1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Gilhelmi, Drode, c3qo and 3 others like this.
  2. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

is B.O.T still Canon?
    ARGH!
    why did i bring that hot mess up? its in my brain now!

the end of their supprisngly/out-of-charicterly-good series is literally the only regret i have about the Death of the Devi- errr, 4Kids

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  3. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, I admit that the main draw of blue rings is that the qualities required for good blue usage are different then for orange rings, and would substantially help with recruiting more lanterns, since Dox already said that they were having a problematic bottleneck in recruitment. It's probably just on the list of 'things that should be done eventually', rather than something more immediate. (And I guess the improved stability for mortal races, a slightly different set of esosteric high level techniques, and so on)
    Hm... If FTL telekinesis is really *that* rare, it's actually totally possible to equip the fleet with it (if my theorizing is right, anyways).
    I mean, the thinking cap alone can't do it, but Paul did mention that he has the schematics for ship scale TK amplifiers from alien races, so I would think that such a rig could probably serve to outfit the fleet with an uninterdictable FTL system.
    (Or maybe it doesn't work that way?)
    Even if it doesn't work that way, the basic tech is probably worth considering spreading, since it is reasonably high tier for a wide variety of things and probably mass manufacturable.
    (I'd also include a bit about genomorphs and using them in the fleet, but there intellegent creatures, and I'm unsure how possible it would be to simply make unnetworked non-sentient genomorph stuff that could work for that sort of thing).
    (EDIT: Apologies, I'm bad at avoiding double posting)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Gilhelmi, Vorian and infinityDivided like this.
  4. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

We kept our VHS collection far longer, only really getting rid of it when we no longer had a VHS player that would play. I mean, why would you want to buy the same movie twice if you didn't have to? And unfortunately modern media is more about new releases. Or just likes some movies better than others. Like I keep seeing Weird Science on TV from time to time. But My Science Project, a similar movie from the same time period I have been on the lookout for on TV, but have not seen available for years. Remember a movie called Maid to Order about a socialite whose fairy godmother unpersoned 'It's a Wonderful Life' style her to teach her a lesson, and never I see it anymore, it is always Maid in Manhattan. When was the last time you saw The Fiendish Plot of Fu Manchu?

I feel like some of the old 80's (and even 90's) movies my old VHS collection I am never even going to be able to see again, because they have been forgotten about or buried under all the movies that have came out since then. And I had the original Star Wars trilogy box set from before Lucas went crazy smelling his own farts and decided to 'fix' the theatrical versions. There were like three boxed full of the old stuff I liked, and I can't even remember most of the contents. Man, now you got me all depressed.

Yes. They were called video cassettes, or video tapes, or just videos, or even just cassettes. You usually knew what they were talking about by context. Like Transformers episodes were of TV shows, so the cassette being an audio cassette doesn't make a lot of sense most of the time. (although book and audio cassette combos meant to be used in tandem were a children's product that existed way back then)

The tape was the magnetic strip the media was recorded on, and the cassette was the case housing it (as opposed to just a rolled tape spool in a canister like that used to have with movies, both home and big screen)

5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but it's still a lot of fun even so. Try to imagine being a sane scientist in this universe.

Xelloss likes this.
  6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

When he said it was a 2 sided casette, I assumed it was an audio drama, especially since there were apparently transformers audio cassettes, where the casette itself was a transformer.

7. pa$$word

pa$$word Getting out there.

Who keeps count? What do they do with that answer?

8. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

In context, it means it doesn't count as warranting a Like. You may note that Mr Zoat gives Likes to corrections posted by readers, and that the person he was responding to do not receive a Like from him on their post.

pa$$word and Bramble Thorn like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

6th February
    11:51 GMT

Stars are flashing past us, but we're actually moving relatively slowly. And as is Green Lantern custom when in the territory of non-hostile governments capable of tracking Lantern movements, we're letting them. Which involves us moving far slower than we could if we made an effort. A sign that we respect their territorial claims, and an encouragement to them to cooperate with our investigation.

"This will be immensely politically difficult."

The upper half of Lantern Canar's body might be humanoid, but… The plant-meat symbiosis in his body is so thorough that he has none of the body language which usually comes with that. Honestly, I can barely credit that the E'Fal are a naturally occurring species. I'm struggling to think of a way for that sort of hybridisation to arise naturally. Half his total mass is technically another creature, including several vital organs.

"Prisoners who receive transportation sentences are never allowed to return to Alignment core worlds."

No expression, no change in intonation. Might be something to do with his species living deep underwater. They wouldn't usually be able to see details on one another's faces. And the water would affect the sound… Atlanteans use intonation, but they all started as a surface-dwelling species.

Xor growls. "Why should I care about their rules?"

"I am aware of the failings of the Alignment legal system. But if you wish to perform an investigation, you should understand the environment in which you will be operating."

"Fine. Talk."

"Once the prisoner has been sent, there are no further avenues of appeal. Nor will an exception be made for an escapee."

"I did not escape. The crew fled."

"Technically, the law required you to remain where you were until a member of the crew arrived to remove you. I am aware that doing so would have been impractical, but I caution you not to expect any Alignment official you speak with to care."

"Do they know that the ship had an accident?"

"I reported the location of the ship when Lantern Stewart notified me. It is listed as 'wrecked', but neither crew nor prisoners have so far been recovered. Based on the final location of the ship it is quite likely that any survivors would have ended up well outside of Alignment space."

Guy looks at Xor. "Don't suppose you ever went looking for them?"

"Briefly. I tried to detect the beacons of the escape pods with my ring. I could not find them. But it is possible that mine was the only pod to survive launch. Or the others may have deactivated their beacons to avoid detection."

Ah yes, that wrinkle. Alignment FTL is fast, but when it goes wrong it goes violently wrong. Their escape pods are designed to in theory be able to survive a crash-transition back to normal space, but they're only really tested in… Well, test conditions, being dumped off fully functional ships. They're sensible enough to take data from crash survivors, but… That was why Xor's story about the crew abandoning ship as fast as they could rings true. Getting off as things start to go wrong is dangerous, but staying on board would have been suicide. I wouldn't be surprised if Xor's augmentations were the only reason why the radiation didn't kill him.

"And… You know, space is big. Really big."

Guy shrugs. "You couldn't find them, you couldn't find them. Just hate the idea of them stuck in a little pod and starvin' t' death."

"Pods have animation suspension systems. Anyone who survived the escape would be able to survive for a long time." Xor looks away for a moment. "The crew were in the government's employ. Not looking for them is dishonourable. But it does not surprise me."

"If they're not looking for the crew, can I assume that they're not looking for the prisoners either?"

Space jiggles as we switch from interstellar-appropriate speed down to something that would be considered non-hostile in a settled system.

"Their details are still on file, but none of them are famous enough to have gained widespread notoriety."

"Do they have surveillance systems that would automatically recognise Lantern Xor?"

"Not in most place-."

Xor bristles. "Why would I hide myself?"

"What were you planning on doing?"

"Confronting my accuser directly!"

"Lantern Xor, do you really think that's the best way to get the information-."

"Finding out who murdered Onisia will not restore her to life. Finding out why my employer betrayed me is what I want from this, and I can get that information easily from him."

"But if you did find out who really did it… If you had proof of that when you confronted him, how do you think he would react to that?"

"I still believe that he knows that I am innocent. But-."

"But..?"

"If it is as you suggested, then… Surprise? Gratitude? If he even listens before calling for a militia unit."

"Will it be easier or harder to investigate if we are having to fight-?"

"If we do not have to fight the militia it will be easier. I do know that. I am a soldier."

"Do you have any friends or family on the surface who might be able to provide you with information?"

"No family. Friends… Perhaps. Other War Hounds."

"You are a War Hound?"

"Yes. I completed my term of service and was honourably discharged."

"You are unusually fortunate."

Guy glances from one to the other. "Wanna fill a guy in?"

Canar's tail-fronds wiggle. "The Alignment takes the brains of orphaned children and places them in augmented bodies. They have found that adult brains cannot adapt to the change that comes from moving from an unaugmented body to one such as Lantern Xor now occupies. But there are other problems. Few survive long enough to muster out, and fewer still adapt to the social change. You were wise not to ask for a normal body."

Oh… Eris.

"I… Just thought that your species matured faster than humans."

"I did. The alternative was death. Most of the Alignment's soldiers are not augmented as I am. But… The militia officer who arrested me. He apologised."

"Yeah?"

"An officer would know how we are raised, how we are taught to think. He would need that in case he was called upon to command us. He would know that one of us would not commit a murder. He may have other information."

"But he would recognise you."

"Yes."

"Canar, take us to your government contact so we can formally introduce ourselves. After that, we'll split up and Guy and I will have a chat with that officer while you and Xor go through their databases."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  10. Ganurath

So... fuck the Alignment?

11. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

In praise of Eros for Xor chapter, when?

12. Uxas

Uxas Making the rounds.

With a baseball bat. Wrapped in barbed wire. Set on fire.

13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow, and that's a GLC allied polity?

Although, compared to what Earth countries get up to...

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Largely courtesy, though, since Lantern Rings are significant force-multipliers.

Yeah, whoever designed him back in the day must have been on the good drugs...

As if a hardened criminal would obey the law. I expect anyone without Xor's sense of honour would have been gone in five minutes flat.

Sheesh, some races, taking the quick and messy route to FTL.

It's not a walk down to the corner shops...

Kind of awkward if the cops recognise him...

Preferably with your fists?

... ... I suppose it makes a twisted kind of sense... But that's not cool.

Quite reasonable of him...

And hope nothing explodes yet.

Seriously, that's all kinds of messed up, man!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Drode, RGFJ, Vorian and 11 others like this.
  15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, the GLC doesn’t really seem to interfere in anything except interstellar attacks / alien invasions. Anything local, from genocides to wars, to unethical experimentation, and even the planet who cut out the eyes of their women, would likely be considered local politics and outside their jurisdiction, except if a galactic- level threat is already involved, like with Sinestro. It’s one of the things OL is trying to change with the OLC, which might become problematic if they try to exert too much control and shut down all the planets that cut out women’s eyes.

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I see what you did there. ;)

17. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, so how old is Xor?

18. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This conversation does not make sense to me. The alternative to asking for a normal body is death? Or the alternative to maturing faster than humans is death?

w34v3r likes this.
  19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

From how I understood it, their body transfer tech is imperfect. If he'd switched to a normal body on mustering out, he might not have survived the process, or suffered side-effects.

20. Mr Zoat

It refers to the fact that he wouldn't have been very old when he was sent into combat for the first time. If he had not mastered his body he would have died.

21. Ganurath

When Paul spoke of maturing faster than humans, he meant physically. Xor responded as though he were speaking of mental and/or emotional maturity.

22. Mr Zoat

Xor doesn't know.

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I took a VCR to our local e-waste recycling centre exactly a week ago.

24. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well how long was he in the military? That would let us guess what the lower bounds would be.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  25. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

No stranger than the insides of a human gut. Or mitochondria.

26. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

All of those examples are single cells. This sort of tight integration usually happens very early in a species' evolutionary history. You wouldn't get tightly integrated symbiosis at a macroscopic scale normally in evolution, because by the time you'd get to large multicellular life, they'd already be too specialized to autonomy to integrate cleanly.

27. Maelgwyn

Maelgwyn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Lichen then perhaps? That's the result of a fusion between a fungus and an algae.

Siskulous, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  28. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

We shouldn't really complain about the 'aliennes' of the aliens, usually they are just pallet swapped humans with weird quirks and mono-cultures, or humans with animal parts put on; we should embrace this one that even the Illustres can't understand or explain at a simple glance unlike Tamaranians or Thanagarians.

I mean, maybe it's a weird evolution between what in his planet was a Man'o'war and a highly specialized type of fish that were so successful in their symbiotic life that eventually the species became extremely co-dependent and finally the fish part of the organism achieved sapience due to a higher level of protein intake. But that's just guessing at best, maybe it's even weirder and that's great, more aliens should be as biologically weird and that way we don't subconsciously think about how we might pork that (or maybe that's just me and influence of Star Trek?).

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_o'_war

Though the parts of this one are all the same species I think.

30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

They are, according to that wiki page anyway.

A somewhat closer arrangement to that alien would be giant tube worms- They have no digestive system, they are dependent on symbiotic bacteria which provide chemosynthesis. So a life form that has another form of life acting as vital organ substitutes.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.