

"Do you think it's coming from John Constanteen?"

"Ah, no, but-. Ah, it's pronounced 'Constantine'."

"Okay, Constantine. You know he's not in there, don't you?"

"Yes?"

"And Uncle Sam probably isn't either?"

"Probably not. If he'd lost that much blood I think he'd be dead. Eagle?"

"Oh yeah, dead. He can take a licking but he's only got the same amount of blood as a normal person."

"Right. And that Smiler guy isn't either. This place…" He turns his head to look at the city, then raises it slightly to try and see beyond it. "It's some sort of American nightmare, but it was here yesterday and it'll probably be here tomorrow. Maybe it would be better to stay on-task."

"Yeeeeaaah but… It's just, that can't be a good sign, right?"

"Probably not. But the way I see it, there's always going to be a worst thing about a place, and we can't change history. If we can't risk fixing the whole place then it's best to just keep going." He give me a sly smile. "Besides, don't you wanna give Smiley a blacker eye for getting you killed?"

"My death was temporary. The damage he's doing to the psyche of the human species is ongoing." I glance at the torch, but he's right. That's not of primary importance right now.

Wait a moment.

"Doctor Mist called you in, didn't he?"

"You just repainted the Statue of Liberty, Paul."

"I cleaned it! The green colour was from the rust!"

"And that's why the Justice League has a Paul Protocol."

I throw my arms up in delight! "YES!"

Alan frowns, puzzled. "Ah… I don't think I understand what you're so happy about."

"How many people can say that the Justice League have a plan specifically to deal with them?"

"A.. few dozen..? Mostly bad guys?"

I nod, still smiling. "Exactly. Washington DC next?"

"I…" Alan considers for a moment, then nods. "Can't hurt."

"Eagle? Vulture? Any anti-air weapons along the way we should worry about?"

The eagle shrugs. "I don’t know. I make a point of not coming here."

"There's a metaphor about people with different points of view not talking to each other, there. Vulture?"

The vulture nods. "Washington is defended by the entire Military Industrial Complex. Weapon emplacements as far as the eye can see. Let me know when you get into range, so I can hop off and get first dibs on your remains."

Alan nods. "How about if we come in from above?"

"You could, but you'd have to avoid the Star Wars Defence Platforms."

"Underground?"

"Putrid worms. They're pretty common in Washington. They hide underground so that no one can see-."

"Yes, thank you, I worked that one out."

Alan nods. "So how do we get in there?"

The vulture ruffles her feathers. "Be a vulture? They don't bother me."

"Could we sneak in?"

"I don't know. I've never tried." … "Because I'm a vulture."

"Okay, well I don't feel like trying to fight some sort of magic reflection of America's military power. How about you?"

The eagle shakes its head. "No. Do you think we could inspire them to side with the real America?"

An interesting question, and one I started wondering about when I read The Ultimates. Skrulls infiltrate the Pentagon and give one set of orders to the American military. Then Captain America gets on the radio and asks for backup, and he's the one they choose to obey. A bit Great Manny, maybe, but it showed people doing what they thought was right rather than what they were supposed to. But…

"I don't think that's how things work here. But I suppose that we won't know until we get a closer look. If we fly that way slowly we should get some warning before we reach their cordon."

Alan nods. "Alright. South west, or along the coast?"

"Given how big the American navy is, I'd have thought that directly west and then directly south would be best."

"Over New York?"

Ah… "Vulture, how high up do you have to be before the Star Wars Defence Platform starts shooting?"

"I'm a black vulture, not a fried chicken."

Alan and I look at each other, then we both raise construct shields over the group, the eagle immediately jumping off his perch and awkwardly hovering in the exact centre of the shielded area.

And then we're off, the streets of Evil New York passing beneath us. They're like… Every idea of what grim and decaying tenements would look like, but taller and built along narrower streets and… I think the roof is bigger than the ground floor?

Alan's head jerks around as he spots something. "Did you see that?"

"See what?"

"Someone was trying to climb out of that.. window, and it kinda… Swallowed them back up."

"Vulture, are there any real people here?"

"I think of myself as a real person, yes."

"Material people, or are they all manifestations of the American psyche?"

"I think it's just you. But I haven't looked everywhere."

"Which means that's probably a living metaphor for… Poverty? Violent communities? So if as a general policy we're not touching anything we don’t have to…"

"Yeah. It's just… Seeing folks in need and not stepping in…"

"Not the heroic thing to do, I know. But like you said…"

"Yeah. I kinda wanna have it out with that Smiley guy, too."

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The guy is the embodiment of a nation, so blood loss may not impact him.

Or maybe it can.

Though Paul may try.

Happy that they're being proactive in dealing with chaotic cases?

A few, but I doubt they're thrilled by it.

"Skrulls"

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'An'.

7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Honesty whatever happened to having magical wards? Is the OCD spell that powerful?

8. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Alan knows something about the blood fountain.

The way he talked Paul out of looking at it was mega suspicious. They spent so long talking about it, it'd have been faster just to let him look.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Given the context, that law was a good idea, IMHO.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

His wards only stop him being spied on by mystical means.

If they deafeat Boss Smiley they will automatically fix a large section of this nightmare, but they will necessarily have to ignore a lot of fucked up shit.

A test for Alan's compassion and Paul's Super-OCD.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Stop making excuses for your curiosity, OL. You've got more important things to do. You can come back and play with the sprinkler later, once you've introduced the asshole-in-chief's tonsils to your shoe leather.

There we go, distract him by mispronouncing words. Like handling a toddler with ADHD, sometimes. :rolleyes:

Things would probably not be nearly so quiet if John were around.

Regeneration bedamned, even Wolverine would run dry in an... Hour or so?

Good, mispronounce his name, use cutesy insulting nicknames. If even those let him hear you, then let him hear you making fun of him....

Because he's already going to have a matching pair of shiners once they get their hands on him, of course... :p That yellow face might be black-and-blue by the time they get done.

And now even OL realises how badly he's getting distracted. Finally!

Well, technically... Maybe if he applied an anti-corrosive coating after polishing it back to original standard...

And this may be the first time anyone's mentioned such a thing to his face. :D

Oh, come on. Don't you ever get a little thrill when bad guys turn and cry your name when they see your glow come up behind them?

Though for a great many of them, it comes down to 'disable exotic defences, punch in face - righteously.'

I can't help thinking he feels like he just got played.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out their version of the Pentagon is a giant death fortress...

You assume there's going to be anything bigger than ash once they get done shooting?

Because of course they have a working version. :p That probably consists of space fighters and guys with laser swords, because rule of funny.

Are they purple? :p Or is it a case of Red vs Blue?

No doubt Invisibility and Phasing won't work. The Grinning Bastard probably has protections against that.

...Maybe using giant construct vulture shells? :confused: ...It could work.

And now I'm picturing giant GI Joes running around with laser-shooting M4s yelling propaganda slogans... Because rule of funny.

Hey, when America's Ass tells you to do something, you do it. :p

Well, do you want to be dodging Navy flight patrols? Which I am now picturing as pulling stunts like every jet-fighter action movie of the 80's, because, you guessed it, rule of funny. Rule of Three, baby!

Especially since this Big Apple is rotten to the core...

Vulture not known for setting altitude records, after all.

Because why let physical laws get in the way of malign architecture.

Probably a stand-in for the downtrodden masses.

Not what they meant, and you know it, Gordon.

Because why put any effort in? Magic can handle the hard part of finding corpses for you to loom over and pick at.

Focus, Alan. Focus on grabbing that Yellow-headed Asshole in a big construct hand and putting your boot to his ass repeatedly. That'll do more to clean this place up than anything else you could do.

That's the ticket.

And so the road trip continues! With any luck, the Smiling Ponce will be so overconfident that he basically ignores them. And who knows, perhaps they'll find allies out there. Maybe they'll come across the real Uncle Sam, trapped in his worst nightmare, or meet a certain wanderer wearing a red sweater with a Presidential seal... But whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be fun to watch.

13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I completely understand.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I can't help but feel LePaul is playing into Smiley's hands given if Smiley really wanted him dead he could just snap LePaul out of existence now that he's here.

15. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Weird coincidence. I randomly wondered what a literal version of that concept would look like with just yesterday.

16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I doubt it. There are other powers at work that oppose Smiley, one of which is the embodiment of greed her self.

17. JeanEricVillon

JeanEricVillon Getting out there.

The Cracklands are all of America's worst corruptive elements embodied, yeah? Systems bent to serve as suffering engines of wealth extraction for the rich and powerful and all that?

Isn't Paul the wealthiest man on the planet with all that old asteroid mining?

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I would think a bigger issue is that it would be off theme for Smiley.

Smiley is Political Corruption, or at least as close it doesn't make no never mind.

Smiting is antithetical, he doesn't get his hands dirty, he has other people do his dirty work.

With conceptual powers, that ought to be important.

19. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

"Think about it. For them, those plans revolve around how to directly disable or counter their abilities, along with any potential plots they may have in motion. Whereas short of a situation similar to when I was fused with the Ophidian, any plan to deal with me is likely going to be a lot less 'punch-to-face' in the end. So it's either going to be a good exercise in lateral thinking, or attempting to direct me to situations that would be a more effective use of my efforts."

20. Mr Zoat

He's not American.

21. JeanEricVillon

JeanEricVillon Getting out there.

True, I suppose that might put him outside of the twisted conceptual 'America'-scope of the place. Or does that put him in the role of massive foreign investor?

Things to ponder.

22. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Honestly at this rate and especially since we're going to go see the Military Industrial Complex, I'm half expecting Senator Armstrong to show up.

[​IMG]

23. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

A thought... The DC military industrial complex has created some things the real world version hasn't. Like weapons intended to counter supervillains (and superheroes). And Major Force. And depending on how much of it was a Lex Luthor pet project and how much was government funded or intended for government end customers, arguably Kon and Match. Spiritual representations of the worst aspects and interpretations of the military industrial complex could well include created super people that could be quite nasty.

24. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

A while back Paul showed he could greedy-port out of the underworld. While he has a physical pathway in and out of there on paradise island, he demo'ed he couldn't properly transition when he first went down there because the local physics were wonky.

So if that place is realm apart from reality, and he can pop in and out, I guess he might have a shot doing it from the heartlands or heartless-lands here. I just don't know if you'd want to poke a hole into the plane of greed in the middle of the american subconscious.

Now that we're poking the....hmm... I guess olympus was described as a 'region of earths thamosphere formatted by the greek gods' so I guess the heartlands are formatted by american minds. So what's defining the interactions between them and reality....not just in the 'you smack a conceptual link here and somewhere in 'merica a flag falls over' but the interactions with each other.

So....earth has it's little magical bubble....picture that as a huge ocean....now you have on that ocean islands of stability around big concepts. Related concepts are closer to each other and easier to get from one to the other, (freedom eagle here was afraid that the japanese gods were infecting america with cat girls and other things enough to bridge the gab between their 'island' of faith and his own).

Honestly it's like magic is the Bleed, but in miniature. Instead of whole universes in a multiverse, you get pocket realities in one universe.

25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Admittedly I wonder what the people in charge of restoration/preservation would think. Huh, I can imagine a few art restorers desperately trying to get into contact with Paul now.

It really is flattering! Especially since the plan isn't one for taking him down necessarily, any hero worth their salt has a 'take down another hero if they get mind controlled etc' plan.

Yeah, that's gotta sting. Superheroes tend to suck and handling powerlessness.

A thought- wasn't Alan a CEO of a broadcasting company? Would that have impact?

26. Mr Zoat

Yes! Not true, but a very very good lie!

27. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Considering the Heartless Lands are representative of the bad parts of the American collective subconscious, I don't know if that would actually change anything. Greed is already a core part of what we're seeing, to the point that I'm a little surprised the vulture hasn't had orange text.

However, Boss Smiley apparently runs things here. So creating a direct connection between his realm and the plane of greed could allow Boss Smiley access or influence on the orange light through that connection, which sounds like a tremendously bad idea.

28. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Wait, really? Do they pronounce it like that in the movie or something? If so, I’ve been doing it wrong all these years.

Also, I could have sworn that Paul specifically didn’t remove the rust but only the muck like guano from the Statue of Liberty, but looking back I guess I misremembered. Classic Paul being a dick.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Windona like this.
  29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

It's a bit of a running gag that it was supposed to be -tine when it started out, but everyone went with -teen as things went on. They even had a crack at it on TV a while back.

------

Thank you, I'm now slightly more confused then when I started.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

In the Swamp Thing comics, John sounds it out for one of Alec's friends as 'Con-stan-tyne'. The other pronounciation is only accurate in reference to the Constantine film parallel.
    I didn't know about the statue's original colour when I wrote that and think this is funnier.
    It's a quote from The Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett, where Vimes tries to understand time travel.