1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. gatewaewanderer

gatewaewanderer Wandering Fool & Intermediate Lurker

Rhostadt - I happen to like the story fine as it is, for whatever that's worth. Different strokes, different folks, methinks. Different writers, professional or not, write in different ways, and not every reader prefers to read every writer out there. I hate trying to read stories by Dean Koontz, for example, and gave up after first two or of stories that I tried. As WizardTwo said, pretty much, this fanfic and it's parent / source material/ inspiration /whatever share a lot of similarities, beyond this being a fanfic of Worm, diverging during the Slaughterhouse Nine Arc. If you dislike it because of where its going, or seems to be going (that oft-said saying about assumptions comes to mind... ) than this is probably where said people starting to dislike it should take a break from it, and come back to it later and see if the problems they had are still there. From the hints TanaNari has been giving out, I'm beginning to get a hunch about where the story is going, I wanna see how it rides out, see if right or way off-base. Should be fun either way.

If you don't what I mean by that last line, TanaNari posted a small spoiler where he more or less stated outright that Eidolon would not be revealed as the Endmaker within his lifetime. 3 possibilities come to my mind. 1: This is an AU, Eidolon is not the Endmaker, someone else is. 2. Eidolon is the Endbringer, he will die sometime through the course of the story, and his role as Endbmaker will be revealed posthumously, possibly becoming just another dirty secret kept by Cauldron and / or Pantheon. 3. We're going to see a full or nearly full roster Endbringers before the story is over. I personally consider that third possibility to be the most likely, I'm pretty sure there's been hints throughout the story, the Author's notes, and comments by the author in between chapters to this effect, that this one of the things he hoped to explore while writing the fic. And power combinations, likely. Of course wrong about any or all of this, quite easily.

Heck to be honest, aside from wanting to see where things end up, I like reading Amelia more for the character interactions and shenanigans and power interactions than anything else. Also seeing interested in seeing how Avalon will come into being as a country and world. So at this pooint, good story is just gravy for me. And yes, I do think there's a lot of good gravy here. And I don't even like gravy. Hmm. Bad analogy. It's all chocolate. Yeah, can never have enough chocolate.

2. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

I think I get what Inverness , WizardTwo and Rhostadt are getting at.

In canon, Taylor fought street level crime; a big nasty in the shape of Lung, then foes that she could more easily face, but scaling up all the time. Then came Leviathan, which was another enemy she couldn't really go toe to toe with. She gets out of that, and faces the Nine, Echidna, other enemies, ones she could plan for, and work against, but still ones she could make a dent against. It's a hard slog, but she's dealing.

Then she decides that the PRT is being too much of a bother, gives herself up, kills Tagg and Alexandria (proving how much she's improved) and then starts being a superhero.

Then she faces Behemoth (another foe she can't go toe to toe with), then the timeskip, then other Endbringers, then the S9K happens; enemies she can plan for, sometimes face off against herself, but they can defeat. Culminating, of course, with Jack pulling Scion's chain, and Gold Morning.

Now, this battle is different. She can't go toe to toe against Scion, until she can (via ALL THE CAPES!). She fights him, she beats him, she wins. Sort of.

But the whole story is an upward progression. Big bad, lots of little foes, bigger bad, smaller foes that force her to escalate some more, really big bad .... you see what I mean?

In canon, the foes they had to pull out all the guns against were separated by ones they had to work to beat, but were actually beatable.

In this story, it's starting to feel like there's nothing but Endbringers to face anymore. Nothing that is just a simple match for them, but things that laugh at their every preparation.

In a roleplaying game at this point, the players would be asking for "some level-appropriate foes, please".

3. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Thank you, Rhostadt (fake edit: and Ack), for presenting my basic argument much better than I could. My ability to identify a problem has little to do with my ability to perfectly diagnose it, and it definitely doesn't mean I have any idea about how to fix it.

That would work best if it was presented something like this:

Anything afterwards would just drag the story down.

4. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Wiz seems to be a bit off to the side of the point. But the rest are specifically complaining about things I specifically put into the story intentionally. They may not *like* what I'm doing, but I've explained to them, repeatedly, than I'm doing it on purpose. So their complaints are just that, complaints.

I covered that in the first 150 or so chapters. :p

I'll grant you, I enjoyed that part of the story immensely. I miss it, even. But it's no longer realistic for the setting and how the story has evolved.

Well, yeah, that's because there really isn't. That, too, is part of the point.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

What works in a story, and what works in an RPG are nowhere near the same thing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Life is (not) a game...there is (never) a fair chance of winning,if you know what your doing.The Endbringer's are punishing Pantheon for not playing by their rules.they attacked Brockton Bay to show them they have no power to protect their home,Franch is a political attack...about Avalon,the message about it has more layers then a onion.

TanaNari likes this.
  6. VaporDeagle

VaporDeagle A

To be honest, at this point of the story, I'm more interested in the social impact of Pantheon than well...more Endbringers.

That, and more underage threesome, symbiosis lesbians, undead possibly futanari trollnado, actual normal lesbians, super immortal pedo interaction and Zach.

Definitely more Zach.

7. dasstan

dasstan :)

... *slow claps*

Talk about your laconic descriptions.

8. Ack

And the reference I was looking for, thanks :D

9. Godwinson

Godwinson Making the rounds.

You know TanaNari, you seem bound and determined to write an unenjoyable story, and yet you keep failing.

Please fail harder.

10. Jurily

Jurily Getting out there.

This guy could've been so much more horrifying if there actually *was* a way to save the zombies. Raw bodycount doesn't mean much after things like Kyushu and New Delhi, but to find out you've just murdered a whole city *only* because you couldn't contain them with nonlethal measures?

Also, I'm sad there won't be a canon!Khepri!Riley dance-off with Scion.

jaelin910, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  11. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

They'd have to expand a fair distance to get that, at which point they're possibly capable of dealing with them. that's one of the things the entities try to keep from happening.

Pretty sure that's not the case. Their individual shards might, sure. But if they themselves outnumber the stars in the sky then when they all set out in the first place every single star would have been visited already by now.

12. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 316- Calvert
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 316- Calvert

"Commander James," I opened, giving the woman a cursory examination. She was one of the best, and driven to eliminate the 'one of' part. My second in command ever since Miss Militia left. She lacked her predacessor's empathy and ability to improvise, which held her back. In many ways, she reminded me of Emily. Pity, that, it meant she was a good commander, but a poor leader at best. She'd likely be promoted to Director status in five years or less. I resolved to treat her well during that time, and see to it that I learned her well enough to properly harness her once she got her promotion.

"Yes, Director?" She responded, training her focus on me.

"We're being called into action," I informed her. "All of my team, as well as every other soldier authorized to use the SM7 models. It seems the new Endbringer is a 'master' class power set."

"Like the Simurgh?"

"Closer to Nilbog," I answered. She tensed. She had performed less than admirably during that engagement, taking considerable damage to her equipment almost immediately. It wasn't, strictly speaking, her fault. It could have been any set of armor, it could have been any member of the team. Except myself, of course. Poor luck and being a half second too slow on the response were her only faults, and I wasn't certain of the latter. But she had a chip on her shoulder even before then, and I was not adverse to using it. "There will be a series of larger monsters, which we are leaving to the parahumans and Pantheon's weapons. We will contend with humanoid monsters, numbering in the hundreds of thousands."

"I understand," she responded, her jaw set hard. I split the timeline

"There's a teleporter collecting men and matériel from across the country," I informed her next. "We have five minutes to be at the ready. Prepare the men while I attend to some last minute concerns."

"Yes, sir."

//

"You'll be in command of my team, I'll handle organizing the other teams, get yourself equipped," I instructed.

"Yes, sir."

This was the timeline for me to keep, of course, but I needed the chance to study the resources I had at my disposal. Many of the team leaders I would be working with, I'd only met a few times. Operating the EB versions of the M7s was rare, requiring authorization from the President herself, which left me precious little time to develop a more personal relationship with those men and women who'd be leading these teams. I would reacquaint myself with my prior notes and Minerva's psych evals on each of them while speaking to them via this timeline.

This is the first time I've ever actually seen Avalon, I realized. I stepped out of their mass 'shunt' device, fighting my nausea. I was proud to note that, while a couple soldiers lost their stomachs, none of them were part of my team. The blue green ground removed the physical signs of their weakness quickly, in an act slightly reminiscent of Nilbog's 'recycling' of matter. The place was uniform, orderly. A few small homes existed nearby, within visual range on the mostly flat fields.

"Okay, this is going to take a minute," Janus informed us. One of the few Pantheon members old enough to legally buy alcohol. That mere children ruled their own world was abs-olutely no surprise, given their powers and ambitions. At least they were smart enough to defer to more experienced individuals like Dragon and Accord when it came to management of their nation. "Please take the time to organize yourselves."

I gave the orders I needed, separating my men into squad control of the other teams. I knew them and trusted them to do the job correctly. James was given primary command of my newer men, the ones not yet trained well enough to be leaders in their own right. Those I trusted best were put in as seconds for the various other squad leaders across the country. In the two minutes it took Janus and his Thanda friend to prepare, a thousand men had been organized and assigned a M7EB of one description or another. They were eager to go, to prove themselves.

It's easy to be brave when you know you can't be touched. Isn't that what that Atropos girl had said during her interview? I couldn't help but wonder how these men and women would hold up if they had to go into this fight with their lives actually on the line.

"We're ready," Janus announced.

"As are we," I confirmed. He took that as enough of a command, and the world shifted around us. Instead of an empty field surrounded by a few hovels made of plant, we were now surrounded by Dragon armors and a number of parahumans. I spotted the makeshift hospital to the side, full of gravely injured capes. Each one missing at least one limb. I recognized Chevalier amongst the wounded. Gaea and a handful of others were moving through, caring for them.

What kind of weapon was this Endbringer using?

"It has capabilities to infect and control organic tissue," Minerva informed, answering the question before I had the chance to ask it. That imper-impatient, given the circumstances of the battle and our need to hurry it, it was a necessary shortcut. "The special M7 models should be immune, in much the same way Avalon's disposable troops are proving immune. Don't let that fool you, however. These things hit hard, they can destroy your equipment the old fashioned way."

"Understood," I nodded.

"We have two planned tactics at the moment," she continued. She wants me to use my power. It should be m- she knows what she's doing. I divided the path. It would be a while before that mattered, but there was no sense in not starting early. I could always collapse one of them later. "The first would be to deploy your men as cleanup. We know there won't be any new Endspawn in this fight."

"How can you know that?" Dragon asked via a nearby armored suit.

"Look at the number that we've counted thus far," Minerva responded.

"Six hundred and si- oh, I see what you mean," Dragon agreed.

"The problem is now there are no less than four hundred thousand infected in the city, possibly twice that, and we're running out of the resources needed to fight them," she continued. "Most of us are exhausted. This has been the longest Endbringer battle save for Khonsu, and it is starting to show. One option is to deploy your soldiers into the battlefield to run cleanup operations. Going door to door and killing everything."

Given this is on a city wide scale it could take hours, even days, to accomplish.

"The second," she continued. "Is to have your men reinforce the barriers, and deploy our last resort weapon. There's some significant risk to the plan."

<There is no risk,> a dark skinned woman in tattered clothes responded. <My shadow can handle this easily. They will all die with trivial ease, you shall see.>

"Yes, Moord Nag, I know," Minerva nodded. "But once we assault their strong points, we risk them making a coordinated break for it. All of them together. They've gotten smart enough to start coordinating. Using weapons. And their mutations are getting stronger as well."

<It does not matter,> Moord Nag spoke. <Let them hide, let them flee, let them fight. They will die all the same.>

Minerva rubbed her eyes. She's wea-ry. This has been a long battle, no one can be expected to remain at their best. I glanced over at the others. These are mere children. Children with power, granted, but children. How did I ever believe that commanding kids as they tried to play cops and robbers was a good idea? No, it was so much better now, commanding armies of grown men and women. <It's not her failing I fear, it's what she might do after she succeeds,> Tattletale spoke in... Finnish? This translation tech is remarkably thorough.

"We'll take the lead," I agreed.

<Glory obsessed fool,> Moord Nag accused. I ignored her.

//

"Let's see if she's as good as she believes she is," I suggested. "We'll reinforce the perimeter and deal with stragglers."

<At least, a voice of reason,> Moord Nag nodded. <Hurry your men.> She turned toward Lisa and held out a hand. <Give.> she commanded as a black shadow roiled around her, forming from nowhere. It wore the skull of some sort of large fish or shark.

I frowned. Damn it. The infected were deceptively dangerous. Faster than the suits, able to hide from their senses, and fighting with ambush tactics. No wonder Avalon's shock troops were so effective.

"They're in the sewers!" one of my men shouted. I watched his suit blip black. We're losing this.

"Perimeter breached, Z14," Dragon announced. "Perimeter breached, R9. Infected located in Versailles."

I looked over at Minerva. She wanted to know how bad the other timeline was, if we'd be forced to keep this one. She didn't need to ask, she could see it on my face.

//

We had a different sort of problem in this line. Moord Nag stood in the middle of the city, a city coated in black death. Her shadow, fattened on power from the literal hundreds of thousands that she had slain, roiled across the streets. It hammered the wall hard enough to topped a section in one blow, then it sprayed out into the area just outside Paris. Thousands more lives were claimed in seconds.

"Perimeter breached M21," Dragon's tech announced. "Moord Nag's shadow is spreading rapidly toward Créteil."

================

A/N- Ah, when situations are desperate enough to feed half a million people to Moord Nag. Five thousand was enough for her to approach Alexandria's strength. What's a hundred times that worth?

Also: I've been wanting to do a good Coil interlude for a while, now. Sorry it took so long to find a good opportunity to make it happen.

13. Jurily

Jurily Getting out there.

So it looks like they got 1,5M people out of the city (which is impressive), but probably not the urban area.

I'm looking forward to a PHO thread asking Pantheon to stop halping.

14. Daunmi

Oops?

Thanks Calvert. You've actually made things better!

15. GladiusLucix

GladiusLucix Versed in the lewd.

TanaNari
    I think part of the problem is the pacing. This fight started in chapter 312, and I'm going to guess has another chapter or two before the story's back to "not an Endbringer fight." The Leviathan fight started in 294, and went until 296. The Wendigo fight started in 268 and ended in 273. Tohu and Bohu makes thing weird, but probably fits as 250 to 252.

So, starting from there, that's 3 chapters of Endbringer fight, then 16 chapters of other stuff. 6 chapters of Endbringer fight, 20 chapters of other stuff. 3 chapters of fight, 15 chapters of other stuff, and now about 5 or 6 chapters of fight. Even though Earth Bet is now, probably, signed up for the Endbringer of the Month club, the fights last about twelve hours. The Endbringer fights seem to take up a disproportionate amount of chapter real estate for the amount of time they actually take.

I'm fairly sure you'll say that it's because that the Endbringers are the only threat they face, other than Scion, but it's not the only problem they face. Missy's after school special got a paragraph or two of foreshadowing, and then about two and a half to three chapters. Taylia adopting off Lily got a chapter for the negotiation and a chapter for the fallout. The mass trigger test got the chapter about it, and then a chapter of Lisa and Alexandria drafting the results. The rest of the space between Leviathan and this new one was just looking in to say, "Yup, that portion of the cast is still there, doing their thing."

Does the entire month beyond the Endbringer fight consist of boring paperwork, convoluted Empress stuff, searching for new things to do during the Endbringer fight, and some random drama thrown in so the fic doesn't become "Check out my cool new Endbringers"?

It just seems that, looking back, there have been piles of new plot threads started since the Butcher arc, and none really tied off. Even the Bond breaking in that arc was more tossed in the corner and ignored instead of actually dealt with.

I realize this diverged rather far from where I started, and is rather scatter shot in pointing out the issues that I see, but I hope that there's actually something useful you can take out of this mess of a post.

16. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Which honestly felt to me like I was dragging it out. That resolved itself, in as much as it can. Lesson learned. What more is there for me to write on the subject? Plot point tied up in a neat little bow. Immediate fallout dealt with as much as it can be. Long term fallout? Well, that takes more than a few weeks to resolve, don't you think?

I mean, they ARE still kids who think a chaste little peck on the lips is a "real kiss".

... Well, Theo knows better, but he also knows how suicidally stupid it would be to actually say anything on the subject.

Well, that one's still in its not quite resolved phase- this kind of politicking can take *years* to properly resolve itself. There's not that much left to say about it in the short term.

A Lily gets a parade in Japan chapter can/will be done. But there's nothing plot relevant to really put in it that can't just be covered offscreen with a total of two sentences to equal effect, so it'd be a pure filler chapter. Not that I'm opposed to those, it's fun expanding the world a bit more. But if a chapter can be skipped without missing anything of value. It's not a good chapter.

What more would you have me write? It happens. Everyone goes home to do their thing. There's nothing left to explore here. A bunch more chapters of the new parahumans? Who haven't actually done anything or been recruited yet?

I mean, yes, it's a chapter meant to set a stage. But again, these things take *time*.

More or less. Things are as stable as they're going to get. Relationships are evolving, characters are growing up and/or breaking down. But unless I want to inject utterly pointless story arcs that achieve nothing (and earn my utter contempt when done), the story's more or less reached the point of equilibrium, short term. Lots of big plans that take time but aren't interesting to discuss until things start happening. That's where they're at.

Yeah, mostly. Paperwork. Urban(ish) planning. Zoning laws. Negotiations with various nations to see about local portals. Boring, boring shit. Again, they've reached an equilibrium.

You mean the one that one of the characters died to forget happened and no one else has the heart to tell her (copy) about? That one?

... Honestly, at this point Taylor would probably shrug it off if she found out, she's had several months of relative happiness after the fact, after all. But Amelia's happy, Taylor's happy, and Lisa's backed off because she fucked up horribly when she tried to meddle. It is resolved. Perhaps not pretty. But resolved.

Eh, I'm fine with scattershot. Hopefully my reply shows you that, as far as I can tell, I've already thought of the things you're bringing up, and chosen not to run with them for actual reasons that are thought out.

17. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

I'm not sure what's more horrifying: The clean-up of the latest Endbringer, the extent of Moord Nag's potentially current threat, the implications of just how many Capes needed an amputation and downcheck....

Or just how adjusted to being a can-do mindfucked slave Coil's become. I mean, the guy's an asshole, sure, but only needing three thought-process-interrupts in this mess? Despite interacting with Lisa and seeing just how far Pantheon has gone along the path he hoped for?

Unnerving.

On another note, can we get WoG about the possibility that, unlike the Butcher, this form of body-jacking is capable of permanently taking Parahumans, even with the resurrection/cloning tech, by infecting the Parahuman Shard and programming it to re-infect the host when they're active again? I don't think it's likely, but I'd appreciate reassurance anyway.

18. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

I see Calvert's crimethink inhibitor is becoming faster and more seamless as it adapts to his mind, and as he becomes molded by it. In 3 out of 4 cases, it's able to complete his thoughts with a similar thought.

Compare to Ch 104, about 9 months prior to this update:
    Speaking of which, his annual inhibitor checkup is coming up.
    four :p

19. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

They still have the Bolas. Seems like the thing to do, blast the city from space. Collapse the moord nag timeline, evacuate and fire in one timeline, try more conventional tactics in another.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  20. Daunmi

I agree. Partially. They still have weapons of mass mass mass destruction. Evacuate the world, let the fire sort everything out.

21. Snake/Eater

I picked David Bowie"s "Heroes" as played by Peter Gabriel because even in the Most darkest of fix fics,in this moment Calvert and Moord Nag can be Heroes,just one day...if they survive.:D

I'm going to Name this scary Love boat "Unstoppable aka Heroes" = Thomas Calvert/Moord Nag

TanaNari likes this.
  22. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

One thing Wildbow succeeded in spectacularly was characterisation for a huge ensemble. (Because Worm was preceded by several years of drafts.) Soooo, treat your huge ensemble as an opportunity to excel at concise characterisation.

23. Daunmi

Next chapter:
    "Ok, so we lost 80% of the members of every organization to this last Endbringer and for some reason our resurrection tech wont work for them. We've decided to continue on without them, and never mention them again!"

Original wording, before I realized what I was saying?
    "Ok, so we lost 80% of every member of every organization"
    Oops :D

24. VaporDeagle

VaporDeagle A

Well, that.

And he kills them off faster than A-10 strafing run on medieval army formation too.

25. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I guess that depends on whether or not I'm succeeding here. :p

One of those limits of fanfic- you're a weed in someone else's garden. It's up to you to grow into the terrain, because it wasn't made for you.

26. Snake/Eater

yet he never got a nickname like kill'em all Yamato or Fate/zero's Urobutcher and then there's the game of throne's The GRRM Reaper.

Tenebrous Fantasies and TanaNari like this.
  27. Ack

There's a fun little card game called Redshirts, where you win by killing off the aforementioned Redshirts.

It's very silly. And has a very high body count.

28. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

I would hope so. I haven't read anyone elses arguments, as I said before, I've been ignoring the thread for a month. These are my own ideas.

There are nearly (but not quite) infinite universes (and yes I know mathematically that doesn't work. Its shorthand for 'lots and lots I don't know if we have a number big enough'), Scion keeps people from visiting any but a relatively small number. We know that the entities basically filled up their home universe, if I'm remembering this correctly. That's a LOT of entities.

In each universe, different planets could be populated, different species evolve and make different decisions. Even if every sentient race in ONE universe was visited, there could be billions more in billions of other universes for the entities to go nomnom on.

29. Ack

They filled their planet. Not their universe.

At least, as far as I recall.

30. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

But isn't each entitiy individually larger than a planet :D?

The truth comes out, there was only ever Scion and Eden, and their universal extermination gambit was the result of them literally being squished together on one planet, each bemoaning how fat the other was.

Ten millenia of Zion's butt on your face would drive anyone to genocide.