1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

"All three of our species have empathy, we have sympathy, we have a sense of fairness - they even tell stories like we do, they have art. Shouldn't that be enough? Wasn't that supposed to be enough? But all it does is put us into enough of the same reference frame that we can be horrible by each others' standards."
    --Three Worlds Collide, paraphrased

Seemed apropos.

2. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I prefer to be horrible by my own standard, as well. If everyone's horrible, no one is.

Wild Transient and Navi-Hank like this.
  3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Without spoiling too much: in this case though, one of the species is of an advanced alien race that values individual happiness over individual free will and don’t consider one a prerequisite for the other. The other one is a species that builds their morality system around the act of eating their own babies, which they don’t abuse and do value, in a ritual mass hunt. None of the species are willing to allow the others’ morality system to exist.

The point is, your own standard is still likely based on the general human standard to obviously value individuality and free will, seeing as you are making your comment about individual morality, as well as not harming innocents.

Honestly, it’s a great short story, but the author is a bit too much of a fan of Fate, and compares Fate SN to Shakespeare while also calling his futuristic space ship the Kiritsugu.

Drode, Vorian, Wild Transient and 3 others like this.
  4. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Could also be some kind of Lightning rod for magic.
    Any active magic will power the rune stones' glow.

Any eavesdropping magic will discharge onto the pendants instead of doing it's job.

5. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Personally I think that's more a discussion of cultural differences than politics. But that said it can be a very politically charged topic.

Wild Transient likes this.
  6. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Hey, that 'feed me' function of the orange light. If an alt. Paul learned to do that before he was able to acquire a personal lantern, would he have been able to use that function to feed on the orange light of, I dunno... say, he gets into a power plant or a small star or something and just wants that goddamned energy for this ring right now would that serve to recharge it in any way?

7. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat how did Paul get that much detail off of a yellow fear? I thought he was limited to orange desires for visions like that and just detected the presence of other emotions. Is he getting better at it?

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It's possible to do, it's just not possible to learn it within a single ring charge while being a remotely normal person.
    He's had high-grade empathy for a while. He can see the seven colours and images associated with them in other people.

9. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

As Zoat said, he's been that good at it for a while now. One of the best examples is when he met Blue Lantern Paul a year ago in story; he took a good look at all of his emotions. See here:

10. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Yeah, but theres a lot of remotely non-normal people around. I'm just thinking in hypotheticals, like if a DC vampire had gotten an orange ring. Feeding off other things is a base nature to them, I was wondering if a vampire had gotten one if they could use that to sort their shit out until they were able to acquire a lantern or something, was all. What-if's.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Feed me is a little more sophisticated than that. It also doesn't charge the ring.

While there are beings who could charge a ring manually, they're somewhat unusual and extremely powerful in their own right.

12. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Didn't Sybarite charge his ring by absorbing magic Demons are made of, wouldn't that mean that most wizards could charge it by directing their magic into it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Not just any demon. Incubi. Demons of lust, a specific form of desire, a type of avarice. I sort of doubt that just any magic would work.

14. Aeess

That was just the first one, he had a variety of demons after that. Also Zoat mentioned that it was the absorption of magic from the demons that was charging the ring.

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’d need to reread the Sybarite posts to be sure but I don’t think he discussed plans for going for Alan Scott’s Lantern initially, after his side-trip with the incubus. Did even the first infusion of demon-magic hook him so much he decided not to pursue it?

Wild Transient and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Aeess

Seems like it
    And here is Zoat explaining how consuming demons charges the ring

17. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I figured that Paul got yellow enlightenment during the terror thing arc, but Zoat didn't want to add extra quote marks. The orange marks are already a pain.

18. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Now we just need to find the Paul who has a ring set up like The Mandarin. (A gimmick I have a soft spot for.)

19. Buggy123

I've read it before, it was pretty interesting. And yes, while I'm still more-or-less based on the general human standard, what I mean is that if your morality system considers and accepts that every human a horrible person (including yourself), then encountering a race that eats babies is no longer a huge issue; "Oh, you consume and slowly digest your fully-conscious offspring? Cool, that's a pretty unique form of evil! Cmon, lets go get some drinks."

They're no longer a affront that you have to deal with, because if you were going to deal with affronts the first thing you'd be thinking is "Well, the closest awful person to shoot is myself, followed by that guy standing next to me, and then...".

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Didn't the Marvel verse Paul get dead, Hand Ninja rez'ed and then lopped off one of their Mandarin's hands?
    I seem to recall something about their Wisdom asking Mrs OL, Hella Goddess of the Dead, if she wanted to put on a cape and join in the fun.

EDIT:

Found it
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...i-thread-eleven.311139/page-810#post-17055294

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Drode, Bramble Thorn and reddraggone9 like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Someguy Somewhere likes this.
  22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

That’s missing the point of a morality system: the point is, that you follow it. Ideally, you strive to be good, and what good is is defined by the system. Everyone isn’t good, but tolerable people try to mostly be good according to the system and definetely don’t constantly try to get you to break your moral laws. The problem comes when others have different values. When they don’t even try to be mostly good according to your morality system. They are, be definition, irredeemably evil according to your system. For example, Muslim extremists obviously consider themselves good, but their morality system is based on a twisted version of Sharia Law. To them, the things we value as a consumerist culture are the great evils of our time and they will do nearly everything to wipe them out. To us, they are for much the same reason.

Those aliens are much the same. By allowing ourselves to feel pain, we are perpetuating great evil and are according to those aliens hurting the absolute good of the universe. Likewise, by not eating our babies and letting them live, we are perpetuating an evil according to the other aliens. They will do anything to make us do these things and ensure that their version of good is spread across the universe.

Drode, Buggy123 and infinityDivided like this.
  23. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

6th February
    16:57 GMT

"None?"

Xor's face is fairly impassive, but there's an unhappy undercurrent that I've learned to recognise.

Guy nods slowly as he scrolls through another report. "Yeah. You guys die a lot in the… War Hounds, but plenty live long enough t' leave. Lotta them re-up or join the…" He blinks at a translation that doesn't quite work in English. "Hidden Guard?"

"I could have joined them. I chose not to."

"Right, so there ain't all that many goin' back t' regular life. Which figures, seein' as how they're child soldiers who don't know anything else-."

Xor glowers. "We do. We are-." He takes a moment to simmer down, and I feel a minor surge of pride. "We have contact with the crew of the ships we are assigned to. And the civilians who live on and around the military bases where we are stationed. We do have contact with other ways of life. We are not dumb robot drones."

"Wasn't what I meant, big guy. Human kids get general education, advice on all kinds a' careers. You've been surrounded by th' army since you were… How old were you?"

"I don't know. I thought I left the army when I was ten. But that was ten years of service, not ten years of age. I don't know how old I was when I became… Me."

"Guess they didn't think you needed t' know."

"I didn't. I remember nothing of it. I don't remember remembering anything of it. It doesn't matter. Tell me about the other War Hounds who left."

"They don't last. War Hounds who switch bodies…" He presses a button and a series of faces appear, along with the amount of time they survived. "Two years, tops. Some of this… Yeah, they could be accidents. Think they're still strong and tough as… You. Still a lot of accidents, though."

"Why would they kill citizens programmed to be loyal?"

"Dunno. Maybe they don't want people talkin' to 'em. Don’t want people thinkin' a' their child soldiers as people."

I shake my head. "I doubt that's it. This isn't a government that's sensitive to public opinion."

"It isn't. And this… Why kill Onisia when they could just kill me? War Hounds are tough, but there are many weapons which can harm us."

"And why not just kill someone else? This Jaggar Ton guy looks like he's connected. And he's rich. This isn't a nobody who nobody's gunna ask questions about."

"I am a fall guy."

"We don’t know that." Guy flicks through publically available information sources, looking for… Depictions of War Hounds. "Everyone in the Alignment knows you guys are super-reliable soldiers. And Ton's known you personally fer years. No way anyone who's thinkin' about this fer a few minutes is gunna believe it. So what's goin' on?"

"The Crime Syndicate cowed President Wilson into submission by killing his wife and threatening to kill his daughter."

"Someone leanin' on Ton?" Guy thinks for a moment. "Could be. Hey, Xor? Orange said you got hired after stopping Ton gettin' assassinated."

"Yes."

"They ever find out who sent 'em?"

"I don't know."

Guy nods. "Canar, you find anythin'?"

"I have been working with public and government sources. Are you authorising me to use clandestine means to acquire information?"

Guy frowns, puzzled. "Yeah? Why you wading though that bullshit?"

"The Alignment is a functioning civilisation which is neither engaging in open war with its neighbours nor engaging in slavery or mass murder. Lantern Corps laws require me to observe their laws. Unless I am given contrary orders by the Guardians or an Honour Guard Lantern."

"Sure, orders away."

"Understood." Lantern Canar's eyes glow green for a moment as he forces a bypass. "It will take a little time for me to find anything."

"I don't suppose that the attackers are still alive, are they?"

"Doubt it." I look at Guy. "Come on, that wasn't a government hit. Or if it was, it was some hired guns who didn't know who they were workin' for."

"Sir? I believe that I have discovered something relevant."

"Yeah?"

Canar holds out his right hand and generates a construct of a well-dressed local woman. Xor's eyes lock onto her immediately.

"This is Onigar Ton, the daughter of Lantern Xor's former employer. She has been cited for 'political disruption' relating to the War Hounds."

"What's that mean, exactly?"

"The charge is used as a warning to well-placed citizens that their actions are unacceptable, as a prelude to more aggressive action."

"She is in danger?"

Ring, access data stores.

Compliance.

"I'm not seeing any orders for her termination. Lantern Gardner, you told me that we were investigating Lantern Xor's conviction. Is that still the case, or do you intend for us to attempt to undo the Alignment's conscription system?"

"I'm thinkin' about it."

"I don't recommend it. In a state like this you'll struggle to find an internal reform mechanism that you can use as an outsider. That leaves force, and I don't think this is sufficiently bad to justify it." He shoots me a disgruntled look. "Though if you think otherwise I'll be happy to support you. Incidentally, I'm not seeing a kill order either, though that might just mean that kill orders are verbal only."

"If she has information which we lack, it may be advantageous to approach her rather than attempt to locate pertinent data amongst the planet's entire noosphere."

"True. Xor?"

"Has she spoken of her mother's murder?"

"Nothing specific on record."

"She will.. recognise me."

"Yes, but your ring's orange. What do you want?"

"I had thought… No. I will not hope. I will remain here. You, speak to her." He blinks as Canar removes the construct, then turns to face me. "My judges all condemned me. Either they are involved with whoever framed me, or they are idiots. Onigar may have learned something about Onisia's murder, but unless the murderer has confessed I doubt that anyone else has."

"You sure you don't want to come? I can give you a holographic disguise."

"No. My-. I am not certain how I would feel. It is best that I do not."

"Alright. Guy, shall we?"

24. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Cited, not sited.

25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Actually... is this all a way to keep their child soldiers from breeding with their general population? Maybe there’s something off with either their brains (they’re not actually orphans), or their bodies sexual systems. Especially since she’s cited for activity related to War Hounds.

they might not care about civilian opinion, but they do abou that of the GLC

26. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Odd phrasing, but not impossible. Not sure if it's a typo.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Not what he meant...

A question still unanswered, really.

So he could have been anything from ten days to ten years.

Nice diversion. Guess this is actually bothering him.

Outside statistical norms, though? I wonder...

Translation convention, or a phrasing he learned from OL and Guy? Interesting.

Did they even investigate the attempt?

Extraneous space between word and quotation mark...

Ah, you're a good Lantern, not a decent one. (if you'll excuse the borrowing of 'This Bites' terms)

Patsies. Disposable thugs.

That was quick...

Canar holds out his right hand and...

Oh-ho.

She has been cited for 'political disruption' relating to the War Hounds."
    (unless intentional?)

So: 'Clean up your act and shut up, or...'

Easy, romeo.

Hopefully this whole thing doesn't get Guy busted back down...

Bit mangled. maybe delete 'made'?

Or... She's involved somehow. ...What, just saying...

No taking chances about blurting out something awkward.

Amazingly tense, for four guys sitting around talking...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  28. Buggy123

You're absolutely right about all of this. The problem is essentially that (by my morality system) all people who I know to exist are immoral, and do immoral things. This includes myself; I am immoral and regularly and unavoidably do things I consider immoral. It is effectively impossible for me or any other human being to be good or attempt to be good.

It is... theoretically possible for people who I don't find immoral to exist, but while I haven't exactly checked every person on the planet, I'm reasonably certain none of them qualify. The Baby Eaters don't qualify, and I don't remember if there are enough details about the Super Happy Fun People to give a answer on them. And I don't particularly care about the magnitude of immorality; past a certain point, I don't really think it matters if you've got 9,217 Immorality Points or 5,122,430,666 Immorality Points.

This left me with a bit of a conundrum, because morality is a fairly important factor in social interactions; a default of "BAD BAD BAD BA-" is really not very conducive to... anything. And you can't really sort by "badness" and set a cutoff, because it's all so high that I can't effectively distinguish between anyone; the only choices left are "everyone is bad" or "no one is bad". So, I basically just went with "no one is bad", and also created a 'meta-morality' system where I move individuals to the "everyone is bad" category if they are sufficiently annoying at the moment. That last bit might sound a little odd, but I would unavoidably lash out at anyone/anything that makes me angry anyway, and I think that's the most effective and succinct rationalization for that behavior.

So, by this system, Baby Eaters would get the default answer of "not bad" in most situations.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

The thick plottens.

Seems like the Alignment realised that "honour" and "totalitarian control" do not mix well and are silencing or discrediting War Hounds.