1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And you should be happy about that given how bad those versions of you have gotten mentally.

Istaran and Enochi like this.
  2. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Seraphim of my Heart? That's a new one. Speaking of Angels, did Angel Paul, the one that was a part of Suicide Squad, ever get involved in the events of the Justice League Dark movie? After all they share the same universe as I recall.

Good point, villains make for very rude wedding crashers

Vanishing Point? Other Versions of Paul? Was this the event with Time Trapper and Krona or something else entirely?

It would be quite the reunion. What do they think of him?

He has a lantern ring, one of the most powerful tools/weapons in fiction and can use it to harvest gold from asteroids in the belt of the Solar system. I'd say he qualifies for these two necessities.

An absolute necessity in any good relationship

Healthy and sensible thing to do. But when did that happen?

A sensible request when you are getting married to the son, daughter or otherwise child of a villain. Let's hope she keeps to that promise.

Prince Charon and Ngamer11 like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They do, and it would make sense for John to contact him. But I can't give a firm answer without watching the film.
    Yes.
    Neither of them know him.
    I'm not so sure, and Ms. Darkhölme certainly doesn't feel that way. There's a reason why she raised it third.
    Did you not click on the link?

4. BrotherofaStudio

I hope we'll see it at some point.
    Which one?
    I'm a bit surprised that Kurt doesn't know seeing as Nightcrawler is an X-Man.
    Love not necessary for this sort of relationship? Are you serious? And what do you mean by Raised it third?
    Actually I didn't.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

The Vanishing Point incident.
    No, not in this universe.
    Raven brought up being capable of touch and having money before love. She didn't love Kurt's father, but would have been happy staying with him if Kurt had looked normal or if he hadn't freaked out.

Ardy, Jaron, Xmaster3000 and 2 others like this.
  6. BrotherofaStudio

I mean was it the Krona and Time Trapper or was something else entirely?
    Oh, Okay
    Okay, perhaps "some" relationships can work out as simply being amicable, but overall, in most cases I disagree and I would like to close the matter on that. That is a subject I don't want us to drag out like the Kuvira thing. But there is also The Raised it third, I still don't understand what you mean by that.

7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It was that.

BrotherofaStudio likes this.
  8. BrotherofaStudio

Thank you

9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Please do so. Other than her particularly large forms being surprisingly light, and I think Wolverine's tracking ability, I know of no others.
    It's been a long time since I watched the show religiously.
    ...that honestly makes sense to her character personality if Mystique actually raised her at some point...

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

LOL!! Spelling and grammar are clearly not my strong points.

11. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Mystique asked about Paul's fiscal wealth and personal power before asking about love between him and Rogue. Zoat is implying that that is indicative of her priorities, that she didn’t ask about love prior to wealth or power.

I'm not going to touch Zoat's hot take about the necessity of love, tempting though that may be.

12. Mr Zoat

Yes, it was them.
    This isn't me saying that it isn't important. It's Raven believing that it isn't important.
    It was the third thing she asked when she was deciding whether she was alright with him marrying Anne-Marie.

13. Threadmarks: Meanwhile on Earth 534834 (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Earth 534834

8th February 1992
    13:47 GMT +1

"Good afternoon!"

I drop down onto the side of the field where the monks are preparing the ground for spring planting. I get a few shocked stares, but none of them flee in terror or anything. Flying superhumans aren't anything particularly new; the earliest flying superhuman fights in the historical record happened during World War Two and a couple were caught on camera film.

The monk closest to me looks around for a moment -diffusion of responsibility is a wonderful thing- before smiling awkwardly and coming a little closer.

"God be with you, stranger. I am Brother Johan. What brings you to our monastery?"

"I'm looking for a fellow-" Whom I don't look at, whose hood is currently covering his unusual features. "-called Kurt Wagner. I understand that he's a brother here? Ah, sorry if he.. took a new name when he took his vows, I don't.. really know how that works."

"And what do you want with Brother Kurt?"

"To invite him to my wedding. I'm getting married to his sister-"

I see the tip of his tail twitch under his habit, the tension in his frame and the slight gleam as his eyes fix on me.

"-in a little while, and I wanted to.. check that he could come. I mean, if his vows include staying on-site we can visit later, but it would be nice to have him there. Obviously, I'll cover the costs of travel-."

"Ah-h…" The monk… No computerised records, yes, so I can't just get his name. He actually looks around at Mr. Wagner, who walks off in the direction of the monastery barn. "I… I will need to speak to Brother Kurt to see if he can be disturbed. Many Brothers like to spend time away from the world in prayer and contemplation."

I smile and make a small wave with my right hand.

"I quite understand. If he's occupied, I'll just leave contact details and he can.. write a letter to me or something."

"Or his sister?"

"I'm trying to set it up as a surprise for her? I sort of… I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bungle the proposal, so the pleasant surprise is going to have to come from somewhere else, so I thought that I'd track down the whole family and invite them along." I shrug, then we just look at each other for a moment. "So..?"

He blinks, then nods.

"Oh, yes, of course. Please, come this way, and I will see if he can speak with you."

I follow him as he leads the way over the rough ground towards the monastery building. This place is… Well, it's not that remote, not as the crow flies, but with mountains all around I don't imagine that it's high on the priority list for electricity or plumbing.

So this monk clearly knows who Mr. Wagner is, but I don't know for certain that the rest do. An isolated monastery offering refuge to an abandoned child with an unsightly 'deformity' isn't exactly a new story, and… I remember in The Elenium, where after dealing with corruption in the church hierarchy for most of the story, they encounter a priest in an isolated village who is completely devout and only wants to help the main characters and his parishioners. One of them commented wryly that while he was the sort of person who was suppose to be drawn to the priesthood, he'd probably die if he got put into an actual leadership position that took him away from his flock.

"I don't believe that you told me your name."

"Ah. No, I…"

"I know. Costumed fighters do not use their names." He smiles at me. "When I was a boy, I had a Captain America poster on my bedroom wall."

"I go by Orange Lantern, but my actual name… I sort of freeze up when I try and say it." But fortunately Mr. LeBeau made me a name badge. I take it out of subspace and hold it up. "You seem like the trustworthy sort."

"Thank you." He smiles and then opens the side door to the… Main hall. "If you would like to wait here…"

"Thank you, but that won't be necessary."

I scan for Mr. Wagner's location and transition there. He's hanging upside down from one of the barn loft's roofing beams, staring at the main doors as he chants prayers and fingers his rosary. I invert myself and stand on the beam next to him.

"Bit of-" His head jerks around, and his cowl slips off his head. "-a shock."

He regards me for a moment. "But you are not shocked. You knew what I look like."

"I've seen a lot of strange things. You're not even top ten. No offence intended."

"And… My sister. I have a sister."

"Your natural mother adopted her, yes."

"You know who my mother is?"

"Yes. And I've already invited her."

"And she..? She is like me?"

"No, she has red hair."

He blinks, slowly. "No, I mean, she is… She looks…"

"She has blue skin. No fur though. And she can change her appearance at will." Huh. "So I suppose she might have fur and just never show it."

"This is… A lot… To take in."

"Okay, well, I can leave you here to think about it if you like. But if you've got any questions, now seems like a good time to ask them."

"Do you know my father as well?"

"Um, no. Sorry. He and your mother had separated before she.. adopted Anne-Marie."

"But you know who he is."

"Baron Christian Wagner. German. I.. think he's still alive." I shrug. I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched mentioning his name, because it didn't really matter. 'Sired a child on Mystique, reacted badly to him being a mutant' is his role and that doesn't require him to have a name. But in a real living world there are all sorts of records of things like that.

"Why was I abandoned? Is it because… I am.. like this?"

"Basically, yes. Your mother obviously wouldn't have a problem with it, but she's… She… Honestly, I don't know exactly why, but she's a member of a mutant paramilitary organisation and it's hard to bring up a young child in that sort of situation. Ah. Don't know about your father. If you want me to… Sound him out about talking to you, I can go and do that?"

"A… A paramilitary?"

"Yes, she's a founding member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Um, though the name is really for the intimidation factor rather than any real commitment to evil as an ideal. That's how she met my girlfriend; Anne-Marie got thrown out of the family home once her abilities manifested."

"She is… A criminal."

"She's not… Much worse than people like the Friends of Humanity. And it wasn't that long ago that the American government was sending out giant robots to abduct and imprison people with the X-gene without trial in a clear violation of the American constitution. It's.. not exactly paranoia when a lot of people actually are out to get you."

"Perhaps… Perhaps it would be best if you told me most about my sister. Or do I have any other brothers or sisters?"

"None who I'm going to be inviting."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  14. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

I'm kind of surprised that he didn't end up detecting some of what Baron Wagner really is...Azazel is not that subtle with things there

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Baron Wagner and Azazel are two different individuals.

Mystique also murdered the Baron because he suspected her (correctly) of carrying someone else's child.

So whether Mystique didn't do that here in universe 92131 or if he's just fuzzy on the details remain to be seen.

16. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

I remember for a while that Baron Wagner was Azazel in disguise, and that had been the suggestion for a while, and a good chunk of the ensuing mess was Kurt's appearance and him trying to shift blame for the "demon baby" thing

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed. Though I don't think the Invaders existed as a formal thing, Namor and Captain America were running around. Heck, Logan even met Cap back in the war, long before he became Wolverine. Got to love the subtle historical connections present even in the animated shows.

'Diffusion of Responsibility', as in 'Is someone else going to handle this? No? Welp, I'm it...' It's an actual observed behaviour in emergencies, after all. Though this is thankfully not so dangerous.

Always wondered why they didn't go with the 'gypsy circus' origin for animated Nightcrawler. Then again, that would have dragged in plot things like Amanda Sefton and her sorceress mother. And the '92 series really didn't like magic.

Yes, I can see that being quite the shock to him. Given he has no idea of his origins here...

He's dealing surprisingly well with this bizarre superhuman dropping out of the sky like this and dropping expository bombs like it's nothing. :D

Since they presumably have some contact with the outside world. Sadly, like so many small communities in Marvel, they're exceptionally superstitious... Seriously, Comics Kurt nearly got burnt at the stake by fearful townsfolk for being a 'demon'. In the Seventies! :rolleyes:

Well, at least his expectations of his chances are suitably realistic. I mean, I doubt she'll say 'No.' (if she did, I'd be looking for mind control!) but she is a romantic underneath it all, so a nice, fancy proposal...

I doubt they're entirely self-sufficient. There's always bound to be something they can't make themselves. Though a trip to the nearest town might be a trek...

Yes, the Eddings' works are kind of boiler-plate. But they knew tropes weren't bad, and they were able to play with them. The snappy dialogue is also a bonus.

Oh, yes. I expect the Professor helped him work out a suitable alias, given the usual issues empowered Pauls suffer from with their names.

It helps when your family isn't likely to exist in its real-world form here. I assume it's the same story as Earth-16 and so many others.

Well, that's confident.

...Amazed it wasn't already hanging off. His clothing is affected by gravity when he's climbing, after all. Though I doubt he's wearing his iconic costume, like they put him in during his in-show appearances. Which was odd. Presumably so kids would recognise him in toy form. :rolleyes:

That's true. Some mutants not only get hit with the ugly stick, they hit every branch falling out of the tree. And it's nearly always ones with a minor super-power, if any. Apparently the high-grade powers include a comeliness bonus.

Better have a net ready, Lantern. With all these surprises, he might end up letting go.

...Assuming she survives her upcoming encounter with Cable. But then, she does have henchmen to come help her...

Mutant genetics is weird sometimes. Some things breed true, others, not so much.

Eh, fur is a pain to take care of. But not entirely useless. Especially in certain situations. (Sadly, I couldn't find the page where she talks about 'muscles under fur' with her friends...)

After all, it's not like they have a telephone... Especially in the days before cheap cell-phones and near-universal coverage.

...Being chased off a waterfall is certainly a pretty definite 'separation'...

And no, this is long before Azazel was a thing. So this is the actual Baron Christian Wagner. (Fricking Chuck Austen...)

Probably best not to. He'd likely be hostile, and has probably moved on by now.

Honestly, the 'Evil Mutants' thing was always a stupid thing, borne of the era's Comics Code. Later incarnations did often drop the 'Evil'... When they were fighting for mutant rights, not simply criminals or led by madmen.

Humans are surprisingly stupid when it comes to Mutants. Most of the shit they get up to to control, suppress or destroy them is flat-out illegal. Especially when government-backed.

Yeah, he's an asshole. :mad: Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. Getting killed and possibly eaten by his Daddy is getting off light for some of the shit he pulled.

So, two family members contacted. I expect tracking down the third will be a bit more challenging. Still, if Lantern wants to do something nice for his lady, then no force on Earth is going to stop him, is it? I still expect Graydon Jr to turn up at the wedding with some of his Friends in tow, just because. But I'm sure we'll get to see him get his comeuppance later...

The Animated canon came about long before Azazel was a thing. Fortunately.

18. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean...since this seems to be '90's Cartoon Timeline', maybe Azazel isn't a thing?

Pretty sure he was an early 2000s invention.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  19. BrotherofaStudio

Thank you
    Oh, sorry about that.

Thank you, it's just the way you said it didn't make sense to me.

Prince Charon likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

They had the next best thing.
    That's why I like The Redemption of Althalus. It tells David Eddings' one story in a single book rather than three, meaning you don't need to read the other four times he wrote it.
    Frick him right in the face.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"looks"

"follow him"

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well if it was the Azazel version then they'd be somewhere right.

I once read that the name was used because Magneto thought human values were corrupt, so anything they consider evil would be good and hw chose to call his group that to spite humanity.

Marvel humanity are basically the Daniel Day Lewis of the Darwin Award when it comes to a lot of things.

There's nothing quite as romantic as getting married over the beaten and broken body of a racist.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

Other than, maybe, helping him come to terms with his loneliness and insecurity so he can become a better man?

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well it would get rid of the necessity to clean the wedding dress of the blood.

25. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

There IS that weird virus explanation for mutant hatred.

Most of humanity is infected with a sapient virus, but mutants are immune and this leads to the virus exerting negative feelings towards mutants!

26. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

They have power rings for that...

Though, rather than beating him, adding him to the churchbells might be an option...

RamiroGalletti and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

prayers

Possible corrections, pick the one that carries the right nuance:
    "I don't remember if any version of X-Men I watched mentioned his name"
    "I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched mentioning his name"
    "I don't remember any version of X-Men I watched that mentioned his name"

You've been hyphenating this in previous updates.

Ah, going from being the beaten to being the beater.

28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Another possibility, likely in-universe where Magneto isn't contractually required to twirl his mustache every fifteen minutes, is akin to the one some Transformers continuities use for the origin of the term 'Decepticon' - "They applied the term to us, so we made it our own".

After all, the FoH and others no doubt had plenty of soundbites in which they referred to 'those Evil Mutants'...

Sublime.

Which is relevant to the version of Paul in Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

29. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

The solo books about the (very long) lives of Belgarath and Polgara are also quite good. Like the Silmarillion to his main quartet's LotR, but focused on character and what it does to someone to live thousands of years and be the pawn of prophecy.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  30. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

The best thing to do about Kurt's half-brother is tell his daddy that he has been a VERY naughty boy and needs to have a good long "talk" with his father. Also maybe tell Logan about him.

It might be that she figures if Paul is determined enough to track herd own her to ask and not respond to her attempt at killing him with violence? That's close enough to love not to bother asking about. Also, given her long and troubled history? She may well think that love is nice but doesn't mean much if you can't support and protect your spouse.

Xmaster3000, Vorian and Prince Charon like this.