1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy are we still talking about this?

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    Not exactly. Creating a 'child' and an 'adult' was how Oggar made her an adult in accordance with her request.
    We're on QQ now. Live a little.

3. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Because people are wrong, on the Internet.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Q Ranger is the equivalent of Major Force, a fellow Quantum powered individual to Captain Atom.

And one of the powers of a quantum powered being is to create, destroy, or manipulate energy.

Constructs are made out of energy.

I don't remember a quantum individual messing with constructs directly, but Captain Atom once beat up Nekron by absorbing his death energies and smacking him in the face with his own energy.

That was before Blackest Night, of course, can't sell a major crossover based on Captain Atom bitch slapping Nekron.

5. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

To break it down, I suppose it comes down to this:

Some people value the word of the law itself, and essentially use it as a moral code. To them, pedophilia would be having sex with anyone under 18 (or whatever the local age of consent is), and aside from intentional exceptions like the Romeo and Juliet clause, don't really care about the details beyond that. It's wrong because its against the law.

But some other people consider maturity to be the key detail. A relationship with someone who isn't mature enough, and/or a relationship with a huge difference in maturity, can result in the more mature partner manipulating the less mature one, or the less mature one instinctively obeying the more mature one. This interferes with consent, and that's a big no-no.

In this situation, it is theoretically possible for someone younger than 18 to be sufficiently mature, but I've never heard of any case of this happening in the real world. There are situations where a savant can handle many of the things a adult can but at a younger age, but in every example I've heard of, they're still emotionally immature and mature more-or-less at the same rate.

It is, however, fairly common for adults to be immature to a moderate or severe degree, due to a abnormally slow rate of development, or even outright mental ailments. In this case, those who defer to the law would say that relations are okay, but those who judge it by emotional maturity would not. And even for normal adults, some people argue that 18 is still too young; studies have shown that mental development continues into the 20s.

In the specific captain marvel case, both schools of thought would probably disagree with it. 'Lawists' would say that it was paedophilia because she's under 18, plain and simple, dingdong bingbong lock him up and throw away the key.

'Maturists' would probably disagree with it, though it depends on the details of solomon's wisdom. But from what people have said, it doesn't really grant emotional maturity/experience, so she still more-or-less has the maturity of a child and dingdong bingbong lock him up and throw away the key.

For both of these, the transformation doesn't really matter all that much. Lots of people would be squicked by the idea of having relations with someone who was somehow emotionally competent but physically young, but it doesn't make much sense to say it's morally wrong to have sex with someone because of what shape they are.

Drode, inglorius, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, the only argument I can see that actually works in this case and doesn’t make Owlman and the writers pedophiles, is that her being made into an adult through magic also caused her to mentally mature. We also don’t have any examples of how Earth -14 Solomon’s wisdom works, so it might make people more mentally mature. It might also give the equivalent of years of experience, or years of memories, similar to Hawkman/woman making one mentally older. Heck, for all we know, Earth -14 people become mentally mature at 14. Or we might be going by Japanese rules, where high schoolers are considered mentally mature enough. Those are literally the only cases where he isn’t a pediphile. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was though.

7. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

OK, I am trying to understand the concept of the positive and negative universes.

I understand there is a "Universal constant" that they use for "Standard Notation" (like how ST:TNG used Worf's RNA, that had an unusual quantum signature, to figure out what universe he belonged to). Is OL Paul going to learn how to scan for it? Enough universes know what the constant is so it must be observable to most post-industrial/pre-spaceage civilizations.

Are the positive universes normal matter and negative anti-matter? For instance, could he head over to Qward? (a bad idea, but I am trying to understand how this works) Or better, Earth-positive 14 to get reinforcements.

I just really hope (hehe) that OL gets a new Ring out of this adventure. Koriand'r would definitely look better in a Blue uniform, she is just so hopeful (and you said it before, she would be stronger with hope). OR, Blue Lantern Paul somehow ends up coming to live permanently on 16, unless there is a problem where he blows up if in a parallel universe for to long like on Stargate SG-1
    OL could use a Yellow ring in his future fight with Sinestro.

Ohhh, so many interesting possibilities.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Imagine, if you would, a bunch of coins on a strip of tape. The strip of tape represents the DC multiverse.

Each coin represents a numbered universe. Heads is the normal universe, tails is the anti-matter universe.

The coin in the middle of the strip of tape is universe zero. The positive universes are on one side. The negative universes are on the other. Beyond the fact that they're all part of the same multiverse and therefore carry some significant commonalities, there's not a whole lot of specific relationships between them. The ones on the negative side developed in one way, the ones on the positive side developed a different way, but up to now there's not been any established relationship between e.g. universe -14 and universe +14.

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Weren’t the negative universes invented in New 52 though? With the whole Barbados thing? That is not being used in this fic? I was under the impression blue Paul was from + 14?

10. Stsword

No, Zoat named his universe Earth negative 14 for some reason.

Perhaps, like Coda surmised above, Zoat intended his cosmology so that each universe has an anti-matter double.

But yes, you are right, DC didn't have negative universes until the dark multiverse, because one thing DC has been consistent is that each multiverse only including one anti-matter universe.

I recently read a comic that was a plot point. AM is jealous that the Monitor got an infinite amount of universes to play with, while AM got one measly universe.

11. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

OK, so there is only one antimatter universe. I guess that explains why Renegade OL did not meet the same Weaponeer in his antimatter story-arc. (I still am assuming that somehow Paragon and Renegade are both canon to the story because of the multiverse theory. Not sure why they are both Earth-16 though........... but there is an OL-16 at the end of time trying to save his timeline so really anything is possible.)

Wait, that means all OL has to do is go to the Antimatter universe and use the Guardians pad near Oa to get home. I assume they have some type of comm unit there................. I might be giving the Guardians to much credit.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

They’re not literal gods like the anti monitor is. They can’t build anything made of matter in the antimatter universe, and even if they could, the AM could use it to get in to the matter universes.

13. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Weaponers don’t come from the AM universe. Grayven and OL met the same people when they went there recruiting. More than that, they can’t get into the AM universe, or the AM could get out.
    Time Trapper Paul is from a pocket universe adjacent to OL’s universe 16 (or something, it’s an alternate version of universe 16 that never came to pass), created by universe 16 Vandal Savage time traveling to create it. I do not think Time Trapper OL seems to necessarily be meta-present (is that the right term for being able to act in all universes at once?), and he might only be able to access one universe, though Red Queen Jade is. The mechanics of Grayven’s universe also being universe 16 have not been explained yet.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    NightmareWarden and Gilhelmi like this.
  14. Stsword

Zoat hasn't explained it but hypertime from DC canon does, so until something contradicts it that's the theory I'm going with.

Hypertime is alternate universes of the "every possible outcome comes to pass" variety.

So in hypertime, one could go to an Earth 16 where Robin was born Ricarda Grayson, daughter of the Flying Graysons, or Batman looked out his window for inspiration and saw nothing, becoming Open Window Man! Or where Miss Martian is actually a Spider-Martian who is trying hard not to see people as Happy Meals with legs, or everyone on the Team is green because humanity evolved from shrubbery, etc, etc.

Hypertime universes aren't constant though, they can be reabsorbed.

The universe where Superman had a ham sandwich instead of a turkey sandwich for lunch will only exist for as long as it matters, when (or if) the two universes become identical, they become one universe again.

So in DC not only is there a multiple choice future, there's a multiple choice past.

15. Gindjurra

Gindjurra Versed in the lewd.

I’ve always viewed ‘incubus’ and ‘succubus’ as being like ‘carnivore’ — they describe a mechanism for acquiring sustenance and a very rough outline of a hunting pattern, rather than an actual species.

While it’s possible that comic book worlds have different laws about religions, they can’t be too different from our USA without producing unrecognizable results. One religion’s angels are often a competing or hostile religion’s demons. For example, there’s some evidence that the giants that served as the Norse pantheon’s evil monsters were the pantheon worshipped by the people the Norse fought when migrating into those lands. Many Catholic devils are the actual gods of other religions.

So any law defining a religion’s mythological figures to be illegal is establishing a state-endorsed opposing religion. And as a result, if the laws on freedom of religion is similar, laws forbidding contact with demons are one constitutional challenge away from being struck down.

It’s odd that he cares about some laws but not others. The mind control by someone acting as law enforcement — aka a vigilante — is more illegal than statutory rape.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Stsword

Including Constantine's nemesis- Nergal. DC revealed that he was indeed the Mesopotamian deity, which either gives him an odd resume or a retcon of his previous origin.

Nergal had also been revealed to be a demonized damned soul, so if it's not a retcon than Nergal died, turned into a demon, and was worshipped as a god over 4000 years ago.

Constantine also did something weirder with Jack the Ripper, revealing that demon was a demonized damned soul, a demonized damned soul from Atlantis. The Atlantis that sank at least 8 thousand years before Christ was born and has its own religion.

Drode likes this.
  17. Buggy123

I can't speak confidently for what OL thinks, but my interpretation is that everyone has their own unique moral code which dictates what they think is right and wrong, and it may, or may not, refer to anything external (rules of law, religion, what other people believe, etc).

So OL might be thinking something along the lines of "You're already very evil by my book, but doing anything to you that is obviously contrary to the local law would have unpleasant consequences for me and would spit in the face of the people around me. Here's this major law you broke, now go rot in jail."

It certainly seems like a enlightened orange way to understand the law. But a consequence is that you don't really care that much if you break it and there aren't consequences. He basically made Jade's crimes vanish, and I don't know what in the world the Citadelian situation would be if it happened in U.S. jurisdiction, but I expect that more than a few lawyers would have a brain aneurysm as soon as they heard about it. A little debatably-legal mind control is nothing.

18. Threadmarks: Doppelgängered (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

4th February
    19:45 GMT -5

The room we appear in reminds me of Hephaestus's forge beneath Mount Etna. Mechanical technology covered in runes and shimmering with magic surrounds us in all directions as a brass circle on the ground around us crackles with electricity.

"We're through! Shut it down!"

"J-just a moment, Power Ring! If I don't-" I hear a clank as a lever is pushed into a new position. "-get this just right, Medea could track us."

Olympia rolls her eyes while Mister Scott smirks. "Really?"

"I don't like leaving-" There's another clank from somewhere behind something that looks like it escaped from the set of Thirteen Ghosts. "-things to chance. You know that. Gets people hurt."

Huh. Add in some affected nonchalance…

"I'm assuming that's your John Constantine."

"Yeah." Mister Scott nods. "Not much use in the field, but he's a great researcher and theorist."

"There." There's another clank, and then… Yes, that's John Constantine, but… Thick rimmed glasses with jeweller's magnifying lenses stuck on the bottom, a burn scar slash across his right cheek and a buttoned up laboratory coat combined with a tool belt. "Give it a moment to fully de-"

Olympia strides across the circle, ignoring the shock as the residual electricity discharges itself into her legs.

"-gauss. Right, yeah, nice work." He puts his hands on his hips as she strides past him. "Hope you weren't planning on going anywhere for another week."

"Don't let her bother you." Mister Scott crosses the circle without incident and approaches John -14, laying his right hand on the man's left shoulder. "You did good work here. Mission successful. Take a break."

John shakes his head, refusing to meet Mister Scott's eyes. "I.. can't, I can't afford the time. You know that."

Mister Scott shrugs magnanimously. "If you're sure." He turns back to Zatanna and me. "Come on, let's get outta Constantine's hair."

Zatanna and I glance at one another, then walk through the workshop after him. Olympia is already waiting for us before what looks like a heavily reinforced goods entrance. Ah, I see. The inner door is open while the outer door is shut. Once we're inside, she throws a lever and the inner door begins to close.

"Where's Zorina?"

Mister Scott glances at Zatanna. "Ah, kids today. No patience."

She folds her arms across her chest. "Where. Is."

"She's not on Earth right now." The inner door clunks closed and the outer door starts to open. "Otherwise we wouldn't need to be having this conversation."

"Did you manage to kill Doctor Chaos?"

"Yeah, he's dead and gone." He glances back at the now closed inner door. "And what's left of him is powering Constantine's workshop. The Don's back in charge, which is why the United States isn't a blazing war zone right now."

We step out into a stone-floored foyer, and Mister Scott leads the way along an adjacent corridor.

Olympia curls her lips. "I am unconvinced this is better."

Mister Scott's eyes twitch for a fraction of a second. Ah, yes, demonstrating disunity before outsiders mildly weakens their position, but that only gets worse if he remonstrates with her. "Honey, you never did learn to play the long game. Now's the time for keeping out of Wilson's way while he and Luthor finish each other off for us."

He stops, opening a door in the wall which leads into a small living room. Olympia marches through and takes up station behind the high-backed chair that appears to be the focus of the room. Mister Scott motions for us to enter and then comes inside, closing the door behind us and walking over to take the fancy chair. That leaves the settee opposite him for the two of us. I return my armour to subspace and take my seat while Zatanna remains standing.

"If she's not on Earth, where is she?"

"Oh, touring the galaxy. I don't know exactly where she is right now. Getting in touch would be tricky."

"And my… Blue alter ego?"

"He went with her." He looks at Zatanna. "Look, ah… Zatanna? You can sit or stand, it doesn't really matter to me. But this could take a while."

Eying him for a moment, she walks around the settee and sits down beside me. Mister Scott smiles.

"Now then. I'm sure you've got a lot of questions, but let me just give you a real quick overview. President Wilson is still in office, but he's coming up to the end of his second term. As far as we know, he isn't going to try and overturn the twenty second amendment, so that's it. The next fellah is almost certainly going to be the current Vice President, Alexander Luthor."

Zatanna nods. "Superhero becomes supervillain, evil corporate executive becomes honest politician."

"He was a superhero too. Beat Ultraman in a fight in central Metropolis right before the Decapitation." He smiles. "Darndest thing. Afterwards, he was more interested in winning the peace than finishing us off."

"Okay, so..." I mean, yes, I can see a heroic Luthor taking high political office… And depending on how police statey things are getting, it might even be good that he won't be pressuring the Syndicate as much. But that still leaves the question… "Why do I care?"

Mister Scott smiles. "Wilson might not want a third term, but it looks like he thinks we're… 'Unfinished business'."

"You are."

"Hah!" He leans back. "I'm not asking you to like us, Power Ring Orange. But the basic math hasn't changed. Moderate members of the Syndicate can only do so much to restrain some of the psychotic serial killers we've got working for us. At the moment, we're on the verge of getting everyone signed up to accept the new, softer touch Management. Once that happens, we can… What's the word?" He hesitates. "Downshift. Retool the Syndicate into an organisation that exists under the radar, to live in a society run under the rule of law."

"I'm still not-."

"Blue told you about Fawcett City, didn’t he?"

"Yes. But I doubt that Wilson would do something like that a second time."

"True, but that still leaves him punishment beatings, arrest and indefinite detention without trial, torture… Honestly, he's copying all our best tricks. Imitation might be the most sincere form of flattery, but I'm not getting any royalties out of it. And before you say anything, he's not just magically getting the people who deserve it, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"And what's Luthor's take on that?"

"Son, if I knew what Lex Luthor was thinking, we wouldn't be having this conversation either. My guess is that he's gunna put up with it for another year." He makes a gesture of appeal. "But I don't know we can keep a lid on things for that long. The New Management is safe, but a lot of the Made Men aren't. And their families sure aren't."

Zatanna shakes her head. "Why us?"

"Normally, we'd put Blue on the case. But he's not here right now, and your face fits. Same with Zorina. The Zatara Crime Family all have their signature backward-talking magic. Can't fake it. That means people know you're speaking for the Family."

"Wait." She raises her eyebrows incredulously. "'Zatara Crime Family'?"

"Sure. Europe and North America's premier magic mafia. Is that not how it works on Earth Sixteen?"

"No, it's just me and Dad. The rest of the family don't do.. anything like that."

"Huh. Well, I suppose it wasn't all that likely everything would be mirrored. Here, it's your… Her, whole extended family. To varying degrees. Being able to say anything backwards is unusual. Usually comes with a restriction or two. But there are about two hundred or so people called 'Zatara' who can do it to some degree or other. The Don would be the fellah to talk to if you really want to ask about Family business."

"So why are Blue Lantern and Zorina Zatara off-planet at such a critical moment? Because it sounds like this was the worst possible time for them to take time off."

Mister Alan frowns. "Just unlucky, really. Figured we'd have a month or two before Wilson pushed this hard. Otherwise we'd just have asked them to delay their honeymoon."

"What?" / "Huh?"

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wonder if Zorina took no for an answer when she proposed. My other guess is that Capo Scott's lying and the two are on Earth 16 stealing from the Team and the Justice League.

sagemo, Bramble Thorn, Drode and 22 others like this.
  20. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Oh yeah, this is going to go over great.

21. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

Well, this is is awkward for OL and Zatanna.

22. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Add in

beside

Hahahahahaha.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...you know, the more I hear about this sidestory, the more I kind of wish it was the main story really.

Paul's Power Ring Blue shenanigans just seem so much more interesting that where we've been at in the mains timeline for a while now.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Hear that? That's the sound of Paul's excuse blowing up in the most spectacular way possible.

26. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

i have the opposite reaction

bleh on Renegade, Red/Blue/other color, other alt-verse chapter

i'm here for the regular orange juice one, not the spicy red hot pepper meme of red color, or the TOTALLY RADICAL blueberry color or any other color or the other SUPER GODLY orange that is all the rage with the kid

inset gagging noise

27. Buggy123

No, Zorina is very different from Zatanna, and Zatanna knows this. His excuse will hold up just fine.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, good old mad science labs, with a bit of wizard's workshop thrown in. Someone understands atmosphere.

...a burn scar slash across his right cheek and...

Ooh, tingly.

Wow, the Constantine hero complex got turned up in this one, didn't it?

Not sure if intentional, but 'outta' might fit better if not.

An airlock? Good safety practices.

...and Mister Scott leads the way along an adjacent corridor.

Olympia has no patience for politics, does she? One interesting point of difference to Diana.

What, no imposing desk? Guess he's going for the 'stern grandfather' type of Intimidation via Furnishing.

Huh, maybe Wilson isn't quite the hero he uses as a political image. Then again, this is Deathstroke.

"But I don't know if we can keep a lid on things for that long.
    (Flows a bit better this way. Could fit as his style of speech otherwise?)

Hoo boy. This is gonna get fun.

...What?

Yeah, what they said!

Oh, this is going to end up as 'pretend to be a married couple to keep up the disguise' thing, isn't it? Shenanigans incoming!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  29. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Seems the universe(s) loves to make Paul's and Zatanna's relationship constantly awkward.

30. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Well now that Zoat has moved over to QQ this story has many more directions that it can go then it would have back on SV. I don't know what is going to happen. Back on SV any relationship between them would have been impossible.