1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I feel like this arc ends with John as a whole being reformed. Technically that includes the demon.

2. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Just the excess stuff, he's always had a surplus supply.

3. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I feel this might result in John as a whole being de-formed.
    Like, recombine John Constantine's many selves and powers into one whole, then split him apart again into a family of fraternal twin selves with a hive-mind telepathic link between them, everyone gets everything, but its all diffused, no one gets a concentrated piece of X or y or z, no one gets all the chips magic or all the order magic or all the demon magic, instead you have a dozen mediocre John Constantine knockoffs who can never pull off Constantine-tier disasters except by working together as a team.

It's foolproof.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The first time he showed up he staged a terrorist attack that killed over 40 people, he later started distributing a drug that turns people into demons, helped free Oceanus, tried to turn Paul into a demon, helped criminals etc.

ChestBurster, kerleth, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It makes perfect sense. "Turbo" means "powered by a turbine" and the earliest practical jet engines were turbojet engines. In this universe, public discourse clearly chose to abbreviate the "jet" part instead of the "turbo" part -- which actually makes MORE sense than what we chose in our universe, because strictly speaking rockets are jet engines, but they're definitely not turbo engines.

You mean "one of their barrels", right?

Semicolon instead of comma.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Not to this SI, it doesn't.
    No.
    Thank you, corrected.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well this is connected to Constantine, so it's highly likely to happen.

kerleth, Windona, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

At least they made it to Fate's tower relatively in tact.

9. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

well... more unhinged...

Vorian and Bud-E like this.
  10. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

For the record, "superbomb" was used for a bit as the popular term for a nuke before the fact that it was based on fission was released ("Army's New Superbomb Wallops Japs Again!" and the like), and indeed, if these were fusion (hydrogen) bombs instead of the fission (uranium) bombs used in combat IOTL, the original code phrase for them was "'Super' Bomb," to limit the spread of the knowledge that they were fusion devices; that was dropped entirely after we confirmed that the Soviets had independently developed a Teller-Ulam fusion design.

"Turbo" engine annoys me for the same reason "turbojet" became "jet" in popular use IOTL--there were already "turbo" engines in use. Most of the high-altitude fighters and bombers from WW2 used turbochargers (or, as they are more technically called, turbosuperchargers) to be able to breathe at 30,000 feet; if you just called it a "turbo" engine, then you have to differentiate from a turbocharged engine that uses an exhaust gas turbine to pump more air into the intake manifold.

Very first thing I thought of:

kyomei93, kerleth, Mr Zoat and 4 others like this.
  11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

That last part is obviously a lie.

kyomei93 likes this.
  12. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    11:01 GMT -5?
    20:02 GMT?
    31:65 GMT -17?

"There's something very wrong with these clocks."

Dr. Balewa looks at them for a moment and then nods, smiling. "Ah! I see."

"See what?" Alan looks at the clocks and then frowns. "Thirty one?"

"Not everywhere uses the same clock. There are parts of reality folded away from the world, and it is useful for Fate to be able to discover what the time is where they are."

"Alright, but the day is twenty four hours long. If they divided the day into a hundred parts then I'd get it, but that clock has forty five numbers. Was there a human civilisation that used to divide the day into forty five?"

"I do not think so. But the arc of the sun is a conceptual element thet is just as susceptible to manipulation within a part of the Earth-sphere thet has been twisted out of alignment as any other."

"I mean, twenty five hour, I'd understand-."

"Is this the sort of thing-" The Demon Constantine picks himself up from the carpet. "-superheroes talk about?"

Alan shrugs. "I tried getting them into football, but it turns out that it's not all that popular outside of the US. Did you find a trace yet?"

"I did, but I don't know if we can dodge the tower's spirit to get there."

"I haven't seen it for a while. Are you sure it's still active?"

"There's a limit to how much I can prod these spells without setting something off. As far as I can see, the detection network is still active. Exactly where it goes?" He shrugs. "Can't be sure."

"Doctor Mist?"

"I do not have Constantine's advantage when it comes to avoiding detection. And I am… Eh, somewhat behind in my studies of thaumaturgy."

Alan looks thoughtful. "So, can we just ask the spirit? I talked with it a few times in the forties, and it was always helpful."

"Maybe. And maybe it turns on the Tower's defences and phones the new boss." He shrugs. "Up to you, mate."

Sanderson shakes his head. "I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, we snuck into his house. I'd be mad if someone did that."

"Constantine, do you have a preferred first name?"

"Yeah. John."

"We can't have three John Constantines on a single mission. It's too confusing."

"Quinn's not a Constantine."

"Really? Because this whole mission is premised on the assumption that he is, and if it turns out that John the First really did just pick some Welsh guy I'm going to feel very stupid."

"I mean, he's not-. He doesn't have the right attitude. He hasn't suffered like Constantines usually do. Not just me, or whatever John 'the First' gave me. Look at our family tree and you'll see a bunch of men who scraped through by the skin of their teeth. And getting their teeth ripped out in the process. Quinn never had anything like that happen to him. He's not used to losing."

"That just suggests that the Constantine line has produced someone capable of exercising good judgement and not getting in over their head." I look away for a moment, taking in the clock room's many clocks and trying not to look at the dials. "Can you find John the First?"

"No. I can find where he's been, but Quinn's not going to put him somewhere without wards."

"Would John have given him the memories of how to remove magical traces?"

"We're out of luck if he did."

"How about Quinn's traces?"

The Demon frowns. "No, I can trace those easy enough. Why?"

"If we know where he goes a lot, we can avoid those areas so we don’t bump into him. But he'd have to visit John the First sometimes." The Demon doesn't look sure. "Wouldn't he?"

"Depends where he put him. Last time I saw him, John was a leaking hole in the arcane universe filled with conflicting energies. Place as orderly as this, you should be able to feel him."

Sanderson looks concerned. "He's not dead, is he?"

"Doubt it. Think we'd all know about it if someone pulled that off. And you'd have found me off me face in a bar hosting the biggest booze-up ever. So? Marching orders, el comandante?"

I nod. "Look for paths he uses. We'll check each of them."

"Could be here a while. But since none of us age, who cares?"

"My girlfriend-." / "What do you mean?"

I frown at the clearly unnerved Sanderson, while The Demon openly scoffs.

"You're eighty years old and made of dream sand. What, did you still think you were human?"

"Seventy… Five. And yeah, I kinda did."

The Demon grins, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Heh. Yeah." He turns away and walks through a doorway. "I've got a trace. Don't know exactly where it goes, but it's probably not going to be a fuckin' race track."

Alan lays his right hand on Sanderson's shoulder, giving The Demon's back a mild glare. Personally, though… Isn't it a straightforward upgrade? His human body is human enough for ninety nine percent of the time, he gets a useful sand form and medium grade immortality. So The Demon's saying he's… What, that his human form is a dream so strong that it affects reality? Might mean that he can't have children naturally, but there aren't a lot of seventy five year olds who can do that.

I'll talk to him when we get out. Alan will commiserate with him, but I can emphasise the positives.

But since we're going deeper into the Tower of Fate, it's time for heavy armour. I rise a little way off the ground, the comforting bulk of my power armour appearing around me. And just to be clear what our purpose is, I write 'detain' in white paint on the larger armour plates.

"Everyone?"

Alan nods and construct armour appears around him. Dr. Mist shimmers faintly as he invokes his own protections, and after a moment's delay Sanderson's outline blurs as he converts his body to human-shaped sand.

Then we slowly walk after The Demon Constantine.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"at them"

Some.

Oh, it's popular, but it's not your type of football.

15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

You can paint power ring constructs? What happens when he dismisses them or their destroyed?

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...That's not an understatement. 31:65 GMT? What kind of planetary rotation is that tied to? A yo-yo? Or one with multiple suns? See, this is why most fantastic 'otherworlds' still work on a roughly 25-hour day. Less complicated for authors to keep track of.

Maybe the place it counts for is a giant planet with a longer day? Just don't go reading the labels, it could be some mind-breaking arcane script.

To be fair, the division of time is largely arbitrary, beyond 'early light-time', late light-time and 'dark time'...We only use the times we do (60 seconds, sixty minutes, twenty-four and a bit hours) because maths.

Much closer to the human biological tempo, innit? And a little less imprecise when it comes to counting solar orbits.

No, you mean 'hand-egg.' Most of the world plays sports that don't require play to stop completely every time someone get tackled...

And does it still wear Kent Nelson's face? Or has it updated to resemble John? ..Ooh, let's hope it doesn't share the original Constantine's personality.

Great. So the rogue doesn't know how the traps work or how to disarm them, the wizard can't detect them easily, and the Clerics might have trouble healing. :rolleyes: A fine adventuring party this is...

Well, that depends. Do you trust it to treat you as guests, not intruders, since you didn't exactly get security passes at the front door...

Feeling a bit guilty? But breaking and entering is a fine vigilante tradition, don't you know? Might be harder to make a silent exit, Batman-style, but still...

That won't get confusing at all, no sir. :rolleyes:

Now hang on, didn't you say he might be like you, or was that someone else?

...Oh. He's not a Constantine because he didn't earn it in blood and pain. Petty.

So, much like storing a loaded firearm, then. One that's prone to going off half-cocked, and often while pointing at you.

Although doing so would mean removing his own memories of how to, and we know he's been covering his tracks well.

Ever seen a carpet someone walks on a lot, compared to, say, a spot that's been under furniture for years? Quite a difference.

OL can sometimes miss things as plain as the nose on his face, you know...

Certainly, whoever managed that would be crowing it to the high heavens.

Hooray for semi-immortality.

Ah, he hasn't quite grasped the full implications of being silicate-based, hasn't he?

Still says a lot that you had to take a moment to do the math, Sandy.

And hopefully it's not a 'reverts human biology to previous saved setting' deal whenever he transforms, so he can let a little gray in later.

Even if said heavy armour hasn't exactly made a good showing of itself some of the last times you've used it?

Well, at least they have a plan now...

And so the sneaky part begins... :p With OL putting himself in full plate. Better hope it's enchanted with silent movement. Meanwhile, once this is all over, Sanderson might need a little therapy, if only to help him come to terms with his new-found quasi-immortality. Assuming they survive the inevitable 'excrement hitting the rotary cooling device' that anything involving a Constantine, ersatz or not, tends to invariably descend into... :oops:

17. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

He is referring to his normal power armour he cares in subspace, I believe.

18. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

The armour is physical, not a construct. He keeps it in subspace.

Vorian, Bud-E and moralrelativity like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And the name of the sport is an accurate description of what happens in it and what appendage is used.

It wouldn't be a proper band of murderhobos if they weren't slightly incompetent.

He's a Constantine, so of course he'd be petty.

Ohoh, yeah.

21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

commiserate him -> commiserate with him

22. Mr Zoat

I...

I genuinely didn't know that's how it was said.

23. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Reading the word pointlessly literal, to commiserate someone would be to make them as miserable as you are.

So more a John thing than Alan.

BookZone, Vorian, kerleth and 5 others like this.
  24. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

I can't find the quote, but it reminds me of something Rupert Giles said : something like "I don't understand why Americans needs to wear pounds of armour to play rugby"

25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

It's commiserate with.

Aww Sandy. Probably not great for his concept of self, but there are worse things than finding out you're immortal.

Though it would be utterly hilarious if Quinn really was innocent and/or not a Constantine.

26. Mr Zoat

Oh, he doesn't say 'Americans'. He says 'a nation that prides itself on its virility'.

Edit: Can't find a clip, but here's a better quote.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  27. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

I would imagine the paint falls to the ground.

28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually one word

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

Technically things like boxing gloves and football gear make it so the sport is more dangerous, not less. The athletes in question are able to exert more force against one another without being damaged commensurately.

Things like bare knuckle boxing or Rugby, believe it or not, are less dangerous than actual boxing or football. So it's always funny to hear takes like that.