1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alea Iacta Est - a Worm AU Fanfic

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Ack, Jul 11, 2015.

1. slicedtoad

slicedtoad -

huh. nicely written. While I agree with Firedon that it's kind of cheating to use PtV out of nowhere like that, any use of PtV is cheating. And this is the kind of thing that Cauldron would be doing, imo.

AKrYlIcA, Christopher Tate and Ack like this.
  2. Firedon

Firedon Experienced.

It just feels cheap. Might be that I'm tired, but the story was ramping up, they were making plans and KAISER! Okay, now we have some more tension, how will they deal with this? Will it be a long struggle where they have to carefully gather information and allies? Or will they manage a quick beheading of the E88 with a plan somehow? Nope, PtV.

3. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

Who says things have been dealt with? Kasier might be dead, might not be dead. Either way, things will be shaken up, with E88 in turmoil depending on the outcome.

4. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Janet is a new character.

The original plan was for Purity to show up and kill Kaiser herself on top of the roof. But the problem with that was that the Empire guys already on site, on seeing the body, would fairly quickly determine that it was her work. So she'd have to either claim leadership of E88 by combat or go on a murder spree to clean up the inconvenient witnesses. And I can't really see Taylor & co being happy with that much murderising. Also, she's split from the Empire so she would have to deal with Kreig.

5. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

You've got three different thinkers working adjacent to each other (two in concert, one assisting without the knowledge of the previous two), so I'd expect a bit of serendipity.

6. godzillahomer

godzillahomer Know what you're doing yet?

Kaiser, don't you know not to hold a long rod of metal up in a storm?! For someone so smart, he lacks common sense.

7. Muroshi9

Muroshi9 I'm so ronery So ronery So ronery and sadly arone

So E88 just lost Medhall to Theo and the team gains a water/weather controller since she just happens to be on the roof of the apartment building in which a new cape group is forming with a Teamwork Thinker. Plus they are friends/related to two children of a powerful cape who are thus highly likely to trigger at some point and join the team.

Why am I suddenly believing that Andrea is going to end up seducing Kayden and then forming a three way relationship with Danny?

Prince Charon and GladiusLucix like this.
  8. Kerfirou

Kerfirou Cultivating Dantian inside a Star

Theo reaction is pretty funny, though. Yeah Theo, the girl you're checking on? your sister.

I wonder what power Annette can have if she triggered? inorganic material manipulation?

AKrYlIcA and ShadowStepper1300 like this.
  9. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

Hm... She'd be more likely to get a thinker power than anything related to Kaiser, seeing as she's spent no time around him, and it's proximity, not blood, that causes buds.

10. Chojomeka

Chojomeka Sexy and I know it

...oh shit they really need to get Kayden to Amy now!

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Zackarix

Zackarix Hera's Divorce Lawyer

Basically my thoughts on this entire subplot. Kaiser finds out about Andrea and Annette and immediately tries to get them back in the most ham-fisted way possible. Immediately resorting to threats, without even a token attempt at getting together willingly. It's not entirely out of character considering the entitlement issues Max seems to have in this fic, but it is disappointing when I was expecting something more subtle.

12. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

And then Andrea will seduce the twins, and Danny will end up with ALL of Max's former conquests...

13. godzillahomer

godzillahomer Know what you're doing yet?

Fenja: Wow, he's way bigger than Kaiser!
    Menja: Even while flacid...

14. Muroshi9

Muroshi9 I'm so ronery So ronery So ronery and sadly arone

Taylor: I'm not hearing this. TMI.

15. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Please have Purity live... :(

Prince Charon likes this.
  16. Zege

Zege It's Magic, I ain't gotta explain shit.

Well, not ALL of them...

Gonna need a shovel for that particular achievement.

17. Ack

There was a token effort. Remember? He offered her a new place, a better position in the company.

18. Ack

The chapter has been rewritten.

Twilight666 likes this.
  19. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Primary changes in the rewrite:

Janet's appearance and scenes postponed until a later chapter, to maintain tension. She's still present, but the fic is now pretending that she doesn't exist quite yet and it reads in a way that doesn't require her involvement at all.
    Dinah gets Taylor to answer the door instead of Theo, leading to a much more drawn-out argument scene.
    Kaiser is very definitely dead; no more ambiguity there.

20. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Like the re-write better than the original. The lack of Janet's PoV fits the chapter better, as it lets the scene have more significance than just a PtV plot.

21. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Really thought Theo was going to Trigger there.

I could be wrong, but it does seem like a very similar situation to how he Triggered in canon. Replace Max with the PRT and Annette with Aster and it's pretty much identical. The fact that it's the father Theo hates would just add even more stress to the situation, further enhancing his chance to Trigger...

22. Ack

You may be mistaking Security! with canon.

In canon, he triggered when Crusader and Purity abandoned him to be captured by the PRT.

23. Zackarix

It was less an offer, and more Max telling Andrea that she now had a new place and better position. He clearly had no intention of taking no for an answer either way, but he skipped over the part of actually asking.

Ack likes this.
  24. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

If you are surprised by that, you don't understand Max's character. This is exactly how I would have imagined him reacting.

Ack and Lantalia like this.
  25. Zackarix

I specifically said "It's not entirely out of character considering the entitlement issues Max seems to have in this fic," my complaint is that the "token effort" of getting Andrea to come back willingly is written in such a way that even if she had considered Max her true love and had been pining away after him ever since they were separated she would likely still hesitate after the way Max acted. No reasonable person would react well to "We're getting back together after not seeing each other for decades, and of course you agree, so I'm not even going to bother asking first."

26. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Max is kind of arrogant, on top of being excited to have finally found her again, so I don't have too much trouble believing that, I think.

Jamie Lannister would have no problem with this.

On the bright side, he can still check out Taylor.

Alayne, doomlord9 and Ack like this.
  27. Zackarix

Is there anything stopping Theo from continuing to check out Annette? Besides social taboos.

28. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Max: I HAVE THE POWER!!

*KRAKATHOOM*

Max: Owie......
    [​IMG]

He'd have to endure the men from Maine jokes.
    basically new England's take on mimetic hillbilly's

Ack and Prince Charon like this.
  29. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Unless both the Marquis x Iron Rain = Amelia theory and Marquis x Annette (Hebert) = Taylor crackship are both true, of course.

30. Ack

Well, at least he was nice enough to offer her a better place to live, a position as his 'personal assistant' (with concomitant pay raise) and a chance for Annette to go to a better school.

He could have just said, "Hey, I'm back. You're not currently attached, I'm rich as fuck, so why don't we take up where we left off, without my interfering dad to get in the way?"

EDIT: Ironically, if Danny hadn't been there, she might well have taken him up on the offer if he'd made it that way :p