1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, his internal monologue was referring to Britain.
    Karsta wasn't a sargeant. She was a vice admiral. And he's asking her because she's the cloest he's got to an expert on krryptonian psychology.
    He had to take a moment to remember the local time of day.
    It went better than it did in the comics.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And the loathing may come from both her and the Eradicator.

The Eraducator may not be pleased that they allowed their society to be destroyed and the same goes for Kara.

He's a Paul, so he's dense in the mental department.

mastermenthe, Ardy, Bud-E and 2 others like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She attacked him because he's a member of the El family.

Bud-E likes this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I was rereading and noticed that this doesn't link to the story part. The story part is on the following page.

5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found two more links that have the story part on the following page.

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, probably corrected.

8. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Is Renegade Dox the Clarissi as well? I thought Grayven was?

Chojin Patriarch and Bud-E like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

No, he's still Clarissi. It's just that Grayven took the First Lantern rank whereas the regular SI didn't.

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I double checked your correction, and found that you linked these to the wrong story parts, parts 23 and 3 respectively.

11. Mr Zoat

Maybe now?

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  13. Threadmarks: Compass (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    16:46 GMT -5

The adult female berrith looks up at Bear. I can't read her facial expression, but I'd guess… Impressed? He's a good deal bigger than she is. Than her whole species is. If their whole alpha-dominance psychology is hard-wired, there's a pretty good chance that she'll just do what he asks.

"We're looking for someone."

"Who?"

Posture… Ring analysis suggests that she's 'cautious'.

Bear's head twitches, as if he was going to glance at me and then remembered that the glass is one-way. Then he holds up a data pad with a picture of a random beaver-type h'lvenite, dressed in clothing that Ub'x has not worn in any of the publically available recordings I've been able to access.

"This guy."

She regards it for a moment.

"Is that the alien alpha?"

"Ah, who exactly do you mean?"

"With the face on the robot."

"Have you seen him somewhere else?"

"No foo-. No. They don't come here without robots. Are you stronger than them?"

Bear smiles weakly and flexes his arms. "I'm physically stronger than a lot of people, but that doesn't make me better than them."

I wince, shake my head and turn away, heading towards one of the other observation windows.

"…better house."

Vykin is looking a little lost, which is probably why his berrith female is making demands. He's established himself as beneath her in the pecking order, so as far as she's concerned she can just tell him what to do and she can expect him to do it.

"What is wrong with your house?"

Wrong response. Obviously -and I say that as an Orange Lantern- there's nothing wrong with it save that it could be better. That's true of any house that exists, and she's pushing not because she needs something but because she thinks that she can get it.

Were they just training these children to say 'taaru' whenever anything happened, or did they get any practical training as well? Because it doesn't look like it.

"It doesn't have a good enough shower. Or a drying room."

"I can talk to the governor about-."

"Then get the governor and bring him here."

I suppose that it's better that he learn here rather than somewhere urgent. I turn-.

"What's the matter?" Lightray appears to be taking the whole… Thing… Lightly. "She's not asking for much. We can easily build a few new rooms."

"She's not asking because she needs or deserves a bigger house. She's asking because Vykin is displaying weakness. Subservience." I use my ring to review their talks so far and roll my eyes. "She hasn't even said that she knows anything, yet. He didn't use the misleading picture. She just said 'maybe, here's what I expect you to give me for even thinking about it'."

"How do you think they should do it?"

"That-."

"Something that won't drive them insane with berserk rage."

"That wasn't deliberate. I explained the risks ahead of time, and Orion's an adult. Orion and I both knew that what happened was within the realms-."

He flaps his right hand at me. "And none of that matters, because it still happened."

"Your feelings aren't affected by anything as tawdry as facts."

"Yes. Exactly. I'm already going through Orion-withdrawal and you give off strong Orion-vibes."

"Is that a New God thing?"

"Partly." "And partly because you've got the same focus that he does."

I.. frown. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I said 'partly'. You don't have his anger-."

"You mean his..? Focus? Well, yes, my home planet is currently being Anti-Lifed. Given how long it's been going on for a few hours probably doesn't make much difference, but I still want it gone."

"No one likes Anti-Life."

"I'm pretty sure that Darkseid does."

"I wouldn't presume to pretend to understand what Darkseid likes or doesn't like. But I suspect that he finds it… 'Appropriate' or 'useful' rather than 'nice'."

"Anyway, things happen, and I don't accept guilt. Can you do interrogations?"

"Not in situations like this. I can frustrate people until they tell me what I want to know, but that doesn't help when they don't know anything."

"What does Vykin do?"

"Ah. He.. can control magnetic fields."

"You don't sound sure."

"It's because of how our powers work. They require that our natures be in tune with our thoughts. With Anti-Life exposure… With the exposure they had on Apokolips, their abilities aren't… Entirely reliable."

"Will Dreamer be able-?"

He looks pained. "Probably. If she's not hurried, and you don't need precise detail. It's… They're here to try and help with their recovery. To remember how to be themselves."

"You know I only spoke to Dreamer briefly, right? And I've never really spoken to the rest of them."

"Yes, this is my responsibility, while Orion isn't. Why are you asking?"

"Vykin could demonstrate dominance by reshaping some metal. He wouldn't need to threaten her, just show a power that she couldn't comprehend that could be used as a weapon. If he could do it reliably."

"That sort of necessity probably wouldn't help."

"Alright, tell you what: let them finish up their current interviewees and then send the berrith on their way. Then I'll pick an interview subject and they can all watch me."

He looks at me sceptically.

"Obviously, there are good reasons not to just copy everything I do. But they need to know how to question people and I was trained by people far less ruthless than me. If you don't like it, you can always tell them to ignore me."

He nods. "Alright. I'll let them know."

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  14. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

When were they exposed to anti life?

moralrelativity likes this.
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'feelings'.

In the Paragon timeline, due to the fact that Paulphidian was around when the Forever People arrived on Earth, they went after Intergang on their own, resulting in Infinity Man's corruption and the Forever People being captured by the forces of Apokolips.

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

strong -> stronger

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Maybe now?

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hopefully she's not feeling any mating urges. Big Bear is a pretty hairy guy, and the lady might be a little xenophilic... :p Though I doubt it. At the least, his size can probably give him a natural bonus to diplomacy checks.

Since a male berrith would likely be looking for something else while he worked on her. And would likely not take 'no' for an answer...

Intentionally testing them to see if they go 'Wait, that looks nothing like the little purple creature', eh?

...I mean, the Berrith probably respect Lanterns simply for their arrayed power.

I mean, maybe all small furry beings look alike to her. Namely, a tasty lunch.

Ah, testing the waters, seeing if he's dominant or not.

I'm guessing OL doesn't think much of his technique. Too friendly, I suspect.

And goddamn if I'm not already picturing her with The Haircut. Even if they don't have long cranial fur...

And Vykin very much seems the pushover. Still, kid has to learn somewhere.

I bet the latter is very important to a fur-covered species. Don't want to catch a chill from sitting around with wet fur, or loose too much of your coat's attractive glossy sheen. :p

Not quite 'get me your manager!' but it's close.

And then everyone else will want what she got. It'd trigger an endless cycle of oneupmanship amongst the colony. And a lot of noisy fights.

Leave no avenue for haggling. Be dominant. Make sure they know that actually having what you want will be rewarded, and that you have ways to know if they lie.

Really? OL did that once. Just because Orion's your buddy...

It wasn't even OL's fault. Blame the smear formerly known as Draan del Daar.

:rolleyes: Honestly, you're not that close to him, are you? Or is it just that you look better in comparison to him?

Hey, don't mutter under your soul around the near-celestial. How rude.

Ah, OL caught that little God-muttering, eh?

It's been over a month, a few days won't hurt... Much. Although Mannheim did get that little upgrade.

...Boy, that 'Don't speak His name' thing didn't last long. Or is it just the kids that aren't allowed to say it? Or is it okay, because OL said it first?

Ah, that explains your current behaviour.

Magneto-lite, then. Not going to be flipping any magnetic poles anytime soon.

Honestly, I'd extend an invitation to work with the Team, but...

Heh. so this is an attempt to get them back into the heroing life, eh. Despite the fact that they still can't summon Infinity Man...

OL's an inveterate busybody. He can't help but try to fix things. I'm amazed you haven't realised that yet, 'Ray.

Well, he's doing so well thus far. Maybe the change of tack would help. Even if it's as simple as levitating a couple of meditation balls above his hand... Or maybe a fidget spinner, if he's that off his game. :p

Indeed. This has so many ways it could go awry. Also, he has advantages they don't, like being able to see desires...

...Batman is less ruthless than him? :confused: I mean, sure, he has a no-killing rule, but...

Oh, this is going to go well. I have the feeling the Forever Children are going to get quite the education in interrogation techniques. Possibly to the point they shudder in PTSD-induced fear. And possibly decide that OL is possibly almost as evil as Him. Still, whatever it takes for OL to get what he wants, and find a lead on the Indigos.

She regards it for a moment.
    "Yes. Exactly. I'm already going through Orion-withdrawal and you give off strong Orion-vibes."
    Possibly 'got' or 'formed'?
    "I said 'partly'. You don't have his anger-."

19. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

They first came to Earth when Paul and the Ophedian were merged so they ran when they sensed him and got captured by an Apokolyptian and sent to Granny Goodness to be tortured, I think they were saved by one of Darkseid's plants who gives people hope so it can be removed by Darkseid later. It was a while ago though

Celtic Spartan and Prince Charon like this.
  20. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Dreamer wqs saved by Canis and the rest off screen by the Justice League. Perhaps they used the false flag New God (forget her name) but that just means Darkseid let it happen.

Senevri, Ardy, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Batman scares people shit less as part of his interrogations, he very rarely actually hurts people. OL is far more willing to hurt people, because he can heal the damage he does, as well as being willing to kill.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah. I seem to remember a conversation, probably in a previous thread on one of the other forums, where it was generally agreed that the Forever People thought that they were warriors of New Genesis, when really they were just a mobile delivery system for the Infinity Man. I'm not sure if they weren't told that, or were just hyper-arrogant due to facing what they thought were Lowlies, but either way, they screwed themselves in both the show and the Renegade episode by trying to fight and then summoning Infinity Man, instead of summoning Infinity Man out of sight of the bad guys. In both versions that we saw, they only won because of more competent outsiders that they brought with them, so it makes sense that going in with no local help, they'd lose badly and get captured.

Vorian, mastermenthe, Senevri and 6 others like this.
  23. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ The Giver of warm hugs

They got his number

Get the man a good shrubbery.
    Bam. Peace achieved

Or a slinky
    Everyone loves a slinky.
    I had a rainbow coloured one as a kid,

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Karen energy is strong in this one.

Ha. Ha.

So he doesn't like it but just it considered its spreading to be more appropriate.

Maybe not the best attitude to have.

Xmaster3000, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He did drive a very powerful God into a homicidal rage, so Lightray is right to be cautious.

Maybe both.

Plus it's possible that he's not focusing on a random spot in space, so they're safe.

Abd the magnetic powers make sense.

Lightray is a joy deity and has light powers because he's a ray of sunshine, and Vykin is a leader so he has a magnetic personality.

Maybe when they're better emotionally.

They still have other skills.

They haven't known each other for very long.

26. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Godspeech typo, correct form unclear.

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Taaru? Google isn’t helping me, except that it’s the name of a Marvel villain, which I assume is not relevant in this context.

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Unless my copy paste skills have failed me, that's the trigger the Forever People use to summon Infinity Man.

29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Ah right, I thought it was about the berrith children and I couldn’t understand it. I guess I got thrown because I thought the Forever People were too old to be called children.

Ardy likes this.
  30. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

I do like that the dialogue with Lightray implies both Paul's proximity to the New Gods (which seems to be strengthening) and calls back to the plot point about the Paul's possible origins as actually Grayven with the godspeech comparison Lightray makes to Orion.

Prince Charon, DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.