1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Those aren't hats, they're fancy dress. Which isn't bad, it's just less simplistic.

nobodez likes this.
  2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wow, Paul's doing good and Vaermina disapproves, it must be a day that ends in Y.

3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly you might be right that it's not what Kara needs, but I still think it might help, and at least shouldn't make it particularly worse.

And personally, my response would be "suppression is a bad coping mechanism... if you do it poorly." Properly and permanently suppressing things works quite well, though it might make some people see you as a bit cold.

Of course, that's quite hard to do sometimes, especially with something as significant as losing your entire planet. Really makes me annoyed that none of these advanced civilizations have any proper sophotech to use. Where are the Thought-Lathes, Addiction-B-Gone pills, and Trauma-Suppressors? Seriously, a little bit of memory suppression would do wonders here; not like she has to forget Krypton, just make it a little less prominent.

Sitting in a room talking to people is only the best way to handle psychological problems if you have no idea how to treat the source of the problem. Namely, the brain. Resorting to it when you have such advanced technology and knowledge at your disposal is like having all of medical science at your fingertips and deciding to try homeopathy.

Bramble Thorn, Gantradies and Ardy like this.
  4. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, she doesn't have a criminal past, I doubt the SI is even attracted to her.

Jaron, True Ninja, BBJimmy and 3 others like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

She's a Kryptonian, and not just a regular Kryptonian, but a Kryptonian under a yellow sun.

Meaning she has a photographic memory as a standard feature and anything other then her own natural healing or magic is likely to be undone via her own biology acting against it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Neither Melinoë nor Donna have a criminal past, and the SI hit on both of them.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Earth 16 kryptonians are different though (weaker at the very least).

Badass6969 and RichardWhereat like this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Donna sort of does - her birth is due to a titan and therefore potentially “illegal” per the rules of Mount Olympus.

infinityDivided and Ardy like this.
  9. Aeess

Melinoë basically tortured a guy in front of him(in Poseidonis where stuff like that is a crime) and it was a Prince Pavlos of Themyscira who hit on Donna and he had an entire different set of memories .

I was mostly joking, but an more fitting example of a non non-criminal he hit on would be M’gann in Bialya after he lost his memories before he build that giant naked statue of himself.

10. RichardWhereat

Yeah, but she's the goddess of nightmares, and he insulted her. Pretty sure it's legal for her to respond however she wants. And if not, will retroactively be legal the moment Orin has his first nightmare.

Ardy likes this.
  11. Aeess

He didn't insult her, he just told them he was busy and that he is going to talk about it with Sephtian. She basically tortured him for not immidatly doing what they want. Also she is a greek nymph, religious Atlanteans follow the roman gods. Allowing some nymph from a foreign pantheon to torture one of his people would basically goes against Orin's obligation as king and as superhero. I just assume that Onesimus told nobody about it out of fear of Melinoë.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Bramble Thorn likes this.
  12. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Given that she's a Greek Goddess, she let him off about as easy as an Olympian has EVER let someone off.

13. RichardWhereat

She's not middle management of arbys. She's not a member of parliament, or a diplomat. She's a Goddess, Princess of Hades, and he treated her dismissively. That is insulting.

Not to mention suicidally stupid, as he found out.

14. Aeess

It wasn't stupid because he had no idea who he was dealing with, he didn't even believe that gods have blood, he most certainly didn't expect one to be standing next to him. And he didn't treat them that rude for a group of people basically expecting that he drops his duties and immediately does what they want .

Yeah but they usually do that to greek people, its like when Hades was pissed that the angels send stole the soul of the SI from him, I assume that if the SI hadn't pissed of the Greek God of justice the whole thing with the angels would also have been handled better.

Ardy likes this.
  15. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

If you ask me, anyone is better than Jade.
    I mean for real. You have all these amazing potential love interests and SI chooses Jade..
    Granted, he obviously feels attracted to other people, and has even had sex and flirted with some of them. But when it comes to real love or romance, Jade seems like the weakest option. But what do I know?
    We all know OL has superior tastes than the rest of us puny mortals.

16. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, yeah. Given that in the Greek myths, just like every other set of mythology, their country/nation/whatever WAS the center of the world.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  17. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wat.

18. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

The giant spider is the true waifu.

19. RichardWhereat

He gave that one a thorough fisting before Jade ever came along.

20. Threadmarks: Wing and Dagger (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

15th January
    15:49 GMT -6

"A.. duel?" Kara frowns at me as we fly over St Roch in the direction of the rebuilt residence of the Hawks. "Are you sure that asking her to come is a good idea?"

"We need someone to introduce us. And I'm sure there are visa requirements that-."

"I meant… Are you sure that it's a good idea for you to be the one who asks her?"

We land, and I pat her on the back. "Why do you think I invited my meat shield along?"

I head towards the door as she frowns at my back. "I won't be back to full toughness for.. hours."

"It's a joke, Kara." I ring the bell, though I'd be astonished if they didn't already know that I'm here. "And it's months, not hours. You've caused significant organelle die off."

"Oh, I-. Oh."

"You didn't notice.. any difference in your flying?"

"Not.. really. Once I learned to fly well enough that I wasn't a risk to nearby buildings, I… I've tended to walk."

"You don’t get… Stopped in the street? People don't recognise you?"

She shakes her head, her hair briefly falling over her face. "No. Many people on Earth wear the sigil of House El. In a.. way which.. would actually be illegal for aliens on Krypton. I don't think people recognise me as Kara Zor-El. Which…" She brushes her hair out of her face. "Which is not to say that people don't stop me to.. talk to me."

I nod encouragingly. "Making friends, that's good."

"Friends-? No, I mean… I get hit on. Usually, fairly crudely. I had thought maybe that was how humans did things, but I asked around the office and apparently I'm just an 'asshole magnet'."

"Oh. Um, sorry." What single non-arseholes of roughly the right age do I know? Gosh, it's all… Team members, Atlanteans she's almost certainly already met due to working at KordTech… The Sivanas? No. "If you-."

The door opens and Ms Hol stands before us, mace at her hip. Which is progress, I suppose. "Orange Lantern. Kara Zor-El. What brings you here?"

"I'm finally getting around to taking that trip to Thanagar. Hawkman One, Hawkgirl and Silver Scarab are repairing their ship for interstellar travel, I'll be picking up Lantern Dul and Kara let me twist her arm into coming as well. Are you interested in a trip home?"

She regards me carefully for a moment. "Who is Lantern Dul?"

"Orange Lantern Paran Dul. She's doing the same job as you: keeping tabs on dangerous aliens and reporting back to Thanagar. Only she drew the short straw and got assigned to the Reach. I think she's more than due some time back on the homeworld."

"She's thanagarian?"

"Yes. But since she's posted further away, she has even less contact with Thanagar than you do. I doubt that she's up to date on the relevant protocols."

Her arms tense slightly. Irritation with someone not present. "Then why is she going at all rather than doing her duty?"

"Because everyone they sent with her died and she's been on her own for years." There's a slight change in her posture. Thanagarians expect a lot from their long term operatives, but they're not supposed to be stationed somewhere without any friendly contact. Especially the ones on long distance postings. "And because the Orange Lantern Corps didn't exist when she was dispatched and she needs new orders."

A nod. The gesture still doesn't appear to come completely naturally to her, but she has been on Earth for eight years. Unlike Lantern Dul or the members of the Blades of Alstair, she knows human body language.

"Do you want me to write you an introduction?"

"Lantern Dul has mentioned to me that the government of Thanagar is concerned about magic. As a result of your time on Earth you are your species' leading… Government-loyal expert on the issue. I strongly suspect that your superiors would appreciate having you on hand to consult when I offer them my aid."

"Do you know why the Thanagarian government has an interest in magic?"

"A combination of your report on the human use of it, your historical contact with the Seven Devils and your conflict with Queen Hyathis."

She stares at me for a moment. "You hired an Alstairian mercenary company."

"No, Tamaran hired an Alstairian mercenary company. And they would still have hired them if they'd been High Council-affiliated rather than Hyathis-loyalists."

A slight tremor in her wings as I refer to followers of Queen Hyathis as being the loyal ones.

"We received word that Hyathis is undertaking a major shipbuilding effort."

"There's a four-way war going on in her home system. It would be more strange if she wasn't building ships."

"These are a new design, different to anything she's built before. And we know full well that you visited Alstair shortly before she started. What are you playing at, Orange Lantern?"

Huh. I suppose the people of J would share the Dominion computer specifications with their new trade partner, wouldn't they? And with that… All sorts of design opportunities open up. And it might let them bridge the gap between the technology of her thanagarian subjects and the platforms she commands.

"I needed Green Lantern Medphyll's help, and thought that improving his planet's technology was a good way to warm him up to the idea. Since I was doing a post run for the Blades anyway, I raised the idea of an information exchange with Queen Hyathis. She approved it and sent a guy."

"We think she's planning a new attack on the Thanagarian Empire with the information you helped her get. If she does, millions of thanagarians will die."

"Because… The Thanagarian Empire totally wouldn't invade Alstair if it thought that it could?" I shrug. "And can't come to peaceful terms due to… What was the reason again?"

"Self-determination."

"Yeah, I do know how much self-determination alien residents of the Thanagarian Empire get. Especially when compared to the alien residents of Alstair." She doesn't really react. "I'm not Thanagarian. I have no obligation to your government. Out of my desire to improve technology and make sure that your government doesn't do something stupid while fixing its ignorance problem, I've offered my assistance with this matter. You don't have to accept… But you probably should."

More deliberate staring. "Earth to Thanagar is a four week journey each way at my ship's best speed."

"Unless you're being towed by a sufficiently capable Lantern. In which case it's.. maybe half an hour. Come on, you can try pumping Ms Parker for information on her ship's primary drive specifications again."

"Maybe I just don't want to spend time around you."

"Reasonable enough, but ask yourself this." I lean forward, smiling. "Do you really want me to be on Thanagar unsupervised?"

Her face goes a little blank, then she leans back into her house.

"KATAR! WE'RE VISITING HOME!"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  21. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

Well he certainly knows which button to push.

Amusing how it went from just her, to her and Katar, but of course she realizes that OL doesn't need to sleep and they'll need to watch him in shifts.

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Excellent manipulation tactics Paul, ten out of ten.

23. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Ah, he's a people person. He really is.

24. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

HA! Oh yeah, there we go.

25. Zeushobbit

Zeushobbit I use my mind and yours doesn't matter.

Seems like a suitable reaction on the part of Hawkwoman here.

Leaving Paul unsupervised is a bad idea.

26. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

He can see emotions and can scan what their brains are doing at that exact moment. Of course he knows what buttons to push.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Kara had no idea what she was doing to herself? Should Paul inform Batman at least of the effects of all Kryptonite variants so this doesn't happen again? I am especially curious about how he would take the effect of Black Kryptonite, or how Paul could explain him knowing its effects.

28. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

I have a feeling Paul is going to be arrested or detained for that one time he made Nth metal while high on Ophidian.

29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I feel like Oh El has been switched over by certain Startrek DataSI. This is good.

Of course that would mean Oh El would be actually competent with woman and would have got Catwoman and Batman together but eh...

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, not such a smart idea now, was it, Kara?

Seriously, OL? Matchmaking? Or is this part of your therapy plan?

Unnecessary plural here.

...Okay, that's fair. These things tend to happen in his wake. ;)

"...Oops?"

I love how that's a viable threat these days.

Oh, this has potential to be such a trainwreck. What's the over/under on Thanagar getting some regime change by the time OL leaves? :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019