1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This setting clearly doesn’t care about or include New 52/Earth Prime continuity, and even if it did, past events in the fic contradict current DC canon in terms of humans being destined for the Silver City. Out of curiosity, does ‘all souls’ include aliens and humans who don’t worship the Source/Presence/Abrahamic God?

I believe you quoted the part about ‘Noriel’ wanting to go to the Silver City upon her death, and Paragon’s mental response to that about not being possible- granted, she might still be thinking more like an Angel than a human. In addition, there are a lot of things Paragon knows that ‘Noriel’ wouldn’t, such as Asmodel’s deception and collaboration with Neron, the captured humans being used as siphons of Source power, the current political situation of Hell (though granted, you were talking specifically about the Silver City so the last one isn’t fully relevant).

Actually now that I think about it, they might be able to invoke the actual Noriel and interact with her, though I’m not sure how helpful that would be - angelic summoning would still be interesting to see; it might not show up in fiction a lot (I can only think of Good Omens, though it isn’t really a mortal calling upon an angel) but I believe it was a part of real-life occult traditions (the Ars Goetia is followed by another book about angels, after all) and possibly a non-annoying and productive action monotheistic characters in the story could do, such as the Congregation.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. SH2009

SH2009 Making the rounds.

I'm still hung up on whether Linda/Noriel thinks Superman is the most powerful hero because she doesn't know what Orange Lantern is capable of (He turned the freekin' moon around on a whim, or so it might seem), or because she doesn't consider Orange Lantern to be a hero. Either perspective is interesting.

3. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

Probably Supes. OL can take him, but I doubt many people realize that.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  4. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

This should be singular given that it is a first person perspective.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I mean... unless demon magic helps protect from STDs, that's an entirely possible outcome.

I think the point was specifically having it in a tin would cause it to become poisonous, independent of spoilage. It's true that certain tin-containing chemical compounds are dangerously toxic in sufficient amounts, but the fact that we sell food stored in cans and people don't get sick from it should pretty blatantly indicate that the belief is fallacious.

And even if that wasn't enough evidence for a person holding that belief... (1) Food cans aren't actually made of tin anymore. (2) When food cans WERE made of tin they were lacquered to avoid having the metal react with the food. (3) When food cans were made of tin and NOT lacquered people still didn't get sick from tin poisoning because it takes a lot of tin to make you sick and the chemical process would stop once the inner surface of the can had been reacted.

I mean, I'm already hosting a wiki for WTR. Worst case scenario, I spin up an instance of XenForo somewhere and we have our own forum with blackjack and hookers.

6. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Probably the second, Paul didn't hold back and killed her in cold blood with a demonic artifact that as far as he knew would have soul killed her, and if i remember the scene in question, he did so not because she was a true threat, but because it was more expedient and he didn't want to waste time in his rush to run towards hell.

Paul is almost certainly not a hero, on his best days he isn't even an anti-hero, he is one of the largest mass murderes currently alive among the human race, probably only outdone by the likes of Vandal savage (and certainly he had a lot more time to pile the bodies). Paul IS a self interested villain, he just has very utilitarian interest and a particular frame of mind of how things should be achieved.

7. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

I am not sure how Paul could defeat Superman without prep time or the Ophidian, considering that Superman carries a radiation shield and Paul doesn't use offensive magic.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

His human body count is pretty low. On Earth, he is a hero.

Unless you mean he's the most prolific murderer among humans, instead of the most prolific murderer of humans.

Being a Lantern means he can MAKE prep time. He would lose in a direct brawl, but if it comes down to a direct brawl then that means he's already done something wrong.

9. Aeess

You cant use prep time to talk about who the most powerful is though, like nothing stops Kon from blasting Pauls head off when he sleeps, but you wouldn't say that Kon is more powerful than him.

DrThoth likes this.
  10. DrThoth

I believe he’d already seen that the First of the Fallen was fine albeit depowered at this point in the story, so I don’t think cessation of existence was really a potential outcome in his mind.

His mindset is very ruthless and based around enlightened self-interest, yes, but I’d still call him an anti-hero rather than a villain- I admire his seeming competence and effectiveness more than his morality though, so I’ll admit it’s very subjective.

11. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I agree with pretty much everything here. The only thing I disagree with is a bit of your definition here. He's a villain... by your standards.

All of what you said, except for that definition issue, is true. Nonetheless, he's firmly a hero in my book. Moreso than most others, actually.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  12. DrThoth

I’m not sure what technology Superman is using for the radiation shield but I seem to remember Paragon actually helping create it, and even if he didn’t I think a power ring could probably bypass it-after that he can just generate Kryptonite radiation.
    He also has his esoteric orange light manipulation, which I'd say is similar to magic, just using a different source than ambient mana/arcane fields. I don’t think Superman’s Kryptonian powers would prevent assimilation or branding, though we’ve seen Kryptonian technology that can resist constructs. Paragon would potentially consume the solar energy straight from Superman’s cells.
    Another option is using the kinetic belt to trap him; it worked on Wonder Woman in canon and would probably work on him too, though he still has his heat vision.
    The episode/story arc Rampage shows some other mechanisms Paragon could employ against yellow sun-empowered Kryptonians too, I believe.

infinityDivided likes this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

And get her shot unless she doesn't publish it under her real name.

Honestly this whole Heaven Arc has been boring compared to what Grayven has been done.

Prince Charon and DrThoth like this.
  14. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

So fair warning. I'm catching up on the last week.

Gone! Gone! Oh form of man
    And rise the demon Etrigan!

Need I say more?

Polygraphs are only sort-of legal. Yes, police can use them in the course of an investigation, but they're inadmissible in court. Mind you that's mostly because they're unreliable, a problem that a halfway-decent truth spell wouldn't have, but until the law catches up to the reality of truth spells they'd probably be considered equivalent.

First, Superman could easily turn the moon around on a whim. Wouldn't, but could. In context of their power levels, it's not really an impressive feat for either of them. It might have been for OL when he did it, but he's MUCH more powerful now. At this point he could do that without Ophidian's help. And Superman? Psh. Superman can tow galaxies around if he has a good enough reason. Turning a moon around doesn't even rate.

But back to the main point, I don't think many people on Earth would consider OL to be more powerful than Superman. And even as a reader looking in, I'd put them about equal. Sure, OL has versatility that puts Superman to shame, but Superman....well, we've not seen his peak in either this story or in YJ since he's not a main character in either, so I'm going to assume comic book peak. Which means he can tow around galaxies and tank multiple simultaneous supernovae. OL's versatility would win in a fight, but not because he's actually more powerful. He's just got better ways to cheat.

infinityDivided likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Linda, you want to field this one?

[​IMG]
    Don't.

16. DrThoth

I didn’t really care about Renegade and the Kryptonian ship or Black Manta interactions, but I enjoy his exploits in Hellblazer-Britain, his talk show segments, the Martian civil war storyline and his possible alliance/interactions with Morgaine le Fay, who would probably fit in reasonably well in Apokaliptian society. He also seems a bit more adult than Paragon, likely due to having children to care for and not masquerading as a barely-legal teenager.

I wonder if Renegade will interact with Hell (or Heaven) at some point. Could New God tech/abilities be used to sanctify places like the Silver City does? Mister Miracle was able to counter some of Karrien’s curses on Paragon after all. Renegade might be too Apokaliptian but he has New Genesis allies.

On a tangent, has Renegade actually done anything about his relatively recent dislike for assimilating sapient beings? I’m mostly fine with him leaving the former Light members in that state but he was already regretting Nabu’s state even before his exposure to and recovery from Anti-Life. He might be self-serving enough to let things remain as they are for fear of dealing with a new and possibly hostile Lord of Order (though he still has the Sword of the Fallen, I believe, as well as mystically powerful support, so I wouldn’t say that would be justified). It would be nice to see Mister Zatara of that timeline take some moral initiative and seek a way to free or mercy-kill Nabu- he should be learned enough to realize what assimilation actually is, and ethical enough to address it even if it’s not the most utilitarian course of action.

The primary reason I sometimes enjoy the Renegade timeline more is that he’s actually resolved a lot of the issues that trouble him or his plans, and not just in his early reckless immediate-results MO. Paragon seems to be much more scattered, and there are so many dangling plot threads that could be addressed in the first updates of every new story arc (as has been done for a lot of different topics on occasion) or deserve follow-up. Key examples include the Religion of Crime and Anti-Life use on Earth; missing mystically enhanced Starros; no desire to commune with Oceanus or Titans after Titanfall, just quoting Discworld about having to be for Olympians or Titans, which seems far too binary a mindset for Paragon. It’s egregious because early Paragon and indeed other parts of the story were all about exploring the implications of canonical events and expanding their impact on the world, and that aspect has kind of fallen by the wayside for a while.

17. Aeess

I think a radiation shield generator as part of his costume would be protected by his force-field(and if lanterns could get past that it would be ridiculously easy for them to defeat kryptonians)
    I seriously doubt Superman is greedy enough that assimilation or branding is viable in a fight, especially since I doubt that Paul could want it enough when Superman looks like his best friend. If Paul attempted it Superman would most likely be able to take him out fast enough.
    Kryptonians dont work like that here, they dont use solar energy but rather contact to sunlight allows them to manipulate nuclear force, not to mention that they always had to use red sunlight to depower Kryptonians before.
    That is actually something I overlooked, but its more something that gives him a chance to beat Superman without preparation, instead of a reason why I would say he can take him.

DrThoth likes this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Spectre... Paradise Lost... Day of Judgement... The official multiverse map...

19. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

All of what you're saying may, or may not, be true for current DC canon. I am not knowledgeable to comment on the interpretation.

However, like all DC canon, Zoat has his own independent chimera universe composed of various bits of other DC canon haphazardly glued together, the main portion of which was a snapshot of Young Justice around the start of the first season. He then took this universe, which was crazy nonsense that works well if you don't stare at it too long (like all DC canon), and added someone who wasn't nonsense and took things from there, adding in bits of other universes into gaps as he deemed it convenient.

Chronology and further, independent, evolution of these universes is irrelevant; Zoat hasn't even included some things from Young Justice that already existed when he started writing WTR. He takes canon from when he damn well pleases, as he damn well pleases, does whatever damn well pleases him to that canon, and then uses it as it pleases him, damn.

I mean for fucks sake, he basically said "I think the direction canon's gone in the past half-decade is so stupid that it's dead to me, good riddance.". You're lambasting him over minor details that were changed, either by him, or by DC itself? Well fine, but it's stupid and annoying, so stop.

20. Mr Zoat

It's binned, along with post-School of Friendship MLP:FiM, post-Legends Star Wars, post 5th edition Warhammer 40,000, post End Times Warhammer, kids on my lawn...

21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Superman-wise, this version was confirmed to have no FTL flying speed or anywhere close, fairly weak super-strength - he can possibly lift some buildings, but find it hard, but not move planets. Regardless, Paul could probably drain his radiation shield - which isn’t all that powerful as far as battery capacity, then kryptonite him. More than that, Paul mentioned that it doesn’t protect against things like Kryptonite bullets - it specifically only protects from small radioactive particles coming from outside the shield. Paul could literally just synthesize Kryptonite and physically move it inside the shield.

Drode, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

They probably will avoid him for the same reason they avoid Darkseid. Too much of a headache.

Besides the New Gods are technically part of the Norse Panteon, kind off? Or the Greek one? Only instead of staying on Earth they went to space or something... Because... who the fucks knows? The whole thing is confusing.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Except for Lords. Or Zatanna with the staff of love, which allows her to power her magic from the emotional spectrum.

The Lords have a continuous tie to Chaos or Order.

Did you forget all the trouble Paul had to go to get Nabu's magic count low enough that he lost consciousness? Under normal circumstances Lords don't run out of mojo.

And according to Zoat, Lords retain their connection to Chaos or Order where ever they are, so they can use their magic just fine in outer space. Which would be how Nabu made it from the planet Cilia to Earth.

So Lords combine the versatility of magic with a self replenishing energy source which will run out when the concepts of Order or Chaos cease to exist in the universe.

Which is why both Paul and Gravy's standard operating procedure when dealing with a Lord is to cheat.

And now both Constantine ,and through the helmet, the Other John, now combine all their magical knowledge with self renewing energy to power every magic trick they know.

24. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

Given the context I assume this is supposed to be Linda's perspective.

Chaoswind likes this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Makes sense , but there’s the caveat being that the lords were hard to beat mainly because they made themselves unhurtable by conventional means. OL could probably have beaten Fate, but he didn’t want to hurt Zatara, so the fight became one of attrition, where Paul couldn’t directly hurt Fate, but did succeed in leading him to having his magic scrambled. Likewise, the chaos Lord in Rene-verse required to be beaten by someone outside of destiny, so Power levels are hard to judge, since he used stealthy methods to kill him - and even then it didn’t work and he was reborn powerless and treated to an unspecified fate worse than death by the people he previously controlled. If I remember correctly, Renegade didn’t have much trouble beating Klarion, the only Lord that has been fought in this fic on even ground without any excessive preparation, and he’s gotten better since then. Paragon Klarion was also not fought directly primarily because they wanted to steal his power.

Since they were actually just really tough to kill, as opposed to easily killing OL, power levels are a bit hard to tell, with OL possibly being in the lead due to, unlike the Lords, not having a noticeable cast time on non-cantrip attacks. Fate didn’t really show anything OL couldn’t counter, but for the fact that he couldn’t attack him in almost any way. Your comment about being able to fight in space still stands, but power level is at the very least more questionable than is obvious. The problem isn’t that they run out of power, but that they haven’t yet been shown to use anything OL couldn’t counter in some way, either by avoiding or blocking, but they didn’t apparently have fair shields to stop OL’s best attacks at the current moment. Their only real advantage over him is that they don’t rely on ring charge, so they win in battles of attrition where they can’t be properly attacked.

By that measure, you might as well say that Deadman is the most powerful DC hero due to his invulnerability to most things.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  26. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well...Now I'm just trying to find the part where Grayven found the reborn depowered Klarion. Proving...difficult.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

It was recently posted in QQ's Story Only thread. Search the most recent pages for Mordru, since I remember Grayven checked on him immediately after... Found it.

28. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks.

Though I am annoyed that you were able to do that so easily when I searched for an hour.

29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

By recently, I meant this weekend, and I take the time to read it when I'm not racing Twilight666 to get the first Like in. It was fresh in my mind.

Twilight666 likes this.
  30. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

28th January
    21:34 GMT -3

"Beatriz, I think-"

Beatriz's head snaps around, a thin film of fire immediately appearing over her hands.

"-I've found a fix-"

The men -yes, they're all men- around her either start at my sudden appearance or take a step away. Beatriz herself on the other hand has already scanned and recognised me and is lowering her flame-level.

"-for your combustion dysfunction."

She smiles for her conversation partners. "Would you gentlemen excuse me? Paul and I have superhero business to discuss."

A few nods from slightly calmed guests as Beatriz takes a rather firm hold on my left arm and pulls me towards the balcony. She smiles and waves at several of the conversation clusters we pass before leaning into me companionably. I doubt that anyone else attending this… Post fashion show party thing, can see how gritted her teeth are.

"Did you have to do this now?"

"No, but you made it clear how interested in this you were, so I thought that you might appreciate being involved from the start."

"On balance, yes, but this is what I do for a living."

"Pleased as I am that the Brazilian fashion industry doesn't immediately reject women with a bit of muscle on their frames, I can't help but feel that you're wasting your talents."

"I don't remember getting a call from the Justice League."

"Not.. superheroing. Police work. Or the Brazilian fire service. You are fireproof, yes?"

"This pays better -mostly- and gives me enough time off work that I can volunteer to work with the police and fire service as a superhero."

I nod as we walk out of the main hall and out into the Brazilian night air. January after sundown and if it wasn't for my environmental shield I'd be sweating.

"I saw your blog entries. How is your training going?"

She checks the distance to the other people out here. "My control's a little better, but I'm still-. Only as powerful as I was before."

"Why exactly.. do you want to be a superhero again? And if you could avoid the bullshit answer you put on your website, that would be splendid."

"You know who Hugo Danner is?"

I smile broadly. "Yes! I managed to get a copy of his research from Green Lantern -the one who was part of the-."

"The All-Star Squadron. I didn't know they actually found that. You know how to make the formula?"

I nod. "Yes. LexCorp hired his son, and the first batch of Guard Dogs of Dawn should be undergoing their training now."

"Dogs?" She frowns, then nods. "I.. suppose that makes sense. They're easier to train than people." She lets go of my arm and walks over to the edge of the balcony. "Did you ever wonder what would have happened if the Children of Dawn had won?"

"I'd probably be down a mentor or two. Depending on whether or not they pulled their punches fighting Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. Flash had already left the Squadron at that point, so the modern Flash would probably still exist. The-."

"I meant to Brazil."

"I can't honestly say that I've studied Brazilian history in any detail."

"Our last Emperor, Dom Pedro the Second, was overthrown in a military coup. He abolished slavery, instituted parliamentary democracy, championed free speech and civil rights, and he was replaced first by corrupt oligarchs and then by a military-backed dictatorship. Then a handful of idiots, then twenty two years of fascist military rule."

"What exactly was your grandfather's job?"

She looks back at me, but she's actually not glaring this time. "He was the Head of Counter-Insurgency. He told the field units who to grab from the streets and torture to death. He had thousands of people murdered." She laughs humourlessly. "And of course the amnesty law gave him immunity from prosecution."

"There was a lot of that going around. I still remember the attempt to extradite Pinochet from Britain."

She shakes her head. "Growing up, I actually liked Grandpa. Then he tried to persuade me to join the Brazilian Integralist Party and we had a.. disagreement."

Ring, who are-? Oh. Yes, that reminds me a little of when I found out that Patrick Moore would have quite happily genocided Germany. You think you know the Gamesmaster, then it's sort of an uncomfortable 'ooh'.

"Hugo Danner and the Sons of Dawn would have laughed off the military coup. I don't know whether or not he would have been successful at running the economy, but he was used to the American system of government. I would be astonished if the more unpleasant parts of modern Brazilian history would have occurred. And.. you would never have been born, so there's that." I frown. "Why do you ask?"

"My grandfather's police murder anyone with strong political opinions while a superhero who would have saved the country rots in prison and you're still asking why I want to be a superhero and not a policewoman?"

I nod. "Ah."

"I couldn't face it. Not after my grandfather-. His son's working for LexCorp?" I nod. "I didn't think he had any children."

"He got together with an old girlfriend shortly before coming to Brazil." I shrug. "I can give you his e-mail address if you want to send him a message."

"Thanks. So what was that about improving my powers?"

"We recently apprehended an individual answering to the name-" Provisionally, we have to call her something until she makes a permanent decision. "-'Noriel'. She claims to be the angel responsible for -amongst other things- fire. With her-."

Beatriz' eyes light up. "She helped you create a ritual we can use to boost me?"

Technically…

"Wait." Her eyes narrowed. "You hesitated. Why did you hesitate?"

"You remember when the angels marked me for death?"

"Ah. I thought that was some sort of trick."

"Technically, it was. It still hurt. Anyway, she and some Atlantean mages working for KordTech based the design for the spell on how she manipulates fire. Technically, it won't boost your raw power, but it will allow you to do much more with it."

"What's the drawback?"

"Magic is easier to directly counter than metahuman abilities, so don't slack off on your other training. And there's a small chance that fires might start… Pointing at you in defiance of local air currents."

"And that's it?"

"I don't use demons, and we already discounted the Parliament of Flames."

Unhelpful, uncommunicative gits that they/it are/is.

"So are you up for this?"

"Yes." She straightens up, and I can see her shift mode into the intelligence agent she used to be. "Let's go."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019