1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

I recognize the reference, but cannot remember the name of the show. Was it the one with the Holograms being backup singers for the main character?

nobodez likes this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The show was named Jem. The basic story: Jerrica Benton learns her late scientist father made a supercomputer AI named Synergy which controls a holographic projection technology. She uses it to become a pop-star, battling punky rivals the Misfits and doing good magical-girl-style with her adopted sisters as her back-up band, the Holograms.
    Bizarrely, there's no thought given to the possible applications of the hologram tech outside of performing, despite the whole miniturised projection aspect of it, Like, say, military camouflage or even weapons, as apparently the lasers involved can be powered up to lethal levels...

3. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I know a lot of other folks have already explained a lot about this thing, but apparently in order for it to come out the wieder has to desire the destruction of its target, which is (or at least used to be) a bit difficult for Paul, since he really likes alien- and/or schizotech and magic and stuff, and most of his enemies have either used those things against him, or have been so knowledgeable in these fields that killing them would’ve represented a serious waste.

I think it’s also kinda overkill in a lot of situations? Most of the time his usual weaponry (cold beams, etc.) are more surgical and energy-conservative, and most threats that require heavier firepower respond similarly well to something like a singularity projector or whatever.

At least that’s my impression, anyway.

infinityDivided and Vorian like this.
  4. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Where did this come from, anyway? I remember it being used recently (last episode?), but not before that. I guess it is the new flavor of the month [previously: Shock Crowns, Crumblers, Rail Guns, Special Rail Gun Rounds (including crumbler, spell eater, angel feather), Praxis Horde]

But where and when did he first encounter and steal the destruction pulse, and why is has he switched to using it now when he had been using the rail gun as his default general purpose weaponry?

Here was the first I'd heard of it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    SpiritualSlacker likes this.
  5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

More proof that he didn’t come back form Boss Smiley the same.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, parts 18, 19, & 20 of Z-E-R-O on your TOC don't link to their chapters and instead link to the page after the chapters.

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  7. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Pop Tarts in the US.

[​IMG]

Pop Tarts in the UK.

[​IMG]

Hungery for more?

8. Threadmarks: Wing and Dagger (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

22nd January
    03:32 GMT

The universe slows.

The blast of scintillating orange energy flies from my rings at narrowly subsonic speeds. I feel the slight drain as whatever passive enchantments the Seven Devil cultists put on this place try to oppose my avarice, but either they've faded with age or they weren't strong enough to begin with. Plus, I've got three rings now so I definitely don't have to conserve power. High energy use is the name of the game.

I know that my energy pulses are narrowly subsonic. At this distance the impact will be basically instant but it feels like I've got minutes. Ring, transmit a message to the carrier. Send an image of this thing and ask Ms Parker what it is that I'm fighting.

Compliance.

Two clawed hands. The beak is potentially dangerous, but otherwise it's a giant humanoid in an enclosed space trying to fight a highly manoeuvrable target. On the face of it, the danger posed is minimal, but unless I know its full exotic threat potential I can't do a proper analysis.

Let's see what the destructive pulse does. End acceleration.

The creature's eyes leap to the orange glowing blur and I see its irises contract. With no time for it to dodge the pulse hits it in the upper chest, the manifestation of my desire to erase this thing bursting through its flesh. As the light fades I can see the dull grey of its Nth metal-reinforced ribs, blood beginning to flow from the exposed muscle tissue.

"Kyaaaaah!"

I fire another volley of pulses aimed at its face from the ring on my right hand while using the left to generate a pneumatic separator construct in the fist holding the thanagarian soldier using a fat stream of orange light to anchor it to me. I'd feel a bit stupid if I used a filament and the creature was able to destroy it because I hadn't considered that flaw. The pulses scour the Nth metal reinforced keratin of its beak-.

I see the space around its body distort, and my pulses are redirected into the walls of the temple. I accelerate and switch my attacking ring to generating a construct blade while adding a clamp to the wrist of the hand I'm trying to force open. No sign of the chest regenerating, which is nice. My sword construct.. struggles to make an impression on its-.

Construct lost.

The distortion grows and it's right in front of me, its free claw already swinging my way! I surge forward, its claw narrowing missing my helmet as I fly through its legs. Just about kept my separator construct in place, but the clamp is gone and-

Connection lost.

-so is the sword. Apply more force-

The creature leaps towards the ceiling, its free arm once more flashing towards me! I fly back, narrowly dodging as it stabs its talons into the rock floor-.

I'm still accelerated. It's not keeping up with me, but it's coming close. I dodge again as it swipes, rising up-.

"Hrah!"

The thanagarian soldier finally has enough wiggle room to move, but rather than escape she changes position and shoves her sword under one of the giant birdman's talons! It instinctively jerks its hand away and she flies for the borehole. I abandon my other constructs to generate armour around her, getting it in position just in time to block its backhand swing. Not a strike-

It appears immediately in front of me again, and I'm not quite fast enough -ugh- to dodge. My kinetic barrier flares and fails as the Nth metal in the talons causes a feedback loop into its internal systems, but my environmental shield and power armour take it reasonably well.

-and it didn't crush her when it first took her. It's intentionally trying to avoid killing her. Why?

She takes a position by the borehole and hunkers down as two more marines fly down, particle beams at the ready. Given the effectiveness of their personal protective equipment and the level of force the monster is generating, they'll die unless I hold its attention.

It no longer has a hostage. I can work with this.

It swings and I evade, generating a large crumbler gauntlet construct as its claws swipe past me and slapping it into its arm. There's a release of energy as the flesh under the crumbler flies apart! The energy explodes outward and I generate construct armour to hold it off as the creature staggers, particle beams from the soldiers striking its skin to no apparent effect. The creature blurs out of the way and then smashes my-

Connection lost.

-construct from behind, destroying it. And then it-.

Warning. Gravitic-.

Stabiliser!

Space… Bubbles, the sudden gravity shear created by the creature battering against my constructs. Shots from the soldiers fly around.. more or less at random, flowing around a dozen tiny gravity wells before expending themselves against the walls.

"Stop-"

The universe darkens as the gravity distortions focus on me.

"-shooting-."

Warning-.

Yes, yes, more gravity-

Faintly, I hear my armour groan. And my rings kindly let me know that it's doing all sorts of unpleasant things to the tissues of my body.

-stabilisers. More power. Reshape the universe according to my desires!

And the groaning stops as the area is filled with orange light. Space.. unbends, and the thanagarian soldiers who had completely ignored my request to stop shooting actually start hitting again. Though either they've turned up the dial or the gravity shift thing requires all of the creature's concentration, because they're actually leaving a mark now.

Hah! The Huntsman managed more powerful gravity effects than this, and he was an expendable scout creature! Earth-crazy rules! Suck it, rest of the universe!

Incoming transmission from Ms Parker.

Okay, body and armour fixed, gravity… Bit of a wobble but basically normal. The creature is mostly just cringing back.

Answer.

"The creature you're fighting is called a Blessed One. It's what happens when a warrior devoted to Thasaro survives unaltered for fourteen years and then volunteers to be changed."

"Intelligent?"

"They can follow commands. I don’t know how clever they are."

"Weaknesses?"

"If only. We killed them with lasers and nuclear weapons. I'm honestly surprised that there are any left."

"Could it be new?"

"Yes, but why would it be down here?"

"Pass." External. "Either use heavy ordnance or go and get some!"

Warning: spell eater temperature increasing.

And I feel… Something strange. Ring scans indicate minor alterations to my body, which they're immediately correcting. Trying to turn me into a Man-Hawk?

I shake my head. No, Thasaro. The Ophidian has a prior claim.

"This is my cause, this is my fight.
    Shine through the void with orange light."

Orange light burns around my hands.

"I've claimed all within my sight.
    To keep what is mine, that is my right."

A solid beam of destructive energy tears the Blessed One apart.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. Mr Zoat

Weird. Thank you, fixed.

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Giant Man-Hawk vs Giant Snake fight? Maybe it didn't try to kill that thanagarian because Thasaro wants to turn as many of them as possible into Man-Hawks? Also, love the fact that Paul keeps mentioning that for whatever crazy thing aliens try, humans have done crazier.

11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Sarcastic and referencing. ;)

You got it!

12. Zeushobbit

Zeushobbit I use my mind and yours doesn't matter.

Inside the Orange Power Battery a giant orange snake just hissed in smug satisfaction.

13. Chojin Patriarch

So he still has Drakul Karfang's ring on him. Nice bonus charge, even if the stat bonus is worthless.

Not 'destruction pulse'? Then again, it is certainly destructive...

Boy, that sentence is long and unwieldy... But entirely suitable for the stream of consciousness style.

Great, near-super-speed.

Tanking time!

Space… Bubbles, the sudden gravity shear created by the creature...

Ah, the Orange Adept advanced skills coming into play. Best part of the Class at this level.

Yes, yes, Earth is Bullshit.

"The creature you're fighting is called a Blessed One.

Yes, my Agent. MINE!

And anytime OL drops the Oath in a battle, things get AWESOME.

Hopefully, that's enough to kill it...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

A bit of a contradiction here.

I few episodes ago Paul did not want to show the Thangarians his crumbler tech.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ambient magic gathering tattoo's + ambient shape-changing magic = the audience once more face-palming at Paul.

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Not for a fight with low-level thugs, but this is a different matter.

17. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes, DC's Earth is more weapons depot/ insane asylum than a death planet, but it still works for a good old HFY moment.

This is a good mile marker moment for OL, contrasting nicely with his early level complaints about being stuck learning on Earth-Crazy mode.

18. Chojin Patriarch

He re-accelerated the paragraph after it screams, when he shoots it in the beak.

You don't waste strong attacks on grey mobs. This is a purple Boss, though. The kind you drop once-per-day moves on.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He started again at 'I surge forward'.
    He'd have preferred not to, but giant monster takes precedence. Also, that was a construct.

20. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, Snake-chan has already claimed Paul's body and soul!

Alexandercctv, Ardy, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  21. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Possibly, but the situation in hell was basically "This is 100x faster than it should be unless they know exactly how my tattoos w- oh shit they have Constantine's evil twin". I doubt that that'll become a issue again unless he goes somewhere with really potent or infectious magic. It's a slow collector, not a Dyson for magic.

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

More power. Reshape the universe according to my desires!
    Shouldn’t this be colored orange?

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thanks. Sorry I missed that.

Good point. I can see why that's different from the crumbler rounds on his railgun.

Prince Charon likes this.
  24. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

So is that just dramatics or is his enlightenment finally kicking in with some higher level metaphysical bullshit?

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

a little of A, little of B?

keep in mind, THIS time his Rings Caught it, and the Later is actively reverting the changes faster then they take without needing manual intervention- id call it a concerning capability for the OPFOR, but not facepalm-worthy for OL- he has automated countermeasures set up AND a warning programmed- sounds like due diligence against the previous threat to me!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  26. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

i always enjoy it when the Ophidian shows up.

maybe when OL takes Hinnon back to Maltus, we could get an update on how that bargain that Paul made with the Ophidian is going... does she like having all of those Lanterns, and all of that progress, and all of that purpose? i'm missing our Patron Entity of Avarice.

anyway, since i don't post that often, keep it up Mr Zoat. pleasurable reading as always.

27. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Nope, Orange Enlightenment means that everything he does is tinted orange, so Zoat doesn't use orange text for it.

infinityDivided likes this.
  28. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

First I've heard of it too.

At first I was interested cause I wondered what would cause Superman to grow up evil? And it is Superman basically. They can call the kid Brandon Breyer instead of Clark Kent all they want.

After watching the trailers for Brightburn though I'm going to give it a pass. From the looks of it, it's implied Brandon is autistic, gets bullied in school because of it, and decides to go Columbine on everyone.

I'd watch it if it was like the government gets his parents killed when they try to take custody of him or something. But no, it's basically "Superman, but we replaced Clark Kent with the kid from The Omen."

EDIT: Apparently the kids name is Brandon, not Kyle. Sorry.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  29. SIDoragon

SIDoragon Dragon of Story and Song

Stealing this from Ghostbusters
    Blessed One - Take me now, sub creature
    Paul - We never talk anymore-waaaaaaa *Blessed One grapples the Orange Lantern and throws them on the ground*
    Paul - Easy, easy, easy, I gotta rule. 'Never get involved with possessed people.'
    Blessed One kisses Paul
    Paul - Really its more of a guildline than a rule...

Navi-Hank likes this.
  30. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

Surprised that OL didn't decide to try the Sword of Second and Third.