1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They just ignored OL didn't they? They probably didn't want the hassle that usually accompanies associating with OL, like how people want Constantine to stay the hell away from them.

2. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm assuming he's not referring to her as a farming implement or lady of the evening here

3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should be "No, but you made it clear how interested..."
    Unless this conversation is secretly something entirely different than what i think it is.

Vorian likes this.
  4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Nice way to remind people who this is without a link or a detailed bio...

The usual sort of horny hangers-on, I expect?

"No, but you made it clear how interested in this you were...

And no sweating a secret identity.

Cue Grrl power "...I might've heard of him..." moment. (Look it up, on page 196)

...I find that slightly worrying...

...Ouch. Not a nice guy, in his professional life anyway.

I restate my 'assumptions about celebrities' line from yesterday...

Hmm... Is present tense appropriate there?

Took her a few moments to react to that :p Also: 'Lexcorp'

Eager, isn't she?

So, skill buff, not power buff.

:confused: Okay, that's an odd side effect.

Surprised there's not a little orange in there. But I suppose this isn't overwhelming.

Good to see some networking with future League prospects.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Parliament of Flames, as presented in Swamp Thing, are entities that live in the Sun, so about one hundred million miles away from Earth, oversee the entire solar system, and they predate the Earth itself and will exist for billions of years after Earth becomes uninhabitable for life as we know it.

If one looked up the word "distant," it should be a picture of those guys staring back. :)

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

7. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Did they consider Red Inferno’s system, or could that only be used to make fire-magic machines and not augment people?

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Is 8 hours enough time to do all this? Have the resaerchers interview / analyze the angel, think of this lady, etc...? Seems like it might have happened a bit quickly.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  9. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Six hours after you factor for time zone change, and conversation over spell concept and theory is more time-efficient that PRT Power Testing.

infinityDivided, Ardy and nobodez like this.
  10. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I mean, it would make sense for a research time if this was an emergency, like the last time he came to Septian (with the apple?), but this seems like it could have happened an in-universe week from now and Noriel would still be just as memorable. Does this mean something big is coming up and Zoat wants to get this done now?

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Like the only concievable situation with a turn around this quick would be if both projects just happened to the same group of people researching esoteric fire magic/ powers or something. But that still doesn’t make sense, since this lady doesn’t use fire magic for her powers, I think, so how would the Atlantanteans even know about her except in the context of OL having maybe asked them for a way to boost her some time ago? That seems a bit like a waste of time to research.

12. Mr Zoat

The Atlanteans have an excellent knowledge of how to use magic to do things, Noriel could describe off the cuff what it was they need to do. There wasn't a lot of new research involved.

13. Stsword

Actually, the original version, of the character, Green Fury, from the Superfriends comic, is in fact a magic user, her powers come from Brazilian shamanism, her magical flames allowed her to fly, burn or freeze things, cast illusions, heal, and transform from her civilian identity to her superhero identity.

A far cry from the original powers of Green Fire, who could only breath a tiny gout of flame.

I'm presuming that's the inspiration for this little storyline.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Atlanteans might not be into fire manipulation, but Cornwall Boy knows how. Elemental magic is part of his current course of study.

Regarding Superman's radiation shield, it wouldn't be hard to fabricate a material for his uniform that would block kryptonite radiation. Not perfect as it doesn't cover his hands or head, but still useful if the shield fails and is protected by his biological forcefield. If one were felling really clever, you would make it out of a material that can convert kryptonite radiation into yellow light.

I'm surprised OL just doesn't call himself Pavlos to avoid that annoying name thing. The Amazons and their associated deities already call him that. Problem solved.

15. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I really like how this latest chapter addresses the ethical problems inherent to the decision of the JSA and the Justice League to selectively interfere with the affairs of other countries. Did the JSA have any sensible reason for acting to prevent Danner to takeover Brazil while later doing nothing to prevent similar takeovers that were much worse?

I really like fanfiction that explores the way that Superheroes decide to focus on combating minor crimes in a wealthy country where the justice system does not really need Superhuman assistance to function while completely neglecting all the horrific events that are going on in less fortunate regions of the world. Anyone have any recommendations for this type of fiction?

16. Stsword

In the comics, the dannered amerindians attacked the US Embassy and it's staff.

The dannered amerindians didn't speak Portuguese, or English, or Spanish, only their own language, it was also less a military conquest and more a Kaiju like rampage as they attacked everyone and everything in sight, including Dan the Dynamite's parents.

17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Not necessarily on Earth-16, of course, but if they did attack the US embassy in this continuity, that is sufficient provocation (especially in that era) for the All-Star Squadron to be sent.

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

True, but it just seems like a bit of a jump in applying this newly learned technique to a random issue of relatively low priority (her powers weren’t really endangering anyone immediately), for a person who didn’t use magic, and whose powers therefore were unique and less interesting for study due to their inapplicability elsewhere (since they can’t replicate them). Seems like a huge leap of logic from the point of view of the researchers, especially since, as was, I believe, pointed out earlier, they’re not normally big on fire magic. This seems like it would just be written down somewhere in someone’s notes, reported, and then be forgotten and fade into obscurity due to lack of interest. Especially in a world without the internet or some equivalent info-sharing device. Part of the reason some research doesn’t get done in a lot of fields, is that people find some potentially interesting thing in some study, but then there is no immediate follow up due to lack of interest in funding, etc... and people thinking they have better things to focus on / alternate more obvious solutions to a given problem.

The problem isn’t that the technique would be hard to learn. It’s that busy magic researchers aren’t likely to remember some random surface woman’s problem with lack of control when they can be doing things that might have more immediate applications, such as researching whether they can get a forge working better / more efficiently with new fire magic, leading to an decrease in manufacturing costs, etc...

The problem is that there doesn’t seem to be a reason why this fire magic would help this particular woman with fire powers as opposed to just making her a woman with both fire powers and fire magic, and when no previously known fire magic techniques worked. They’re not improving a previous solution, but inventing a completely new one for a problem with no previously known solution.

The researchers would have to diagnose her specific problem, learn the technique, and then figure out that you can actually apply it in this situation not at all similar to it’s original use, which would involve doing some amount of spell modification.

Of course, there’s the option of super magic-science, which this seems like it might be, but that has it’s own problems, namely that Atlantans haven’t been shown to have superscientists yet.

Cuchulin and RagnarokAscendant like this.
  19. Stsword

I'd be surprised if the attack resembles the comics much, or else Fire's fangirling is quite misplaced.

In Young All-Stars Hugo Danner was ready to see the whole world burn, the goal was less "take over Brazil" and more "build a new society over the mountain of corpses of the old."

I suppose Zoat could have pictured it as a more military invasion situation style situation, some of the Sons of Dawn got rambunctious and attacked the US Embassy without orders, which summoned the All-Stars, which ate up time until the war of the world ending happened.

Oh interesting little tidbit that Zoat isn't using, since it would have been mentioned- Danner enhanciles get more powerful with age. Iron Monroe wasn't as strong as his father, but was more powerful than the Sons of Dawn. Considering Iron Monroe and Ubermensch have been around since WW2......

20. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

Well, the answer is likely that OL is directing them to this specific purpose as a priority, as he is pretty much a bankroller of a subset of their scientists this is something he could do pretty easily, and I can see his want for another hero on the field making he give specific directions towards this instead of just letting they do their thing.

And, as he is the point of contact between noriel and them, and this was suddenly the first thing they seem to have done, that should be an obvious conclusion as well.

Prince Charon, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  21. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

So, uh, it wasn't actually Pedro who ended slavery in Brazil. It was his daughter, Isabel, taking advantage of one of his absences and acting as Regent.

And the only reason the coup against them was successful is because they were politically retarded. If they did literally anything to capitalize on the popularity of ending slavery, Brazil could very well still be a monarchy to this day.

NightmareWarden, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

My brief look at the wikidepdia pages suggested that the Emperor had already decided to be the last emperor as he didn't think a woman could do the job and he had no sons.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Used as a name instead of as a description of the relationship, "Grandpa" should be capitalized.

There's an Offspring song in here somewhere.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  25. Sckarred

Sckarred Getting some practice in, huh?

Just my two cents, but it's debatable exactly how many of those things he did in a manner that actually worked and for moral reasons. Slavery abortion took 4 different laws and about 30 years. His parliament democracy was practically a puppet system, since beyond the executive, judiciary and legislative powers, the emperor held a "moderator" power with which he could disband the members of the parliament at will.

The military dictatorship definately sucked though.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  26. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

also quite the republican either way

nobodez likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

The British monarch still has those powers, technically speaking.

Er... Or did twenty years ago. I've honestly got no idea whether or not she still does.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

No longer does, the British Royal Family is basically a tourist atraction nowadays.

Or the royal family wouldn't have got in trouble by how they expended money.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I believe they still explicitly have the power to disband parliament, but if they were to shut down or cancel parliament without good reason, they would probably be assassinated or something. At the moment it’s considered an emergency power they can exercise if parliament goes out of control and does something like start an extremist war nobody agrees with or something. They are mostly a tourist attraction, but they still have a lot of money which they give to charities and things like that, as well as the ability to give knighthoods. The queen once arrested a burglar who broke into her room. So she does have some small actual executive power.

Either way, if the UK does need an emergency single ruler, the royalty is supposed to step in.

30. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

That sounds awesome. Link?

IthinkthereforeIcan likes this.