1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Yes, but he's stuck in Vega.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

Oooooh boy. That's, that's quite the lawyer-gasm there Zoat. I'm pretty sure it's a good thing you're on QQ, because I'm pretty sure anyone with a background in law will really enjoy that. ;)

3. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Has our Paul read the rulebook? He loves this sort of pedantic stuff?

4. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

The foreplay was a bit lacking, though, what with Alan not being a member of the League of Shadows. Medical care availability is based on societies, not species.

5. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

It's either that or they accidentally call up Larfleeze on their heads.

Let's face it: the Guardians had one good idea, billions of years ago (and it seems even that was given to them as they were retconned into not having invented Lanterns but were taught to make them by a time traveler) and have been coasting on it ever since.

6. A_Bibliophage

A_Bibliophage Getting sticky.

Or study the hell out of it looking for weaknesses to give them an edge if Larfleeze leaves vega there.

Korfayron, Razorfloss and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Or rather, didn't happen.

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, photo album browsing. Always fun.

I like this version of OL. He knows his shit.

Double space here.

Suspicious.

She's not following, I see.

Now she gets it.

"Giving him back his personal lantern wouldn't work because it's the wrong colour.

Guardians are Dicks.

Loophole abuse is fun.

Easiest way to break or dodge a rule is to know how it's written.

I doubt they'll like it, but again, Dicks.

Salaak, I could see memorising it. Sinestro's a bit more surprising. Probably the 'asshole superior' plot.

Joy of an AI unfucked by Guardian malware.

Purple Ray. Lazarus Pit. Healing spells. Earth is Bullshit :D

...Ehh... Iffy, and you know it...

Having another Green Lantern on Earth is certainly not prejudicial.

Ha!

"And you think the Guardians will buy that?"

IE until you can get a Blue lantern or snag a green somehow...

Ah, this guy is such a breath of fresh air.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Did she turn out fine? She seemed like a fairly bitter old lady with a big chip on her shoulder to me? Also i'm pretty sure she didn't have any kids. So she only mostly recovered from the mess Bruce left when she eventually ended things with him. At the very least he kinda ruined Dick as well as Tim's lives what with dating Barb and not really having any time for anything but being Batman or much interest in trying to be anything else.

DrThoth and Ardy like this.
  10. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Correction, Cadmus was the victor.

By forcing them to acknowledge that their behavior was having consequences and to take their heads out of their asses. The Justice League tempered itself after the Cadmus arc(even tried to disband before Green Arrow convinced them otherwise) and stopped being so threatening so Cadmus was no longer needed. Cadmus was gone because it's job was done, not becaue the League "beat" them(in fact the League openly and publicly admitted that it was their hubris that was at fault rather then just blaming everything on Luthor and the government for not accepting that "superheroes are always right).

11. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I remember the discussion from the last Common Sense chapters. But the Light still needs a distraction to get the Starro sample right? Last time I thought that Common Sense Paul would have more trouble with the attack on the Watchtower, but I didn't realize that if the Light fails to get the Starro sample, they can't really mind control the Justice League, which sidesteps the issue.

Also, the old corrections I posted a few days ago haven't been taken care of yet. Should I assume that you missed it/forgot about it, or that you'll just get around to it when you're not busy?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

I'll mark that down for this evening.
    Tried to find the Eiling quote and failed, so on his behalf:

"What do you call it when one side advances and the other retreats?"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  13. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Politics.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

• Rule 8 breach. Don't even start on this.
    Okay, this fic has officially jumoed the shark.

Making America's health care system useful to someone?

Zoat, there are limits to willing suspension of disbelieve, you know?

15. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

What do you call it when one side publicly takes the blame for everything that went down and the other side doesn't? The Justice League admitted fault for the entire fiasco, neither Cadmus or the government did. The Justice League took steps to change their behavior and regain the people's trust, and that was only because nobody would let the original seven go with their first idea of straight up disbanding the Justice League.

Cadmus existed to counter a Justice League that was showing to be increasingly going rogue, taking the law into their own hands and centralizing an obscene amount of power into said hands. With the Justice League no longer doing that, no longer being so threatening, what reason is their for Cadmus to remain operational instead of just folded back into the rest of the government(and spreading out all the technology developed by Cadmus)?

We've seen the future of Earth 12 thanks to Batman Beyond and the Zeta Project. The first plasma gun armed soldiers in 2004(which honestly might have already happened thanks to Cadmus), a heavily armed exosuit in 2017, and eventually a highly advanced military that looks like took strong ques from the Thanagarian invasion, Apokolips's attacks and even the Justice League itself.

16. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

The mistake you're making is that you're assuming that Cadmus represents the will of anyone and anything other than Cadmus.

Cadmus was never about transparency, serving the public good, or even checking the dangers of metahuman overreach; that was just their marketing slogan, much like the US Republican Party markets themselves as being for small government. Cadmus never used concerns over public welfare as anything other than a smokescreen to hide their own ambitions and agenda; in that way they had much in common with Lex Luthor, although they were less delusional about it all than he was.

The second of GhostKing 666's video series was quite telling: when Batman calls Amanda Waller's bluff and threatens to expose both his and Cadmus's secrets, she immediately backs down and never brings up Bruce's secret identity again, because she knows that Cadmus's methods and goals are so beyond the pale that no one who really knows what they get up to will believe their protestations that it's "all for the good of the US/the people/whatever".

The Cadmus arc was never about Cadmus ideals vs. Justice League ideals, because Cadmus didn't have any. It was a coming of age story for the Justice League itself, with its members pitting their vigilantism's ultimate aim of totalitarianism against their heroism's ultimate aim of protecting everyone, even against themselves.

17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Goddamn that was beautiful.

Otto von Saurion, Jaron and zerofarad like this.
  18. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Decidedly broken link

Still pointing to SB

Silly rabbits, trix are for kids

19. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

@mr_Zoat, thank you for the Earth-12 interlude! I actually wish it went a bit more into everyone's responses more, but it's nice for what was there.

Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  20. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Didn't he fool batman?

*Looks at new chapter *

He did. :D

21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

This reminds me of Wall "Teen Lantern" West and the Kid Lanterns.

Here's Hal making Wally "Teen Lantern" [​IMG]

And here's Stewart's deputies on Mosaic the Kid Lanterns in action [​IMG]

Not the same thing of course, the Guardians would not be amused if someone deputized Alan.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I assume that this is some colonial phrase with which I am unfamiliar. What is 'jumoing'? And should I be offended that you're accusing me of doing it with a shark?

23. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

jumping spelled wrong.

AtomicGeneral25 likes this.
  24. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Turn in your nerd card.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  25. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

26. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Since I don’t want to risk a rule 8 violation, I’ll just say that I enjoyed this paragraph with a smile.

Really enjoying Common Sense Paul, and the Vega storyline as well (haven’t commented in a while, so thought I’d extend back a few days).

27. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Lawyers. The most deadly of weapons.

This version of Paul seems to have been forced to stick to a low-power start, then settled into that role. Never going Full Power Mode.

But he's apparently had 80ish supervillains on the payroll for years, not counting all the non-villainous types like Jack Knight. Sooo, yeah, he must have access to some serious shit if he really wants it.

Guess he just needs some motivation to push him in that direction.

28. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

if absolutely nothing else, he could simply go public and make a (genuinely distressed) complaint about being robbed by a costumed Vigilante....

....actually, the best part is i think that'd actually be the nuclear option, and it involves no shady deals, unstable experimental tech-or..hmm
    trying to remember, does WW-12 have a Lasso of truth? i mean, if they're at all concerned about their reputation, a polite request to ask him to confirm/deny the accusation under a harmless truth compulsion, from someone he would trust as much as anyone he would wouldn't be unreasonable, would it?

Prince Charon, Navi-Hank and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It should be noted that this is a simple statement of the nature of the Internet as a whole. It couldn't exist at all without this scheme. It's simply not commercially viable or technologically sensible for a local ISP to be directly responsible for peering connections and backbone maintenance. Just as how it's better to have centralized control over things like power generation/distribution or water, the whole thing would fall apart if the backbone wasn't managed by a central authority.

Huh. At first I thought this was a misspelling of "wrangle" or perhaps a Britishism, but it turns out that it's an example of convergent evolution in linguistics: two similar words with completely unrelated etymologies coming to mean basically the same thing.

Usually one word.

Dude, that's a low blow on a site with a no-politics rule. ... though on the other hand I suppose that makes it the best place to make that kind of comment, because you can be sure it's not going to blow up on you.

Sinestro's whole schtick is "lawful evil". It's not about knowledge; it's about order -- following the rules, to the letter.

Want to think about something terrifying?

Lord of Order Sinestro.

30. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

"Hello. Look, I know you have my Ring. My only legal recourse to get it back would be to press a civil suit and unleash the lawyers.

"Now, while I'm sure Wayne Enterprises has a very large team of the most vicious lawyers money can buy and could likely stonewall any suit I brought for decades if needed ...

"Well, in order to bring the suit against you, I'd need to release the fact that you're Batman, which would be horribly awkward for you. But again, I don't have any other legal recourse and I'm not putting on a ridicules costume and attempting to steal my own property back.

"Look, just stop being a dick and return my Ring and we can let the matter rest. If not, I'll just have to file the civil suit and let you deal with the consequences of your own actions."

Yes.